Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #211  

Height: 5'7''

Default Newbie

Hello to you all I just joined this forum. I am on IP since Feb5th. Going well, can't wait to meet you all!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim151 View Post
Looks like this the right group for me - started IP just over two weeks ago, and lost 11 lbs at the end of week 2, and have been feeling great. I have to admit I am struggling a bit this weekend, but not craving sweets, just more real protein rather than the IP packs. It is great having this forum so you can learn from others going through the same thing.
Btw - there are a number of us on the board who are not using the IP packets (or not using them much) for various reasons - cost, allergies, etc. Personally, I too like "real" food and avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible (altho I have started using the WF syrup & stevia occasionally). I believe the "real food" equivalent for packet replacement is 1 whole egg / 2 egg whites. I also generally split my daily "real" protein intake 3/4 oz at lunch and 3/4 oz at dinner.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 245/seetracker/155

Height: 5'11

Hi all,

Had a great weigh in today! Lost 10 lbs since last Monday; this includes the 8 lbs I gained over the week with the family and I am down 2 lbs from my first week weigh in! Just goes to show you how much eating off protocol affects you and how long it takes to get back on track. I didn't measure yet though.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #214  
Creating my future today

S/C/G: 183/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Default A GOOD wrinkle

I... I... I found a WRINKLE in my favorite pair of jeans this weekend.

*sniff* It was such an emotional NSV moment for me, realizing that they no longer fit me like a sausage skin about to burst. I can do this!

Still losing, a little slowly right now (not enough water, I suspect), but very happy with the progress! Next mini-goal is to see the underside of 170#.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

I'm a little torn on the whole artificial sweetener thing. The science seems to suggest* that the fake sweetener may cause a steep insulin response, even in the absence of actual carbohydrates. And since the whole point of this diet is to retrain the pancreas (OK and also to lose weight), that would seem counterproductive.

I just can't bring myself to live off of the soups and the "potatoes" and the other savory items, though. So I eat the puddings and drink the drinks, and I hope that sucralose is somehow exempt from the "if it tastes sweet the body responds a lot like it's sugar" rule.

And you know what? Even if it isn't, even if my pancreas isn't getting the rest that I was promised, I'm still losing weight, and that is still good, in terms of inflammatory response and liver health and a number of other factors, which will hopefully contribute to a decreased likelihood of getting diabetes or other diseases that are correlated with obesity.** I mean, I'm eating a whole lot less sugar, now, and that has to be worth something!

I guess I'm saying I've decided the artificial sweeteners are the lesser of the evils, for now. I look forward to a day when I can eat real food, without all the sucralose, but until then, it helps me stay compliant with the protocol.

I respect those of you who are working harder to avoid the artificial sweeteners, though. More power to you! You've got to do what's best for YOU, y'know?

*Not as good a source as PubMed/NLM, but the abstract of the paper was confusing. Not even as good a source as Mayo Clinic, honestly. But it still seems fairly reputable. ... Still, that was about how sucralose affects someone taking glucose, so it's not clear to me that we know how it affects people who are NOT taking glucose.
**Notice that real scientists never say obesity causes any of these things. We don't know that it does. Correlation is very different from causation. It could be that there's some third variable, like gut bacteria or something, that causes both obesity and heart disease.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #216  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
There is quite a list if you google signs of Ketosis
I have and don't seem to have any of them!!!!! That's why I was wondering. Is the absence of ketosis signs and indication of not being in ketosis? Or doesn't it matter.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #217  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
I have and don't seem to have any of them!!!!! That's why I was wondering. Is the absence of ketosis signs and indication of not being in ketosis? Or doesn't it matter.
Looking at other replies to the ketosis question apparently a blood test is the only true accurate way to test. Also, the body does adapt to ketosis after awhile and signs lessen / disappear all together.

Quote:
Had a great weigh in today! Lost 10 lbs since last Monday
yay fos

Quote:
I... I... I found a WRINKLE in my favorite pair of jeans this weekend.

*sniff* It was such an emotional NSV moment for me, realizing that they no longer fit me like a sausage skin about to burst. I can do this!
So feel you Tigridia!!! Starting to remember NSV's are sometimes better than seeing it on a scale

Quote:
And since the whole point of this diet is to retrain the pancreas (OK and also to lose weight), that would seem counterproductive.

I guess I'm saying I've decided the artificial sweeteners are the lesser of the evils, for now. I look forward to a day when I can eat real food, without all the sucralose, but until then, it helps me stay compliant with the protocol.

I respect those of you who are working harder to avoid the artificial sweeteners, though. More power to you! You've got to do what's best for YOU, y'know?
What ever works for YOU! I wonder the same though Magpie - again, I don't claim to be 'perfect'. I have a sweet tooth...the shakes I supplement with 2 / 3 days a week have AS and so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects.
As I was already limited with the soy issue, it just made sense to try and do as much 'real' food as possible. That said, I am still using a protein powder with some soy - but I limit use. I love the peanut butter protein pancakes I made - but I paid for making them twice in a week (the protein powder has soy).
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #218  
Creating my future today

S/C/G: 183/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

You got it, hysteria! I've been doing pretty well thus far, and even though I'm not dropping a ton of weight (I'm *really* bad about water, working on that), I'm definitely shrinking, so what is going must be fat. I feel better as well; sharper somehow. Not sure if it's ketosis or a mild allergy to something (sugar? dairy?) Will have to add things back in slowly when I phase off to see what has been causing the mental fog.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #219  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigridia View Post
You got it, hysteria! I've been doing pretty well thus far, and even though I'm not dropping a ton of weight (I'm *really* bad about water, working on that), I'm definitely shrinking, so what is going must be fat. I feel better as well; sharper somehow. Not sure if it's ketosis or a mild allergy to something (sugar? dairy?) Will have to add things back in slowly when I phase off to see what has been causing the mental fog.
Need a "thumbs up" icon

No complaints on the scale moving - been very fortunate.

I hear ya on the "fog" too - I used to crash, hard in the afternoons - almost every day towards December / January when my eating was at it's worst. Feeling pretty good most days now - a little sleepy today, but I chalk that up to good ol' East Coast DST
Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hello IPeeps! I haven't checked in for a few days. I have kept up with everyone's posts though, so I'm all caught up I weigh in tonight! I'm looking forward to it, I don't think I'll have a huge loss, but that's alright. I've had pretty big losses every week so far, so I'm expecting it might slow down a bit.

The weather here has been amazing this weekend/beginning of the week! Clear, sunny skies, 60's...I don't feel like it's winter in Montana, that's for sure. Maybe winter is over for us! We do need a little more moisture though, or it will be a tough fire season.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone! Seems a little slow here today, so I figured I might as well be the first one to post today!

Hope everyone is doing well. Daylight savings time is making me sleepy, I don't like having to get up earlier. I do like that it is staying light longer though, I love going home in daylight rather than in the dark. I still can't get over how nice it is! It's supposed to be 75 this weekend.

No big plans for this week, I have a fundraiser dinner to go to on Friday. I'm hoping there is something I can eat, but I'm sure there will be. I will just be prepared and make sure I've already gotten all of my packets in, so I'm not starving when I go!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #222  

I'm sleepy, too, LegalEagle14! I hope there are good veggies and proteins at the event!

For my part, I'm achy after a longish walk on Sunday and a shorter walk yesterday; I hate how out of shape I've become. But, hey, that's why I'm doing this whole thing--lose weight so I can get in shape!

I've had a good, productive day, today. The decaf coffee had the desired effect (convincing me I was having a second "real" coffee, so I'd be more awake).
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #223  

Hey folks - busy & kinda stressful day today. I've started going back to the gym - walking on the treadmill at a fairly leisurely pace (3.6) - read "Orphan Train" while doing it (great book!). Had to do the elliptical today - oof! Goodness am I out of shape lol - I really wasn't pushing it and my HR was 160+ - felt good though
Also trying to plank 5 minutes spaced throughout the day.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #224  

The elliptical always gets my heart rate way up!

(Look, I got my signature block today! Yay!)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #225  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_magpie View Post
The elliptical always gets my heart rate way up!

(Look, I got my signature block today! Yay!)
Lol - I gave up! I do most of my posting from my mobile and maybe its Safari (?) or just me but I couldn't figure out how to update and load a new ticker

Hope everyone had a great day - looks like we had some good losses this week
Closed Thread