Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Height: 5'6"

Well 3 yrs ago I was at 152lbs and still wanted to lose 12 at that point so enter today at 169lbs
Now I would love to be 152lbs,so here I go again I am 43yrs old and would love to be 145lbs when I turn 45
Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #122  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Welcome, merowi2! We hope to support you in reaching your goal.

Silverbirch, whew! Glad to know the new scale is "doing the right thing." And so are you, evidently.

ICU, management always seems to chafe for those who know what to do and can get it done. I think a sense of nonattachment can help with that. It doesn't mean you don't care, it just means not being invested in outcomes that you can't control.

I purchased a new art/drafting table so that I can start in on art projects, now that I am retired. It's taken me months to get to this point. One of these first days I'll actually put paper on the table and make marks on it.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #123  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all,

Just catching up on the threads. I had one of my interviews this week, the one in a different state. Two full days of meetings, presentations, etc.; exhausting as usual. And no exercise of course. Plus the typical three meals a day that are ALSO interviews; for some reason the morning one always irks me. I just want to eat breakfast!

No idea what my weight is, on that recent topic. I'll weigh tomorrow am. We're on break for 2 weeks so I'll be able to work at home, where I can actually get things done.

The bad news is that the accident 2 years ago, when a car hit me during my bike commute, has come back to haunt me. The wrist that wasn't broken at the time has been slowly getting worse, but fluctuating - better one week, worse the next. I finally got an ortho appt and learned that the cartilage in my wrist was likely torn in the initial accident, then I've just been re-injuring it over and over. Surgeon said if that wrist had just been braced initially, it would have healed. Oh well. I must take the blame for not going in earlier; I didn't think it would be related to that long-ago accident but it clearly is.

So I'm back in an arm brace, this time on my dominant side, for 6 weeks. And we were going up to the mountains with my BF for skiing etc over the break. The surgeon told me if this doesn't heal in 6 weeks, it's likely surgery for me. So I'm motivated to let it heal (whereas normally I might go skiing anyway). Sigh.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The good news for me is that my weight went down 2 pounds and has stayed there for two days. Now to get more.

I was in a situation years ago at the hospital I worked at where our department was being looked at as expendable. It wasn't a good feeling knowing that the work you were doing wasn't being valued and that they could close us at any time (and basically move the work to another part of the country). We had people coming in and watching our every move and counseling us on how to look for other work. It was not fun, and I can understand what you're going through Becky. In my case, they ended up not closing us down at that time but we lost a lot of people who found other work during that stressful time and it was never the same. I finally ended up quitting and working with DH and then a few years later they ended up closing the office after all.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #125  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

merowi2! I'm in the same boat - wanting to get back to the place just shy of goal that I was at about six years ago, and my beginning/current stats look eerily similar to yours - I saw 166.0 this morning and somehow, I'm 11 pounds over what was originally my redline. Thought I was going to wait til New Year's to tighten the screws, but if there's only three big meals between now and then, why not use the 10 days left to make 27 good choices?

Corrected my earlier post - Andrea, I mixed you up with Shannon. Are you sorry you asked?

JayEll, I agree. On the other hand, it's not all that easy being a manager either because it takes a while, and deliberate effort, to determine which of the subordinates need attention and which ones need to be left alone. Enjoy the art table!

JZJ - sorry to hear about your wrist! I remember you telling us about the accident. Bad timing about the brace right before skiing, but I can imagine you are highly motivated to do what it takes to avoid surgery. Wishing you well on the interviews and I am right with you on the breakfast thing. Whomever thought the breakfast meeting was a good idea needs a swift kick ...

Allison - :highfive: on the 2 pounds! We are losing a lot of really good people at work - the more experienced (read, "old" and "change resistant") engineers are being forced out, and the young hotshots simply don't want any part of the management meddling - they stay long enough to get the corporate experience on their resume, and then they bolt.

Onward. The 166 elicited the strong response that I guess I needed - it's just way too close to all the way back to the start line in 2009. I meant it - NEVER AGAIN. And yet, here I am.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #126  
Workin' It

Hi Merowi2! Also working to get back down to where I would like to be. You and I look to be almost exactly the same age and height with similar goals. We'll make it.

JZJ - I am so sorry to hear about your wrist. You make sure to take care of yourself. How did the interview go? I hate those where you have to interview over meals, too.

Allison - you can keep those 2 going and add on to it.

Jay - love the art table, I hope you get to draw on it soon.

Becky - the 164 I saw 10 weeks ago shook me up pretty solidly, too.

I'm doing okay still. I haven't weighed this week, trying to not be so crazy. I forgot to tell you guys - I wore real pants to work. Pants with zippers and buttons, not starfish pants with elastic waist and stretch from Land's End. It felt good.

I have had a terrible last two weeks at work, and the next two are likely to be just as terrible. I'm avoiding the cookies in the kitchen. More have showed up since Friday night. I let myself have one of the fresh oatmeal cookies Friday and it was worth it, but the rest are just prepackaged stuff that isn't worth the calorie hit.

I've been starving lately. I'm trying to eat things that are healthy, filling and keep me from going over the snack edge.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #127  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

[Have gone a bit mad with the emoticons here. I don't know what's got into me. It could be that I've used up all my daily ration of words on that third draft - which has gone! Hallelujah! ]

I'm going to echo Shannon that some things are really just not worth the calorie hit. I am very keen to lose weight. I must also remember that if I'm not careful, it's very easy indeed for me to get a tummy ache with sugar over Christmas. (I'm so sensitive - sort of a cross between and . But then you all knew that, didn't you? )

Britain is starting to shut down for Christmas and the New Year. We shan't get back into gear until Monday 4th Jan. All quite bonkers. If it stays mild I'm going to clear some of the garden but then again, if it is mild it'll be pouring with rain.

merowi2 Nice to see you here. Your goal sounds doable!

Well done with the table, JayEll! Slow and steady?

JayZeeJay, bad luck with your wrist. That's just awful. When will you hear anything from that interview?

Allison, great news. 2lbs down is great. Yes, add a bit more to it and I'll try and join you.

Becky and Shannon, I know. We have to knuckle down and stop playing about.

Shannon, great going with the proper pants! I am still wearing those old Lands End starfish ones. I haven't bought any more as reviews say the new ones aren't so good and, of course, they never fit me round the waist. Which means I am a bit stuck with trousers - again. Story of my life.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #128  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Shannon - 164 was 10 weeks ago, and you are doing SO well! With everything you have going on in your life, you took this on too and you are well on your way back to where you want to be. Real pants - with buttons and zippers - sigh! The two pairs of pants I've been recycling for several years at work have zippers, but they are that stretchy, forgiving "modern" material that just does not provide the necessary feedback for pants-o-meters. I solemnly pledge, I WILL get rid of these the second my size 10s can get back up over my fanny and can be buttoned. Well said about the calorie hit - it's just not worth it.

Silverbirch, I have good determination from that awful reality check on the scale this morning, and with it the will to make 28 more good meal choices this year. I have 3 extremely challenging holiday meals ahead. So, you have inspired me to my final mini-goal of 2015 - 30 of 33 remaining meals in 2015 will be on-plan. 2 down, 28 to go!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #129  
in development

Meal by meal is a great way to approach it, Becky! 3/33 is a very small fraction. Any damage you do during those three meals will be well tempered by the others.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #130  
Workin' It

Thanks, Becky! I love the 30/33 goal.

Birchie - they are right on the newer ones not being the same. They are close, but the waist feels different. I ordered three new pairs last summer, and they are snugger than the old ones. I don't believe that is because my old ones I have stretched, either. The waist width is different.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-21-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Chuckling at myself right now. I kept imagining Shannon wearing sweat-like pants that were white or off-white with blue and red starfish all over them. I don't know why that image came to me, but it just did. Then I went to look at the Starfish Collection at Lands End. Those are some cute pants! My imagination was certainly wrong!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #132  
in development

Shannon, is the waist smaller now? If it is, then perhaps they'd fit me. What about the legs - are they a different shape? I like the way these old ones skim over my thighs which have always been a bit lumpy at the top.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #133  
Workin' It

Birchie - the waistband itself is a little narrower and the waist is a little smaller compared to the hips. They also now have different size leg options available. There is a standard fit, which is the old legs with their flow, and a slim leg that looks more like a boot cut and is slimmer from hip to ankle. They also now having one called a starfish jean, that fits completely different.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #134  
in development

Thanks v much, Shannon. Me and slim legs just don't get on at all, mainly because I prefer to look at least slightly nice, if not downright attractive. So I think I might go for the standard one. Let's face it, I have to have some kind of trousers in the winter!

About to get into my nightie now. The neighbours have just put a Christmas card through the door.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #135  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

OK I just looked online at the starfish pants, I too was picturing sea creature-adorned lounge pants in nautical colors.

I exercised today, ate very healthy... then got into the stollen that my German-derived DH has to have this time of year. Still within calorie limit but just barely. As Silver said, most things just aren't worth the calories, and that was one of them.
Closed Thread