Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #211  

Hi Beth, I'm from WI about an hour south of La Crosse. I notice you are from MN. Welcome. Obi, Where are you?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #212  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I work in NY, Live in NJ, and spend alot of time in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Hi Beth, I'm from WI about an hour south of La Crosse. I notice you are from MN. Welcome. Obi, Where are you?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 PM   #213  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Hi back at you, Carol. I'm in Minneapolis
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #214  

Beth, Did you lose most of your weight using IE? I have a daugher who is a potter and does shows near you though she lives in Little Falls, WI.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #215  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Hey everyone, been kinda out of it this week with excercise, but thinking my body just wanted a break. Got back to it this morning.

I did the big food shopping yesterday. You know when you wonder did you actually put all thst stuff in the cart. Took me 2 hours since I read EVERY LABEL

I think I did pretty good in terms of buying things that aren't processed.

Funny story on my scale...I wanted to do a weigh in twice a month so the last night of Jan. I got on and had gained 3 lbs. I was ok because overall I am still losing. I shrugged my shoulders and headed to bed. Just for kicks I pulled the scale out from under the bed once again first thing in the morning and I was down 4 lbs.

Eating has been ok.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #216  

I finished the article Fiddler posted and thought it was informative. It reinforced our practice of putting in a garden every year even though it is a lot of work. Good exercise, however. It does make you stick pretty close to home in the summer because it seems there is something always ready to be picked. We still have a lot of butternut squash in our fruit room. It keeps well for about 9mo. Other things have to be frozen or canned but there is nothing like a home grown tomato.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #217  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

The author of that article, Michael Pollan, has a book out called The Omnivore's Dilemma, and you can download the introduction and first chapter at:

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

It is very very interesting; I will be buying the book. It certainly has me thinking very deeply about agribusiness and its effects. But whoa, the contrast - It's shocking my brain! Reading this first chapter, which raises questions about ethics and behavior choices - and then BOOM! - contrast that with reading a post on 3fc about someone's concern about the number of calories in a pretzel or somthing - wow, it is trippy! It reminds me of the day after my dad died and I was all mental mush and thinking about the meaning of life and death and I had to get something from the grocery store and I walked by a magazine that had on the cover "Drop Dead Holiday Hair." That was trippy too. Anyway, it's an interesting download by Pollan.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #218  
-

Oh, no, Carol, I am NOT am Intuitive Eater. I'm mostly just a lurker here trying to learn as much as I can to make a good maintenance plan for when I finally hit my goal.

I lost the first chunk of weight just through rabid over exersizing. It took a good number of years and was very hard to continue as a life long solution. I had maintained that loss but couldn't fathom going back to that plan to lose more weight.

Then my mom went on MediFast and lost 90 pounds. (Now please no one flame me for posting about this diet plan!) She had high blood pressure and diabetes. Her doctor wanted to put her on a 4th BP med and add more meds for the diabetese. She decided to get a second opinion. That doc is very wholistic and wantd her to try diet and exersize to see if that would help. He recommended MF. She's done great and is now off all her BP and diabetese meds. I decided to try MF after seeing her great results. I too lost a lot on MF and am very happy with it but I did get to the burn out stage and knew I needed something I could do for the rest of my life.

I got down to the last 20# (I think) and really wanted to transition back to regular food. I found this site and bought the SuperFoods Rx book (thanks Whole Foodies). I read that book front to back two times and felt immediately that's it's the way I want to eat forever. I started looking into other parts of this sight and discovered IE, Calorie Counters, and LWL. I'm trying counting calories but honestly have always had an aversion to journaling or anything remotely like that so calorie counting is feeling very foreign to me. Not at all comfortable with it.

I'm eating really good healthy food and trying hard to learn about IE and listen to my body. I do recognise now when I'm procrastinating NOT really hungry. But honestly I'm deathly afraid to gain any of this weight back. I desperately want to lose this last weight and have a healthy amount of body fat but this is a rocky road. I never thought it would be easy though so I just have to keep muddling along until I find what's best for me. I've started a weightlifting program (thank you LWL!) and am eating healthy foods, now I just have to figure out the portion control aspect of eating. I've gotten used to eating 5-6 small meals/snacks a day and I do like that. Whether I'll ever end up being able to practice IE I'm not sure. Only the scale will tell. All I really know right now is that this is a daily struggle (that word is too strong) that I have to keep aware of and keep working toward taking care of myself.

Oh, that was long.
Beth

PS That's cool that your daughter is a potter. I've maybe seen her at shows around here. Also thanks for posting the link to that article. You right it was long but very interesting. Thanks.

Last edited by CinnamonGirl; 02-02-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #219  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

<insert primal scream here>

I think I need less drama in my life. It seems like my life just moves from one crisis to the next lately with very little recovery time in between.

Today's crisis was finding out I need a new car. It had problems this morning when I was trying to get to work (and of course today was a day I promised my new boss I would be at work to cover for everyone else who is out of the office today). I had it towed to the repair shop where I was informed the car is in its death throes and the best course of action at this point is to make sure I have a case of oil with me wherever I go while I shop for a new car.

I really didn't need this right now. Some boredom would be nice for a change.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #220  
breakfast rebel

Fiddler - do not despair, just get a
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...aturn-sky.html

It's YOU, I tell you.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #221  

We like long posts! Going away for the weekend. Always hard when it comes to eating. Have a great day
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #222  
breakfast rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
I too lost a lot on MF and am very happy with it but I did get to the burn out stage and knew I needed something I could do for the rest of my life.
I think the hardest part about intuitive eating is getting your intuitiveness back!! We are pretty much hypnotized into certain eating habits and some of them are conflicting and it's been going on for years. But our intuitiveness is buried in there underneath it all, underneath all the do's and don't's we've been fed (hmm, I said "fed") it's there.

Beth, I admire you for your weight loss, especially on MediFast. I had to look it up; there is no way I could put up with that plan for more than 2 days.
But i don't like to eat shakes and bars and american style dinners with a blob of broiled meat or something like that. So to you for that!

I like to eat things that are all mixed together, like casseroles, lasagne, enchildas, stuff with sauces on it. Otherwise I'd rather just skip it altogether!

One example of why I like IE: I know some people who make homemade Guatamalan tamales. They are wrapped in banana leaves rather than corn husks and are wonderful. I have no idea how many calories or points are in them. The only thing I asked was if there was lard in them (the answer is no) and I like to be able to get them and eat them. I will never find such a funky food listen in any diet plan and I think "so what." I only eat one for a meal, it satisfies me without filling me up and then I don't think about it or count anything. I guess I'm lazy.

Speaking of lazy (really rambling here) tomorrow is the day for me to turn that around. I have a semi-tradition (ok, maybe it's only worked twice) of starting a new fitness plan on Super Bowl Sunday because all the macho guys are out of the gym and in front of their TV's, freeing up all the cool equipment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

jo
Old 02-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #223  
-

Hi Spinymouse,

I've tried all the other programs (Jenny Craig, WW, Nutrisystem, etc...) just like everyone else has and none of those worked for me for more than a few days or weeks. I decided to try Medifast only because my mom had done so well on it. I wanted something that was like cat food. Our cats get the food they get, they get no more than we give them and they just eat it. I liked it because of what you ate (their soups, chili, oatmeal, bars, shakes, cocoa, etc). I was at the point where I was so sick of food. I was sick of thinking about it all the time, worrying about it and frankly eating it. I just wanted a "cat food" diet. So MF fit the bill for me. I learned to eat every 2-3 hours so I was never crazy hungry. I just grabbed my "cat food" and ate it. Once a day I had to think about a real meal - some lean protein like chicken or fish and vegetables. It was exactly what I needed. But at a point near the 50 lbs mark I new I was ready to go back to regular food. I did their transition program slowly adding in fruits and grains.

I've maintained my weight loss since November. Now I'm hoping to get off these last few pounds, how I don't know but I'm hoping I can learn IE for at least maintenance. I know MF isn't for everyone but it worked for me.

Beth
Old 02-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #224  
breakfast rebel

Beth-great analogy with cat food!!

I think I would need the Italian or Spanish or Greek version of cat food however -- american style interests me as much as a blown up tin shed with fungus on it.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #225  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
...american style interests me as much as a blown up tin shed with fungus on it.

LOL!
Closed Thread