critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

JayEll: thanks for the advice. Here's the stepper link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Andrea, I'll PM you.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #167  
Workin' It

I also have to answer email on vacation. Annoying, but I'm single threaded in my position so there isn't anyone to back me up.

Birchie - sorry about the pants. I noticed the same size was snugger, but thought it was that the old ones had stretched. Should have trusted my instinct.

Yes, LE declined with Sears. Second on Duluth Trading for Dagmar.

DH is on vacation all week this week and at home with DSS who we have through NYE lunch and then back on 1/2. I have no vacation left so I'm working. There is much video game playing happening at my house now.

Glad to be getting back into a routine, if even a little bit.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #168  
Workin' It

JZJ - forgot to comment on the job situation. Congrats first, and second, I might agree to wait on the second job if it is the one you really want if you are pretty sure you will get it. Though I'd be torn at turning down the one I know I have already.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #169  
critter lover

Thanks Shannon - and no, not at all sure I would get job #2. So it's likely job #1 for me/us, a big move and a big change.

Saef commented on the other thread about sadness re being on break and not enjoying it enough. I am feeling the same. Today I will not go in to work; I will go for a long run no matter how cold out.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #170  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Difficult situation with jobs, JazZeeJay. Can your husband move easily and work anywhere?

Trying hard here still. Just in from another half hour in the garden, forking up couch grass before Storm Frank arrives. We had a power cut all yesterday evening so we're planning for the same tonight. Some in the household are less pleased than others about that.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We drove home from seeing "The Big Short" last night in a snowstorm. Today it's been pouring rain all morning and there's icy melting slush everywhere.

Poor Trixie is going for a bath this afternoon. Not the best weather to be doing this in but this is the only day I can have it done. I will assist the groomer's assistant so I don't mind that I'll be wet when I get there and stay wet until we come back home.

Dagmar
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #172  
critter lover

Silver, I hope you guys are doing ok, and didn't lose power too long. Do you have backup heating methods if your power is out? Yes, my husband is a software engineer and can keep his current job if we move, because he can work remotely.

I went for a 12-mile run yesterday and it was really nice - very cold but sunny. I ate a bit more than my limit afterward but not too bad. I think eating back exercise calories is one thing that gets me in trouble over the long haul.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #173  
in development

Thanks, JayZeeJay. The power was only off that evening and part of the night. We have a wood burning stove in the sitting room so we can keep warm, and candles. Looking back, my childhood seemed to be punctuated by power cuts in the wintertime. I should take up my mother's offer of our family Tilley lamp, and also get a new camping stove (but use with ventilation inside to avoid carbon monoxide death).

Great that your husband's so flexible with his work! That's one headache avoided.

Shannon, sympathy about work. I'd like the being alone bit, though.

Not a terrific day here for food. Too many carbs for comfort as I didn't have tight grip on food planning for me (SO in charge and the DB requiring rather a lot of that kind of food today).

Storm Frank has passed over (it was gearing up here to get to hurricane force 12 between Scotland and Iceland) but the weather is still atrocious. The rain has started again. My neighbour says we're into our ninth week of rain. There's a lot of talk about ark building.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #174  
in development

Must check in. I know that I'm cooking salmon for tea. That much is clear. But it's coming up to lunchtime now and I'm not so clear about what I'm going to eat and what will go on the table.

The rain is unrelenting but I gather that this pulse is going to move through. We're not flooded out and our roof is sound so I'm grateful for small mercies. I've planned to go for a walk today. Have already done a good amount of flexibility exercises and battered some financial stuff into submission.

I'll probably be back here later.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thursday morning, New Year's Eve. I'm down to my pre-Christmas weight, so that much is good. I like weights that don't start with 17...I prefer not to have those that start with 16 and hope to see 15 by February.

Next week we're expecting a week's worth of rain. We need it. I won't be upset if it rains continually.

We're going to a NYE party tonight. Usually we don't go out as I 1) don't like to stay up until midnight and 2) am afraid of other drivers on this night. But we have a party and we're going and that is that. The good thing is that we're celebrating a New York NYE, so we'll celebrate at 9 PM and can go home any time after that! The party only goes until 11 PM anyway. And it's an excuse to wear my long gown and wear my new bracelet that DH got me for Christmas. We'll have fun.

Yesterday I made the seafood lasagna for NYD when we celebrate birthdays. My SIL and her husband are coming for a week's visit. We should have a fun weekend.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #176  
in development

Allison, you can have as much of this rain of ours as you can take! No charge at all.

Bands of heavy rain kept moving fast across the front field. The SO and I saw a gap and went for it. It was OK for a bit, then it turned heavy again, then there was hail. We sheltered under a hedge and then decided to go back home. Into the wind, naturally, and with the hail stinging our faces. Only 3,000-odd steps but they were quality, off-balance, rapid steps so I'm pleased with that.

Came in, soaked to the skin. Lit fire. Had a cup of tea. Got under a blanket. Still frozen. Had two slices of toast etc (the devil is in the etc). Now I feel a bit better. NB Must buy some waterproof trousers for next time.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Must buy some waterproof trousers for next time.
Having lived in the rainy Pacific NW the majority of my life, I have waterproof everything from top to toe. I like the rain pants that you put over regular pants, kind of like a shell. If you're outfitted well, the rain really isn't an issue IMHO, unless it's windy. I will walk in all manner of rain showers, but add that wind, and you'll find me on a treadmill inside.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #178  
in development

I like that sort too, Sheila, because you can just roll them up and put them in your bag and still be decent. My last ones weren't breathable but I'm think I may invest in these this time round. What do you go for? Are you fully Gore-texed?

I agree about rain itself not being too bad but we live right in the path of the prevailing sou'westerlies and it's been coming in horizontally or in very heavy pulses for weeks now. (Apart from those two afternoons I was in the garden - in December!) Large parts of northern Britain are underwater and many people have been flooded out.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

The breathable waterproof technology keeps getting better. GoreTex is no longer popular for hiking clothes. I have the Mountain Hardwear Epic rain pant, which might be their older model. The new one is the Plasmic. Marmot makes the Precip pant which is supposed to be good. And of course Patagonia puts out a decent rain pant, the Torrentshell, with a lifetime warranty. You can often get last year's models on clearance. The pants I mentioned have ankle or side zips and elastic waists, meant to be worn over other pants or tights.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 AM   #180  
in development

Happy New Year to one and all!

Thanks, Alice. I'll go to our tourist honeypot village a few miles away which has several very good mountain gear shops (in a national park) and see what they've got. They may have sold out!

310mm (12.2 inches) our usual local December precipitation in the hills
1012mm (39.8 inches) this December
211mm (8.3 inches) between 25th and 27th

Onward. I'm feeling quite good after yesterday's flexibility exercises and walk. The SO and I will be getting out for another walk this morning before the next bout of rain comes in. I'll see if I can fit in a warm up and some weights as well, some time today.

Breakfast consumed.
Lunch will be leftover salmon and salad.
Tea - being made by the SO and will be haggis, neeps, tatties.
If any snacks are required, I'll have a piece of fruit.

Weight - seems a bit down but not fully sure. Despite a bigger dial on the scales than usual, it's still a bit difficult to make out the *exact* reading, and the pointer jiggles. That's OK with me at present. I was niggled by all the jiggling about with the digital scales too.

2016? I aim to be On Trend in 2016 and that trend is Downwards!
Closed Thread