Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Update: The Nestle GS Thin Mint candy is very good. It's like Thin Mints in wafer form. Despite being so good, I was actually able to handle that. I ate one, was in heaven, and put the rest of the bag in the fridge. The Pillsbury Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies are to DIE for! They are so incredibly amazing, they are dangerous! I'm not kidding. I don't know if I can eat any more of them. As soon as I took one bite, my mind immediately started telling me I needed to eat all of them, all 12. It was so bad that after I finished that cookie, I immediately brushed my teeth and used orange Listerine to try to get rid of the taste, and left the house for the gym. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't left. My DH doesn't even like mint chocolate and he's now eaten about 5 of them. They are like a drug to me, lol! Oh, it's bad. It's so bad that I don't trust myself even to eat another piece of the Thin Mint candy right now, and I handled that pretty well. I have the cookies hidden out of view. Unfortunately, I bought two 12-packs of them. The other is in the freezer. The expiration date is in November. I'm wondering if I keep them frozen if I can extend that to Christmas and serve them on Christmas Day. As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm wondering why I tempted myself like that! That was dumb!

Rennie, I will not be leaving you again! I'm here to stay! I have no more weddings to plan and no more antique shops to run! Getting and staying healthy is my top priority now! On that Military Diet link, did you see the Substitutions tabs across the top? I just noticed it. It has a substitute list for everything on the diet, including the carrots and cottage cheese! Instead of carrots, you can have squash, parsnip, beets, celery and bell pepper. However, squash would need to be cooked (wouldn't it?) which leads to me to believe the carrots can also be cooked. Instead of cottage cheese, you can have plain Greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, ham, or tofu. Even the hotdogs can be substituted. Instead you can have turkey dogs, soy dogs, tofu dogs, bratwurst, luncheon meat, deli meat, baloney, beans, lentils, or portobello mushrooms! Your competition with your son is cracking me up! Paying your other kids to catch him in the act made me laugh out loud!

Bewildered, woohoo on being a pound down! And yes, I like the positivity! You ARE 5 lbs down since last month! That's progress! As for the keto warning against nuts and cheese, whether you are doing low-carb or not, if you have "too much" of nuts and cheese, of course you're not going to lose. However, you can have it in moderation and lose just fine.

PrairieQueen, so what you're saying is you had lunch and dinner at the same time? It must have been very good! If you end up getting too hungry tonight, eat a salad with your water, lol! You can't go wrong with that!

Edited to Add: While at Kroger today without DH, I lingered in the health/organic food section and found they have both Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar and extra virgin organic coconut oil! They also have Smooth Move tea. (I went to Walmart for it when Kroger is within walking distance!) I didn't buy the Bragg's today since the coconut oil was so expensive, but I did buy the coconut oil. I'll take what I have left of the other coconut oil up to the bathroom, since I use it also as a moisturizer. I also bought a bottle of Kombucha, which I've never tried before. It's supposed to be a good natural probiotic so I thought I'd try it. I bought the cranberry ginger flavor. Hm, I just don't know what to think about it. It's kind of like drinking pickle juice. I've had a few sips. I imagine I'll have a few sips more, but like Rennie with her cinnamon cottage cheese, this may take a while! It's only a 13.5 fl. oz. bottle, and although someone might be able to just swig that down, I'm not that someone, and I'm thinking it might take me a couple of days! I'm just not too sure about it!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-08-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #467  

I'm still keeping up with this comparison although it's not as accurate as my graph. Because of possible water weight gain on the 3rd of each month, this doesn't quite accurately depict how much I've really lost month to month. It's still fun!

Slow Carb Diet Progress Last Time vs This Time

LAST TIME:
Start Date: July 19 2013
End Date: February 2014
Start Weight: 211
End Weight: 168

1 month, Aug 19: 199 lbs, -12 lbs = -12 lbs total
2 months, Sep 19: 191 lbs, -8 lbs = -20 lbs total
3 months, Oct 19: 184.5 lbs, -6.5 lbs = -26.5 lbs total
4 months, Nov 19: 178 lbs, -6.5 lbs = -33 lbs total
5 months, Dec 19: 173.5 lbs, -4.5 lbs = -37.5 lbs total
6 months, Jan 19: 170.5 lbs, -3 lbs = -40.5 lbs total
7 months, Feb 19: 168 lbs, -2.5 lbs = -43 lbs total

THIS TIME:
Start Date: May 3 2015
Start Weight: 220

1 month, Jun 3: 204.5 lbs, -15.5 lbs = -15.5 lbs total
2 months, Jul 3: 198.5 lbs, -6 lbs = -21.5 lbs total
3 months, Aug 3: 194 lbs, -4.5 = 26 lbs total
4 months, Sep 3:
5 months, Oct 3:
6 months, Nov 3:
7 months, Dec 3:

8 months, Jan 3:
9 months, Feb 3:
10 months, Mar 3:
11 months, Apr 3:
12 months, May 3:
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #468  
maintaining since 9/2013

Week 1 169.9 6/9/15
Week 8 High 167.4 Low 164.6 AVG 165.8
Week 9 High 167.2 Low 165 Avg 165.9
Week 10
8/8 163.8
8/9 166.2 (+2.4)

It was a good day yesterday, just had a full breakfast and felt satisfied. If not for an extra late evening meal just before bedtime, I would have had a lower number today. No regrets!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #469  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Well, I didn't follow through with dinner plans last night. Hubs was "crying" for food last night around seven, so I went scrounging in the deep freeze for something quick. I found some bean with ham soup and warm it up. I couldn't resist but only had 1/2 serving with slice of sourdough. Up 0.2 lbs today but feeling puffy and blame it on the soup. I can't believe how much I notice salt in my diet now that I've cut out all processed foods.

Anyway, today will be good! Later breakfast was last of roast turkey and slice of sourdough. Lunch/dinner combo cookout today!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #470  
maintaining since 9/2013

Good morning everyone! Huge THANK-YOU for all the support. It's beyond my words to express how incredibly helpful it is to read your posts. And the accountability without judgement is like a magic key! I can honestly say it's fun to figure out all this weight/WOE stuff because of you ladies. I am so grateful.

Jacqui Congrats on moderating the Nestle! Oh my goodness I was right there with you wanting to eat ALL the Thin Mint cookies. And I would have if it had been me! My 2 cents is that if they are calling out to you in the least, get them out of your house. Either give them away or throw them away, crumbled up and covered with detergent right in the trash, if necessary! I hate to discard food, but the ones that call out to me are the exception. I hope your DH did not forget to leave the pumpkin doughnuts for another Carb Day!

It looks like you are losing a little faster this time around. WTG!! I just know you will get back on your downward slope soon. Just don't forget to talk sweetly to the genii that resides in the scale

Rennie Go YOU!!! I have to take a moment & read through your plan, but wanted to say I love cottage cheese. Sadly my skin does not like dairy. But if your plan allows, here are some savory ways I used to eat it....in tomato soup--really yummy!, on an open tortilla like a quesadilla. Sprinkled with a bit of garlic powder & (cheddar if allowed). Rolled up in lettuce, baked in lasagna. There were only certain brands I would eat--had to be 'just right', lol.

I think it's fantastic that your kids are on board with your weight journey! I love hearing what they are saying Fwiw, I'd say put them to work helping with meals so that you have room to focus on your WOE! Maybe easier said than done. I do not have kids. So you see, you absolutely could compete with me, taking into account that I just have to feed myself and also no longer have to deal with hormone-induced cravings & hunger. Rennie, I'm also thinking you might like one of the 3FC challenges. Both Jacqui & I are in the August Weight Loss Challenge. You just pick your goal for the month and post daily, weekly, or whatever suits you. it can even be a behavioral rather than wt. goal It's kept me out of trouble more than once
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...challenge.html

Last edited by mars735; 08-09-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #471  
maintaining since 9/2013

Bewildered Congrats on the -1lb! My 2 cents is you are doing better than you think! 5 lbs down from 7/4 is significant!!!! Moreover, you have been figuring out what works & doesn't. I think our bodies are designed to maintain an equilibrium, so it takes a while for it to adapt to burning fat. If you lose fast, your body will want to put the wt back on and you may experience cravings and want to binge. But if you do it like you are doing, trying to learn as you go how things affect you, but also enjoying your food & not starving yourself, I think your body will gradually adapt itself. I love to hear the new things you are trying!

Carol Sue I just laughed and laughed picturing you sitting in the buffet with DH: "should I tell him it's calamari or shouldn't I"? And the look on his face when you did. I once ate jellyfish tentacles thinking it was fettucini.

Prairie Queen

chickadeee You are missed. I hope you are doing well and are able to drop in soon.

Well, this is getting really long, carbs do make me gabby! I'm sure I'll be back but better give everyone a break for now!

Last edited by mars735; 08-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #472  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I refuse to get on the scale today, as my blood sugar was high last night and this morning. I thought I did good at the picnic, but the chicken did have breading on it. I think I am extremely sensitive to carbs. Any time my blood sugar goes up I know I did something wrong. The only other things I ate were some deviled eggs and a small portion of coleslaw. I know it has sugar in it, but it seemed a better choice than the potato salad. There were tons of sweets there, but although they looked good, sweets don't do a lot for me, and I stayed away from them. I've only been taking half doses of my diabetes meds so my insulin should be going down.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #473  
maintaining since 9/2013

Carol Sue Fwiw I think you are on the right track, making the best choices in challenging conditions, and working to reduce the meds. It seems like the scale would be the last piece of the puzzle to reflect the changes. Your will power ROCKS! Major NSVs!

Last edited by mars735; 08-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #474  
`

I’m feeling extra lazy today. My foot is still not happy with me so I am calling today “exercise rest day”. I did get lots of walking in running errands this morning so only couch potatoing the afternoon/evening. I got a new hand blender/mixer to make my bulletproof coffee more frothy and less required off and on stirring since I’m a sipper. It is going to take some getting used to. I had less than half of my travel mug full and still kept making a mess with it. I could only imagine if I had used the high setting.

Thankfully, the scale is still headed in the right direction giving me nothing to complain about today.

Week 1 - High 238.6 - Low 234.0 - Avg Daily 236.0
Week 2 - High 237.0 - Low 232.6 - Avg Daily 234.6
Week 3 - High 237.0 - Low 233.6 - Avg Daily 235.0

Week 4
8/08 - 236.0
8/09 - 235.6

Last edited by Bewildered; 08-09-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #475  
`

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!

Rennie, I plan to stick around. I have committed to posting every day, the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding my eating. I need the accountability because while I know I will never be perfect, hopefully I won’t go off the rails more than a day here and there. I need y’all!
I hear you about the bacon! I have heard of some crazy things with bacon and have tried a couple that I was so surprised at how good it was together. Specifically the sweet stuff that I won’t go into or I’ll be dreaming about it. Anyway, this is my first time getting bacon or any meat at a meat market so now I am spoiled.

Prairie Queen, the turkey and sourdough sounds soooo good! Good for you avoiding processed junk!

Jacqui, that is awesome that you have lost 26 pounds in 3 months (both times, too!) Your plan seems to be a perfect fit for you!
You rocked Carb Day as I knew you would! I think giving in to temptations occasionally keeps us sane and you did great!
It is so great when we find better prices/quality at surprising places. I was shocked that Trader Js OVCO and EVOO were cheaper than WalM’s. And I am sure, better quality, too. Plus there are no sales taxes up here.

Mars, Yay for no regrets! I’m so glad that you had a good day!
I was hoping my body would adapt itself to the added fat and I probably didn’t give it enough time, but a solid week of upticks was just too much after reading that at the worst, I should have been maintaining. Anyway, I ETA (thought) I mentioned it in my morning report that I had cut the added fat in half (mainly the grass fed butter and OVCO). BUT, in reading the benefits of CO, I’m missing that mark by only having the one serving instead of two. So, back to the drawing board. Plus, TMI reasons, too. That just dawned on me that I haven’t had the OPB in the last couple of days along with the nuts and cheese so maybe all of that (even in moderation) does not agree with me, weight loss wise. Sorry, talking out loud here.

Carol Sue, it sounds like you did wonderful at the picnic! I’m sorry to hear about your blood sugar not feeling the same. I know some people put apple in their slaw, but I’m not sure how that affects blood sugar? I’m sure things will get better with the new week.

Last edited by Bewildered; 08-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #476  

Where did the day go?! It's amazing how time can get away from me! I'm just now coming online for the first time today, and I missed the Y's Sunday hours, so I'll have to hit the CardioGlide tonight while I'm watching my guilty pleasure, "Big Brother," lol!

PrairieQueen, bean and ham soup with sourdough bread sounds delicious! And since it's probably your own homemade soup and bread (since you make lots of your own stuff), it makes me believe it's probably even more delicious than I'm even imagining! Being up .2 is not a bad gain at all, so that was totally worth it! I hope you've done well at the cookout today!

Mars, I'm an out-of-sight, out-of-mind person, so I put the cookies in one of my cookie jars (I collect Hull and McCoy brown drip pottery dishes, so I have 4 cookie jars ) and I haven't even thought about them today. My DH will finish them off. I will save the frozen batch in the freezer in the basement until Christmas, and see if they cook up properly then. If they do, everyone will eat them up quickly enough. I won't buy them again! That was a little too much temptation! And yes, DH was good and did not bring home pumpkin doughnuts, lol!

Carol Sue, good choices! Coleslaw is definitely better than potato salad! I'm glad you don't have cravings for sweets! They're evil, lol!

Bewildered, thanks! I'm afraid y'all had more faith in me on this Carb Day than I did, lol! I was very happy to make it through keeping it moderate! I'm sorry your foot is bothering you! I'm glad you are going to give it a rest.

Rennie, Chickadeee, Mary, Obie!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-09-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #477  

So today is the first time I've tried Fage yogurt, and it's really good! I found it in the health food/organic section of Kroger also. It's thicker than the other yogurts I've tried, more like a pudding consistency and less liquid-y. I really like it, with Mio that is. I also cooked my eggs in my new extra virgin organic coconut oil. I didn't taste any difference, but my DH, who didn't know I had even bought a different kind of coconut oil, noticed right away that something was different and he didn't like it. Figures! Now I'll have to cook our eggs in two different pans!

Week 14: High 194, Low 192
8/2--193.5
8/3--194
8/4--193
8/5--193
8/6--193.5
8/7--192
8/8--193 Carb Day

Week 15:
8/9--193.5
8/10--
8/11--
8/12--
8/13--
8/14--
8/15--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Fage Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Large field greens and veggies salad, with turkey, walnuts, and ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Smoked sausage
Baked beans
Salad with ranch dressing
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
20 minutes on the Weslo CardioGlide at home

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-10-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #478  
maintaining since 9/2013

Jacqui The Hull & McCoy brown drip is nice! That's great that you can keep those treats for others or another day. If I managed to do that, I think I could also levitate, lol! Great that you are up only .5 after Carb Day. But not surprising since you exercised such restraint! Enjoy your Big Bro workout!

That's funny that your DH noticed the difference in the oils. I had a similar experience, except it was the same coco oil from Costco. The first tasted sweetish, the one I have now has almost a soap-like taste. Yet I still like it.

Bewildered Y'know, I too had to dial back my fats to get the scale moving. We're all so different..some people can consume a lot and still lose. I can't wait to get to my goal because I will up my fats right back, especially avocado. Even when I was a lot younger and active, I just could not lose if I ate PB. I had a good plan that included a TBS of PB on one of those super thin-slices of bread for lunch and the scale just would not move until I eliminated it. It's all data! I hope your foot is feeling better. It has had quite a workout these past weeks!

I am on the runway for vacation, 10 more days. That means it's not as hard to stick to the eating plan. Getting home is when it becomes challenging! I'm planning to avoid the provided treats & stick to my usual Carb Days.

Last edited by mars735; 08-09-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #479  
maintaining since 9/2013

Week 1 169.9 6/9/15
Week 8 High 167.4 Low 164.6 AVG 165.8
Week 9 High 167.2 Low 165 Avg 165.9
Week 10
8/8 163.8
8/9 166.2 (+2.4)
8/10 163.8 (-2.4) Sleeping in helps!

B tomato omelet, whey shake/coffee
S cabbage roasted in chicken drippings/Bragg's amino
L salad, kidney beans, chicken, evoo
S whey shake. coffee, Bartlett pear
D turkey chili
S summer squash, tomato, onion, evoo
9 cups Hibiscus sangria tea (free sample--meh)
exercise was vacuuming, etc

Wishing everyone a good start to the week!

Last edited by mars735; 08-10-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #480  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I tried cooking my eggs in coconut oil and didn't like it. I really like them cooked in Pam because cleanup is easier. DH cooks them in butter and his are really the best. My mother used to cook them in bacon grease and I used to like that, but I tried it recently and don't like it any more. I am not big on bacon. It is OK on a BLT or a Bacon Turkey Club, but not by itself. I prefer sausage.

The cole slaw at the picnic was from the supermarket deli. Basic recipe, which usually includes sugar. I like my home made because I make it with no sugar and don't even notice the difference. I love cabbage, cooked or raw, so I love cole slaw. Just might make some today now that we've been talking about it.

Jacqui, when I was reading up about resistant starch, it said that if potatoes are cooked and then refrigerated and served cold, they become resistant starch and won't raise blood sugar. It's a little hard to believe, but the few occasions that I have eaten a small portion of potato salad, I have not noticed a spike in blood sugar. One time I bought some Bobs Red Mills Potato starch. You are supposed to mix it in water and drink it, but it has a weird taste, like drinking the water you cooked potatoes in. I forget what it's supposed to do for you, but I wanted to add it to hot food. Then I read that when heated, it is no longer beneficial. So the bag sits in my pantry.

I'm glad I don't have cravings for sweets, too. Before I started this recent stint of lower carb, I bought a bag of snack size Mounds bars and York Peppermint Patties. I ate a couple, then none, because I started low carb. DH, who doesn't even like chocolate ate most of them. Last night he came out on the porch with what he says was the last one and gave it to me. I didn't really want it, but I ate it to make him happy. The peppermint patties are still there because he doesn't like them. I seem to forget they're there, because they are in the bread box and I don't eat bread. I will probably pop one in my mouth now and then, which I don't think is too bad. Chocolate candy is my only sweet indulgence. If it was Hershey's Kisses it would be a whole nother story!! I can't buy them. I have eaten a whole bag of them in one sitting. It's good to know your weaknesses. I like brownies too, but they have to be very fudgy. I usually don't even try them when I see them because if I bite into it and it's not fudgy I will feel as thought I indulged for nothing. My indulgences have to be really worth it. I hate that I'm doing so good at avoiding carbs and still not losing.
Closed Thread