Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #106  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

WI: -1 NEW LOW
Pain: 0/1/5
Activity: 2

Credits: calorie counting , vitamins

I forgot to mention yesterday, a minor miracle, so much more exciting than the grade I got on those tests - the fact that after an hour of sitting in an office chair, my pain level hadn't gone above 3 and quickly subsided to a 1 once I was walking again!

Going to be a quiet day. I'm not going to put my nose to any grindstones today. A little housework, some research online, and lots of goofing off (that's how I'm celebrating.)

...On Plan!

Anne: hope you get some of that rest! I'm amazed that you went out and RAN after such a sleepless night!

ChinaMaine: for GF pasta! Do they make it with rice or what?

Thanks for the kind words. And gosh I want to see Star Trek! The moment I saw the trailer, I knew at least the casting was on target! I'm afraid I'll have to wait til it's released on DVD or VOD. (I hope you don't mind me geeking out with you.)

Bill: for beck-described reduction in the struggle against unplanned eating! for exercise!

I find that most days in Texas are beautiful, in one sense or another. We have truly ripping storms which are a sensual and sometimes frightening experience. We have bright days perfect for unheated swimming pools. We have pale blue days with little puffy clouds racing across the sky. I distract myself from the lack of 300 ft. pines, snow tipped mountains and cascading waterfalls by looking up.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Post Two interesting articles I saw online

This AM I got a link to a Huffington Post article in my Inbox that talks about Leptin Resistance and possible treatments for it. Since leptin has been mentioned a few times in the last couple of days, so I thought some folks might be interested.

A couple caveats before I go describe what I’ve found.
  • I did some research this AM and it appears that although there's been some rat and phase II trials with these treatments, there's been no phase III trials published yet.
  • And although the drugs mentioned have all been approved by the FDA, research is still being done to determine their effectiveness and dosage recommendations for new ways to use these drugs for treatment.
  • For example, while there are known recommended dosages for Symlin with the treatment of Diabetes, the research has not been published that indicates whether it’s effective to treat Leptin Resistance in humans, and if it is, what the appropriate dosage.
  • And while there is some very interesting research being done, it’s my opinion that such treatments will work best in conjunction with the kinds of things we’re all doing via Beck: eating better, exercising more, and using CBT.
The Huffington Post article I got in my email this AM set me off on a internet search to find other information on treatments for Leptin Resistance, so I’ve got links to the HP article as well as 1 other.

Huffington Post article -- It’s a very interesting article; it describes
Leptin, the Hypothalamus and their role in obesity.
  • Leptin Resistance, how to test for it, and some treatments using FDA approved drugs for Diabetes. As I mentioned above -- as far as I can tell these treatments haven’t been fully tested on humans. While rat research is indicative of what might happen in humans, there can be significant differences once the same kind of research is done on humans.
  • The role of high fructose corn syrup in the development of Leptin Resistance.
  • A quick one sentence blurb about the beneficial role diet and exercise plays in reducing Leptin Resistance.

Reverse T3, Hypoythyroidism and their role in low metabolism. I don’t think anyone else in the group is diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, but I found this section very interesting and plan to talk to my endocrinologist about it at my next appointment.
  • The thyroid and the various hormones associated with the thyroid.
  • The thyroid can sometimes convert T4 to Reverse T3 rather than T3.
  • Since Reverse T3 has an opposite, undesirable effect, from T3 *and* most Hypothyroid patients are treated with T4 only drugs, treatment can non-productive.
  • Stress and yo-yo dieting can cause the thyroid to create Reverse T3 rather than T3.
  • Suggests testing and treatment for high levels of Reverse T3.

And here's an article on the Children's Hospital of Boston website - This appears to be different from the research mentioned in the HP article.
  • Leptin and the failures over the last couple of decades to find a treatment for obesity that addresses Leptin’s role.
  • New published data on rat research on treatment for Leptin Resistance trial that is currently underway by the company that owns the rights to leptin.
  • It also refers to a second rat study on leptin resistance.

So my reading of all this is that there are potential treatments for leptin resistance that appear to produce weight loss in rats, and perhaps even in humans. But the research isn't far enough along to allow one to say it definitively will work in humans. Or even if it's safe... So while I think the info above is interesting, I think it warrants some caution. I think the path I’m on now is the right one, but I will discuss this info with my endocrinologist the next time I see him.

Gotta get on the road to Maine. Later!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #108  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

couldnt get in here this morning, nothing would load from this site for some reason.

I have numb fingers, but I finished the last t-shirt 5 min ago!!

Food is good, exercise has been lacking (my fault) I'll get to the gym tomorrow.

Im off....more stuff to get done so I can take tomorrow off.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #109  

Coaches/Buddies Another on plan day here. Still having sleeping issues. I'm starting to feel really off. I'm feeling physically hungry today, but am just not that interested in eating. This almost never happens. If the insomnia doesn't break soon, I'm going to have to go see a doctor about it.

I had a really nice hike through the desert this morning. Wasn't my planned exercise, but it was good exercise, and beautiful. I'm just not doing well working up to any intensity without sleep. Tomorrow is a planned pre-ride of the race course for my race on Memorial day with some of my club mates. We'll see how that goes.

ChinaMaine I think it is important to budget in a splurge once in a while. Glad you enjoyed your GF pasta.

Thanks for the links to the articles. I'll peruse them some time when I'm more functional. I'm guessing leptin isn't my issue though. I'm a head case. Hunger doesn't really play in. I was really struck with the Kessler book, and how it described my issues. Someday I do plan to do a review. When I'm more functional.

Bill Wow! Peanuts are such a weakness for me. I've come to be able to eat other nuts in moderation, and even peanut butter, but I keep peanuts far away. Good job on "walking" with Gerbilina.

Thanks for the virtual chicken soup.

Tera on the new low. I'm hitting a few of those myself these days and it feels great, doesn't it!

Robin Congrats on getting the Tshirts done. Now off to the gym with you. I'll be expecting your report tomorrow.

Anne
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #110  
Purpose + Bucket

S/C/G: 206/153/130

Height: 65.5 inches.

Hello~! Do you mind if I jump in from this point onward? I'm new to 3FC forum and suchness, so I hope you don't mind my awkwardness until I get used to posting here. n_n;;

I'm on Day 11, but I'm working my way through the book... 3 days at a time. (Though, I'm thinking of slowing it down a bit) I'm using the Beck Diet Solution in coordination with calorie counting & P90x. Hopefully this will be a permenant thing. -fingers crossed- I've never felt so relaxed and positive about my dieting experience before. Cognitive therapy really is somethin'.

I've never been so aware of my habits before, so it feels like I'm doing somethings wrong (like eating standing up, or fitting in junk into my calories sponentanously "because I can") but I'm just doing things I've always been doing! o_O Wowa. Now that I'm aware of these things, I think I can finally make changes to my habits! Hurray. I'm so glad I got this book!!

Right-o. I hope to get to know you all!
Old 05-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome bucketwithapurpose

bucketwithapurpose

And, in honor of your very first post on 3FC today,

How did you find out about the Beck Diet Solution?

And how did you find out about the Beck thread on 3FC?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym including squats and lunges; CREDIT moi.

Went out to dinner and left some of the rice on my plate - still a big deal for me to leave food; CREDIT moi.

Talked to a guy who walks 50 miles a week which reminded me that I used to do that (and more) regularly, but have slacked off. Gotta get back in gear. Busy isn't a valid excuse, it's just a choice.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for numb fingers from hard work; now to get some numb muscles from an early morning trip to the gym. Perhaps your PT needs to Twit you as well as your DH, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for this sleeping deprivation. You're way too active to tolerate that. Hope you find a solution. Maybe even a short vacation with your DH sans kiddos to shock your system.

I can still visualize your desert from the pictures you posted earlier; sounds like a neat walk.

Tera (twilit tera) - Just WOW on your "minor miracle" sitting in an office chair for an hour. Gotta believe that your chiropractor is the miracle worker. Keeping fingers crossed for more of those for you.

Congrats on the continued, ho-hum, new low scale reading.

Thanks for the neat description of Texas weather. Does the arrival of warm weather mean that you can swim in your mom's pool now? Or has that been completely replaced by your gym?

ChinaMaine - That's interesting info on Leptin, Leptin Resistance, and Reverse T3. I remember that it blew my mind when I first found out that our fat is an organ that produces a hormone that's part of the hunger regulation system. Now this new stuff that formerly obese tend to Leptin Resistance is another mind boggler. Never get over admiring the complexity of our bodies.

I have mixed feelings about "discovering" that overweight/obesity is hormonally caused. Even though that would fit the anecdotal evidence of the whole of 3FC, I'm leery of a diagnosis for which a daily-pill-for-life is the magic solution. Perhaps I'm over enamored with Beck Cognitive Therapy solution, which works for me and for many of us hanging around this thread. When a whole society has a problem it seems that a whole-society solution should be possible.

Hope your long drive from NJ back to Maine went well.

bucketwithapurpose - Yep, jump right in. Kudos for barreling along in the Program days in Beck.

Kinda shocking isn't it to discover eating standing up. I never knew I did this until I went through the Beck exercise of specifically looking for that and found that I nibbled from my plate as I walked to the table. Beck says that those first couple of weeks are the most important part of her book.

Are you doing the P90x exercises from the DVD's? They sound super from a quick read.

Readers -
Quote:
resistance technique 6
Drink water or a low-calorie beverage if you're thirsty.

Water doesn't have any magical weight loss power, but it you are thirsty and not hungry, it can ward off an urge to eat unplanned food.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 100

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-17-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: dessert => desert, Duh.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #113  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

No weigh in (at Mom's house)
Pain: 0/2/6
Activity: 2

Credits: calorie counting , vitamins , wearing my veryspecialshoes (it was a slow day!)

I'm afraid I went about 300 calories over budget, but lately I've been coming in under budget repeatedly, and it was definitely a controled excess.

B and I have come to Mom's so he can work in her garden, assuming the rain lets up and lets him to it. Tonight we're going to have a special dinner together and tomorrow either go creek walking or mall walking, depending on weather and hip.

Anne: Congrats on your new lows! It's a very good feeling indeed. In fact, whenever a temptation is put in front of me lately, my response is usually, "I just don't want to break my momentum."

Why wait to see the doctor about the sleep? What I mean is that I can't think of any reason, considering the amount of exercise you get and schedule you keep, for you to not be falling asleep at night. What happens when you lay down? What home remedies have you tried? (This is getting to be a bit worrisome.)

bucketwithapurpose: to 3FC and the Beck thread. I'm glad you found us (and Beck, of course). I'm very glad you just jumped in with both feet! Just what you should have done.

Yes, CBT is a very powerful tool. I first started using it to build self-esteem, but when I saw The Beck Diet Solution, that was when I realized that it could be applied to other things.

Good luck with P90x. It looks intense, or maybe that's just the art on the box. (?)

Bill: for leaving food on your plate and exercise. Big for busy is a choice.

The warm season means that now I get to swim at mom's and at the athletic club! (The athletic club is a lot closer and easier to fit into our schedule, but I go to mom's just to spend time with her, so there's an opportunity there as well.)

I follow you on being hesitant about the "medical" solution. It seems that as a societal issue, obesity is merely a symptom (hormonally induced or not). What if, instead of selling us yet another pill, they reverse the trends that got our hormones so out of whack in the first place? I'm talking, of course, about all the factors that contribute to a high sugar, low activity lifestyle. But of course, that would make the food and medical communities less money, I'm sure.

Last edited by twilit tera; 05-16-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Sodium rant and an ephiphany

And a burning question...

Greetings, Beckies. I have been trying to keep up with y'all. I am following your progress and challenges, and you are really an amazing bunch. Just am not coherent enough to post. Stuff in my life is nuts right now, on all fronts. Am trying to reflect on how much of this is of my own doing. Some, to be sure, and that is more frustrating than the stuff that happens and it out of my own control. Credit, moi, for that realization. Also credit for prioritizing and saying no to the less important stuff in my work.

Here is the burning question: After a great big welcome, Bucketwithapurpose, I have to say that is the greatest id EVER. First question: will you elaborate a little bit on your choice? Second question, what can we call you for short?

Can't help but speculate. As the great philosopher Gallager says, "Everywhere you leak, the world hangs a bucket."

As promised, the sodium rant. Chinese food. Always read on the maintainers thread about how much water wt. one Chinese dinner puts on. This was half a Chinese dinner at most, at 2:00 p.m. and then no dinner, just some trail mix, granted some more sodium, no alcohol. Awakened to the bloated eyes, puffy, bleh. Ugly. I think if we wimmen can't bring ourselves to consider sodium the silent killer it is, then we can just call it the Ugly Additive.

Now for the epiphany:

You all probably know this already. Certainly Beck addresses it, though she does it from the forward thinking perspective. I had to realize it in afterthought. OK, so for me, sometimes when I stay up all night, it dawns on me.

Long story short...traveling, in hotel room, great restaurant planned. Plans derailed and my two companions went without me. The next day reported the food was a good as the hype, and it was even cheap! A Juicy Lucy with a mountain of fries, jumbo Margarita, and two Cornonas for $20.00. Sans the fries, that is exactly what I would have had. The next day, after I found out all about their being pleased with their whole experience, I found myself so pleased that I had not gone. That much food and liquor that late at night would have had several bad effects on me..sleeping, for sure. Now, here's the biggie:

I realized that had I had exactly that meal, looking back the next day would have given me no pleasure, none whatsoever. I would have been feeling the effects of poor sleep, etc. but there would have been nothing on which to draw from that indulgent, highly anticipated meal. I did, however, feel really good about not having had it.

As busy as life is right now, I have to dig through BDS and find out exactly what Beck says about this. I need to be able to use this realization in the moment, not as an afterthought. Look forward to your insights or experiences with this.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #115  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

just a quick hello........got to the gym today

Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #116  
Purpose + Bucket

S/C/G: 206/153/130

Height: 65.5 inches.

Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. You can call me bucket for short. It derived from my famous bucket jokes as follows:
"What's red and looks like a bucket?"
"...?"
"A red bucket."
"...."
"What's blue and looks like a bucket?"
"..A blue bucket?"
"No a red bucket in disguise!"**
**cue me laughing hysterically at my joke and getting the I-want-to-dropkick-you-in-the-face stare in return.

Bill - I stumbled upon the Beck Solution via looking for books in the general cognitive therapy genre. I had a break down and a total binge a couple of days before I checked the book out, and most of it was relating to my happiness levels, my self-esteem, and wanting to lose weight but always falling into bad habits (like binging). I ended up checking out The Beck Solution for the issues I have with weight loss, and two other books for everything else to kind of wrap it all up.

Needless to say, so far, pleasantly surprised. I wish I had purchased a cognitive therapy book sooner, haha. Yay for eventually finding it, though.

I actually had joined another Beck group for support/coach/buddy system, but it.. kind of.. sucked? So I googled more groups, found this one, thought "heeeyy, this one is active! I'm joining" and vuala~! XD

On the topic of P90x (yes, the workouts are big challenges, but anyone can do them, really.. it's just a matter of modifying to your needs), I just got done with plyo today. Hurray. An hour of jumping somehow always takes me an extra half hour to complete since I always horse around during the workout. I'm so freakin' proud of myself that I got through it because midway during the warm-up I was thinking "I really don't want to do this. I already worked so hard during the week. My calves hurt. C'mon, it's a saturday" etc etc. Stuck through it, made it work, and I'm all endorphin hyped and better then before. Woot. The hardest part is getting through the first 15 minutes, and after that, it's smoooth sailin'. Credit to me for getting through it. Yay.

Being all endorphin rushed and extreme (I'm in such a mood where you find yourself tearing a phone book in half with your bare hands and making loud animal noises while thumping your chest rapidly), kudos RobinW for going to the gym. Well.. If you could.. raise one of your hands for a high five from me to you, that'd be good enough.. right? I kind of miss the gym. The YMCA had some really nice quiet treadmills. I envy the quiet treadmill. Only treadmill I got gives this loud THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP that you can hear outside if you're running fast enough. Blegh.

twilit tera - You're in Texas too?! Fun weather, aye? It's been an awefully rainy April and May. I'm just waiting for it to hit the 100's again. XD

And now I shower.
Wheeee~.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #117  

Coaches/Buddies I'm not sure if today was on plan or not. I suppose so. I had a huge workout this morning, the last big one before the race next week, and I ate about 1000 calories more than normal. I also burned off about 1000 calories more than normal, so it works out. I do expect my weight to be off tomorrow, just due to electrolyte reshuffling. We'll see.

My mental energy is still low, so not much going on in the way of CT stuff, except the usual running self talk. I guess that part is good. I seem to have had a breakthrough with sleep last night, and fully expect to sleep again tonight. I'm not overtired, but also not wide awake, and that is just about perfect.

It's time to admit that I'm under a lot of stress. There are major issues at work, career-altering issues, and addressing them is a lot of work. I'm also turning 40 next week, so I feel like I'm at a crossroads anyway.

On the plus side, I went "shopping" in the pre-baby bin again today, and got about half the remaining stuff out. I've dropped a size, easily. I'm not even so far from the stuff that remains in there. It really feels good. The last 10 pounds or so have made a huge difference in my self-esteem and the way I carry myself, and I'm feeling like I'm stepping back into my pre-baby body. Not that I'm done, but have definitely turned a corner.

Bucket I think CT is a really important cornerstone of my weight management plan, and hope you find it to be the same. Beck does it really well.

Nice work on the plyo!

Bill Thanks for this: Busy isn't a valid excuse, it's just a choice. Sounds like a great Response Card! Hope you find balance with your walking, gym and Gerbilina. Your dance card is pretty full, and sometimes switching out one activity for another is a good thing to do to shake up the body.

I'm kind of with you on the leptin issue in your message to ChinaMaine. For me, my food issues are head issues. It isn't hunger. Just the reward centers in my brain firing off when I get certain foods or certain quantities of foods. I think that is an issue of bad training of the dopamine systems rather than a leptin-driven one. Which reminds me, I still have to do that book review some time. Perhaps when I'm 40. Wahahaha.

Tera Controlled splurges are just that. We all need them once in a while. Good for you.

As far as seeing the doctor. Hmmm. Two factors going on here. The first: I've actually been a lifelong insomniac, and this is not new to me. Hasn't happened since I've had the kids, I'm guessing because my general fatigue levels haven't allowed it, but the pattern is familiar. My experience has been that by the time I get to the doctor for some help, usually in the form of appropriate medication since I already practice the sleep hygiene stuff, the current cycle has ended, and at that point I'm talking about preventative care for the next cycle. But, second factor: I'm in the process of firing my current primary care provider and replacing her with someone else. So I haven't gone through all the get-acquainted visit and settling in. So as long as the current cycle ends soon, I'm going to wait to discuss that with the new doctor as part of that visit. Whenever that happens--within the next month or two.

maryblu Sorry about the sodium bloat!

You're looking for thoughts on how to keep the good feeling of passing up an unsatisfying and diet breaking meal foremost in your mind. Yes? This is a perfect opportunity to write a Memory Card, which is described in CBDL and not BDS. Just write down your experience on a card, just like you'd write a Response Card. Then read it before you go out to eat. Or on travel, or anywhere you think you'll be tempted. Make more than one copy if that is helpful. The cards actually remind me of school--studying from flash cards. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until it sticks in the head. And then repeat some more, maybe infrequently, to keep it there.

BTW: a really, really profound insight. Thanks for sharing. And fattening food is NEVER cheap.

Robin Hope you had a happy gym. Hope you have another tomorrow.

to onebyone, angelmomma210, and missing you kuhljeanie and davidette. Hope you're lurking.

Anne
Old 05-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #118  

Wink Saturday

I drove home from NJ yesterday. It was a long day – 8.5 hours of driving and I got in at 10 PM. Food was good yesterday though. I had breakfast and lunch at my friend’s so that was all op. I got dinner at Boston Market – it’s the best tasting GF fast food. I had a rotisserie chicken breast, dill potatoes and green beans. It was actually pretty tasty. Sunday night I did a search on GF fast food to get the latest info. I found out that McDonalds chicken breast is no longer GF but that Starbucks now carries a GF orange cake. So, I bought a latte and cake after dinner. I drank the latte right away, and saved the cake for when I was tired. At 300 calories, it’s really not too bad. I ate ½ the cake on the road, and the other half after I got home last night. It was sooooo good to get home.
WI- down 0.5 lbs to New Low. I also hit my mini-goal, and am just 1.1 lbs from getting to the 170s. I haven’t definitely decided what my reward is for this mini-goal, so it’s something I need to figure out soon. Food – op (I budgeted an extra 200 calories of food since burned almost 800 calories today), Exercise – did 2 hours of yard work. I was really tired so it wasn’t as fun as it usually is. But the yard is really starting to look better, so that’s rewarding. Fatigue: 3.3 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue) By this evening I was a very cranky girl. Luckily my DH is a certified saint.
Anne I’m really sorry about the insomnia – it really makes everything so much harder. I hope you sleep well tonight. It’s probably best to keep the intensity down when you are so tired, don’t you think? It’d just be another stressor on your immune system… I’m positive leptin isn’t my issue either. I think metabolism, sabotaging thoughts and bad habits are my enemies. I finished the Kolata book yesterday, and found most of the logic to be poor, and it seemed she was selective in the research she discussed. The one argument that really seemed reasonable to me was that those who have issues with leptin really do face difficult biological issues. And our society’s insistence that obesity is fundamentally a matter of will power is doing those folks a real disservice. I’m not saying weight loss is impossible for them; I don’t think there’s enough research yet to say. Rather that they may face challenges that will power may not allow them to overcome.

bucket (with a purpose) and nice to meet you too!

Bill Left rice on your plate – credit! And credits and lunges – kudos! You exercise a lot – doesn’t it make sense that you’d exercise a bit less now that you’re maintaining? I agree – I still find it so odd that our fat produces a hormone. I do feel for those who have Leptin Resistance. Doesn’t it mean that they’d be hungry all the time? Wouldn’t they tend toward binging? And our society holds people who binge in greater contempt than they do the ‘regular’ obese. It seems that if the Leptin Resistant are always hungry, then it’s a challenge that the rest of us can’t really imagine. It’s possible I’m not really understanding things – but if they do feel insatiably hungry, then taking a drug to help them respond to Leptin makes a lot of sense to me. To me it wouldn’t be a diet pill anymore than my thyroid pills are a diet bill. My thyroid doesn’t function properly. My metabolic issues are caused by my thyroid disease and, probably, also by a lack of exercise and poor diet. For the leptin resistant, they may have a mediating symptom of ever-present, insatiable hunger. While their weight issues are partially a symptom of their disease, there are also other possible sources of their weight problems. We might benefit from having to walk a mile in their shoes... At least that’s how I’ve been processing the info. But the research in this area is still very new, I honestly don't think anyone knows for sure yet...

In fact, the folks on this thread may self-select for Beck because it can be effective for them. It’s possible, that the Leptin Resistant might not experience the same benefits from CBT since their issues are fundamentally biological and not cognitive…

I don’t want it to seem I’m interested in any possible leptin based treatment, because I don’t think it would help me. My issues are cognitive and metabolic, I believe.

Tera Credit for the calorie counting, vitamins and very special shoes ! It sounds like you have a nice day planned with your Mom. Sorry your pain level was up quite a bit. for the new low yesterday! Yes most GF pasta is made with rice, although some is made with corn. This tasted like it was made of rice… I’ll happily geek out with you over Star Trek, anytime. I don’t want to over-hype it, but if you like the original ST, I think you’ll like this movie…

maryblu I had edamame with salt for my before dinner ‘salad’. It was delicious but your post today kept coming to mind. What a fantastic realization about your missed restaurant meal.

Robin Yay for the gym!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #119  

It seems that Anne and I cross-posted: for a great exercise day! And kudos for fitting into most of your pre-baby clothes. It's got to feel wonderful. I'm really glad you slept well last night -- is it because you didn't have to work today? It's good you've identified the multiple sources of stress in your life right now... I hope identifying them helps make your daily life better...
Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Put the tomato plants into the ground; CREDIT moi. I'm psyched. I chose the variety of seed from the catalog; buried the little guy 1/2 inch under in the little pot; wrote his name on the tongue depressor stuck in the pot; transferred him into the larger pot; watered him on the patio waiting for the date of no frost; and, now, put him in the garden. Such fun.

And, in all those steps, one of the plants clearly wasn't that kind of tomato, LOL. Somewhere, someone (presumably me) got the wrong seed growing. DW wasn't phased a bit, "That happens, that's why we plant more than we need." Oh Well.

Headed to a 50th birthday party today. Will be a major eating opportunity, likely good choices and certainly ample ones. Hoping to do something rational.

maryblu - Ouch for "nuts right now, on all fronts." Sending supportive thoughts that you move through the perfect storm of stuff happening. Kudos for making choices by "saying no to the less important stuff ."

Ouch for the sodium bloat from Chinese food. Kudos for one of the best phrases ever - the "Ugly Additive." You need to get that into the standard sodium rants by our sodium guy (Dan I think).

Amazing insight to realize that the "indulgent, highly anticipated meal" would have been a negative experience the next day, and that having skipped it you did "feel really good." You're right on that that's a key Beck insight; we'll feel good for exercising our Resistant Muscle, bad for the Giving In Muscle. I do like your story, particularly that the grand meal "was even cheap!"

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Kudos for gym even when busy, busy, busy. Hope you got out a bit into yesterday's sunshine.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for the 1000 calorie workout; that's some moving about.

Ouch for the "career-altering issues at work." Good luck in making choices and finding the way to execute them. Sometimes it's just luck to be on the team that comes to be in favor. Wish you well in that.

Congrats on the progress in size that allowed the successful shopping in the pre-baby bin. Neat that you feel that you've "definitely turned a corner."

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay that your activities for the day include choosing which type of walking you do - creek or mall. Soooooo much better than being bed-ridden all day. Sure seems like you're making progress. Kudos for your determination and perseverance.

I like the phrase, "controlled excess." That reflects my current attitue that it isn't a little excess that worries me, but uncontrolled eating of any volume that's the concern.

ChinaMaine - Welcome home road warrior; that's a long drive. Kudos for staying on plan during the trip. (I know Boston Market; fed my family many a meal from there back when they were called Boston Chicken and were about the only option for take out besides Chinese or pizza.)

That's a key insight that it's self selecting to be here; those of us who find Beck useful probably are less likely to be suffering from Leptin Resistance. Your reminder is useful to me that I don't know what other obese/overweight folks are going through.

bucket (bucketwithapurpose) - Simultaneously wincing and LOL at the "famous bucket jokes." Can understand the stares, LOL.

Kudos for knowing to go shopping in the "general cognitive therapy genre", with special Kudos for finding Beck and recognizing that she'd be useful to you.

I recognize those Sabotaging Thoughts to quit the plyo exercise. BTDT. Kudos for plowing ahead. Is plyo your key exercise or do you use different ones from the P90x set?

Readers -
Quote:
resistance technique 7
Meditate, pray, or relax.

Try one of the following breathing techniques:

• Take 10 deep, s-l-o-w breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Concentrate on your breathing. If you start to think about food, gently bring your attention back to your breathing.

• Change your breathing, inhaling very shallowly through your nose (so that your chest does not rise) and s-l-o-w-l-y count to four. Then exhale shallowly as you s-l-o-w-l-y count to four. Do this for two to five minutes. If you start to think about food, gently bring your attention back to counting and breathing.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 100

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-17-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo - one 'are' per sentence.
Closed Thread