Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #106  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Great idea, Carol. That's also when I get to googling IE looking for others to connect with also.

I went to Trader Joe's today. I bought alot. I was finding there wasn't much in my cabinets or refridge that I liked so I needed to work on that. I feel so much better now.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #107  

Shay, what did you buy at Trader Joes? I have never been there but my daughter in Portland goes there. I think Minneapolis would be the closest here and that is 4 hr. away.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #108  
On my way back to goal!

S/C/G: 218/201.5/140

Height: 5' 2"

Smile Introduction

Hello to everyone here!

After reading every book available written by Geneen Roth (who, if you are unaware, has written several books in relation to listening to your own body, eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are full), and now 1/2 way through the book "Intuitive Eating", I have decided that this has to be my approach to trying to get a handle on my binge eating problem. I started with this on Thursday after having been a calorie counter since 2003.

I began my weight loss journey in 2003 at a weight of 268 pounds. Through dieting (Atkins, calorie counting) and exercise, was able to lose 128 pounds. At my lowest recorded weight, I weighed 133 pounds. My goal weight now is to weigh 140 pounds. Since Oct. of last year, however, I have gained back some of that lost weight and am now approximately 20 pounds away from my goal. For a long time, I was able to limit the binge eating to the night after weigh in at our TOPS group. Since last October, however, it has been happening with more frequency. Through reading these books, I have realized that my constant dieting and deprivation have been the root of my binge problem. Since deciding to listen to my own body's cues, I have not felt deprived (of course, today is only day 3) and I have felt satisfied when I have eaten something.

I am wondering, how long each of you have been following this particular way of eating and how you feel about your "success" with it? I know this much for certain - I do not want to restrict my food intake any more! I have still been entering my food intake into Daily Plate, along with exercise, but it's more to see how things compare now to the way things were before.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated! Also, if there are other books regarding this that you have read please let me know! I am anxious for knowledge!

MariSue
MariSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #109  

Hi carol, does aleka and cannot remember her name ever come on anymore. never see them. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #110  

Marisue, I have been following IE for about 2yr. with a few side track diets. i have lost about 25 lb with another 20 to go. I used to want to way 40 less (I'm 5'4'' and 120 would be the ideal) but I'm almost 60 and take prednisone long term so think that might be a little too low. LaDean, Aleka was on this year not too long ago. Jo still posts elsewhere and Kay has been on this year, too, I think.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #111  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Carol--I bought at Trader Joe's:
Steelcut oats, coconut sorbet, Ezekial wheat bread, portabello mushroom ravioli, grapes, organic soymilk, organic lowfat yogurt, pomodromo chicken, gorgonzola chicken, mojito salmon, mushroom herb chicken sausage, tomato basil chicken sausage, provolone cheese, ww pizza crust, etc and a bunch more stuff.

I went to Whole Foods today, some of what I bought:
veggie burgers, veggie breakfast sausage, soy coffee creamer, etc

MariSue--I do believe this is the way too. I am a binge eater and had a couple of starts and stops with being binge free but I believe I might be 56 days binge free right now. I need to check my calendar. I really enjoy not being restricted and being able to eat when I am hungry. I have read "Intuitive Eating" and now need to move on to "When Food is Love" by Geneen.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #112  

Oh, Shay, you're making me hungry. ha! Coconut sorbet is something I would like to try.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #113  

Hi carol. thanks. i know people come and go but remember them and miss them. but always new ones so is nice to have lots of online friends. love the boards. keeps me on my toes. I do not buy much special things. just eat most what i want and watch portions and try to eat from food groups. helps me. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #114  

Yahoo has an IE group but sometimes I feel like I don't fit. I still read, though. They don't talk much about losing weight. They are really interested in accepting themselves the way they are which is good but I wish they talked more about losing. I hate to ask either because I don't want to offend people. I'm thinking of writing to Gillian (forgot her last name) who has her own website and is the moderator. I know she lost a lot of weight at one time.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #115  

Something just dawned on me that I thought might be helpful. I have a near 90 yr. old friend who until this yr weighed about 200lb. She is in a nursing home and I visit her about twice a month. Just recently she has lost weight and is down to about 140lb. She has congestive heart failure but all of a sudden she is improving. The had signed her up for hospice and now they have canceled it. I'm not sure how she lost it though I know she has been sick with the flu this winter a few times and not able to keep food down. She is a little forgetful so I'm not sure she would understand if I asked her about her diet. She nearly died about 6 mo. ago and now they have lowered most of her meds, I think.........less lasix, etc. I know this lady has been dieting most of here life which is a long one. Now she is not dieting. I think this is fascinating.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #116  

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! It was another crazy week. I fell down and scraped my hand pretty bad on the sidewalk on Wednesday. I was glad I didn't sprain or break anything, but a couple of days later I realized my hand was infected and there was a pink streak running up my arm. I am on antibiotics now. Ick.

I'm still not focusing much on intuitive eating, although I've noticed I'm not as hungry as I usually am. Maybe that's because it's getting to be warm out. I've really been making an effort to get more active. I'm hoping all these general ideas about an intuitive eating/active lifestyle start to converge for me.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #117  

Good morning,

I used to post on this thread a very long time ago. Thank you for the invite back, Carol.

I had been doing Paul McKenna's, I Can Make You Thin, but somehow got off track. I have decided to start listening to my body again, eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. I just can't go on another diet.

Amy, I'm so sorry about your hand. Hope it's feeling better soon.

likenoother, you're lucky to have a Trader Joe's nearby. DH & I lived in NH and whenever we would go to MA to visit relatives, we would always stop at the nearest Trader Joe's. Now we occasionally go to Whole Foods which is a good distance from us.

Carol, I also belong to that group on Yahoo. I don't feel as though I fit in either. I read in one of your posts that you've lost 25 lbs. Congratulations! You & I are about the same age, so it's good to know this WOL works for slower metabolisms.

LaDean, it's been a long time. How are you? How is Beau? Lacee is doing great. She's on a special diet now and thankfully she loves the food.

MariSue, there is a book I have but haven't read yet, The Rules of Normal Eating, by Karen R. Koenig.

Hope you all have a great day.
Ali
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #118  

Hi Aleka, great to see you again. I wonder if taking prednisone slows my weight loss down as it has taken me 2 yr. to lose that weight and I still have time when I can gain 5lb in one day maybe due to fluid. But I just keep plugging away because I know I can't stick to any diet.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #119  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

Default New to the group

Hi everyone, I want to introduce myself and hopefully become part of this group. I've been an off and on dieter for years. My highest weight was 175 last fall, which kind of shocked me. I knew I had gained but I hadn't realized I'd gone over about 165. The next day I went back to WeightWatchers (made lifetime in 2001 at 130 lbs.) Up down Up down...you know the drill.

I remember a gazillion years ago reading Geneen Roth's first book, and didn't feel it was totally right for me, as I don't feel that I'm an emotional eater. So I dropped the idea.

About a week ago I followed a link somewhere, found new info out there, Geneen Roth's website (I love the mp3's) and have purchased a bunch of new books, and I'm doing it for real.

Actually I think I found out about this when deciding to stop drinking, which I had been doing to much of, and found a great book on that, and haven't drank or even cared to in about a week now. It's been about 4 days of IE too, which is really going well.

I'm even starting to test myself, things like allowing myself to go a bit longer with hunger.

One thing that really is helping, and that I totally detest, is eating at the dining room table with no distractions. Without a doubt, I seem fuller faster.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #120  

Hi Alright. I, too, never considered myself an emotional eater. Everyone is different. Lately my problem has been nothing tastes good. I'm hungry but can't figure out want I want to eat. I think sometimes I get too hungry and don't take the time I need to figure it out. That happens when you're busy and realize all of a sudden you're really hungry. I think that maybe I need to make a list of my favorite things and check that.