Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Amber - thanks! It feels good to have a year under my belt although it does not give me too much reasurrance. In "refuse to regain" it talks about the odds of keeping significant wt loss going up after 5 years. So, one year at a time is my motto. Re - losing wt after eating red meat, I recall having that experience to. Maybe our bodies get to used to eating lean meats??

3sisters - I echo reading "refuse to regain" wonderful book. I set my goal and then went a little lower as I phased off. I remember those last 10-15lbs being harder to lose as the end was in sight. I think trust your body. I would find it hard to go back and lose wt after stopping to reach a lower #.

Lex -sending "wooosh" vibes your way

Finished my first sprint tri this weekend, came 17/31 in f40-44 yrs old. I Was happy with that and can't wait to do more next year. Back to training for 1/2 marathon Nov 1. Ate more this weekend and ate sugar so is back on track to eat clean and sticking to P2.

Happy Monday to everyone
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #152  

3sisters - one thing that Dr. Berkeley recommends is not tracking during maintenance - she explains why - I did try that and it freed me up to a certain extent, but then when I had an unexplained weight gain I wished that I had tracked so I could observe what exactly had happened as far as macros, etc.

I think I will try to keep tracking for a while, for me it works.

I saw an interesting show on HBO the other night if you have access to that, it was in their "On Demand" section of past documentaries and it was a series "The Weight of the Nation" and the episode was "Choices" and part of the discussion was the constant ups and downs over the course of most overweight people's lives and the difficulties of maintaining.
One of the things one of the doctor spoke about is people who lose weight (Previously Overweight - POW) they have found need to eat 20% less calories then someone who has never been overweight.

So the never over weight person could have 2000 calories a day, say, and not gain weight, but the previously overweight person would need to be at 1600 calories to maintain.
That really helped me, because my observation has been that I have to eat fewer calories than others to maintain, and I have started to feel like that's not just my imagination.
They said the other option in that scenario would be to add exercise in maintenance to compensate, so if your typical day is 2000 calories, then exercising an hour a day might offset that. Which is why most people who successfully maintain often are incorporating exercise. Because the exercise also raises the BMR some.

So things are things I have already been noticing in my stats, and it was helpful to hear the actual research.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello Maintainers!

Jenny: Congrats on a year Maintaining. You've done a fantastic job!

Grateful: I tracked everything and it still didn't stop the upward climb.

After a couple of weeks of false starts, I am firmly in a P1 reboot. This is day 2. I am now up 8 lbs. from my happy place. My company is going to the State Fair on the 26th. For the last 2 years I have been on a diet when we go. I am going to do P1 until then, eat what I want that day, and then go back to P1 to get back to around 140. I know that will throw me out of ketosis and it will take a bit longer to get to my goal. It's an adult decision. I guess I need to read Refuse to Regain as well. 9 months into Maint and I'm not feeling very successful and have had several nightmares that I wake up back at 206 lbs and I have to start all over. I know it's just 8 lbs but it's scary.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #154  

Amber - that is so I there sting about POW's having to eat less on maintenance than people who were never overweight. I thought I was eating less and people remarked that I "should" be eating more. Of course I have eaten more and now I'm up.

Andrea - thanks. You have done great in your 9mths and had some injuries which slowed you down. I ca pn relate to the nightmares about gaining it all back. I'm up 7 and feel like I'm up 20 in my head.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi gals... popping in to say hi! Tonight is the last night of my 'workweek' - I slept til 2 pm today, lol. That doesn't leave much time for anything else. I've got a couple of mending jobs to do before my afternoon is kaput. The Rancho Vignola fresh crop wholesale nut sales page just came up - so I guess I better get ordering if I want to save some bucks again this year. If we order $500 or more we get a better price. And yes, we DO order more than that. One year it was over $750 (it's our year supply of raw nut yummies like pecans and macnuts, beside the usual fresh walnuts and almonds). No comparison to buying the 'old stock' in the stores. If I can't have me the fresh stuff - I just go without.
http://ranchovignola.com/

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #156  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default POW and calories

Amber, what you wrote resonated with me. Since I started maintaining at the end of January, I gradually increased my calories to the low end of what the calculators recommended which was 1600. I kept very gradually gaining weight and talking with my ND and adjustEd my thyroid meds. Middle of July was my final med adjustment, and also targeted my calories at 1450. Since then I have not gained more weight. I'm 5 pounds over where I would want to be. Right now I'm not worrying about it, just working on maintaining. All my clothes still fit fine, some are just a little more snug than last spring. I've also learned I'm really carb sensitive and I just can't eat them, and if I do there are consequences. Ah well.
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #157  

Hi guys -
Jenny thank you for the reminder about the 5 year statistic. That rings true for me. Even with all the daily and weekly "drama" about the up and down 5 to 15 lbs we all work with, I continue to feel that if I can maintain that range for 5 years it will be a massive success for me.

I'm still working it - the first three weeks of P1 reboot went fine, I'm back down to a steady 162 for 2 weeks now, but 0 up or down. I did a pretty careless week last week - nothing to get me out of ketosis per se but extra bars every day. I did plan that as I had a very stressful week, and knew I would need to do that.
I went strict again on Tuesday and I've been completely cranky this week.

I think that three strict weeks might be my limit. I'm doing to stick it out until my WI on Wed. and then go to P3 regardless of if I have more loss or not. I was hoping to get to 159 but maybe that will happen during P3. I want to do a little reboot again in January (I'd like to do that annually or maybe up to two or three times a year) but only do two or three weeks.

Also, I've learned that I really need to get things handled if I go over 165 if at all possible. This P1 reboot stuff sucks, to be frank. I don't like not exercising. I'm still figuring it all out ladies, still feel like a newbie and fine with that.
I want to keep my calories a little lower as an average and try to keep the up lbs off and still have a balanced life. I would like though to experiment a little with maybe having a bit of a lower day and a bit of a higher day once a week. My body seems to respond well to that. Not a full P1 or a full cheat, but a more relaxed day and a stricter day. I'll let you know if I decide to experiment with that.
There's something going on with my BMR and I'm curious how to work with that more.

p.s. Andrea I consider you very successful. I like your term "adult decision". I think those are the kind of choices it's important to learn in maintenance, to get out of the "all or nothing" mentality. Kind of like if I decide to spend extra on a shopping trip, then I need to cut spending in other areas to make up for it. I am also learning that when I do want to spend a little more calories, I want it to be worth it and pleasurable and without guilt or worry. If it's for stupid reasons like stress and then I create more stress having to cut back for a few days - that I DON'T want.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 09-25-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #158  

Happy Monday ladies,

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
i just started getting those IP daily videos which have some good information in them. Is everyone getting them?

Re meal planning - who plans out all their meals a week ahead? I plan for two days at a time but wonder if I wrote down a whole menus would it make "following the plan easier"?? I feel like my dinners were getting to loose and I was eating impulsively which added lbs
Old 09-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #159  

Jenny, I don't plan my meals per se, but I do think it through when I do the grocery shopping. I generally eat the same thing all the time, the same 3 or 4 meals which I already know the calories/macros. I'm lucky in the sense that I like eating the same all the time for the most part.
I often log them the day before just so I can get a sense that my day will be within my calorie range, esp. if I'm doing something different or going out to eat.

As for me-
I'm doing OK, my P1 is pretty consistently 1 to 3 packets extra. I'm starting P3 on Wed. or Thurs. and likely will do it just for a week or two, we'll see.

I feel like this whole year is so much learning for me. I'm still a few pounds up from where I want to be in my mind, but I feel really good about my body. My body just seems to want to stay right around 160.

I want to get back to exercising, I've been walking and a little swimming but want to get back to yoga this week and maybe Pilates in a week or two.

On other fronts, a lot of change this past week.

- I have been dating on and off the last few years and met really nice men but nothing that "clicked" quite, and I have met someone that I have dated for a few months now that's going well, and there is the click. I had a good weekend with him and found the food part easy even though P1, eggs are always a great go to, and salads.
He doesn't drink (just a personal preference he has) so that makes things esp. easy with him. Even when not on P1 I'm only a drink or so a month girl.

The significant thing in this experience is watching the "body issues" start to fade. And I think heal from the past, past experiences with men who had issues with my body. Learning to choose people to be close to that don't have judgments about me helps me to let go of my own self judgments.

- I realized my job isn't working for me and after only deciding that last week already several opportunities are showing up. I have plenty of time to decide, I would like to finish the year where I am, and can stay as long as I want until I find the next right thing.

- I am also going to move back to the area I was living in earlier this year (just 30 miles from my current house) as I also realized with the work thing that I am happier more in the outskirts of the city rather than downtown.

- And as things sometimes go when we're lucky, my job offers are in that part of town, and the new boyfriend also lives in that area.

So things are coming together.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 09-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #160  

WooHoo, Amber.... serendipity!

Well, I'm baaaack from crazy busyness. MIL seems to be doing pretty good at her new place. At first she was, "OHHH, it's so small." Now that the moving boxes are out of the way and she realizes she doesn't need all the cooking utensils or supplies, there is even extra storage space at her mini apartment. The main 'problem' is that she has so many tchotchkes that there is no place to set them or display them all. We tried to get her to think about keeping only those things that really mean something to her (gift from a special friend, memento of a trip, etc) and get rid of stuff she just bought because she thought it was cute at the time. She has a senior mentality that she has to give it to someone (us, of course, since we are there at the time) and can't just send it to a thrift store. So for now I'm just saying, "Sure, we'll take that, thanks" and then passing it on to the thrift store. We have enough 'crap' at our own place, lol. After all, I know where my husband gets his collector sensibilities from.
Right now she is getting help to make sure she takes her 2x/day meds and showering help - suggested by the hospital for a few weeks until she gets reassessed and 'gets her routine back.' She was already on the phone to me this afternoon for a chat and talking about her wanting to pick up some hair colour (she does it herself - quite well too) and find a good but not too expensive hairstylist for a needed cut. So that must mean she is feeling quite a bit more like her old self.

Training went extremely well with the new gal at work - she's not new, but patrol route work is new to her. I passed on a glowing report to the boss and that will make it much easier for all of us this winter as one guy is out with a hernia operation and back issues, and another gal has had very bad pneumonia and needs to be eased back in for 6 weeks at 1 night/wk). That way it's not all up to me every night,

On the weightloss/reboot front... all this running around means no extra time to randomly snack or even notice that I feel like a 'little something,' SOOOO, I am down to 136.4 after a long (or so it seems) stall at 137/8. I must admit that I am not really doing P1.... more like sort of P2 Alternative plan. But if it works, it's definitely not onerous.

Here's pictures from the wedding we went to at the beginning of the month. I decided to stick with a brocade fancy top I already own and pair it with a new-to-me long satiny, heavy georgette skirt (if that makes any sense at all, lol). So the outfit cost me $8.00 (thank you, Value Village ahahaha).
I did the flowers so first photo is the night before as we are working on the bouquets. Next photo is bride & groom with her parents (her dad is my cousin).
The hanging antlers behind us are 'in velvet' as both of the newlyweds are outdoors people. Cake topper was a buck & doe tricked out in wedding gear. Not taking themselves too serious at all, lots of fun was had by everyone.

Liana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005 (600x800).jpg (32.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 022 (800x600).jpg (37.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 024 - Copy (486x800).jpg (21.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Liana, so glad things went well with your MIL. You look beautiful in the pictures!

Jenny, I am a two night planner too. If I thaw meat further ahead, it often gets wasted because something comes up- last minute.

Amber, so many exciting changes coming up for you. It is wonderful that you are healing yourself

Last edited by Slipfree; 09-28-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 144/117/120

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Everyone.....it has been a long time since i posted. My one year anniversary is coming up in November and i decided it is time to do a mini reboot. i am really only up 4 lbs from where i want to be, but i would rather do this now before it is too much. I am not sure if I will do 2, 3 or 4 weeks, I plan to see how it goes before deciding.
Part of that reboot will be spending more time on here keeping up with what everyone has to say and also keep me in line.
In the last year I realize how much we travel. At home i do fairly well and if i start sneaking too many treats I know how to pull back and deal with it.Travel is another story, we just spent 10 days in Las Vegas and well that is really where my 4 lbs came from. Probably more the drinks than the food!!! Maybe i need to lose more than the 4 lbs to give myself a better range. When i phased off last year i was right where i wanted to be, then i gave myself a 4 lb range. Unfortunately when i am at the top of my range i am no longer comfortable, so i think lowering it may help. Who knows maybe it is all in my head!
I saw my coach today and she really doesn't think i need this, but understands i have to do what i feel is best for me. She wants me to weigh in again once a week, but i am not sure i will do that as i have become a daily weigher and know what I need. If i feel i nee to be accountable to keep me in line i will go back.
On another note she mentioned IP has added a fitness area to their site, she is going to restart my videos so i can check it out. I will let you know what i think.
Thanks to all of you who take the time to continue posting in maintenance, its nice to know i am not alone in this.
Liana - beautiful pictures. You look amazing!
AllMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Tuesday Maintainers!

Grateful: Thanks for the kudos. And WOW! Your life is coming together nicely. Good for you. You deserve it.

Liana: You're a knockout in that outfit. Love it that it was under $10.

Jenny: I don' t plan out my menus anymore. I used to do it a week at a time when I had kids at home and then do the grocery shopping based on my menus. But now that it's just me, I seem to eat the same 4-5 meals every week. I know I should branch out and do different stuff, but it's hard enough to cook for one. New recipes/techniques yield at least 4 servings or 2 if I cut it in half and I just don't spend that much time cooking anymore. Meat/veg/salad - done.

AllMe: Great job maintaining!

I did the "fried everything" at the fair + beer and the next day went to a Greek Food Festival- Feta cheese balls are my new favorite thing. But now back on P1. Like Grateful, I think 2-3 weeks will be my limit on this because it IS NOT FUN. I still have the same 8 lbs I want to say good bye to and then it's into the gym to get rid of this spreadage I've been seeing in my hindquarters. Ugh.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #164  

Liana you look beautiful as always in your pictures. The dress is lovely.

Andrea good luck the next few weeks. I shopped for P3 foods last night and can hardly wait for the first breakfast. I ate 3 bars last night which is a lame use of 500 calories, then did the same throughout this morning. I can tell my body is done with P1. I haven't lost any weight for 3 weeks, I've been on 6 weeks. So the first three weeks were the effective ones.

Slip I hope your P1 is coming along OK also.

Sorry to be a P1 complainer .... I think I'm just done. I loved it the first few weeks and it was a nice refreshing break and good to drop the extra lbs. Then I got greedy and wanted to lose more and my body is over that.

AllMe fantastic work with maintenance, great to hear your story.

Hi to Murrcat and Jenny and everyone.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #165  

Thanks, gals, for your kind comments...

As you guys likely know by now, I am not a plan ahead dinner gal, lol. I am 'planning ahead' if I remember to take some sort of meat out of the freezer when I get up.
Mostly it's check the veggie bin at 4:30 pm and see if I can figure out what might be good to eat tonight. Anything I can thaw in microwave? Often when I am out in town in the afternoon I just run into my fave grocery and check the butcher market part to see what's been marked down for the day to eat for that night. Something that doesn't require much thawing like frozen shrimp? How about an omelette, or taco salad, or black bean pasta with tuna broccoli pesto? Perogies & sauerkraut and smokie for him/stir fry for me. Grilled steak or chicken breast, lazy cabbage rolls, Spanish rice/quickie paella (I throw in more veg and less rice or quinoa ). Lots of Indian, Thai, or Chinese stirfry with appropriate sauces.
I don't do roasts or roast chickens or turkeys (there's only two of us anyhow, so it's just a pain). I can, and I have, I just don't.

Liana

ps... hindquarter spreadage