Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #76  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning All. I sure did miss alot yesterday. I got alot of sleep (the advantages of no kids!) but didn't eat all that well/balanced. I managed to choke a salad down using some of that garlicky sour cream concoction and it wasn't bad, especially since I have been missing creamy garlic salad dressing.

Kathy, sorry to hear about poor Zuki. What a horrible thing to have happen! Hope the shot worked and that he is at ease.

Linda, I am glad to hear that after all your reading you'll be sticking with WW. I'm convinced it's the best program out there. I can't believe that I'm saying this because I have resisted exercise for the better part of my 48 years, but I think exercise is going to be the key for you and Kathy to get that last 7-10 pounds off. Even if you just tone and create more muscle you'll both be lean/mean fat burning machines. Now, having said that, I DIDN'T exercise yesterday! Just didn't feel good enough between the virus and the TOM. But, I'm back on my game today.

I did SBD in the fall of 2003. It was ok in the beginning and I lost about 9 pounds the first week but I couldn't stick with it. I think I lost a total of 16 and then gave up. In the 80's, I also did a bariatric Doctor's diet. It was very restrictive but I lost 80 pounds in 9 months. I really don't know how I stuck to it because it was lean protein or fish broiled or baked; any veggie except corn or peas; no starch; no dairy except eggs; no sugar; and the only fruits I could have where strawberries, cantaloupe, or grapefruit (I hate grapefruit). I could have Kraft FF italian (that's it!) and Ball Park Beef Hotdogs. The thing was that I could eat as much as I wanted. I did and the weight melted off. I didn't feel too good but I looked MARVELOUS! That was the only time in my adult life that I got down to 150 pounds. As much as I want to be there again, I will NEVER restrict my eating that much again. I really don't feel it's healthy. I can't even stand the site of Italian dressing or Ball Park Beef Hotdogs!

Frouf, I know you feel like you were an eating machine yesterday, but nothing you ate seemed outrageously awful to me. I know the quantity was a bit much, but I find that right before my TOM I am STARVING! I'm sure you'll settle down. Also, you don't feel good and you are pushing yourself to keep going. I'm guessing your body was trying to force you to stoke the furnace.

Deborah, do NOT give up. Just get back on the program and be religious about counting your 35 WPA's. When I do that I am much more committed to sticking with the program. Otherwise, I feel like I can keep eating "extras" (I don't call it cheating!) and rationalize that I have points left whether I do or I don't. I'm sure some of what you gained back was from stress eating and eating in situations where you didn't have control. I keep trying to tell myself not to stress eat with the thought that after I overeat, I'll still be miserable about the problem I was eating over but I'll have extra weight to be miserable about too!

Kathy, Hubby and I both love Desperate Housewives and Boston Legal but I didn't know they aired on Sunday! Everthing gets put on DVR here. I'll probably watch them some time today. We did alot of catching up on taping yesterday. We both also DVR and later watch our two favorite soap operas, As the World Turns and Guiding Light. I've been watching them since I was a kid with my Mom. No one else likes them but us, I think! Everyone else usually watches the trendier ones. It makes me feel close to my Mom by continuing to watch them. She died in November of 2000.

Last edited by Vickie; 02-21-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Good morning!

Froufy- the weekend came and between DH and DS someone was always on the computer. I guess that's what happens when you get a new one. Anyway, I needed to go to the store before dinner, and when I got home, I was too hungry to wait to make dinner, so I ate all the wrong things, including 1/2 a bag of potato chips. Paying for it this morning. All that salt swelled up my fingers and can't get my rings off. Really getting back OP this morning and drinking lots of water to get that salt out; also don't feel good from all the junk.

Deborah, join us back OP today? Okay?

Yay, to those with good WI's.

Linda - You'll be so glad you found us! I am a really slow loser, and can stay OP pretty good for the first 3 or 4 days, but was feeling as though I needed more than one meeting a week. Found this board, and these ladies have helped me make it through the week. Since I found this board, I have lost every week. Before that, I would lose one week, gain the next.............and so on. Finally feel as though I'm on my way. Thanks guys!

Lisa
Old 02-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #78  

Wow, it's so nice to see everyone so re-dedicated for this Monday. I need to do the same thing. Starting with our little trip, my eating has slowly spiraled downward. I need to get back on the water and no more little "extras." You guys are wonderful at inspiration!

And how's this for temptation - my sister is getting married in a few weeks, and asked me to make 10 pies for her "pie and ice cream" reception. Yowza! At least you can't really pick at a pie without having it be really obvious. If she wanted me to make cookies, I'd be sunk.

Later - gotta get the girls dressed and the day started.

Angela
Old 02-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #79  

Height: 5'7"

Goooooood morning, Core girls! How's it going this fine Monday morning? It's going to be nearly 80 degrees here today! Woohoo, I can feel the spring fever starting already!

My eating for the day is planned out and already plugged into Fitday. I am determined, come **** or high water, to be a very good girl today and not give in to the temptations that always call my name. Now just as I was typing that, I looked up at the open cabinet above my desk and see a bag of Ruffles. Light Ruffles, however, formerly known as WOW chips and affectionately referred to here in the office as "poop chips". We are a bunch of crazies! I guess I'm going to have to run them over to DH's desk so I'll stay out of them. I do have some snacks though, my banana and SF/FF white chocolate pudding (the delight of my day!) so I should be good to go! We'll see ...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #80  
Southside White Sox Fan

It'll be a high of 38 here in Chicago today! At least there will be sun. Going to eat breakfast now and then treadmill. Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #81  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Okay Kathy - enuf w/the cheeriness - after all it's MONDAY MORNING! ..and not all of us are enjoying the weather! It took me double the time to get to work this morning due to blustery swirling mounds of snow, all over the roads and cars skidding all over the place! NOT FUN!

...and I still have a headache!!! I've been popping Advil like candy all weekend. I know it's hormonal (TOM is lurking somewhere?), but still hurts. And as for going to bed early - finally got to bed a little after 11 pm, and then had trouble sleeping? YOu know when you starting thinking and worrying about stuff?.....was up a couple of times and needless to say I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning!

Linda - sounds like you have a PLAN - good for you - you're on the right track (pun intended). Kathy - you also sound like you are very motivated today - keep it up!

Vickie - glad you got some rest and are feeling better. ..and you're right. I reviewed what I ate and none of it is really that bad - just maybe too much eating? but I guess it's psychological cuz I feel out of control, and I'm eating not out of "need" but out of "want" which is harder to deal with!

Angela - good luck w/the pies - I assume they will be fruit filled (maybe sample the fruit before it goes in? )

Lisa - glad you finally got "your turn" on the computer!

Deborah - it's a new day - forget about the past and just start fresh!

I can't believe it's 11:30 and my yogurt is sitting on my desk!

Frouf
Old 02-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #82  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey this is just a quickie b/c i have to get some food started I'm having a cooking fest so I won't have to cook as much when the job starts (tommorrow) and have some healthy OP meals
WE went to an engagement party yesterday and it was allll desserts no real food no veggies I'll fill you ladies in a bit later
bbl
Kier
PS I did atkins and lost on it but! my family made me stop b/c I became a Raving B!tch
Old 02-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #83  

Hi everyone:

I've been away for a few days catching up with the kids and the housework. I had a good week last week--down another 1.6, which brings me to over 8 pounds. I'd really love to make my first ten next time, but I'm going to have to fight for it. It's PMS time again (already?) and my major symptom is continuous hunger.

Also, it's been pouring here all weekend and it's likely to continue for the next couple of days, so I need to find some other way to exercise besides walking. It's very weird to see this much rain. I heard on the radio this morning that we've all ready had something like twice the average rainfall for the entire year!

I'm going to try the resistance training, too. I have weights and a pretty good 12 minute work-out book right here, so there's no excuse. I just really hate it! I love aerobic exercise--even just riding a stationary bike, but I hate lifting weights. I know I need to do it, though. I have sore muscles I didn't even know I had from all the cleaning I did this weekend. Actually, I guess it would be more accurate to say that the places the muscles should be are sore.

I never did Atkins, but I have tried South Beach a couple of times. The quick weight loss is fun, but it never lasted for me, and I always got terrible cravings for bad stuff as soon as I got off the first two weeks. I'm finding that being able to have some rice or a potato every so often is really helping. I also got some of the WW bread that is 1 point for two slices. (How do they do it? Oh, it's half the size of a regular piece of bread. I guess this is Basic Math, not Rocket Science, huh?) I have been using the SB cookbook, though. A lot of it is very close to Core, if you avoid things that have too many nuts in them.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #84  
Southside White Sox Fan

Weigh to go, Cher! Congratulations on your success. You'll be at 10 pounds in no time flat!

I just got back from a grocery shopping trip. It was the kind I like where we only needed one or two things but I got to stroll through the store looking at new stuff or stuff I had never seen before. My Hubby does most of the grocery shopping from a list without me. So, periodically, I like to go and see what's new.

Well.....my Dominick's Fresh Store (run by Albertson's) has a huge Atkins and low carb section. I'd never looked there before. I used to be annoyed because they didn't carry Hodgskins Mills ww pasta. Well, guess where it is. There was a whole little mini mart with freezer stuff and everything. Linda McCartney frozen meals (I even saw one Core one!), soy cheese, organic everything. Hodgskins Mills even makes a macaroni and cheese dinner. Hubby and I bought Paul Newman candy bars. He got peppermint patty and mine is peanut butter cup. 4 points for 3 patties/cups. You know for the days when you just have to have CHOCOLATE (like now!). I finally found the 2 point pack of wheat thins. I've been looking for them since Kathy started talking about them. I LOVE wheat thins but CANNOT trust myself with an open box. We'll see how this goes. I was also looking for green tea. I bought a couple but I really want to stay decaf. The choices of decaf were very plain.

Ohhhhhhh and the best news of all....................there are two new instant SF/FF pudding flavors...................drumroll please....................lemon and........................cheesecake! Woo Hoo! I'll be making the cheesecake tonight. I'll give you the review tomorrow!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #85  

OMG! I am so there on the SF/FF puddings! I can't wait to hear what you think! How awesome would it be with sliced strawberries on top ... I am VERY freaked out at myself right now for getting so excited over pudding!!

The thing I've been looking for and cannot find anywhere is the Arizona Tea Total Trim Rx (pink grapefruit ... your favorite, huh Vickie???). It has Splenda, green tea, chromium, ginsing, L-Carnitine, and some more stuff ... anyway it only has 5 calories and since I hate-hate-hate diet drinks, this would substitute nicely! Now if I can just find it!!! It used to be at my Eckerd but when CVS bought them, they don't carry it anymore. I've written to the Arizona people and am waiting to hear back.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #86  
Southside White Sox Fan

I looked at the Arizona teas today because I was trying to find a SF decaf already bottled. You know I didn't find it! The store I was in did not have a good selection of that stuff so I'll have to try Jewel. They have a whole aisle of it. It's good that I don't like grapefruit anyway since I take high blood pressure medicine which it would counteract.

You know I just made the Black Cherry Trifle the other night with the frozen black cherries. The recipe called for SF/FF vanilla pudding but OMG how about the frozen cherries with the CHEESECAKE pudding! I'm just going to try it plain tonight. I'm already making chili and I'm not in the mood to be cooking more than that. Stay tuned!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #87  

Vickie, let me know how it turns out! I can't wait to go get some!

I took myself off of Lipitor (long story, can't get it until I change drs, yada yada yada) and I sure did miss my ruby red grapefruit during that time! Now that I can have it again, I can't find the Arizona version! And the Ocean Spray ??? Forget it. I can't afford the points!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #88  

Hi everyone. Froufie, your homemade soups always sound so good. Would you mind sharing? How do you decide what goes in them? How do you make them? I eat well for lunch if I have a big thing of leftovers to eat from all week, and soup sounds great lately.

Thanks!
Angela
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Hey, Hey, I did do the WATP !! Didn't really feel like it, but made myself do it. It's easier if you turn Leslie down and put on the stereo. They were playing tunes from Saturday Night Fever, so the whole disco thing fit right in with the walking.

I'm done eating for today. Nothing else but water!

BBL
Lisa
Old 02-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #90  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Congrats Lisa on the exercising - good for you! I am impressed!

Just had dinner - and it was a big one - but I still don't feel full - I am sitting it out for a while. I had some smoked fish/cherry tomatoes (appetizer?) while preparing dinner. Had some roast turkey breast (3-4 oz?), brocolli, (1/2 cup), steamed carrots (about 4 baby ones) and half a sweet potato (it was delish!). Then was preparing ds's lunch and there was this half a bagel calling my name - so I toasted it and had it (w/butter) - very good. Now I feel "hungry around the edges?", but will refrain from more eating. Soon to start chauffeuring duties (dd to dance class, oldest ds to friend's house, and have to take youngest ds for the ride as dh is going out jamming).

Dh will pick up dd from dance class - but should I feel guilty for not picking up oldest ds from friend's place? Still headachey and want to get into my jammies when I get home (around 8:30 pm) and don't want to go out again. It is still very miserable out - cold, swirling snow and very slippery roads (as the slush now freezes). He is 18 and I presume he can get home by bus? (friend's place is one neighborhood over - maybe 10 minute car ride, but probably 20-30 minutes depending on bus schedule?)...do you all drive your kids around everywhere? I sometimes feel like I am spoiling them too much

Vickie - I make soup of of ANYTHING and everything, but seems I now have a somewhat "typical recipe", which is (and you need a really big pot!): Take beef shank bone or any "cheaper cut" of beef, I usually "brown" it, add about one sliced onion, cut up baby carrots, cut up two stalks of celery...saute a couple of minutes...then add beef broth (either pre-made - the 1 litre tetra pak size) or water w/beef cubes. Add one large can diced tomatoes.... usually pre-seasoned (w/herbs and garlic), one large can tomato paste or campbell's tomato soup, more water, spices (salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning), a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, some splenda if too sour, about 1 cup barley (sometimes I will also add about 1/2 cup split green peas). This week cabbage was on sale (1 cent per pound!!!!), so I have chopped some in there - oh ya - also one can of red kidney beans - or whatever beans you like (drained and rinsed). So you bring this to a boil - then turn it down, cover and simmer for about 2 hours or so? Need to taste to adjust seasonings and/or sweetness. When done I remove meat if on a bone (shank) and cut up the beef, throw it back in the pot and discard bones.

This should make a huge pot which will keep well in fridge. I usually freeze a couple of single serving containers right away (well when it's cooled off a bit) for future use. Make two more containers right away for work, and put the whole pot in the fridge for family consumption. Dh LOVES the soup, and is now looking forward to one each week - I think cuz it's winter they are good and filling and hearty - think I will need to change my "recipe" once winter is over?

I am dreading going out in the cold - maybe a coffee at the drive thru will help?

Froufie

Last edited by Froufy; 02-21-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Closed Thread