Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #16  

Still struggling with altitude sickness but I'm usually ok the day we leave. ha! Our car broke down and we had to have a new transmission put in but we were able to rent a car from the Denver airport. Just a quick question...I went to bed a little hungry last night. When I woke in the night I wasn't hungry. What causes the hunger to go away?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Marking my spot on the new thread---Hope everybody is doing well!
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #18  
From squishy to buff.....

S/C/G: 325/145/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone! I just found this thread after venturing into some uncharted areas of 3FC! So glad you are all here and working on IE.
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this type of eating is what I am supposed to be doing. The only freedom with food I have had in my life is by following my body's cues. My problem is getting started. I constantly have in my mind to wait until I am hungry, so that part isn't so hard. But whenever I eat I sort of go into this trance like state and don't even realize how much I am eating and that I am waaaay past full. I know it is only a matter of waiting again until hunger comes back to eat but usually the guilt sets in at that point and I start to think, "The heck with it. I'm just going to have what I want".
Does anyone have any words of wisom or advice for me?
Thanks again for being here!
trying2Bbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #19  

Hi Becky and welcome T2BB. After reading your post it makes me think if we had just stuck with IE which were doing as kids and young adults we wouldn't be so baffled by hunger and fullness. Do you remember that freedom when you were younger? I think it helps to remember the things you liked to eat back then, too.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #20  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Hi Becky and T2BB.

T2BB--I also knew IE was the best thing for me when I started but I continued to eat past full just because I could not because I was hungry. I had been restricting myself for so long the fact that I could eat when and how much I wanted was so amazing to me. It took a few weeks but I'm doing a million times better and am starting to see results on the scale. I can recognize when I am satisfied and just have to say its okay to stop. You are no longer hungry. You don't have to finish it.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Hi Becky and welcome T2BB. After reading your post it makes me think if we had just stuck with IE which were doing as kids and young adults we wouldn't be so baffled by hunger and fullness. Do you remember that freedom when you were younger? I think it helps to remember the things you liked to eat back then, too.
Hi, Carol and Shay and T2BB!

Carol, you are absolutely right! If I had NEVER started dieting when I had a few pounds left on me after having my daughter (31 years ago), I don't believe I'd have ever gotten this big. I might have gone up a few pounds and stayed at a heavier range than my normal pre-pregnancy weight of 120, but I don't think I would have dieted-and-fallen-off my way up to nearly 300 pounds! It just makes me sick--sad and angry.

When I was growing up, we lived on a farm, and we always had fresh fruits, veggies, milk, and meat. My mother even made butter sometimes. She baked bread, and if we had pies, they were homemade with fresh fruit.

We never really had much for "junk" until my father went to work for a potato chip and snack foods distributor. Even then, the chips and candies off his truck weren't a regular thing, but just sometimes.

I remained naturally thin until I got pregnant. I've battled weight ever since.
I lost 50lbs going through a divorce, but most of that zoomed back on shortly after I remarried. Between my new husband being an excellent cook, and my (unknown to me then) hypothyroid, the weight packed on and I haven't been able to budge much of it since.

If I'd just STOP going on all these diets, and just eat "normally", I'd probably be a lot better off.

How's everyone else doing today?

It doesn't look like there are many people posting here these days.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #22  
From squishy to buff.....

S/C/G: 325/145/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I honestly think that my biggest problem in all of this is that I have always been overweight, ever since I was about 9-10 years old. When I think back on my childhood and adolescence, I realize that I was always hungry. My parents were not poor but they never prepared enough food for the whole family to eat until we were satisfied. And if we said we were still hungry we were told we'd had enough. I thought this was normal until my DH reminded me of a time he came over to eat at my house when we were dating in high school. I think this acted just like when we go for years on low calorie diets; I had this total constant deprivation thing going on and I have been trying to feel satisfied ever since. So I am constantly eating to make sure I still can. Geesh, it's going to take a long time to stop playing that old tape!
Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I have been reflecting a lot on why I eat so I have a lot of stuff running around in my brain.
Hope you are all having a good day!
trying2Bbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #23  
My Evolution

Truffle--You're right there are not many people posting. That's why I made it a 3 month thread. Some people float through but there are always the tried and true that are always here.

I've had a really busy couple of weeks it will slow down here and there but will remain busy. IE has helped because I tend to binge terribly when my life is hectic but today is Day 17 of being binge free and things are going really well. My relationship with food is so healthy and I am really happy about that.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #24  

Shay, being 17 days binge free is really great!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #25  
My Evolution

Thanks, Truffle! I'm excited about it. I think I made it 24 days last time. I will have to check my blog and journal but I'm trying to make it way past that this time around.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #26  

Happy Friday, everyone!

This morning after weighing, I stuck my scale underneath my bed. I think I'll do better if I don't weigh myself every day, even though I'm one of those numbers geeks who likes to input the daily number into the weight-averaging software to watch the trends.

"Watching" the weight number has done nothing for me but make me eat more and go higher, so we'll see how long I can leave the scale where it is.

I'm in full spring cleaning/decluttering mode. I am what they call a "cleanie" married to a "messie", so I make my dh real nervous when I get in this mood. I just love to have everything clean and fresh, and any clutter that's accumulated through the winter taken care of, so that when the summer heat arrives, we don't have to worry about big cleaning or organizing projects.

I even bought myself a new mop today. Go, me, ha ha!

What's happening with everybody else today?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #27  

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone. Warning...this begins with a long off-topic vent:

This has certainly been one of those weeks. It started bad on Monday when my boss told me she needs to justify keeping my position to her boss. (I've already had my annual review and it was positive, so this isn't due to poor job performance). Honestly, I don't think I'm really in danger of losing my job but you never know. I actually believe it's her way of motivating her employees, but um, that's not too effective.

Then I had co-worker issues. Most of my co-workers are just great, but then there's always the one no one wants to work with, and guess who I've had to work with this week. I'm busy putting together a huge report of everything I've done since being hired in August and I've got this co-worker annoying me every other minute because she's a control freak on a power trip.

So I heard about a job open in another office where I work (I work at a university), and I actually worked in that office as a grad student. I've even maintained contact with some of the staff there and I called one of the people up. She said she had been thinking about ME when they put the job ad up, but didn't contact me because she thought I was happily employed. It would be a pay cut for me, but unlike in my current position, there would be more job security AND the potential for advancement. The day I called she told me they had completed the review of applications and were waiting to schedule interviews, but if I got my application in that day she would have the search committee look at it. So I emailed it right away that morning (Tuesday) and I've been anxiously waiting to hear something since. I don't know if I should try to confirm that they got the application. I don't want to bother my contact again, and I know that things at a university move very slowly. But now I'm torn about whether I should or shouldn't ask. I'm afraid if I do ask, and they tell me my application was too late, I'll be in despair.

So it's been a stressful week on the job front, but I'm hoping to hear some good news. We also sold our old house! But I'm anxious about that too, since the guy cannot close until June and so much can go wrong between now and then, and if it does, I'll be wondering if we lost out on the opportunity to sell to someone else. Since it's a buyer's market I'm just so scared we'll be paying two mortgages for a year or more! So cross your fingers that everything goes well.

And the weather is just so depressing. I'm like on the verge of a mental breakdown. I'm not sleeping well at all, then when I wake up it's so gray out it might as well be night in winter. My mood is so dependent on the weather lately. If it's sunny out, I notice an immediate burst of energy. Sadly, the sun has barely made an appearance and I cannot gather the energy to do healthy things. I was enjoying going on walks, but now I just want to curl up in a ball on the couch when I get home from work. It's bad.

I made the mistake of stepping on a scale. I gained back all the weight I had lost on Weight Watchers. I know that's not recommended by IE authors, but I decided I'm going to need to work a scale into my life for regular weighings. I know it's common for people to gain weight when they come off a diet and being IE. But it's still upsetting to see that gain. Anyway, I am still learning about how to make IE work for me, and what about it appeals to me. Of course I enjoy the common-sense approach, and the fact that I don't have to count anything or refuse to eat anything I want. But I still need help cutting myself off. And I think knowing that I will be weighing myself, that I am indeed accountable, will help me to pay more attention to my body's cues that tell me I'm full. So now, that's what I'm doing.

Sorry everyone, for such a long and negative post. I hope everyone else had a better week!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #28  

Hi, Amy...Phew, you sure HAVE had a tough week! I used to work at a university, and if I was in your position, I'd call and make sure they received my application. I couldn't stand wondering about it, and there's nothing wrong with looking like you're eager for a new position.

That has to be nerve wracking waiting for your closing too, especially in this economy. June is an awful long time to wait and wonder.

It's funny that you've decided to bring the scale back into your life because today I decided to take it OUT of mine. I do much better without seeing the number. For some reason, SEEING how heavy I am makes me FEEL how heavy I am, if that makes sense.

I hope that you'll feel better soon, and that things will start looking up for you. I hope everything works out with your job and selling your house too. I hate it when several things in life are up in the air. Drives me nuts, and it's hard not to eat over them.

I hope you can enjoy your weekend.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #29  
My Evolution

Hi everyone,
Amy--Ditto what Truffle said. I think not knowing is the worst!

Scale--That's funny because I recently brought mine out of hiding and was pleasantly surprised to find that I have lost 3lbs. I was struggling with whether to keep it out or not but now that I've joined TBL Challenge I will be weighing on a weekly basis. Because I'm not bingeing and I really think I'm on the right path I can weigh weekly. I will not weigh until necessary for the challenge and there will always be challenges so I won't weigh myself in bw them. I'm trying to have some type of balance.

My goal is to finish the IE book by Earth Day so I need to get on it. I want to try to squeeze a minimum of 2 chapters in this weekend.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #30  

Well, so much for putting my scale away! I was adding photos to our church website earlier, and saw a picture of me taken at a church dinner last month. UGH. Not only was it a shock to see myself so unexpectedly, but I do not feel anywhere near as huge as I look. UGH.

That spooked me so much I went and dragged the scale back out from under the bed and put it in the bathroom. Whether weighing every day works for me or not--and it doesn't--I don't dare NOT weigh in case I gain a bunch more weight.

The funny thing is, until I saw that photo, I was feeling really good today, and not eating a lot. I was actually feeling not so bloated around my waist.

We also got a notice in the mail this afternoon that said we owe nearly a thousand dollars on a hospital bill for my husband that we had been assured, months ago, would have been covered by insurance. Mad as that made me, it didn't throw me for as much of a loop as seeing that photo.

Who knows any more, huh?