Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Maintainers with a Lot to Lose and Getting There!

Hi! Here's our new edition of our thread for maintainers who have regained more than 5 pounds are are looking to get back to their desired weight.

We had been discussing dangerous foods containing french fries... Don't be afraid, we were only discussing them!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the new thread, JayEll! The timing is great, and I'm ready to give this thing another serious effort. It's been 6 years since I was at my low point - I'd really not like to get to 7.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, JayEll. (Brown sauce is a bit more glutinous than Worcester sauce.)

Becky, 6 years? Hmm. It's been quite a few for me.

I met a friend yesterday, someone I've known for years but who lives several hundred miles away so I don't see her much. She also has major demands on her at present and she tends to become very thin when things are hard. I told her that I find food a problem at the moment. I was talking about how there is so very much going on that I haven't got the space to / can't be bothered with planning and making meals. She became very thoughtful and interested but we didn't take it any further as we had so much else to talk about. I noted it as something to think about it the future - when there is more time!

Am sitting in a fairly cold house with the rain pouring down outside, waiting for a hospice charity to come and move some furniture. Moving forward.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It's probably been about six years for me, too, Becky. Sucks, doesn't it?

Since I've been doing the Blue Apron thing, I only have to plan a couple meals a week. I try to choose the BA meals that I can stretch so I bring leftovers for lunch. Some work well (like the lentil Bolognese that I made last night) but some don't, so when I can't stretch it, I bring salads for lunch.

You know how you shouldn't grocery shop when you're hungry? Well, I wasn't particularly hungry, but something caught my eye and I bought not one, but three of them. Torani now makes ice cream toppings. I bought dark chocolate, white chocolate, and caramel. Oops. My only saving grace is that I eat ice cream so infrequently that it probably will take years to use them all up (or until DS is home--he eats ice cream almost daily).
Old 11-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, I don't know if I'd say it sucks - it's puzzling for sure. At least I'm still more than 10 pounds away from my high weight. I'll count that as a good thing.

Meal planning was something I was much better at 6 years ago. I love food but I am not crazy about elaborate recipes and spending hours in the kitchen, unlike DH. Blue Apron or Seattle Sutton would be right up my alley. There is going to have to be a lot more high-quality but calorie-dense food in the house shortly - DS16 has started swim practices with the HS team. $$$!

Silverbirch, I cannot remember a time in my life, ever, where I lost my appetite from busyness or stress. In fact, it's usually quite the opposite!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #6  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

I'm back to this site after a long break, for the exact reason listed in the thread title - I have regained weight the weigh-in at the doctor's office this morning was the cold hard reality check I had been avoiding! It's funny to now experience from the other side the "weight creep" that I remember reading about on this site when I was successful in shedding ~35lbs with 3FC before. It's about a 10lb regain, but that is far more than enough to make me realize it's not just bloating or retaining water - it's the reflection of letting my good habits slip and not holding myself accountable. Just looking at my old ticker is kinda depressing.

So, back at it. My biggest vice has become nightly glasses of red wine while I respond to e-mails and get some writing in... so I suppose that will be one of the first things to go!

looking forward to chatting with you all and exchanging support!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

pavvie welcome!

Dagmar
Old 11-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Hi pavvie!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

pavvie! Glad you're joining us.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #10  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Many thanks for the warm welcome Mudpie and Shannon, it also looks like we are all at a similar place with our stats and goals.

I'm currently getting back into the swing of planning meals and stricter calorie counting, and I have had some pretty dramatic feelings of despair around this... I feel like my inner whining 8 year-old has come out full force. It's been an interesting reminder about the emotional aspects of weight-loss (and maintenance) that I am hoping to do a better job with this time around.

I'm also trying to get back into exercising regularly. I used to enjoy running but have been mostly off that for a year due to some recurrent plantar fasciitis. What type of exercise do you all like to do?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Welcome, Pavvie!

I'm a fairly serious weight lifter. Road bike, exercise bike, or elliptical for cardio on non-lifting (and non-rest) days. I also do a lot of walking, for transportation and for sanity maintenance. Never been a runner -- it just exacerbates a recurring, chronic hip pain -- but I wish I was because it's a more time-efficient way to burn calories than walking.

//kaw
Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Hi pavvie....
I've never been a runner, but I do exercise almost daily.
3-4 times a week I do bikram yoga-- great all over workout and I don't think it would aggregate your plantar fasciitis.
I lift weights 1-2 times a week, do the elliptical 2-3 times a week, spinning or zumba occasionally. I try to vary my workouts so that I don't get bored and I think it hits all the muscle groups better and keeps my body guessing.

I understand your inner whiny child all too well....
Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I posted a summary of my experience with the fasting and silent retreat over in the weekly thread for 11/16. If you're interested, take a look.

I am changing my approach to food as a result of my experience. I now realize that the only reason to eat is due to hunger, not due to the anxiety, boredom, etc. that tries to pass as hunger. It really helps to give up the usual pattern of eating to find out what real hunger feels like. (I didn't do this as a total fast--if anything it was a semi-fast. But I still discovered what hunger is.) Also, the amount of food that feels satisfying is much lower than what I had expected.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #14  
Workin' It

Pavvie - I've historically lifted, run and done some yoga. I'm trying to get back into an exercise groove, specifically the running piece of it. I tend to do three runs a week, 2-3 weight workouts per week, and yoga as many days as I can. And I also have a miserable, whiny inner child. LOL

I wandered and didn't update the last few days last week - I have a weekly summary through yesterday morning that I wrote earlier and am going to cut and paste here.

Last week's summary. Weight on Monday AM: 157.8. A full four pounds up from last Monday 153.9.
Per the Fitbit, my calories out were an average of 640 more per day than my calories in so I should have lost 1.3 pounds. Instead, 4 pounds up. My exercise was pretty consistent with the four weeks before. So lets look at food.
Macros: carb/protein/fat ratio was 41%carb/27%protein/32%fat week ending 11/15. 36%carb/31%protein/33%fat week ending 11/8. 39%carb/31%protein/30%fat week ending 11/1. 42%carb/28%protein/30% fat week ending 10/25.
There was loss the first three weeks, pop up the fourth week. The first week and the fourth week look similar, but the first week had the initial water loss. I'm figuring the pop up in week four is water retention from the higher carb. I was three pounds lower on Friday morning than on Monday morning, and in that three days I had pasta with red sauce, an english muffin, a wrap sandwich, and a sandwich with wheat bread. Methnks this reinforces my theory that I do better with less carb and more protein. I know I had more sodium over the week, commercial salad dressings, etc, but I think the breads were the bigger culprit.
Interestingly, my runs have been harder in the last several days even with the higher carb. I've felt sluggish, like I was trying to lift my legs through deep water.
So, not as good this week as the previous ones, but a learning moment. I am down a pound today over yesterday, so I hope that it will get better as the week goes on.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

All calorie estimators are inaccurate. Period. They are based on averages, and no one is average.
Closed Thread