Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #421  
maintaining since 9/2013

Jacqui a faster acting remedy that's been around for a long long time is magnesium citrate. It acts in 4-6 hrs, comes in a bottle of ~8 oz, fruit flavored. I will look it up, but not sure how to cut n paste on mobile . I don't think it has contraindications except colon disorders like IBS.
My big chain grocery store's pharmacy stocks it. It's OTC. I think once you get past this you might just get that 192. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #422  
maintaining since 9/2013

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...604183-product

Last edited by mars735; 08-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #423  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Bewildered and Mars! That's what I love about our group! There is always so much help and support offered by all you lovely ladies!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #424  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

jacqui- surprised your stomach trouble with all the yogurt you get in! I have found that coffee gets me going if you know what i mean.

mars- did not think of cheddar in salsa but sounds good. i always say, "you know the only thing that would make that better" to my sister's diet food...and then I say something totally horrible. So you know what would make your cheese and salsa even better...a big ol homemade flour tortilla around it LOL Just kidding...I rarely eat tortillas

I did horrible yesterday. I just got some werewolf crazed look for food. I. Was. Hangry!!! I ended up and grabbed a handful of sun chips, about 15 almonds, and 3...THREE diet mountain dews. I am still trying to avoid artificial sweetener but I binged. Went to bed hungry anyway. Anyway, thinking today was gonna be bad. Woke up SIX POUNDS from my start weight! YAY! I guess my body was getting ready to drop the weight an my brain was like "wait, i'm starving...I'm a delicate flower!!!!" So I guess dropping the 3 allowed starch exchanges were more critical to losing weight than dropping the DMD but I am still gonna avoid sweeteners.

So I'm at 2 lbs a week and I do think that's actual weight not water...I dropped water before the diet when I started doing water heavy.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #425  
maintaining since 9/2013

Mary You totally cracked me up! It's a good thing I just ate lunch or I might be out the door to the tortilla store.

Congratulations!You worked hard for that drop & I bet it IS the real deal & not water. I wish I understood that hunger that precedes the whoosh. Then maybe it would be easier to withstand it. Good for you for putting brakes to the 'binge'. Not sound like an enabler, but it wasn't all that bad compared to what it could have been, and you kept track too.

Last edited by mars735; 08-05-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #426  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

speaking of enablers,mars...went to have my tb test read as it has run out and i need it for clinical. The nurse practitioner was a chunky woman and since I paid my copay and I was asking her about the crepitus in my knees and she told me to quit walking for exercise and that I should not be worried about a diet because everybody gains weight in nursing school. Um, gaining a few pounds is one thing but I'm obese already!!! So of course I will continue walking! I am doing step aerobics when I can't get away from the house and I already feel more balance and stronger in my hips.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 AM   #427  

Mary, with all the yogurt I eat, I'm surprised too! Perhaps the live cultures in yogurt, although good for overall digestive health, are not powerful enough to treat this particular problem. Your post cracked me up too, delicate flower!

So, I picked up a probiotic that specifically mentions aiding constipation and I'll start that tomorrow. I also bought Smooth Move tea, and I really like the taste. It's reminds me of black licorice and I love black licorice. I hope it helps! If not, I'll have to take the next step up, Miralax, and then go from there.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #428  
maintaining since 9/2013

Week 1 June 9 169.9
Week 8 High 167.4 Low 164.6 AVG 165.8
Week 9
8/1 165.4 Carb Day (+.8)
8/2 167 (+1.6)
8/3 166.2 (-.8)
8/4 167.2 (+1)
8/5 165.4 (-1.8)
8/6 165.4
8/7

B omelet with onion, salsa
L salad, chicken, beans, evoo
D turkey chili, broccoli, roasted cauli, butternut, red onion, coconut oil
S whey shake/coffee veg soup
2L vanilla spice tea, which is not herbal. Oops!
ex: none

Last edited by mars735; 08-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #429  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Jacqui, my experience with magnesium citrate is "don't go far from the bathroom!" Also, it seems to have a rebound effect. You're constipated even worse the next day. Hope you get relief soon.

Normally, I don't have bathroom issues. In fact, a normal day for me is to go 3 or more times per day. Since I have been doing LC for these 6 days that has changed drastically. I'm using my stool softeners.

I've heard about cortisol. I think the pain I've been having causes stress and inflammation of my body, which in turn raises my cortisol levels. Also, I have not been walking as often as I should, so that could add to the problem. I know that it takes more than a low carb diet to lower blood sugar. Also, diabetics have to watch protein intake, too, as excess protein can be converted to glucose.

Today I am on day 7 of low carb. I think I'm averaging around 40-50 gm of carb depending on how many veggies I'm having. Yesterday...well, lets call that carb day. I was not feeling well, a little weak and shaky, and I ate a few bites of the mashed potatoes I made for DH. Just enough that my weight is back up a bit today, but I'm not concerned. I have been taking my full dose of glimiperide due to the higher blood sugar, and it causes a surge in insulin, which we all know causes weight gain. Today my FBG is much better, so I will be cutting back to half doses of the glimiperide, which should release some weight. My plan is to eliminate the need for it.

Mary, if you have access to a pool, walking in water is supposed to be much less stressful to the knees. It would help me, too, but I don't have access to a pool. I just wear an elastic knee brace when I walk.

Bewildered, I'm sorry to hear of your back pain. My back is really screwed up and has been for years, but my problem is more limited movement than pain. I have trouble bending over. Of course, a lot of that is because belly fat doesn't bend. LOL I did a seated job for 47 years, and that didn't help, either.

Mars, I am still amazed at those of you who mention "hunger." Why do I never feel hunger? Am I really eating so much that I don't get hungry, or has something gone awry with my hunger mechanism? I've heard of that. Lack of hunger doesn't stop me from eating, though. I eat because it's mealtime, or because I know that going too long without food is not good. Maybe it's just the low carb. I've heard that low carb causes hunger to go away.

I sure wish we'd hear from Chickadeee. I'm getting worried. She did not seem to be in the frame of mind to just stop posting.

Rennie hasn't been here either, but she's usually popping in somewhere else in 3FC.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #430  
`

I think today is Ticker Day, but I’m not sure what time I will be official...my rollerblading dancing girl is no longer at the factory so I picked out a fish with big lips. It makes me giggle so I will try it out for awhile.

My experiment to count every single calorie including the veggies went as expected. I ate more than I normally do overall and had about 500 calories in liquor, but no other added sugar all day. And it said I burned close to 500 calories riding the exercise bike 5+ miles and i don’t think that is accurate. Anyway, my total calorie count was in the high range of what I normally go for, but still below what I burned for the day. So, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that I continue to gain weight. I finished off my Tillamook cheese and I won’t buy more. I finished off my almonds and won’t buy more. I’ve ditched the milk again and will get some local cream for my coffee and weigh my servings. I will continue to weigh everything that isn’t veggies to make sure my portions are in control. Other than that, I am going to the meat market today to get some bacon and meat. Back to basics, veggies and meat mostly with the added fat oils and no alcohol for awhile. Hoping that ditching most of the dairy and nuts will turn this around...I refuse to eat less than 1400 calories a day. I’m a big girl and the weight should be dropping off at 1600 calories a day plus exercise. 1500-1600 is my daily average. MFP says I can eat almost 1700 calories a day and have a healthy loss even without exercise. So, I'm blaming hormones.

I’ll be back later for personals. Have a groovy day y’all!

Week 1 - High 238.6 - Low 234.0 - Avg Daily 236.0
Week 2 - High 237.0 - Low 232.6 - Avg Daily 234.6

Week 3

8/01 - 233.6
8/02 - 233.8
8/03 - 234.0
8/04 - 234.4
8/05 - 235.8
8/06 - 236.6
Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #431  

Carol Sue, great job on 7 days of low carb! In my opinion, quick-carbs as medicine to bring your blood sugar back up when it's gone too low count as "allowed" foods even on low-carb days! I'm glad your fbs has come down, even if it did take meds to make it happen. The way you are on top of everything, I have no doubt you will eliminate the need for glimperide! Messing up my digestive system even more, like you described, is exactly why I decided to start out with the milder solutions to my problem first. I'm hoping to avoid anything drastic if I can! I am like you when it comes to hunger. I won't say I never feel hungry, because just the other day, when things first started going awry for me, I felt hunger, but that was unusual. Typically, I have to make myself eat because I'm not hungry at all. I wonder if our lack of hunger has something to do with you being diabetic and me being hypoglycemic. I have to add, though, that when I wasn't eating slow-carb, I was hungry a lot, so eating well definitely plays a part in it for me. As time goes on, it will be interesting to see if my hunger returns as it does for most dieters. Around the 6-month mark, I should have my answer!

Mars, your vanilla spice tea may not be herbal, but it sounds wonderful! I have always been a tea-drinker, and I don't think you can go wrong with any tea!

Bewildered, yay on it being ticker day! How fun! Like you, I have to watch my intake of dairy and nuts. Milk is not a problem since I rarely consume it. Cheese would be a problem if I didn't severely limit it. I eat a lot of yogurt but so far it hasn't interfered with my losing weight. And the last time I was on the Slow Carb Diet, I snacked on nuts a lot and often overdid it. This time I only add them to my salads. For me, dairy and nuts can definitely cause the scale to stall, so I have to be careful with them. I'm sure the changes you're making will help!

Chickadeee, we care about you and miss you! Please come join us again when you can! You are in our thoughts!

Rennie, How are things going? Check in when you get a chance!

Obie, where are you? Are you still on vacation?

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-06-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #432  

The Smooth Move tea did the trick and I am feeling much better! I wish it had taken effect before I weighed myself this morning, but hopefully everything will go back to normal now and my scale will start moving in the right direction! :

Week 14:
8/2--193.5
8/3--194
8/4--193
8/5--193
8/6--193.5
8/7--
8/8--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Turkey
Golden cherry tomatoes (didn't feel up to a whole salad) with ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Bourbon-marinated salmon
Green beans
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk around the track, stretches and back exercises at home

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-07-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #433  
`

Mary, WTG on the 6 lbs! You are making great progress!

Mars, looking good girl!

Carol Sue, great job on 7 days in and doing so well on "Carb Day"!

Jacqui, I am so happy that you were able to get things moving again! I can't wait to see what the scale has to say tomorrow!
I know that I get sidetracked pretty regularly and forget to thank you for all that you do for us. You rock, sister! Just know that although I'm spacey on a good day, I always appreciate everything you say! Your family is so lucky to have you in their day to day.

I guess I will call Sprite Day my Carb Day for the week. Then I can move on with my bad self.
I spent $40 at the meat market on local grass fed meats along with some local farm raised pork/bacon That should help with portion control. I didn’t get that $20/lb rib eye that I had my eye on and man did they look better than the ones in the grocery store! I was told the sirloin (I think) for half the price was just as tender due to its upbringing... We shall see. I just hope it and the ground beef doesn’t taste “gamey” as I have been told that we are all programmed to like the “normal” so we don’t know what real meat is supposed to taste like. (I was told by a grocery meat man that the grass fed tastes gamey fwiw) I have had deer and buffalo and if that was gamey, I don’t like it. I felt guilty at first for spending so much, but when you think that eating in a restaurant would cost that much for some meals and I haven't had a meal in a restaurant since June while traveling, I think I’m worth it.
Oh and my bulletproof coffee with the local Lochmead Farms cream was delish! If I could just dump the Stevia, I would be in business. I may try that tomorrow and see if I can aquire a taste for it as I usually put one packet per cup and have 2 normally in my big mug. I am sure gonna miss Oregon, the GLORIOUS summer weather and all my new finds! It makes food=fuel easier on my delicate palate.

Last edited by Bewildered; 08-06-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #434  

Bewildered, wow, that is so kind of you to say! I'm the one who should be thanking all of you though! I'd still be here just talking to myself if it weren't for all you wonderful ladies! You are all so encouraging and supportive and helpful, and I learn so much from each of you. Y'all inspire me to do my best, and for that I am so grateful!

Well, I haven't made it to the Y yet today. The Smooth Move Tea from last night, my breakfast yogurt, and the new probiotic may be working a little too well together, enough so that my stomach is still bloated and gurgling and let's just say I've been glad to be close to my own bathroom today! (Sorry, TMI! ) Anyway, I've been doing some more lumbar lordosis yoga-type stretches and exercises at home in the meanwhile (youtube is great), but I really would like to get to the gym today. I am running out of time though, so it's not looking good.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #435  
`

Jacqui, I think you are very wise to stay near your bathroom. Stomach gurgling is no joke! I'm sure you'll be pushing yourself again once things get back to normal. Your body is probably saying, thank you constipation monster for giving me a yoga/stretch day.

Testing out my new tickerfish. Oh and the top sirloin (grass fed, baby) with sauteed mushrooms was delish! I have never bought a steak that big so I cut it into four 4-5oz mini steaks and managed to stop with just one. First time in my steak love'n eating history that I've stopped at 4oz. Due to no fault of my own, I had to eat lunch late so now I'm thinking about skipping dinner and eating just a light something. Maybe getting some scale love in the am.

Hope everyone had a lovely day!

Last edited by Bewildered; 08-06-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Closed Thread