Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #61  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Well I've been on P1 for a couple of weeks, after phasing off to change things up a bit. The scale has started to SLOWLY move down, which tickles me pink. I can ALMOST feel the 150's I have my first dressage show in about 5 years this weekend. I feel so much more confident & able riding compared to when I was 40+ lbs heavier. I appreciate this thread and the wealth of knowledge I find here with you ladies of a certain age Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
HI everyone. I've not been visiting this thread for a while, but thought I'd drop in today to see what was happening.

Delgen - Your experience sounds much like mine. Reached goal, was fine for a while, then allowed more sugar/carby things into my eating and the cravings came back... with resulting weight gain. I've re-started several times, and have been having a tough time staying committed, despite getting into 10+ days of successful P1 eating a couple of times and being in ketosis. As I reflect back these past few months when I've been actively trying to get re-started, I realize the situations that have tempted me are always related to social events ... not feeling comfortable declining what someone has made for a meal, when they obviously think that they have prepared a good low cal/low fat option, and don't realize it is still carb-laden and not good for my diet. Rather than run the risk of hurting their feelings, I eat a small portion ... and then my disappointment with myself results in my staying off my dieting for a few days - or weeks. And I gain another couple of pounds. I'm realizing that all of the time I was successfully dieting on IP last year/early this year, I didn't have social eating interactions that made me feel awkward...my 'away from home' eating experiences only involved totally supportive family members or friends. So strangely enough, I never found myself in that situation, even though I was dieting for the better part of a year.

I'm re-starting again today. And I also have committed in my mind to staying firmly 100% on a P1-style eating program for a minimum of 21 days. I have a business meeting coming up next Tues or Wedn which I will definitely need to plan for ... these are people who have just come into my life work-wise this year, and won't be familiar with my dieting habits. But I'm determined not to succumb to what I now realize has become a pattern.

Yep! This is a familiar pattern for me too. Carbs are killers, and they snuck up on me. Actually, I think I snuck up on them!!

The social things are the most difficult things to face. But I think you are right. Planning. Eat something before you go. The first time around I did so well, did not cheat a single time. Now I find it hard to get started. And then when I lose a few pounds, I call it good and then gain it all back.
Not following the plan. It is simple as that.

Plan is NOT a four letter word, people!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #63  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
Since I was on IP last year I have gained 20 pounds back (Boo Hoo) and find that if I am not "on something" I gain. Maintenance feels like I am "off something". So I am on day 2 again of phase 1. So far so good. Not too hungry. Nice thing is I know the first 4 days will be difficult, but then it is easy. Sounds crazy going into the holidays on IP, but I just cannot stand it any more.
This is the best part of the program for me. I feel that if I am here with you all, new and old friends, I am more motivated and relaxed.
So thank you all. You are awesome. Thanks for being here for me 24-7!
I can sympathize Cindy. I did well until I started working and DH went back to Michigan. I got a grip and went on P1 and lost it. Then DH came home, I didn't phase off completely correct and then I cooked things special for him and had a little too much here and there and it's creeping back. I am up in Michigan with him now and am without any of my IP products. I don't want to order more, especially since I'm not sure how long we're here and they might arrive after we're gone. I guess I'll just try to make sure I don't gain more. Besides, DH is the heaviest he has ever been, but that's good for him as was always super skinny, so he won't cry if we eat pretty much like P1. I am just so glad P1 is always there.

Hang in there. We'll make it. Thanks for all being there on the forum.

Molly
Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
I can sympathize Cindy. I did well until I started working and DH went back to Michigan. I got a grip and went on P1 and lost it. Then DH came home, I didn't phase off completely correct and then I cooked things special for him and had a little too much here and there and it's creeping back. I am up in Michigan with him now and am without any of my IP products. I don't want to order more, especially since I'm not sure how long we're here and they might arrive after we're gone. I guess I'll just try to make sure I don't gain more. Besides, DH is the heaviest he has ever been, but that's good for him as was always super skinny, so he won't cry if we eat pretty much like P1. I am just so glad P1 is always there.

Hang in there. We'll make it. Thanks for all being there on the forum.

Molly
Thanks Molly~! Stick with us!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Cindy, our stats are so similiar. Started almost exactly the same weight, made it to the same goal. I instantly gained 5 pounds on phase 3 although I choose non wheat options. I could not get that off, even going back to phase 1. That was in June 2012, put me at 135. The good part is that I maintained that till Christmas without too much trouble. So that seems to be a weight my body is comfortable with. So that is my new goal. But Christmas, Canadian winter, then Canadian summer with wonderful long vacation back home on the easycoast put on 15 more. Oh dear. So I am back at it only the time I am following Higher (good) Fat/Low Carb method. I am down to 144 now and am satisfied with it going off more slowly. I don't really want to go into ketosis this time as I thought I would chew an arm off in hunger when I come out of it in phasing off IP. I will be happy to get to 140 by Christmas, then 135 by the time I go back east next summer. But what I did learn is I need to get any regain off immediately and not let it get to be more than 2-3 pounds.
I hope everyone is doing well.

Pat
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #66  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Hi Cindy, our stats are so similiar. Started almost exactly the same weight, made it to the same goal. I instantly gained 5 pounds on phase 3 although I choose non wheat options. I could not get that off, even going back to phase 1. That was in June 2012, put me at 135. The good part is that I maintained that till Christmas without too much trouble. So that seems to be a weight my body is comfortable with. So that is my new goal. But Christmas, Canadian winter, then Canadian summer with wonderful long vacation back home on the easycoast put on 15 more. Oh dear. So I am back at it only the time I am following Higher (good) Fat/Low Carb method. I am down to 144 now and am satisfied with it going off more slowly. I don't really want to go into ketosis this time as I thought I would chew an arm off in hunger when I come out of it in phasing off IP. I will be happy to get to 140 by Christmas, then 135 by the time I go back east next summer. But what I did learn is I need to get any regain off immediately and not let it get to be more than 2-3 pounds.

Pat
Hi Pat,

Can you share the Higher Fat/Low Carb method? Is it published somewhere? I was not happy with going in and out of ketosis this time a few weeks ago. I was able to take off the weight and inches I wanted, but they did not stay off (but then I wasn't real good, either). I would try P1 again, but I do not have the items. Just some thoughts on how to approach correcting what I've messed up. Gee, if I could only get this nasty stress out of my life. LOL.

Molly
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #67  

Hi Molly, I can't testify that this is the way to go but I'm giving it a shot. As I said I just hate coming out of ketosis, seems to be a shock to my body. I first read about HFLC in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. A good site to check it all out is dietdoctor.com

I didn't want to go super low everything again because I am doing Richard Simmons latest exercise plan. I didn't want to give that up. I am not sure how effective that is either as is is pretty easy.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 10-25-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 185/139.5/145

Height: 5' 4"

Hi all,what a great thread! I am 53 and after my birthday this year I decided IP was my gift to myself. The cost is a bit overwhelming but 8 weeks in and 22 pounds down I am feeling great. I appreciate all the suggestions and the success stories particularly those who are using alternatives as that may be my route shortly. I have noticed my hot flashes and night sweats have diminished as well so hoping that gets better too! Was freezing my husband out of the bedroom,lol. So many times I did WW, and all the others with limited success but now seeing my new body and better blood sugar numbers, bp and less menopausal symptoms I am all in!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #69  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Hi Pat,

Can you share the Higher Fat/Low Carb method? Is it published somewhere? I was not happy with going in and out of ketosis this time a few weeks ago. I was able to take off the weight and inches I wanted, but they did not stay off (but then I wasn't real good, either). I would try P1 again, but I do not have the items. Just some thoughts on how to approach correcting what I've messed up. Gee, if I could only get this nasty stress out of my life. LOL.

Molly
Quote:
Hi Molly, I can't testify that this is the way to go but I'm giving it a shot. As I said I just hate coming out of ketosis, seems to be a shock to my body. I first read about HFLC in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. A good site to check it all out is dietdoctor.com

I didn't want to go super low everything again because I am doing Richard Simmons latest exercise plan. I didn't want to give that up. I am not sure how effective that is either as is is pretty easy.

Pat
Hi Patns & Molly,

I've just bought The New Atkins for a New You which is co-authored by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek who wrote The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. It intriques me, and I'm somewhat torn between doing a 'firm' IP-style P1 or trying their version of a low carb diet this time around. For the next few days I'm just committed to staying P1ish and getting myself disciplined again... you both know how that goes.
Have also ordered The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, and am looking forward to receiving it.

Exercise-wise, I'm still enjoying my 'Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansome' programs. Some of them combine the use of small hand weights while steadily walking - it's fun and I definitely do feel like I've had a workout after 30 minutes or so - but in a 'lower key' way. The time flies by.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #70  

Fwiw
I did Atkins prior to IP and found it extremely difficult to retun to. Too many loopholes for me!

I needed the stricter rules of IP. But that's just me. We are all so different.
Maybe after doing IP, I can make stricter rules for myself for a LCHF plan (which I truly believe from my reading is healthier in the long run)

Foods so far that are problematic for me: quest bars (I seem to always crave more), nuts, and, of course anything "carby" (haven't given myself the opportunity yet). I imagine cheese may also be something I'll have to significantly restrict (thinking maybe only "out" and not at home).

Right now I'm sticking mostly to p2-3 eating, with an occasional treat (drink with friends, couple bites of side DH had with his dinner that day), it's just easier than having a "day". If weight maintains then I'm all good. Of course, those are planned on a single day. This is what I'm learning from IP that I never really learned before (not that Atkins didnt try to, teach me, but I didn't LEARN!)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #71  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Fwiw
I did Atkins prior to IP and found it extremely difficult to retun to. Too many loopholes for me!

Maybe after doing IP, I can make stricter rules for myself for a LCHF plan (which I truly believe from my reading is healthier in the long run)

Foods so far that are problematic for me: quest bars (I seem to always crave more), nuts, and, of course anything "carby" (haven't given myself the opportunity yet). I imagine cheese may also be something I'll have to significantly restrict (thinking maybe only "out" and not at home).

Right now I'm sticking mostly to p2-3 eating, with an occasional treat (drink with friends, couple bites of side DH had with his dinner that day), it's just easier than having a "day". If weight maintains then I'm all good. Of course, those are planned on a single day. This is what I'm learning from IP that I never really learned before (not that Atkins didnt try to, teach me, but I didn't LEARN!)
Lisa,

I also am appreciating the stricter rules of IP. I was a guest speaker at a recent weight loss event and shared that from my point of view, I see the stricter rules as a form of liberation instead of a prison. Those stricter rules have helped me find my weight to freedom from:

* the challenge of lugging around an extra 100 pounds or so (Everytime I carry two 30 pound containers of cat litter to the basement and complain about their weight, I think about what I have lost!)
* dangerously high blood pressure
* the reality of looking to move into a one level house because my knees and ankles could not manage stairs
* having to use a lap belt extender when flying
* shopping exclusively in plus size stores. There are none of these in the town where I live. Clothes shopping always meant a trip to the city. And at that, shopping for clothes was never a fun thing to do. Nothing fit right!
* etc, etc, etc.

I also have had to embrace the fact that there are some foods I will never be able to return to: cheddar cheese and popcorn are two foods in particular for which I have no red light.

40+ years of struggling (I remember being sent to the doctor's clinic every Thursday for a weigh in when I was 12 because of medical concerns about my weight), and I have finally surrendered to the fact that there are somethings for which I must say 'no.'. With weight loss and regained health in hand, I honestly do feel a form of liberation in this.

Annik

Last edited by Annik; 10-26-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #72  

Good word there.

Surrender.

That is what the strict rules are for me.

It is also how I stayed 100 P1 for so long (and got scared to do anything else). I had so fully surrendered to this plan b/c anything else was making me fatter, sicker, and more miserable.

If I could bottle and sell that mindset, I'd be one wealthy woman!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #73  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Good word there.

Surrender.

If I could bottle and sell that mindset, I'd be one wealthy woman!
Big smile on my face right now! Does that ever resonate!

I could write a book about how I have struggled with that word in so many parts of my life.

I used to think it was a word for 'losers'!!!!

That was hubris on my part is all I can say now.

Surrender and I have made peace. We are now very good friends and I love her.

Annik!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Fwiw

I'm right there with you Lisa,

I tried Atkins, Nutrisystem, Southbeach and all of them gave me a couple lbs but I didn't learn. With this it was instantly a life change for me don't know why. But I make things that feed my gravings and make me feel like I'm eating real food. Like just now for lunch I had a cheeseburger.....yup made the Tomato Basil bread, had 4 oz 93% lean beef and a slice of Veggie cheese, added onions, pickles and mustard and tasted just like a real burger one of my all time favorite foods. Other then adding things like Veggie cheese and Veggie Pepperoni’s I have been 100% OP. I've had temptation but not really OMG strong ones. I try to have something as close to my craving as possible but stay OP. It works for me. My honey laughed at me the other day when I woke up I had dreamt that I cheated, for a moment when I woke up I had to think was that real or a dream......very Relieved it was a dream... This is my new life rarely get acid reflux anymore which I had so bad before the doc's kept trying to get me to take 3 prescription pills a day. I LOVE THIS IP WORLD !!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #75  

Just a side note to Molly if she comes back. I got sidetracked this week with low carb baking. Found out that is not going to work! I made low carb cranberry cookies, the recipe said you couldn't tell the difference from high carb cookies. Well my body agreed with that, instant 2 pound gain.

What works best for me in the long run is phase 2, with occasional regular days for social occasions but these can't be more than maybe twice a month.
For the higher fat I personally seem to need, I put a splash of real cream in my 2 cups of coffee a day.

I know this is not the maintenance thread but am posting here because over 50 is a different world for weight loss. In maintenance I continue to struggle with 10 pounds but have come to realize that the general public is monitoring 10 pounds all the time too, so a close watch is always necessary. What I have slipped up on it the routine of eating a set number of times a day, with basic foods each time. I am a nibbler by nature and nibbles add up way quicker that we think. The thing I need to get rid of is nuts. A small amount of those really add up.
Closed Thread