Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #181  
small steps equal success

S/C/G: 186/152/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey, congrats Obie glad the scale is moving down for you, and sorry about the guy trouble. You sounds like your OK with everything. I'm sure I would have gone of on an emotional eating spree.

Jo one good thing about carrying most of your weight in your pear zone is your alot more healthy than someone like me. I've been slowly putting on belly fat for the last five years and it causes alot of problems with blood preasure, blood sugar etc. Probably no consolation but at least there is some ups to it.

I've had a bit of a rough week due to huge increase in appetite because of PMS. 10 years ago I used to think PMS was no big deal now it seems to take over 10 days of my life every month. I've managed to keep the eating pretty healthy but have been eating a fair amount.

Nina
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #182  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
Down another 5 lbs. I kind of paniced that I was losing too quickly, but after some reassurances (see post in 100lbs forum) I seem to be doing ok. Have to thank you guys and IE.
Obi, I wouldn't worry about losing too fast. I lost 21 pounds in 3 weeks not too long ago. But I haven't lost much since then. It all averages out. As long as you are making sure your body gets the nutrients it needs and you feel good, take the loss and be glad for it

Sorry to hear about the boyfriend problems. If you need to talk sometime, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #183  

Back home and thankful. I love seeing the kids and grandkids but wish they lived closer. One of the places we went to was a resort called Ka Nee Tah. Not sure I'm spelling that right. There was a beautiful pool and hot springs but it was 9 degrees the night we got there and didn't warm up too much the next day. I declined. My son-in-law, daugter and hubby had massages while I watched the kids. That's ok with me. They had pretty good food there but I can never get my hubby to share and just too much for me. Another place we ate was Macaroni Grill downtown. I know that doesn't sound like much but it was a really nice place. My SIL works there. I had soup and salad and it was just right for me. I got an IE book that I'm enjoying called If I"m So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo. The title entrigued me. ha!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #184  

Obi, CONGRATULATIONS on the loss!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #185  

Carol, glad you're back.

I bought a book this week that is really interesting. It's called "The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods." It lists just about every kind of whole food you can think of and tells the history, preparation methods, what nutrients it contains, and why you would want to include it in your diet.

There are a lot of foods listed that it says help to keep your metabolism up or help your body burn fat faster. Interestingly, I happen to eat a lot of almost all those foods. Maybe they're right; I certainly can't complain about how fast I've lost weight
Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #186  

I was kind of concerned about our trip.......that I gained a lot but I didn't so now I've calmed down a bit concerning food. I'll have to check that book out, Fiddler. I almost bought the Superfoods book once. Sometimes I'm disappointed even in the books that claim to be IE because they are combining IE with dieting if that is possible. There is one author, Gillian Hood-Gabrielson (I hope I spelled that right) that has a website and email and she is REALLY good about answering any question you might send to her.......really quickly, too.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #187  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I just got my latest issue of Newsweek and there is an article in it about the latest advice on feeding kids - it didn't give it the IE label but that is exactly what it is. The "clean your plate" directive is definitely not recommended, no foods are forced or banned, and it is not advised to make your kids sit at the table longer than they want to. There is a cute illustration of two children sitting at the table and the little boy is on his fourth ear of corn on the cob and the little girl is just looking at her one ear and hasn't eaten any. The message is: it's all ok. Don't you just love it?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #188  

Fiddler, I ordered that book you recommended. Anymore that you would recommend? A lot of my kids are home today so it's basically cooking, cleaning and washing dishes. Sure good to see them again. My youngest graduates next year but before she passed away my mom said we'd never be without company. ha!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #189  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Thanks everyone for all the support about the scale moving. You guys rock

Carol glad to see you survived your trip ok. One of the things I love about my grandmothers house it there is always someone over there and love to hang out there.

Eating has fallen into a kind of pattern. Sun-Thur tends to be eat at home or pack something and bring it to work. By Friday I need a break and eat out a little. Saturday I might out depending my mood. Nothing really to report otherwise. My car didn't start, I think I need a new starter, with the new condo is gonna put a squeeze on the wallet, but will all work out.

My new favorite thing is a super egg white omelet with every vegetable I can find in my fridge. Sautee them in olive oil and then add to the egg whites. I don't like yolks so not missing anything there.

On an unrelated note happy our corner of 3fc is drama free.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #190  

Quote:
On an unrelated note happy our corner of 3fc is drama free.
LOL, Obi, I think I know which post you are referring to

Sometimes I feel like I come here to hide. Like I have to keep my way of eating a dirty little secret. Like when someone posts in a thread in the non-IE part of the forum how they're struggling so hard with their diet and coming to the realization that they'll never be able to eat in a restaurant again or have another Twinkie if they want to be thin. It just doesn't go over well to tell them you eat out a couple times a week and eat whatever you want, and losing weight just doesn't have to be that hard. So I commiserate with them as best I can and hope I don't inadvertently let something slip that will offend someone. Here with you guys I feel like I can speak freely.

On another topic, I have been weighing myself for about a month now and have concluded that I need to go back to not weighing. As hard as I try not to, I am taking cues from the scale instead of just from my body. So the scale is going back into the closet, and hopefully I'll start losing weight again.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #191  
Intuituve Eater

Talking

yeah, I stopped looking at the thread after I said my peace. I love you guys, LOL. I kinda feel like the IE thread is my home and I venture out and look at other things, but I love where there is a new post here.

I try to not look at the posts by people upset because they ate something or trying understand why their bodies felt better after they ate something "bad". I think IE is one of those things you have to be really ready for.

Fiddler even with the happiness over the lose. The scale now has a home under my bed in the middle (so I need a broom to push it out). I use it as a guide since I'm not losing enough to see a difference in closth size right away, but don't wanna get obsessed with it. I also posted because I think at least with me at first I wasn't sure I would actually lose weight doing IE. It felt more like I was just learning to be ok with food, but not losing. So was also for the people who peek in.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

-Obie.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #192  

Wow! You girls make me feel special with your praises of this forum. I think that way, too, and always glad when someone joins here. Rob Stevens of Thintuition fame is having a Dump the Diet Day where all who wanted to could send an old diet book and get 2mo free on his website plus other stuff. Hope my book makes it in time but if it doesn't that's ok. I really like his book but there are others just as interesting. I've been really craving soy milk lately, maybe because I used to be such a milk drinker before the blood calcium problem.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #193  

Here is a note I received from Gillian. I had asked her if people with diabetes could use IE. She has her own website concerning IE.

Hi,

Thanks for your question, it's a good one. I believe it is absolutely possible to eat intuitively and manage diabetes. I am not a registered dietician or doctor, so it would beyond the scope of my practice to counsel anyone on what to eat, diabetes or not. But part of eating intuitively is eating what honors your body, and respecting your body. So if you need to watch your carb intake, that would be part of taking care of yourself. I know the first thing you see when you hear about IE is that you can eat anything you want. But I think it's a balance between what you want and what your body needs. And I don't mean what you or some so-called expert says your body needs, but what your body is telling you it needs (by listening to it, part of IE). Of course, keep in mind the guidelines set by your dietician and/or doctor, but I have worked with diabetics, people with food allergies, people who have had their gallbladder removed, among others and they can all eat intuitively. They just know that those foods that make them sick or their condition worse don't honor them, even if they like that particular food.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions if I can be of help!

Thanks!
Gillian

Gillian Hood-Gabrielson, MS, ACSM
Healthier Outcomes
Old 01-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #194  
Intuituve Eater

I am going to call this an IE victory, and nice indicator my body is getting back to working the way it is supposed to.
Well I went out with a girlfriend and her date tonight. I swapped out the second starch for a vegetable, and stuck to seltzer and lemon because soda just seems way to sweet. I think the vegetables were dunked in butter, way to salty. Pre-IE I would never have noticed.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Carol,

I am the mod here in General Diet Plans, and your posts about the diabetes prompted me to respond.

I am a gestational diabetic (diabetic when pregnant) and diabetes runs in my family. I am very familiar with blood sugar issues, levels, testing, glucose tolerance tests, complications from too high/too low blood sugar-and all the rest of that. My mother is also a nurse, so I am very knowledgable about this issue.

Intuitive eating is NOT good for a diabetic.

Diabetes requires for optimum health:

~Regular exercise. This not only will help to maintain a healthy weight, but it will also benefit your circulation and other things that diabetics tend to have issues with.

~Regular eating at structured intervals. This is to properly maintain a normal blood sugar level. Sometimes you have to eat your snack or meal before you are actually hungry, and sometimes you have to stop eating before you are actually full. Your blood sugar level is the MOST important thing to keep under control. When your blood sugar levels get too high, or too low-many complications can arise. It puts stress on every system in your body. This is why there are a lot of heart problems, circulatory problems, and many other things in diabetics. You have to keep the body in balance at all times.

~Carbs are not all created equal. The carbohydrates in vegetables are not the same as the carbohydrates in a Pop Tart-even if you eat the same amount of carbs. This is why the diabetic diet plan works on "exchanges". It isn't like other low carb plans, where the carbs can come from veggies...or from some concocted Atkins fake-chocolate bar. Where the carbs come from matters as well.

~Every diabetic is different. One person may need a certain calorie requirement and carbohydrate requirement each day to stay balanced in their blood sugar levels, and to maintain a healthy weight. Another person's diet (calories, carbs, and food exchanges) may be different. There are various degrees of severity in diabetics...as well as differences in age, sex, metabolism, and other things. This is why you test your blood sugar numerous times during the day, and play "trial and error" for a while with your doctor. They have to find out which diet level, which level of medication (if needed) and other variables work for YOU personally.

I personally think that the response that you recieved from your question to this person was very "generic". Your question really didn't get answered....it was just a bunch of words that sounded like an answer, that didn't really give you one. This is because diabetes is NOT her area of expertise, and she was very careful NOT to give you a real answer because of that.

My aunt (a diabetic) who was younger than my mother, "ate intuitively" instead of following her diabetic meal plan and medication to the letter, and she passed away 7 years ago, in her forties.

I think Eating Intuitively can work for some-but not someone with a medical issue like diabetes, that MUST be controlled-and part of that control is a strict diet that watches your calories, food exchanges, and carbohydrate intake.

Besides...she mentioned people with food allergies, and people who have had their gallbladder removed. What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING. My mom had her gallbladder removed when I was young, and it does not affect what you can or cannot eat. Food allergies are a completely different issue as well-my daughter is allergic to lemons. She doesn't eat them, period.
Those issues have NOTHING in common with a diabetic, and their dietary restrictions at all. I simply don't understand why she even used these examples as part of the response to your question. They have nothing to do with your question.

Last edited by aphil; 01-29-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Closed Thread