Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Carol Sue, I just read your edit. You can certainly add some foods if they work for you. I add sauces that aren't normally allowed and shredded cheese and even the breading on convenient foods like chicken nuggets. Chickadeee allows for some dairy and so does Rennie, so if there are any foods that don't cause you problems and you want to keep them, by all means, keep them! This should be a diet that you can stick with. However, once you've decided what you're keeping, I would suggest you don't veer from that for more than one cheat day a week. That's when things start getting dicey, messing with your glucose levels and your weight. So if you designate pasta (whole grain?) as an allowed food, and that does not mess up your efforts, that's fine!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Jacqui, I am interested hearing about your RA. I have something but I've not been formally diagnosed. I've had osteoarthritis in my knee for several years but it's under control without meds. Lately I've been having a lot of pain, in my hands, my elbow and up my arm from the elbow. My PCP drained some fluid from the elbow and gave me a shot and it helped for a while but it's coming back. I've been taking 1 Motrin per day and it's helping, but I'm not supposed to take Motrin because of my heart disease. We have some Aleve here, so maybe I will try that. A couple years ago I was given the antibiotic Cipro. While taking it I developed some tendonitis in my shoulder and ankle. I read the insert from the prescription and it said that it could cause severe tendonitis that may take a long time to go away. I mentioned this to my doctor and pharmacist and they both blew me off, even thought the insert said this was possible! I think these medical people all stick together. The shoulder and ankle pain went away but now this. I'm going to google an read up on the effects of Aleve with regards to heart disease and see if this is something I can try. I just feel so much better when I'm not in pain.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #153  

Carol Sue, I am so sorry you have experienced all that! Cipro is very much under fire for the damage it has caused patients who used it, including tendon troubles, even years after having taken it. Doctors and pharmacists should be more knowledgeable about the real side effects of drugs they prescribe and dole out, but too many aren't. All you have to do is google "cipro toxicity, "cipro support groups," or "cipro poisoning," and you'll find lots of articles and websites about it. BUT if you do, BE PREPARED!!! You know how the internet is and there are horror stories of worst case scenarios out there! (People don't tend to post when a medication works well for them or they have no side effects.) As for RA, it is not a true arthritis, like osteoarthritis. It is an auto-immune disorder. It's systemic and symmetrical, so you can feel its effects in any joints in your body and if it's in your left hand, it's going to be in your right hand, etc., both sides. It does not sound as if your affected joints were on both sides. It definitely sounds like you have tendonitis, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if cipro is the culprit. I wish I had happier news to offer you! I do hope you are allowed to take Aleve and I hope it helps you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-06-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #154  

Thanks for the information, Jacqui. I will do some googling today. Most of my problems are on my right side. Since I am left-handed, I consider my right side to be the weaker of the two. I have some slight swelling and stiffness in my left hand, but the worst is in the right. I cannot form a fist with my right hand and I have trouble opening jars. I am not a young woman and have medical issues. I am close to 70 years old and realize I will not live forever no matter what I do. I would, however, like to be able to enjoy whatever is left of my life and pain meds can help with that. If they should happen to hasten my death by a few years, at least the years I do have will be more enjoyable. Unfortunately, my cardiologist doesn't have the same attitude and I do try to do as he says.

Today I was googling some information about The 4 Hour Diet. I checked out the book from the library last year but don't really remember all that it said. It is unbelievably thick and full of a lot of information not needed by the average person looking to lose weight. I realize that you do a modified version and it works, but there was some information online that made me go "huh?" One site said to limit vegetables to peas, mixed vegetables, asparagus and spinach. That's not going to happen here. LOL If it wasn't for chicken and fish I would probably be a vegetarian. I eat all vegetables and lots of them.

My biggest problem is going to be my bad habit of grazing. I can eat perfect meals, but what I eat in-between and in the evening is what gets me in trouble. I want so badly to stop that habit, and that's what it is. It's not because I am hungry, it's because I see something and I pop it into my mouth without thinking about it. I'm hoping that reading and posting here will help.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #155  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
Carol Sue, I have such a hard time getting on the treadmill, I have it all set up with music available and everything, but I just look at it.

If I didn't have my treadmill and elliptical set up in the game room in front of the TV I would probably never use them. I try to use them while I watch my soaps. Music wouldn't do it for me.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #156  

Carol Sue, you know if you have pain in your left hand as well as your right, only your right hand is worse, it's possible that could be RA. It does sometimes affect some joints worse than others. One time my left knee swelled up to the size of a softball but my right knee, although achy, never swelled up. And sometimes my left shoulder is so affected that I can't lift my arm. Eventually my right shoulder does the same thing if I don't take any anti-inflammatory meds to treat the left shoulder, but it happens more slowly, so it can seem like only one joint is being affected. Keep asking your doctor for meds though. It's a terribly painful disease when it's flaring, and whatever you have, RA or not, I'm sure is just as painful! As for the 4-Hour Body book, Tim Ferriss has a whole philosophy for living in that book from everything I've read about it. And he includes 3 diets in the book, not just the slow carb diet, which his followers can choose from. I believe the other two are an intermittent eating (partial fast) diet and a high protein diet. I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I've looked up the information. So yes, it's a very thick book and only a very little bit of it talks about the slow carb diet. As for grazing, that has always been a problem for me too, but I rarely even snack anymore, and that's changed since the last time I did this diet, and I can tell you exactly why. I'm too full! When eating any meal, I put my fork down after every bite and take a drink of water, usually 2-3 swallows at a time. By the time I'm finished, I am stuffed! Then I always keep a water bottle with me and I drink from it all day long. Actually, I don't like water, so I have to use a water flavoring in it and I use Mio Water Enhancer. Strawberry watermelon is my favorite, but I also like black cherry, grape, and orange. I always have orange for breakfast. I like to think I'm having orange juice, lol! But honestly, ever since I've started doing this, I haven't felt like snacking, I don't even drink Diet Dr. Pepper anymore (which is a complete surprise to me), and I drink a LOT more water each day!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-07-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #157  

I only gained a half lb more on cheat day! Yay! I really thought I'd weigh 207-208 because of the water I was already holding, having cheat day, and taking meds. I'm thrilled with that! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take Aleve again today, so I don't know if my weight will stay the same, go up, or go down by tomorrow morning! Oh well, it's water, so eventually it will come off and it's not like I am in a rush or anything, lol!

Week 5: High 206.5, Low 204.5
5/31--(202.5) 206 Cheat Day
6/1--(203) 206.5
6/2--(202.5) 206
6/3--(202) 205.5
6/4--(201) 204.5
6/5--204.5
6/6--205.5 Cheat Day
Week 6:
6/7--206
6/8--
6/9--
6/10--
6/11--
6/12--
6/13--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
2 fried eggs
3 slices of bacon
Mio water

Lunch:
Hamburger patty
A slice of polish sausage
Baked beans
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Spicy grilled chicken
Small salad with lots of veggies and ranch dressing
Asparagus
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
1.2-mile walk (a little faster walk than last night, lol!)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-07-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #158  

First real day of Slow Carb and I screwed up already! I had eggs and sausage from McDonald's for breakfast and some veggies for lunch, then DH cut up some watermelon and I ate some, forgetting that I'm not supposed to have fruit. I very rarely eat fruit, but today was one of the exceptions! I didn't get anything out for dinner so I guess we're eating out. I do very well eating out. If I order a meal I always order 2 veggies instead of a starch and hold the bread/rolls. It's harder when I cook at home because I always have to have some starch for DH and then it gets tempting.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #159  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Replying from 6/5

Thanks Jacqui I'm trying to eat a little healthier each day. I agree, the water does make a big difference. It plays a big role in weight loss. Sorry your RA is acting up. Hope you feel better each day with the Aleve. I don't go up and down stairs much at home. The kids are all upstairs and unless I do a random inspection I don't get that benefit. Sorry your downstairs powder room is inoperable but like you said it's a way to get some exercise in I get more support on 3FC but MFP keeps that log for you. That I like You (I) just have to find the time to do it I'm still reading but I hope you enjoyed your cheat day, yesterday. on your walk also I totally agree that this should be a WOE not a diet that we can stick with. And portion control Carol Sue is definitely my issue also. Gotta know when to slap my own hand When eating any meal, I put my fork down after every bite and take a drink of water, usually 2-3 swallows at a time. <--- what a great tip, thank you YAY YOU on the diet Dr Pepper Great job on your weigh in after cheat day

Hi Carol Sue On the cheat day ... I can't do one. I learned that early on. It's easier for me to have that snack bag of chips or that cone from McD's or that small bowl of cereal, then I'm done. It also seems to working really well this go around. Carol Sue I don't know much about other exercises because I flat out don't do them. But I loss a lot of weight and belly fat walking 3 miles a day. And I've done it twice in the 5 years on 3FC. I wish I could get back to it now. I walk a ton at work and it's showing about 4-6 miles a day but it's not the brisk walking that I was doing on the treadmill so it's not helping as far as I can see. I hated getting on the treadmill also but boy did I feel great afterwards also Carol Sue the dinner yesterday was the only cheat and that is what I mean by incorporating something in each day. I prefer to do it at lunch so that it hopefully doesn't stay with me. But it's easier for me that way. We shall see Hope you're feeling better today Carol Sue I do hope you find some relief for your pain. And I have to tell you your post made me a little sad. I don't like to hear my FRIENDS talk about death. You're gonna be here to see me reach goal and that's gonna take a mighty long time I did the 3 hour diet (by Jorge Cruise) and it definitely works (I did that one too ) but you have to have time to do it. I didn't follow that one to the letter either and still loss weight I am not hungry, (but I eat) it's because I see something and I pop it into my mouth without thinking about it. <--- this is me (especially with the kids) it's a Carol Sue, I did that melon diet also and loss quite a bit in 3 days so I wouldn't call the watermelon a cheat, it's water in my opinion at least that's what I count it as even though the sugar content isn't good for us

Chickadeee good for you on the 4lbs and great job on the 5.5 inches. Keep up the great work. I have only taken my measurements 2-3 times in five years. I allow my clothes to do the talking. I think I measure wrong and in a different spot each time because even when I know the inches are gone I get the same numbers I like what Jacqui said to you about getting on the treadmill starting out with 5 minutes and it you put an hour long tv show on in from of you, you may just forget and stay on. It's helped me when I start over again Just a thought.

RE: pizza my version when I want pizza = mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, turkey sausage crumbles, green pepper and onion on a plate (got this from my daughter when she was 9) it taste just like pizza no crust, unless you use the oopsie bread which is still a hit for me for any sandwich.

weighed in at 169.1 today

Last edited by love2b150; 06-07-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #160  

Happy Sunday everyone. It is not a good day for me, feeling stressed and I am sure it is work related, because back to work tomorrow. I am trying to just ride it out..it hits me at 2am and my mind just races about it. So, today I feel anxious and that is ruining the sunny day outside.

B: Mock pancakes and bacon, coffee
L: Salad with chicken Pattie, cottage cheese
S: rhubarb torte, coffee
D: Salmon Pattie with salad and veggie

I am thinking about the treadmill, so maybe this week will be the week to do it. You ladies are better at this than I am, so my hat goes off to you. The one thing that I hang onto is that I feel so much better than before when carbs were a large part of my eating choices. So, here's to a new week.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #161  
~Rennie

Chickadeee, sounds like how I feel around about 6:30-7pm because I have to get up at 1:15am for work. Hope the stress goes away so you can rest well. Have you tried the mock potato salad and mock macaroni and cheese made with cauliflower? The potato salad is really good, the mac n cheese taste like scalloped potatoes to me, but I think I used way too much cheese. I wish I had some place to set my treadmill up in here, but this place is too small. Have a blessed evening/night

Last edited by love2b150; 06-07-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #162  

Hm, would you ladies mind making a list of the things you are allowing on your modified version of the slow carb diet because I want to offer you support without stepping on your toes. I don't want to encourage you not to eat something that you are allowing, but if I don't know you're allowing it, I'll just think you're slipping off the diet. Would you mind letting me know what foods you're allowing on non-cheat days?

Rennie, you have thrown me for a loop, lol! You know the slow carb diet has one cheat day. There's a purpose to eating like that. It keeps your glucose from fluctuating high and low each day. Quick carbs cause your blood sugar to spike and then drop. Those spikes and drops each day cause cravings, making people who are sensitive to them want to eat more. Slow carbs are what the slow carb diet consists of, with the exception of cheat day. From what you just posted, are you saying you're cheating every day? Cones and fries and candy are allowed on your diet each day? If that's so, it sounds like you may be calorie-counting instead of doing the slow carb diet. I don't want to fuss at you for not following the diet if you are purposely not following it and wonder when you're going to start the diet if you are not planning to start it! Naturally if calorie-counting rather than slow-carbing is what you are doing, you should definitely do what works for you, but I don't want others to get confused about what the slow carb diet is. It is eating slow carbs for 6 days and then being allowed to eat quick carbs on one cheat day a week in order to shake up your metabolism and keep you from feeling deprived. It doesn't allow cheating everyday because then your blood sugar would be all over the place every day. I definitely believe in allowing modifications for certain foods, such as high fiber foods like whole grains, fibrous fruits like oranges, dairy (which some insulin studies support) without loads of sugar, condiments which add flavor and are used in small doses, but only if they don't cause highs and lows and quick-carb cravings, (and in many people they do. I know I can't eat whole grain bread or pasta). If I understand what you stated above correctly, you apparently are battling such cravings because you feel the need to eat quick carbs everyday. If you could break their hold on you and just go slow-carb, you wouldn't feel the intense need to cheat everyday! But if you are certain that the best way for you to diet is to calorie-count rather than slow-carb, then do that, and STAY HERE and post with us because we care about you and want you here! I just don't want others to get the two diets confused. I want them to be aware that cheating each day is not allowed on the slow carb diet. And a BIG congrats on the drop back into the 160's!

Carol Sue, the first few days I started the diet, I'd forget that I wasn't supposed to eat a certain type of food too, lol! You'll catch on! Just jump back on plan when that happens, lol!

Chickadeee, I'm so sorry you are experiencing anxiety. I suffer from that also. And night is the worse. It's a chemical reaction in the brain and night is the time it's most likely to happen. Just keep telling yourself, it will pass, because it does pass!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-07-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #163  
~Rennie

Jacqui, I'm not calorie counting or slow carbing. I'm just trying to first get my head back into the game. To not cause any confusion I won't post any meals on the thread and I've edited what I have posted.

Ok it's an hour past my bedtime so good night. Here's to another great weigh in tomorrow

Last edited by love2b150; 06-13-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #164  

Rennie, well, what you are doing is certainly working for you right now, so you keep doing it! If you do get back on the slow carb diet and want to post your meals, please do! It will help others and you! Meanwhile, please keep posting your progress! You are always such a great inspiration, so positive, so caring, and we need you!

EDITED TO ADD: What I just wrote was written in a hurry and doesn't even say what I mean. Let me be clear: You don't have to stop posting your meals, even now! As long as we know you're not on the diet but are just trying to get back to that point, it's all good! I was just confused by what you were saying about cheats each day since that's not the slow carb diet. Posting your meals may help you with accountability to eat healthier and healthier each day, and I won't mother-hen you...too much. You already know it's not just about weight. It's about health and fasting blood sugar levels and A1C's. I really do want what's best for you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-07-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #165  

Rennie, I will have to look up the mock mac and cheese and potato salad - these types of recipes really intrigue me. I make cauliflower and spaghetti squash pizza crust and that is so delicious. I also love mock oatmeal and pancakes. Mock brownies are good too.

Jac, I allow cheese - sharp cheddar, cottage cheese and rocotti and I will have some bacon. But I do not eat snack foods and I have done real good staying away from sweets (except for my rhubarb tote, which I know to limit)

I think you support and the support of the other girls is very helpful to me, I hope I can contribute as much to everyone in return. Making this lifestyle change is not easy, but it is so worth it, I find myself looking at what my DH eats for a meal and it really makes me aware of the carbs people eat and don't think about how they add up quick. But I also know each to their own and that is fine with me.

Heres to a good night sleep for me and stress free Monday.
Closed Thread