3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Friday 6/22/12 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261497-ip-daily-chat-friday-6-22-12-a.html)

NewPath 06-22-2012 07:13 PM

Cheesy Omelets

I have been eating around 5 or 6 Cheesy Omelets a week. They are just so easy to make ahead of time, and throw on your vegetables and salad for lunch. I feel like my weight loss is slowing.......could this be a reason? If I remember right, they have more carbs than other protein packets.
Also, since being home for the summer, my ketones hardly register at all......I am freaking out a little.

usmcvet 06-22-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy (Post 4380763)
How does she think you get a hard boiled egg??? Uhmmm, its cooked too!

She is wrong, wrong, wrong...So either she doesnt know what shes talking about, or...you are misunderstanding what she is saying, or its another issue, like you are having the omelet off plan???

Eggs are listed on our sheet as a protein choice...you can cook them any way you want...

Its funny, I havent been around here a long time but have sure heard a lot of stories like this about coaches...you have a responsibility to yourself to stand up to the stupidity and question your coach on nonsense statements like this...I would have never left the clinic without clearing this up...Have her show you some documentation, and have her explain how hard boiled eggs cook lol

Just don't cook it in butter. Or bacon grease.:dizzy:

Longhorn Energy 06-22-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikie (Post 4380769)
Ehhh, no, I did not have my omelet off plan. It was a 2-egg omelet with a tiny bit (1-2oz) of chicken breast to bump up the protein value, some zucchini/green peppers/green onions/garlic and spices. I ate it as my dinner. I tried to find something about that on Google but I couldn't. I'm still going to try a yolk-free week or two, if I don't see any difference I won't bother and I'll have my omelets. Could it have something to do with the fact that the yolk doesn't "spill" or see air during the cooking process of hard-boiled eggs? Random wild theory :dizzy: She is very knowledgeable, I don't know where she pulled that one from.

You ate it exactly as in the plan then, so she is just wrong, no two ways about it...What you did, you could do each and every night and be considered 100% OP...

Here is something copied from the Livestrong site, but a simple Google search will give you hundreds of documents saying essentially the same thing...It does not matter HOW you cook an egg, the nutritional values do not change. The ONLY difference comes from what you add to cook it, example if you put a spoonfull of butter in the pan, that would of course affect it.

Here is what I copied for you:

Photo Credit cooked egg image by AGphotographer from Fotolia.com Eggs contain certain amounts of constituent nutrients, which remain virtually the same regardless of how you cook them. Whether boiled, poached or scrambled without added ingredients, eggs have essentially the same nutritional value. Keep in mind, however, that adding ingredients to eggs during preparation or frying them in fat affects the nutrient profile of the final dish.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/42...#ixzz1yZDlm42H

Longhorn Energy 06-22-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPath (Post 4380772)
I have been eating around 5 or 6 Cheesy Omelets a week. They are just so easy to make ahead of time, and throw on your vegetables and salad for lunch. I feel like my weight loss is slowing.......could this be a reason? If I remember right, they have more carbs than other protein packets.
Also, since being home for the summer, my ketones hardly register at all......I am freaking out a little.

No, this is not an issue...The Herb and Cheese Omelet have the same carbs as the crispy cereal...Neither are restricted, so it has nothing to do with eggs...

usmcvet 06-22-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPath (Post 4380772)

I have the herb and cheese omelet almost every day and have since week two when I placed my own order. It helps me get my veggies in. Close to two cups most mornings. Mushrooms and green peppers. I've lost 93 pounds in twelve weeks.

Longhorn Energy 06-22-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcvet (Post 4380791)
I have the herb and cheese omelet almost every day and have since week two when I placed my own order. It helps me get my veggies in. Close to two cups most mornings. Mushrooms and green peppers. I've lost 93 pounds in twelve weeks.

Same here...Started end of April, and with the exception of 2 mornings, I have had it every single day...1 cup of mushrooms and 1 cup of spinach then I dont have to worry about veggies at lunch.

I havent lost 93 pounds though lol...Might have to try it with the green peppers, that sounds good too!

Kikie 06-22-2012 07:40 PM

I found something about the egg debate.

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com...#axzz1yZHPDhDr

Essentially, cooking a yolk while it comes in contact with air creates oxidized cholesterol. While our blood vessels don't have receptors for cholesterol (a natural mechanism to stop our bodies from collecting too much cholesterol) they DO have receptors for oxidized cholesterol. So, while unoxidized cholesterol goes mainly to be excreted right away, oxidized cholesterol stays in the body, clogging up arteries and adding weight.

Worst way to eat eggs: scrambled and omelet. Best ways: raw, soft or hard-boiled, sunny side up.

If this is true, I just learned something huge!

P.S. My coach said this does NOT apply to IP cheese/plain omelet. They are designed to avoid this issue.

cscape 06-22-2012 07:41 PM

Weighing in

So..this was WI #1 and I lost 6lb. I was a little disappointed because when I weighed myself after awakening I was down 7.5lb (using my scale both on start date and today's). I had the Peach mango drink and a couple of glasses of water. ..skipped the coffee. Two hours later , at the center there was only a 6 lb loss. I know I should be happy with the 6 lb, but I really thought that by being 100%OP, I would get great results.
I am not quitting...I've got myself geared up to see this thru, thanks to all of your posts and success stories.

Also wondering if others had constipation issues in Phase 1 and what was helpful? I used to take probiotics, but my coach said there were too many carbs in them to continue

Ques # 2..I am having trouble keeping track of the topics and responses in this chat. I'm only on my PC an hr or so a day..how do I follow-up on what I may have asked?

cscape 06-22-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikie (Post 4380800)

Essentially, cooking a yolk while it comes in contact with air creates oxidized cholesterol. While our blood vessels don't have receptors for cholesterol (a natural mechanism to stop our bodies from collecting too much cholesterol) they DO have receptors for oxidized cholesterol. So, while unoxidized cholesterol goes mainly to be excreted right away, oxidized cholesterol stays in the body, clogging up arteries and adding weight.

Worst way to eat eggs: Scrambled. Best ways: raw, soft or hard-boiled, sunny side up.

Very, very interesting. So glad you researched this further

Longhorn Energy 06-22-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikie (Post 4380800)

Worst way to eat eggs: scrambled and omelet. Best ways: raw, soft or hard-boiled, sunny side up.

P.S. My coach said this does NOT apply to IP cheese/plain omelet. They are designed to avoid this issue.

Oh ya...the 'Underground Health Reporter'...very highly respected site and information...The nutrionists and scientists at Livestrong and the medical field in general always double check their data there...

;)Yes...I am trying to be funny...seriously, if you think eggs are an issue, dont eat them...You can find any data you want supporting anything you want on the internet...Its what you trust that matters...

Kikie 06-22-2012 08:00 PM

I know, I'm not taking their words for gold or anything (hence, the IF in my last sentence :)). I'm just saying that's what I found on the subject. It makes sense, but other sites say the opposite and their arguments make sense too. It would be worth some more research eventually. Either way I'm just going to avoid yolks altogether it'll cut the confusion.

These 2 from Livestrong talk about oxidized cholesterol. One says that it accelerates the deposition of cholesterol in arterial beds, the other mentions it as a risk factor in the metabolic syndrome. Either way, it looks bad for the heart... like I said it would be worth researching into it eventually, I'm a naturally curious person :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/57065-oxidized-ldl/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...d-cholesterol/

One more link, I find this subject really interesting. It explains what oxidized LDL (bad cholesterol) is. Not so much to do with weight loss anymore, but good to keep in mind. It's from a site that is reviewd by medical experts. My own medical knowledge tells me it makes at least some sense. Enjoy! http://cholesterol.about.com/od/lipo...xidizedldl.htm

Longhorn Energy 06-22-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikie (Post 4380822)
I know, I'm not taking their words for gold or anything (hence, the IF in my last sentence :)). I'm just saying that's what I found on the subject. It makes sense, but other sites say the opposite and their arguments make sense too. It would be worth some more research eventually. Either way I'm just going to avoid yolks altogether it'll cut the confusion.

These 2 from Livestrong talk about oxidized cholesterol. One says that it accelerates the deposition of cholesterol in arterial beds, the other mentions it as a risk factor in the metabolic syndrome. Either way, it looks bad for the heart... like I said it would be worth researching into it eventually, I'm a naturally curious person :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/57065-oxidized-ldl/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...d-cholesterol/

See this is why I keep arguing with people here hahahaha...

Go back to your original question, before you went on this wild, unrelated tangent...

YOU stated, that your coach says that egss cooked any other way than hard boiled converted to fat more than with hard boiled...that is the debate...

There should be ZERO arguement that based on cooking, there is NO nutritional difference...

Now, there is some difference, and the debate goes both ways regarding oxidized cholesterol, but your question was regarding whether or not an omelet would be slowing your losses....Unequivocally the answer is NO the omelet did not slow your losses...

Now...regarding oxidized cholesterol...that debate goes both ways, but the only one that seems in agreement is in the production of powdered eggs due to the pressure of the extraction machinery used to produce powdered eggs...

So, to answer your ORIGINAL question, you ate the omelet on plan, as indicated by our phase 1 sheet, there is no difference in fat or caloric content of an egg based on how you cook it....

And I dont want to start an argument with you lol so I will leave it at that...

Oh, and your coach is still wrong haha...

Kikie 06-22-2012 08:27 PM

Hum, this is not at all about arguing or not... :(

I'm sorry if you're taking it the wrong way that is not my intention. I don't think it has slowed down my loss either, it makes no sense, at least not by more than a few grams. I doubt there would be enough oxidized LDL in my arteries to keep me back 1-2 pounds in a week. That makes her wrong on that point. However when you dig deeper, you go beyond the weight issues and that's when it gets interesting (for me, what can I do, I'm a nurse so I like that stuff, and I saw some people getting involved). I REALLY wanted to clear that up. If I'm posting different links, it is to perhaps open a door that has never been opened for many people. It does seem to be bad for cardiovascular health, and as far as I know we are ALL here to improve our health on some level. Anyone is free to make their choices after.

NewPath 06-22-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcvet (Post 4380791)

YOU ROCK USMCVET!!!!!!! That is just AMAZING!!!!

Beanie Mommy 06-22-2012 09:00 PM

Here's another update on the cats - thanks for all of you who understand how important this is to me. If they are YOUR pets they are family!

Lincoln (9) actually sat in my lap for the first time in 2 years again and we snuggled like we used to. Chloe (6) has finally emerged from the basement and is exploring the house now. It feels like they are getting back to being themselves pretty quickly, and that is very encouraging! They were actually at the shelter for almost a month, and I am so grateful that the wonderful people there kept them together in a "duplex". They were really happy to see them go home to their mommy, and they gave me a "2 for 1" deal on the adoption fee as well as a ton of food and toys. Will save up some money to make a decent donation - right now I'm a bit overwhelmed with vet fees for a tooth extraction for little Chloe, poor baby. Scheduled for three weeks from now to give her a chance to readjust to her new home first.

My 2 year old daughter is thrilled to have the cats back! Maybe a little more excited than the cats... But she is very gentle and respectful of them, so I dont think we will have any problems. She knows them from her father's house, and they will get used to having her around ( a bit louder than mommy) soon.

We celebrated our reunion with some rotisserie chicken, just breast, no skin for me, leg for little one. None for the kitties because they were hiding. Easy cooking as recommended by coach :)

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Kaypix, you are absolutely gorgeous!!! Who wouldn't want to look like that?