Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #106  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Afternoon, all.

Much better today, Shannon. Thanks for asking. I think that all the tummy problems this week can be traced back to the few mince pies I had last week + a few other things with much too much sugar in them. I hope I've learnt my lesson.

I've had a concentrated morning at the office. In the scramble to get out this morning I forgot to weigh myself. I must remember tomorrow as it's easy to get out of the habit, especially if things aren't going right. Allison, I certainly do understand.

Sympathy to all of you who are under siege from "well-wishers" and their gifts. Does it help to know that 'Gift' is German for poison?

Salmon for tea with greens and potato wedges. Also perhaps the squash wedges cooked by the SO last night.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #107  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, as is often the case, I'm right with you. I have decided to keep the rest of December to a "move more" position - as in a simple pledge to just do something motion-deliberate for a mere 10 minutes a day. I did successfully beat the sugar cravings, and tapered the weekday adult beverages. Like you, I also have an intimidating number of parties and meals ahead in the next couple of weeks. While our mantra is typically "just start now!" and I've done that a dozen times already this month - logistically my chances will be better if I try to get a good plan together for the new year. The spouse will be ready to support by then, which certainly never hurts. I want to see the low 150's before I go on my cruise in April.

Silver, I'm glad you're past the tummy issues. Your tea plans sound delightful!

Shannon, same here - my participation here directly correlates to the amount of attention I'm putting into weight loss. You need to see more of me so I can see less of me.

Dagmar, have you also been enjoying unseasonably decent December weather? Weird, but aside from not quite getting there in terms of Christmas mood, I can't say that I mind not shoveling or wearing my ankle-length down coat. There's still a lot of winter left, so I can't complain about a late start!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #108  
in development

Becky! Moving more sounds good. Do anything, just anything. I was at the office today and suddenly realised I could /will use the loo downstairs rather than the one just along the corridor. I've only had that office for about 8 years ... (Side effect: I also realised that I was walking up and down the stairs without gently resting a hand on the banister. Haven't done that for months so this new physio's obviously been good for me.)

I'm keeping on posting here as much as I can to try to keep my eye on the ball. It doesn't always work but I find it's a bit better than just reading.

The lesson I need to learn again and again is that when I'm tired at the end of the afternoon I should rest for a bit and not try to do anything else. That includes reading, tidying up and especially making a meal. TMI alert! I should also go to the loo when I get home as, strangely, I ignore it and that plays into my tiredness and leads to nibbling. Odd, I know.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #109  
Workin' It

I am having a TERRIBLE week at work. I have to cap it to keep from screaming it out loud as I type it. Sigh. DH is having a bad one as well. It has made for a lot of snacking on my side the last three days. I've controlled the calories with the snacks, but still making me crazy.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Becky NO GLOVES! It's December and I'm working outside all day without wearing gloves. I can never remember a December this warm here in Toronto. I am so grateful every day. I'm finding it harder and harder to do my job, mostly due to lack of sleep, so this wonderful co-operation by the weather is an amazing bonus.

Dagmar
Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 AM   #111  
in development

Default Nightmare on the Scales

Good morning, all.

I've wondered about my scales for a while as they give a few odd readings before settling down. I thought it might be the uneven floor.

This morning, though, I weighed three pounds more than before going to bed. (I don't normally weigh myself at night but decided to do so, as a check.) The time has come, I thought, to change the battery. Did that.

Now I'm fully a stone (14lbs) more than I was a few days ago. And that's really quite a high figure. I don't believe it to be true.

I think the scales have had it. They're Weight Watchers, a few years old and metal (now a bit rusty as I keep them in the bathroom). The search is on for a new set as I'm kind of on a roll and I want to keep going. Please wish me luck as it's all a bit busy here and this is something extra I don't really need. Any suggestions? I just want something reliable and whose display I can see easily; nothing fancy needed.

Shannon, special for you. Do you have a Meditation Room at work???

Dagmar and Becky, no gloves, no down coat? That sounds very good. I'm wearing gloves when driving and occasionally if the wind is very strong. Also a hat - but that's to do with wind and rain rather than cold. The warm weather has brought a lot of rain. I gather daffodils are out in some parts of the UK.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #112  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

OMG Birchie! That can't be right!

I like our Tanita scale--it's the $50 model, includes an electrical impedance measurement for body fat % and total body water, gives weight in 0.2 lb. increments (digital). But I hardly use the body fat and water features, so you might want to look for "plain" models.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #113  
in development

OMG exactly. Or 'Exactly So' as some academics say.

I've bought a mechanical Salter model. If I can't quite see the exact amount I can either:

(a) get the general idea - I don't really need data in small increments

or

(b) squat down to look more closely - weight + exercise, so two for the price of one there.

Am pushing out of my mind that new scales so often mean new amounts. Perhaps all those losses will turn out to be completely illusory; perhaps all those losses will turn out to be under-estimates. Who knows? I'll have to weight until Sunday morning. (Did you see what I did there?? Time spent with a 15 year-old does have an effect, you know.)
Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #114  
in development

Have just body-swerved a custard tart and am having a pear and a cup of tea instead.

Preparing to meet my new scales ...
Old 12-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #115  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Silver, good luck with the new devil device! I think you would be very aware of a large number reading long before stepping on the scale. I do agree that being able to scamper up and down stairs without the handrail is a positive sign that you are strong and balanced. I see many, many people who are not confident in what their bodies can do, and it seems a sad space.

Shannon, my empathies on the work situation. Capitalize as much as you need. I've spoken with no less than 7 "headhunters" (technical recruiters) this week and although I've given them some tough requirements, I am confident there's something else out there that I would enjoy doing far more than what I do now. Doors have a way of opening in the weirdest ways.

Well, I spoke too soon and jinxed it. The flurries are flying in Michigan. However, we're still expecting to see mid 50's on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #116  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Becky, I know you've mentioned it before, but what is your occupation?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I've bought a mechanical Salter model. If I can't quite see the exact amount I can either:

(a) get the general idea - I don't really need data in small increments

or

(b) squat down to look more closely - weight + exercise, so two for the price of one there.

Am pushing out of my mind that new scales so often mean new amounts. Perhaps all those losses will turn out to be completely illusory; perhaps all those losses will turn out to be under-estimates. Who knows? I'll have to weight until Sunday morning. (Did you see what I did there?? Time spent with a 15 year-old does have an effect, you know.)
I have had a Salter digital scale for about 10 years now. It does show weights in .1 increments and will weigh in imperial or metric. It has sat in the bathroom all this time and there is no rust as it's mostly plastic. I change the battery whenever it tells me to and reset by stepping on and off gently with one foot. I heartily recommend Salter due to the performance of this most excellent device (even though sometimes it doesn't show me what I want to see )

Dagmar :
Old 12-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #118  
in development

Thanks, Dagmar; that's good to know. I'm going to collect my new scales today - if I can get a report a bit nearer to the exit.

I've just deleted a section of rant about my current client so you've all got off lightly.

I brought cold salmon, nuts and raisins, celery, pear, apple and orange to work. I don't know how long I'm going to be here. I'm really not happy about this at all.

Hope you're all doing OK, out there in Festive Land.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #119  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Andrea, I am (have been) handcuffed to the auto industry. it's been a very good ride. The work for the most part has been interesting and I've very much enjoyed the people I work with. I love manufacturing - processes are my soul and my love: show me a drawing, and I will make a million of them as close to exactly alike as they can be. But there is a culture now of micromanagement - of distrust, and of a lack of focus on what our customer desires from us, and it chills me to the core with its wrongness. (yes, wine is involved tonight.) I'm sad that I feel like I'm being forced out - silly me needs to feel value in my work. On the other hand, this is an opportunity to take on a steep learning curve and go somewhere new.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 12-21-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:46 AM   #120  
in development

The Salter mechanical scales are brilliant. They are huge so it will be difficult to ignore them.

This morning's result is in the correct range, and shows I've been on the right track. It's down. The weekly average is down too. I'm pleased about that. I'd very much like to be back to last spring's weight by this spring, and then continue on the downward path through the summer.

Another day at work today to try and get this white paper into a good third draft by tomorrow.

More heavy rain here.
Closed Thread