Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Ha, well, it looks like I belong here. After maintaining a weight loss successfully for years, I had a baby. Pregnancy cravings (I wanted nothing but nachos and the very thought of vegetables made me nauseous), breastfeeding cravings (it made me so hungry all the time) and all around exhaustion where I had not one scrap of energy to think about anything but day-to-day survival got me up to 190 lbs (nearly regaining everything!).

I've been back on track since June and the weight is slowly coming off. I officially weighed in at 160 today. Halfway there!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #32  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Jay, I'm not going to say it's easy for me. However, I look at the almost 10 more years I would need to put in here and it makes me physically ill. The corporate culture simply does not fit me any more. I like the work ... it's the company I can't take. Sure, maybe the pension takes a hit, but all it really becomes is a numerical target for how much more I need to save. The pension wasn't that great to begin with - it's not like by itself it was going to keep me out of poverty. Besides, my industry has a poor track record for keeping promises to retirees; frankly, I will be shocked if they don't do lump-sum buyouts within the next few years. I would much rather govern that money myself.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #33  
Workin' It

Hey Glory! Not glad to see you back here in this specific chat, but good to hear from you. A lot of us are getting back on track.

I'm back today to where I was Monday the 9th. Near to ten days for all the sodium and carb jump to settle out. Right in time for Thanksgivng. Woo!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome back, Glory! I didn't realize you had gained so much during your pregnancy. Your little boy is certainly adorable (and so worth the gain, right?). You're stronger than me. I keep trying to get back on track yet remain in the same place. Good for you!

I had a small pension from when I worked at the hospital. The hospital was bought out so the pensions were in jeopardy so the district decided to allow those who were 100% vested to keep them where they were or to put them in an annuity. I (stupidly) put mine in an annuity where it sat doing basically nothing for 15 years. Finally, in 2013, I rolled it into my 401k along with the 401k I had at the (2nd) hospital. Then, earlier this summer, I got a letter from the IRS stating that I owed like $35,000 in taxes and penalties due to my not rolling over 100% of the 401k. Thankfully I found the paperwork and it clearly stated that $13,000 of the 401k was after tax and, therefore, didn't require rolling into my 401k--so I just put that amount in savings. So, yeah, I owed $35,000 for that $13,000! I sent it all to my CPA and they wrote a letter to the IRS and just yesterday I got the letter from the IRS stating I owe nothing. Whew!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #35  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Alinnell! Bravo! Isn't IRS hassle just the worst??

Becky, 10 years is a long time... You have plenty of time to find something else to do, if you want to.

Glory, feel free to join in! You're certainly not the only one with a need to lose again.

Shannon, great job in getting back to your earlier point!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #36  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm starting in earnest now. Things have calmed down a bit and I'm able to move myself to the top of the list. There's some space available to devote to ensuring that I lose a fair chunk of weight. Has to be done. Am planning on at least one handful* gone by Christmas.

* I think 'handful' is quite a good unit for me to use. You know what I mean.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #37  

Up early to go to cars and coffee this morning. My "fat" shorts feel tight. That's not a good sign, however, it is a motivator.

I have my Thanksgiving shopping list and plan on getting that shopping done tomorrow. I'd go today but we have a huge list of to-do items to check off including watching our alma mater football game and getting delivery of our new mattress. I also am on cat duty for our in-laws who are out of town for a funeral.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #38  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for the exercise input - I am trying to ease into several sessions of lifting a week (I have adjustable dumbells that go up to 50lbs each, which is more than enough for me at this point) and am checking out some local cardio classes since I probably won't pick up running again for the time being.

Was out of town for work for the weekend - nothing like being in Chicago for the first winter storm of the season

I'm also traveling two more times in the next few weeks. I've put off weighing myself as it tends to get obsessive and instead focusing on making healthy choices, tracking calories, forgoing red wine, etc.

have a great Monday all!
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Welcome back, Glory! I didn't realize you had gained so much during your pregnancy. Your little boy is certainly adorable (and so worth the gain, right?).
It was pregnancy and breastfeeding and being completely off track for 2+ years. I actually weighed more in June than I did when 40 weeks pregnant!
Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #40  
Workin' It

End of my fifth week of healthier eating and exercise. I weighed 153.9 this morning, which is back to exactly where I was on 11/9 after my upward blip.

I've exercised every day but one since 10/19. I ran two 5k races in that time - came in at 39:59 on 10/31 and 34:57 this past Saturday. I feel like I'm making progress, however slowly. Started fast, but slowed the last two weeks. I'm trying to not be stressed and take it as progress.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 211/149.2/130

Height: 5'0

Hi Shannon, you have made real progress. It is nothing to sneer at to get back to your weight before the upward blip. I have managed to get down to 148.4 but that is mainly because the antibiotics that I am on have made me a little queasy. Whatever, I will take it because at least I am 6 pounds down and getting used to eating a bit less. Some of my tops are starting to fit better so this is a definite improvement. I would love to have another 4 pounds gone by the end of the year, too many of my pants feel too snug. I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe in a larger size. I will have to take the weight off.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #42  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Glory, it was a get-real moment for me when I found myself two pounds higher than I was 2 weeks before my son was born. Very glad to see you again - your posts are some of the ones I re-read when I need a kick in the fanny (like now).

Shannon, I am so impressed with your exercise dedication! I agree with valid - be proud of the past blip. It's evidence that you're DOING this!

Allison, I doubt I have any shorts at all that wouldn't be tight at this point. I have until the end of March to get back into them. Funny, it's a little horrifying to realize that that's only about four months. Still ... it's four months, not next week. So I'm going to work my plan around that.

pavvie, I'm sorry you had to be in Chicago for that blow! Snowstorms are sort of cool as long as you don't have to be anywhere - if you can disconnect from the damage and the disruption, it's one of the most beautiful sights nature can provide (when it's over!).

It hasn't been a good week for the plan, but that says more about the weaknesses in the plan than anything else. I need to face the fact that my life is chaotic, it's not going to change anytime immediately, and I am going to spend Friday writing down what I need to do to get where I want by the end of March - regardless of what sort of transitory baloney gets in the way. Maybe this might be my first year without eggnog. I've found a Bolthouse Farms version that is only 80 calories a cup and has an ingredient list I can pronounce.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #43  

I have more than four months to get to where I need to be, and I definitely need it. I've been watching my diet and drinking less and basically doing well in that regard, but my weight is going up rather than down.

Since going off birth control pills, I've been experiencing some hot flashes that aren't horrible, just uncomfortable. I decided to try some herbal remedies and have been taking them for two weeks and I'm so happy! Although I still have hot flashes, they're are fewer and less intense. I hope they continue to work--some of the reviews say that they stop being effective after a few months.

And my blood pressure medication is working well. This morning I was 118/85. Probably my best reading so far.

I think I can go this year without eggnog.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I'll have to look for that Bolthouse eggnog, Becky. Usually we don't have eggnog but it would make a nice treat.

Being just as heavy in 2005 as I was the day before I had my baby in 1993 was what started my final long weight loss journey. Sure wish I hadn't spent my entire life trying to lose weight with all the methods that don't work long term. But it's all good now.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #45  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I happen to be an eggnog fanatic, and have even made my own from scratch. It's part of the family tradition to have some spiked eggnog while decorating the Christmas tree, and I don't want to mess with that too much. I don't touch it til at least December, and I will not drink it after Christmas. The Bolthouse is not the same, but I am experimenting to see if it's acceptably different. With savings of close to 150 calories a glass ... I can be open to change.
Closed Thread