Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #196  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Thank you for the informational post Aphil, I would like to disagree to a point.

Part of my problem at least was eating things that weren't good for me and eating too much of it. With IE I have been able to make choices thats are better for me. For instance this morning I didn't pack my breakfast so I bought two oranges. I didn't have to have the omlet with potatoes and bacon which is what I was thinking about. IE has helped me be able to make better choices.

Yes, I think with IE you're supposed to listen to your body and eat what it tells you. I think that is an over simplified version of what actually happens. At least for me. I think IE helped me be ok with not eating "bad foods", It helped me eat moderately.

Everyone woman in my family gets diabetes when their pregnant. I think if you use IE and factor in educated choices about your lifestyle (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, blood diseases etc...) it is ok. You can't say I am doing IE and then eat till your stuffed.

I think with any "diet plan" you need to be aware of extenuating circumstances. If I was a calorie counter in theory I could eat anything as long as it was within my limit for the day. I would still need to make choices that factored in any other health issues.

On an unrelated note. I was hanging out with my girlfriend this weekend and she was fussing with her date and said Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Anyone heard that quote before.

-Obie, chillin' on the soapbox.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #197  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Besides...she mentioned people with food allergies, and people who have had their gallbladder removed. What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING. My mom had her gallbladder removed when I was young, and it does not affect what you can or cannot eat.
Aphil,

If that is the case, your mother was very, very lucky. Many people who have their gallbladder removed develop what is called "dumping syndrome." I'll let you google it yourself because it's one of those potentially TMI topics.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I don't understand exactly what you are disagreeing with me on...

My point, however, with diabetics, is that every diabetic is different. One person may have it very mildly, and actually be able to control their weight and blood sugar levels with a 20 minute walk each day, and by following their version of the diabetic exchange diet alone. The next person may have to have a much different physical activity regime, and their diabetes may be so severe, that they need to be on the diet PLUS be on the highest level available of insulin shots twice a day.

This is what I mean, when I say that intuitive eating-rather than a strict regimen overseen by your doctor-could potentially be dangerous. One persons particular diabetes management plan can differ a lot from another someone elses. One person may need to be on a 1200 calorie exchange program for their blood sugar to be stable, and another person may need to be put on the 1500, or 1800 calorie exchange plan. A simple 300 calories a day could mean blood sugar levels that are normal...or levels that are way too high, causing a myriad of problems over the course of time, including amputation of an extremity to heart failure.

All I am saying, is that diabetic living cannot just be "intuitive". It has to be regimented-plain and simple.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #199  

Talking I met the Mouse!

Jo (Spinymouse) and I discovered several weeks ago that we only live about 15 miles apart. In addition, we both play bluegrass-type instruments. So we decided to get together and listen to live music somewhere.

Last night we went and to an open-mic night. We had a great time. Jo is really cool. And she looks about 15 years younger than she is. I'm envious

She's trying to get me to perform during one of the open-mic nights, but she hasn't heard how badly I play

Anyway, we were having such a great time we wished all our other IE friends could be there with us. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #200  

Fiddler, I wonder if you are better than you think. I hope you perform just for fun! I know I used to get so nervous when I'd have to sing alone I would really blow it. But if you're singing for fun and not worring about what people think you can do really well. My dh and I have sung for some of our kids weddings just for fun without telling anyone we were going to do it. They really apperciate it and it's fun. I don't see American Idol only once in a blue moon (we don't have tv) but I feel really sorry for those guys!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #201  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default I met the Fiddler!

Wow, this was so fun! I can't believe Fiddler and I have so much in common and we live in neighboring towns! We will get together again soon and have pictures taken and we will post them! Fid definitely needs her progress picture updated since she is thinner than the one she has posted! She is looking so good! I am already thinking of fun pics, with props, of course - I need props. Maybe something involving chickens and musical instruments. We also dined and the restaurant did not offer the kinds of foods I usually like, but, I had lots of fun making mush out of my baked potato with the butter and sour cream and au ju stuff. I ate a few bites but I swear that thing was the size of a football - Where do they find potatoes that big? But we each took most of our dinners home in boxes, and I know my potato will not be nearly so much fun to play with the second day. But I'll find something to do with it. Where's that dog when you need one? Maybe I'll make shepherd's pie. Or something. But I am so excited because I have a new friend!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #202  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Smile

In a perfect world people would eat the way they are supposed to. A doctor would say follow this plane because it is what is best for you and if you don't that way your health could suffer. Plain and simple don't always factor into a persons eating.

Obviously everyone is an individual. Here is how IE would work.
My doctor tell me venus you should not now eat x,y,z. You can have abc in limited quantities, and you can e,f,g as much as you want.

I go out on my normal day and I AM NOT hungry, but I see x,y,z in a store window. With IE and taking into consideration the doctors advice. I'm not hungry..and ask themselves why do I want x,y,z. If I'm am hungry maybe instead of x,y,z I pick a,b,c,e.f.g. Really it is an analysis of the moment when your hungry, a conversation that you have with yourself over what is going on.

Also some of us don't work well with regimented eating plans . I personally pretty much rebel when you tell me I can't have something (i just don't see a world with out ben and jerry's)

So you know something is bad for you, but you eat it in moderation because that is your way of trying to keep on your plan and still be ok with your life.

No, everyone isn't wired this way, but it works for some. I think you can't tell some people you can only have this, you have to follow a strict plan.

Is it the best thing all the time, nope, but if they can work with moderation then maybe they can work themselves into a better eating plan.

I have plenty of diabetic friends who just eats whatever, one is going blind. I think alot of his eating is in direct rebellion to being told what he has to eat. It hurts no one but himself and that doesn't stop him.

Also I am disagreeing with you because I am doing IE and see it from another perspective.

-Obie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
I don't understand exactly what you are disagreeing with me on...

My point, however, with diabetics, is that every diabetic is different. One person may have it very mildly, and actually be able to control their weight and blood sugar levels with a 20 minute walk each day, and by following their version of the diabetic exchange diet alone. The next person may have to have a much different physical activity regime, and their diabetes may be so severe, that they need to be on the diet PLUS be on the highest level available of insulin shots twice a day.

This is what I mean, when I say that intuitive eating-rather than a strict regimen overseen by your doctor-could potentially be dangerous. One persons particular diabetes management plan can differ a lot from another someone elses. One person may need to be on a 1200 calorie exchange program for their blood sugar to be stable, and another person may need to be put on the 1500, or 1800 calorie exchange plan. A simple 300 calories a day could mean blood sugar levels that are normal...or levels that are way too high, causing a myriad of problems over the course of time, including amputation of an extremity to heart failure.

All I am saying, is that diabetic living cannot just be "intuitive". It has to be regimented-plain and simple.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #203  

Here's another good message from Gillian.

"I have a lot of experience working with women of all weights, some who wanted to lose 5 lbs., some who were 100 or more lbs. overweight, and even those that didn't want to lose weight but wanted to get a handle on their emotional eating.

I can tell you that is does work for anyone who is in the right place mentally and emotionally to learn the principles, deal with the inevitable emotions and stop dieting. The problem is, you won't know how much or when you will lose weight. It depends on your history of dieting for one thing. If you have dieted for many, many years, it will probably take a while. Your body has to understand that you are done dieting, there will be no more starvation or deprivation and this can take a while. I generally do not see much weight loss in the first 2-3 months, although there are exceptions. Here's a very general statement - if you don't start to lose weight (if you really need to) by 6 months to a year, and you have been consistent with following IE, you may need to evaluate if what you consider "satisfied" or full is really overfull.

Please hang in there. Following IE has so many more benefits in addition to losing weight. I have been there and I understand how much you want to lose it. But time passes anyway, you could follow it and not lose weight for a while but be much healthier physically and emotionally, or you could go on another diet and you know what that results in.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. The members here are awesome and are very willing to help, myself included!"
Thanks!
Gillian

Gillian Hood-Gabrielson, MS, ACSM
Healthier Outcomes
Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #204  
breakfast rebel

This doesn't have anything to do with IE but - I think I am going to be going out to eat and drink a lot less. I have reached my threshold of tolerance for "the y - word." When I go one place I like for lunch the server brings me my plate and says it. A place I like to stop after work for some wine is also a restaurant, and I hear it coming from various tables. I have had it! *stamps mousey feet.*
Delicious, delectable, tantalizing, really good, savory, tasteful, nourishing, satisfying, pleasant tasting, ambrosial..... oh please, oh please, anything but the y-word again.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #205  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
...Delicious, delectable, tantalizing, really good, savory, tasteful, nourishing, satisfying, pleasant tasting, ambrosial..... oh please, oh please, anything but the y-word again....
? The "y-word"?

Yams
Yogurt
Yo-yo
Yentel

sorry I'm a dork here but what is the Y-word?

Beth
Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #206  
breakfast rebel

(yummy.)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #207  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Oh, yummy! Now I get it.

Beth
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #208  

Someone posted a link to this article in another part of the forum. I'm going to post it here too because it sums up my eating philosphy to a "T": http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/ma...nt&oref=slogin
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #209  
breakfast rebel

Hear, Hear! That's a very interesting article, Fiddler. I especially agree with the 9 points at the end. Especially the "eat less" one! People are so afraid of the starvation mode thing and I am very skeptical of how blown out of proportion that might be. The idea that someone is "not eating enough to lose weight" would probably meet with some angry disagreement from anyone who has really been starving (and has had no problem at all achieving an emaciated state.) There are a couple of points earlier in the article that I would debate with the author - yes it is possible to be 170 pounds eating 1800 calories or less a day, and, as for getting nutrients in the form of supplements rather than foods - it is necessary if one cannot absorb certain nutrients gastrointestinally to find another way - I'd be dead if it were not for B12 injections.
But great article. Silence of the Yams. That's good.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #210  

Fiddler, I printed the article. It is 16 pages so it might take a little time to read but I'll get to it. Have a good day!
Closed Thread