Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #256  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I feel like Elmer Fudd saying "Shhh! Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I'm huntin' wabbits..."

HELLLLLOOOOO!!!! Where IS everyone?!? LOL - very quiet threads this weekend. Was there a party you all are at and no one invited me??
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 255/196/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Two questions:
1) Does anyone use salsa instead their 'tomato' allowance? or is it a no-no as it has onions? (or what reason??)

2) How do people keep lettuce etc. from wilting. I think I have a bum fridge. My "crisper" top has broken, so my crisper trays just sit in the bottom of the fridge with no lid. Celery, lettuce etc is wilty within a very short time.
I'm around! Late boring night at work leads me here!

I use salsa as my tomato allowance. I make my own and the onions are raw. However, I have a favorite brand of salsa "Green Mtn Gringo" (if anyone else has heard of it) and when I started IP I emailed them to ask how they prepare the salsa and if I could still eat it with the onions. They combine all the ingredients raw and then pressure cook the mixture to preserve. Since the onions are not caramelized I deemed it IP approved in limited amounts

I wash all my lettuce, wrap it up in paper towels and store in a ziploc baggie. I go through lettuce quick, so I don't know exactly how long it will last, maybe a week?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #258  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
Your vacations always sound so nice! I need to plan one soon.
Vacations are good for the soul. Honestly, I almost wished I could cancel this trip before we got here since it was such bad timing for a lot of reasons, but I'm glad my DH twisted my arm and forced me to come. Getting away has definitely helped me regain some perspective, and I almost feel ready to go home and face getting ready for a big move. I've been in the same home for the last 18+ years so this is going to be a major change.

Quote:
Two questions:
1) Does anyone use salsa instead their 'tomato' allowance? or is it a no-no as it has onions? (or what reason??)

2) How do people keep lettuce etc. from wilting. I think I have a bum fridge. My "crisper" top has broken, so my crisper trays just sit in the bottom of the fridge with no lid. Celery, lettuce etc is wilty within a very short time.
1. I do this on occasion. There's no reason you need to avoid onions unless they're been caramelized (and they're not even cooked in salsa). Enjoy! (with the caveat that you should check the ingredients if you use pre-made salsa).

2. I usually just put lettuce in a plastic container. If I make salad and want to keep leftovers, I make sure not to put vinegar or dressing on it prior to storing.

Hope this helps! (And yes, it is very quiet!! I finally got a few minutes to sit down and catch up a bit and it seems like everyone must be out on date night!)
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #259  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Two questions:

1)I haven't used salsa. I didn't even look because so many canned tomatoes things have sugar in them. I only recently started to use canned tomatoes again to roast beef. I found a hunts brand that doesn't have sugar. The tomatoes make the beef so tender. I just scrape them off after and eat the meat. I think there is a homemade IP salsa recipe in the threads.

2)I keep my veggies in tupperware ish containers. The lettuce stays good for days in or out of the crispers. I have it all pre ripped so salads are quick.

Quote:
I feel like Elmer Fudd saying "Shhh! Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I'm huntin' wabbits..."

HELLLLLOOOOO!!!! Where IS everyone?!? LOL - very quiet threads this weekend. Was there a party you all are at and no one invited me??
Maybe everyone has the Family Day weekend. I know we travelled two provinces over for the weekend. I thought you were going away too?! I was just checking in to make sure everyone was doing okay from yesterday.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #260  

Quote:
Two questions:

I use my Tupperware fridge smart containers. I wuv em - they keep fresh fruit and veggies fresh wayyyyy longer. And no I don't sell Tupperware. I just have all my retirement money invested in Tupperware though!

Quote:

I'm here!!!! In bed with a sore throat and tummy ache. The shits and giggles aren't very funny tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl306 View Post
1)I haven't used salsa. I didn't even look because so many canned tomatoes things have sugar in them. I only recently started to use canned tomatoes again to roast beef. I found a hunts brand that doesn't have sugar. The tomatoes make the beef so tender. I just scrape them off after and eat the meat. I think there is a homemade IP salsa recipe in the threads.

2)I keep my veggies in tupperware ish containers. The lettuce stays good for days in or out of the crispers. I have it all pre ripped so salads are quick.

Maybe everyone has the Family Day weekend. I know we travelled two provinces over for the weekend. I thought you were going away too?! I was just checking in to make sure everyone was doing okay from yesterday.

HI NEIGHBOUR!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #261  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post

I'm here!!!! In bed with a sore throat and tummy ache. The shits and giggles aren't very funny tonight...
Okay--not happy you're feelin' blue, but that did make me laugh. Feel better. Sending healing germ free hugs your way
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #262  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

I get the fresh salsa from the produce section, usually by the Veggie Shreds, bagged lettuces, etc.

The ingredients are tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, jalapenos, and cilantro.

Everything is raw and chopped. Once you try that, you'll never go back to jarred salsa!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #263  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to have to make a taco salad today after all this talk of salsa!

Mompattie- hope you feel better
Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #264  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I get the fresh salsa from the produce section, usually by the Veggie Shreds, bagged lettuces, etc.

The ingredients are tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, jalapenos, and cilantro.

Everything is raw and chopped. Once you try that, you'll never go back to jarred salsa!
It's pretty easy to buy those ingredients and whip up in the food processor. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I'm going to have to make a taco salad today after all this talk of salsa
I prefer it to the Big Mac salad. I think this plan makes me crave more flavor. I makes my own taco seasoning to spice up the meat. The only thing missing is some cheese & guac. That'll wait til maintenance. Until then, I'm using the asparagus guac recipe I posted.

Yestday I made a BUNCH of boneless hot "wings". That'll be on my salad tonite with cukes, onions, and bell peppers. (If I'm cookin' I'm making several meals worth!)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #265  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Taco salad sounds good, love that! I have yet to make the Big Mac in a bowl, but I am sure I will love that too! Lately I have been obsessed with curry-like dishes - I have posted my chicken curry soup with rutabagus recipe and I also add curry powder to my cauliflower-IP leek soup mix. Tonight though is going to be 2 cups of chopped portabello mushroom added to the IP mushroom soup mix and either a bar or pancake for snack.

I find that my tastes have really changed while being on this diet. Some of the things I ate all the time in the beginning really do not appeal to me any more. This week at the clinic I am going to trade an unopened box of the chili for a box of the leek soup. I really like the leek soup. In fact along with rutabagus, leek has become a real favorite vegetable also, as something to add to soups in place of the onion that I would have put in a year ago. I am also really learning to love mushrooms and I love cucumber slices sprinkled with Old Bay.

Yesterday afternoon I felt kind of hungry, so I went out window shopping and then had my snack in late afternoon instead of after dinner. I made the chocolate drink and heated it up with WF caramel and some Torani sugar free peanut butter flavoring. I drank half of it like that and then I added some decaf coffee to make it last longer. I was fine after that.

Last week I had a whoosh and lost 4 pounds but now my scale is up higher than it was when I weighed in last week, so I think it was kind of a false whoosh. I am 100% so I know it is not anything I ate - but - I did accidentally add too much salt to my soup on Friday. So, I might be retaining a little water.

BRRRR, so cold today! I bought the QVC special of the day today, which is a Vitamixer, so I will be shedding my old blender and Ninja thing. I am also getting rid of my dehydrator because it is taking up too much room in my kitchen for the amount of use I put it to, I generally just bake my chips/fries on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil. One of my sorority sisters said she wanted the Ninja thing and the dehydrator, so they are going to a good home. She is a Paleo diet person, so I'm sure she will find both useful. The blender is pretty old so I am just donating it to the thrift store.

One of my friends suggested for Lent that you take a challenge to get rid of one bag of clutter per day - I decided to do that, since I have pretty much given up every food that I have ever given up for Lent on this diet already. Clutter is a constant challenge, I think I need to keep going with that one even after Lent is over, LOL!

Have a great day today!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #266  

A LOT of people here use dehydrators for making chips. You may want to rethink that one. I've been looking for a used one.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #267  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Hi All, I'm reading the threads as a distraction right now from something I should be doing. And they are making me hungry for good things like salsa and zucchini chips. I have a few zucchinis in the fridge so I think I'll get them ready to go in the dehydrator overnight. Today for dinner I bought green beans so the salsa will have to wait.

I understand about the kitchen gadgets as I've accumalated the dehydrator and actifry since going on IP. But equally I'm trying to clean house. Today I'm heading to a friends and giving her my bread maker. I haven't used it in years since going gluten free. I've tried gluten free bread in it before but it doesn't work as well and if I go paleo in future, there is really no reason to keep it. I can't quite come to grips with losing the ice cream maker yet but maybe that will be next. I used to use it a lot for frozen yogurt or healthy low sugar ice creams so even though I haven't had need for it in the past year, it could be of value still in future.

Last fall I started a pile in my basement to go to the thrift store including clothes and other household giveaways. I try to add to it every week with a book I've finished, another pair of pants that don't fit or a knick knack that I see and think I just don't like that anymore. It has grown to a HUGE pile so a couple weeks ago I finally decided I had to take a load to the thrift store every couple of weeks. It won't all fit in one car anyway but it is easier for them to handle smaller loads at a time. I use the Mennonite Central Committee store for all my giveaways.

Better get back to the grind. Talk to you on my next break!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #268  
Started IP 7/9/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I prefer it to the Big Mac salad. I think this plan makes me crave more flavor. I makes my own taco seasoning to spice up the meat. The only thing missing is some cheese & guac. That'll wait til maintenance. Until then, I'm using the asparagus guac recipe I posted.

Yestday I made a BUNCH of boneless hot "wings". That'll be on my salad tonite with cukes, onions, and bell peppers. (If I'm cookin' I'm making several meals worth!)
The hot wing salad sounds good too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Last week I had a whoosh and lost 4 pounds but now my scale is up higher than it was when I weighed in last week, so I think it was kind of a false whoosh. I am 100% so I know it is not anything I ate - but - I did accidentally add too much salt to my soup on Friday. So, I might be retaining a little water.
You gotta love those whooshes, especially considering you're at a total of 76 lbs lost! Who cares if that scale is trying to mess with you by going up a little since then.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #269  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

i posted this in the daily but had to hate here too. I had a great day yesterday, went out for a nice day in the city with my husband, it was fun and romantic, everything we wanted but on top of that I felt great and looked great to me, I spent to whole day in heals and bought a new pair that were on sale (I did not even own any pre-IP) it was the first time I really felt smaller and sexier ( having my husband unable to keep his hands off helps that ) I think it was because there were so many accomplishments I made diet wise this week, a total of 80lbs lost and under 200lbs and all that with work kicking my a**

Last edited by MonicaKolesnik; 02-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #270  
Started IP 7/9/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaKolesnik View Post
i posted this in the daily but had to hate here too. I had a great day yesterday, went out for a nice day in the city with my husband, it was fun and romantic, everything we wanted but on top of that I felt great and looked great to me, I spent to whole day in heals and bought a new pair that were on sale (I did not even own any pre-IP) it was the first time I really felt smaller and sexier ( having my husband unable to keep his hands off helps that ) I think it was because there were so many accomplishments I made diet wise this week, a total of 80lbs lost and under 200lbs and all that with work kicking my a**
Sounds like a perfect day.
Closed Thread