Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #136  

After I thought about it my last post sounded kind of strange. Hope I didn't offend you, Jerie. Sorry.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #137  

Jerie, I feel the exact same way when I see photos of myself. That's why I hardly ever have my picture taken. When my best friend comes to visit me, my DH usually takes a picture of the both of us. When she & I look at the picture of us, we both are very critical of ourselves. I think a lot of women are like that. I live in FL and I can relate to the summer heat. Our temps will be in the high 90's with daily thunder storms all summer. DH & I moved down here from NH and in the summer I long for the cool mountains. I hope someday when we retire we can go back up there for the summer.

Hope all of you have a great day.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Good morning, everyone!

Well, the heat reached us yesterday for sure. It was 92 degrees last I checked, which is very hot for our area, especially so early. It isn't really even summer yet, technically! There's another week or so of school around here, and it's supposed to be beastly hot and humid until Wednesday. Those poor kids sitting in the un-air conditioned classrooms.

I've been taking care of my grandchildren for several hours each of the last three days while my daughter and her husband take care of some things related to moving to Florida next month.

Lots of snacking always goes on when the kids are here, and yesterday was no exception. However, since I know I can have whatever I want, without there being any "bad" foods to beat myself up about, I found that I wasn't sitting there, snacking constantly. I had a few Cheetos with the kids, and a couple of cookies, but that was it.

After everyone went home, it was just too hot to cook, so my husband made up a little platter of cheeses, celery, olives, bread, and crackers for us. We took a big pitcher of ice water with us, then ate our supper at the little table under one of our trees on the front lawn. We nibbled on a little of this, and a little of that, and it was fine. Afterwards I felt no need to go rummaging around through the cupboards and fridge for a bunch of other stuff to eat. We had dessert and that was that.

I've read "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies..." a few times, but it still hasn't sunk in for me yet. I, too, can identify with the feeling some of you have that I just look old and fat. My face still looks young, but my body is SO out of shape and "ruined". I don't even have a bustline now--it's all down around my waist! Yikes!

I am always astonished at how huge I look in photos too because I truly don't feel that big. Maybe I've just become used to hauling all this weight around, so I don't feel the outer perimeters of it now, if that makes sense.

Whenever someone sends me a photo that I'm in, it usually sends me into an eating frenzy. That is not a good way to handle the shock of seeing myself, I know.

Well, gotta run---hope you all have a good day--and stay cool!
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #139  

ALEKA,, Hey girl WELCOME BACK.... so neat seeing you again. have sure missed you on the boards. same old thing here. not gained wt back in over 3 years. but losing but slow. need to lose more. went off my atkins plan and trying something else. so all is going good. hope for you to.. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #140  

I thought this idea of IE was very well said from another forum.

I understand what you are saying about having certain conditions.
Fortunately when it comes to eating intuitively there are sooooooo
many levels to get to. I am at the beginning stage KNOWING that the
longer I do this the more intuitive I will become. Actually I think
if most people tuned in to their body with mindful eating exercises
they probably would not eat a few boxes of Twinkies. I think to
transition from the diet mentality from being in prison in regards
to food choices people WILL choose to eat "forbidden foods" just
long enough to heal old wounds and they will continue until they
realize that they can have it in the future and it is not against
the law. I don't think intuitive eating is all about the license to
go crazy and eat all the junk in the world (I know you did not say
that....I'm just being dramatic) but it is about relearning to TRUST
our bodies to tell us what it needs and truth be told you were
EXTREMELY INTUITIVE in making a decision to choose certain foods for
your health. You are listening to your body's response to foods and
adjusting your choices to BEST SUIT YOU....and not choose the foods
that do not honor you. Wishing you the best.... Carllie
Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #141  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Carol--I really like the part where she says "not choose the foods that do not honor you". Thanks for posting that.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #142  

Things are slow again. Sometimes it is too hot and humid to eat. Guess that's a good thing. I made fajitas for supper which everyone likes. I sure cook different than I used to. So much cooking that isn't strictly old fashioned American.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #143  

It's flooding really bad again here in WI. Thankfully, we live way up on a hill. My DH's office is in a town that is completely under water for the 2nd time in 10mo. His office had to be built 4ft. above the 100yr. flood but last year they had a record flood and this year it was a little worse. He didn't get water in the office but inches from the door. It is a small town with a few nice businesses that have really been hurt and will have trouble staying open... a grocery store, 2 gas stations, a meat locker that is very popular, a health food store, and a few restaraunts. The furniture man quit after the first flood. Such a mess to clean up. If you look at the Minneapolis Star Tribune news under Gays Mills, WI flood. you can see my DH in a boat riding to his clinic. He has a yellow hat on.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #144  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi - hope everyone is keeping cool today. I have to share a victory with you. Yesterday, I had been going from appointment to appointment with no time to eat at my regular lunchtime. I was ravenous and drove thru McD's & got a burger and fries. When I got home, I cut the sandwich in half and put it on a plate, also only put 1/2 the fries on. I told myself before I started to eat (which I always tell myself this) - If you finish this and are still hungry, you can have more. I ate my half portions, and was perfectly satisfied. At dinner I warmed up & ate the 1/2 sandwich, tried to freshen up the fries in the toaster over, but they tasted horrible, so I threw them away. So I made 1 sandwich and a small fries into 2 meals, and even threw some of it away. I was so proud of myself. Especially throwing away ANY kind of potato, which no one in my family would believe if they didn't see me do it.

Carol (and anyone else who is in the storm paths) - I have been seeing this on the news and feel so bad for those affected by it. It must be devastating to have this happen once, but so many places have had it happen many times. I'm sending thoughts and prayers to those of you affected.

Hope y'all are having a good day.

Last edited by soiley; 06-11-2008 at 04:56 PM.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #145  

Carol, I've been watching the flooding on the news. I can't get over all the rain. Besides the flooding, are you having any severe weather? The Weather Ch. has been talking about tornadoes and severe thunder storms. I am glad your house is on a hill and you aren't in any immediate danger. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected. I can't imagine going through this a second time in 10 months.

soiley, congratulations on your victory. You should be proud of yourself.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #146  

Hi. I've been eating emotionally a lot. I am trying to decide whether it's worth it to save my romantic relationship. I feel a big ball of grief even thinking aboutleaving, especially since we still love each other so much.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #147  

Amie, so sorry to hear of your trials with your SO. Jerie, what a great victory you had over the meals. We have had tornado warnings and one sited last Sat. but nothing touched down for which we are thankful. Eating is going good here. I just seem to lose my appetite in the summer. Every year we say we are going to get central air and we don't. Guess we'll live without it.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #148  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Jerie--What a great victory! That's the thing about McD's fries. You can't reheat them.

IE still going well. I might actually squeeze out some pounds. Weighing in every week for this challenge hasn't been as bad as I thought.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #149  

Oh, Shay, I don't know how you do that. When I was in a challenge I dreaded those weigh-ins. Maybe it reminded me of going to the doctor....something I always dreaded....those scales. Anyway, I do much better when I don't weigh in every week.....just my personal preference.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #150  

Good morning. My SO has aggreed to work through Getting the Love You Want with me. I was shocked that he aggreed to do it. He says he longs for the days when things were easier between us. I, on the other hand, realized that my constant anger was not constructive, and was driving him away. I worked through the book before, but with someone who only did it, because I threatened to leave, he really didn't want to. Feeling more optemistic about our relationship today.
Hi, Jeri, Carol, and Shay. Jeri, I know whatcha mean about fries. Though I'd eat garlic cheese fries cold without a second thought, how dumb is that, I don't even think I tasted them. Carol, I'm totally obsessed with the scale, weighing in a couple times a day. I'm gradually weaning myself off. I find that I know when I'm hungry, but it takes a bit to find what I'm hungry for, and I know when I'm getting full, but don't really wanna stop. I think my emotional state plays into that a lot. Be back soon. Today I work out, I've been doing it pretty consistantly, and am starting to see a difference. And tonight is the pizza making class, it should be fun, I've been looking forward to it for weeks.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote