Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #316  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Default Great day here.

A little story. As I was packing to leave for Christmas, taking my small suitcase out of the large one, I felt a funny bulge on the inside of the big one. What the. . . ?

It was a ziplock bag with 13 IP packets. OMG. Talk about Christmas presents! I had the first one this morning because . . . because I am celebrating a one pound loss after a 6 day stall. I'll just say this: There are alternatives to IP products, but there are NO substitutes. The taste, the texture, so very much different. And these were at least a year old because I left the states on the 16th of January last year. Over the moon, at least briefly.

Good to see you, Iowa Mom. I hope business has been really brisk. I'd sure like to see an up surge in the real estate market.

Hi SalemSinead, to get started you should get all your ducks in a row and to do that read the IP Nutritional Fact sheet to see what the products look like and the IP Supplements Overview. I believe these are in the 2nd sticky under Ideal Protein Diet -- Phases. And then read about the phases, post number 9. The info is a little dated but the only differences, I think, are that all coloured peppers are allowed, and 8 ounces of meat and fish are required for dinner. The latter is an important difference. I'd send you links but the copies I have are pdfs and I don't know how to attach or link them. Sorry.

The supplements are also VERY important. Try to replicate them as closely as you can. For the potassium, ask the pharmacist. You won't find anything like it on the shelf and you may have to order it and you will probably have to buy the calcium separately. If you have trouble stomaching fish oil, use krill -- but it is a lot more expensive. Buy the very best vitamins and minerals you can, preferably in capsule form since they tend to be higher quality and easier to digest. If you are over 50, get a multivitamin without folate. Too much is poisonous and the older you are, the less you need. And you also get a lot of folate from green vegetables. Also consider adding a B complex, vitamin C and, during the winter, at least 1000 iu Vitamin D.

About the protein isolate. I Googled Amazon.UK and you can get Syntrax Matrix 5.0 with free shipping for Pound 40.54. You get 5 pounds and one serving is 30 grams so this is a bargain. I'll also vouch for the amino acids and other nutrients but you might want to check reviews yourself. It isn't IP but it's as close as you're likely to get. 23 g very high grade whey protein per serving BUT 6 grams of carbs per serving, at least what I can get in Germany. They make products with 2 g, so look around, even call the supplier to make sure what they advertize is what you get. But you can still use the 6 g product and be careful what other carbs you take in. Belgian endive and spinach are good low-carb high nutrition vegetables.

Salads: use Romaine lettuce because it's the only one with good nutrition (and it actually has a taste ). Lettuce is free and STRONGLY advised because this is a LOW FIBER program. Eat it as a salad, just to munch on, to wrap meat and vegetables, etc.

Water: very minimum 1/2 ounce for every pound of body weight up to 240 pounds. About 100 plus ounces a day is best every day, especially at the beginning, so you flush out garbage.

Oil: medium- or long-chain fatty acids, like coconut. olive, and grape seed. DO NOT use stuff like canola, OK? 2 teaspoons minimum and don't go too far over that. You might want to do some research here. A lot of barbaric practitioners, like Dr Michael Edes, Atkins, believe that taking in good fat helps you to burn fat.

Salt: 1/2 t a day of sea salt. Sel de Mer, Celtic, and Himalayan are best tasting except for pink Hawai'ian, but it's hard to get in Europe. You can always visit and bring some back. It's about $3 a pound so worth the visit. In the beginning you will probably need more salt because you're flushing electrolytes as well as other stuff. If you get a headache or feel light headed, this is what is happening. You know your body best and what level of sodium it can tolerate without water retention.

Sleep: Get lots although once you're in ketosis even though you may sleep less for a little while -- all that new energy.

Scale: You'll need a good kitchen scale that measures in both ounces and grams.

Sweetner: Stevia is the only thing I can recommend.

Bases: My interpretation of what is the base line for this program? About 100 g good protein; under 30 real carbs, not net, between 800 and 900 calories a day, 1200-1500 mg sodium, 4,700 mg potassium, 350 mg magnesium, 100-1200 mg calcium; and keep sugar as absolutely low as possible, ALL sugars.

Tracking: If you'd like to track what you eat, and it's a really good idea, you can use cronometer.com or other commercial derivatives of the USDA Nutritional Data Base.

I hope that covers the basics and hope it helps. CarolIrish in the Netherlands (I think) is also doing this in Europe, but I haven't seen her around recently.

Sorry, one last note. Protidiet is also available in Europe, if you want more variety and packets. I didn't get them because I think they're low in protein, some are fairly high carb, BUT they do have fiber. And as I said, variety.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by Linden; 01-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 177/177/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for this fantastic post!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #318  
Start WW 360 Jan 31, 2013

S/C/G: (H255.5)s208.4/c198.2/g175

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning!! I have tried to restart Phase 1 several times since Christmas, but now realize I have to come back on to 3FC and post it so that I will be accountable to myself and for the IP program to work for me like I know it can. I lost 79 pounds following the IP program in 2011, and having everyone's posts on 3FC for support and advice helped make this all possible for me. I have gained 7 pounds back while on maintenance in December, so I have lowered my goal by another 10 pounds, and now have 17 pounds to go to goal. I restarted on January 11, 2012. I have always been so grateful for everyone's posts on 3FC, there is always so much advice and help. I was still reading and lurking but not posting. I have been reading the posts on this thread and also on the experienced and the maintainers threads, thanks everyone for all your great posts, they were so helpful to me to get myself back on track.

Last edited by grannyto2bear; 01-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #319  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

"Diabetics and prediabetics simply don't tolerate carbs in the diet like other people. If you don't tolerate something, you have to give it up, or at least cut way back on it. Lactose-intolerant individuals give up milk and other lactose sources. Celiac disease patients don't tolerate gluten, so they give up wheat and other sources of gluten. One of every five high blood pressure patients can't handle normal levels of salt in the diet; they have to cut back or their pressure's too high. Patients with phenylketonuria don't tolerate phenylalanine and have to restrict foods that contain it. If you're allergic to penicillin, you have to give it up. If you don't tolerate carbs, you have to give them up or cut way back. I'm sorry."

WOW. Literally the most eye opening thing I've read in years. I am insulin resistance. I will never tolerate carbs like other people. Either I buck up and accept it and do what I know is right for my body or I feel sorry for myself and remain on this dangerous gain/lose/gain cycle. Thank you so much for posting this!!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #320  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011weightbegone View Post
Good morning!! I have tried to restart Phase 1 several times since Christmas, but now realize I have to come back on to 3FC and post it so that I will be accountable to myself and for the IP program to work for me like I know it can. I lost 79 pounds following the IP program in 2011, and having everyone's posts on 3FC for support and advice helped make this all possible for me. I have gained 7 pounds back while on maintenance in December, so I have lowered my goal by another 10 pounds, and now have 17 pounds to go to goal. I restarted on January 11, 2012. I have always been so grateful for everyone's posts on 3FC, there is always so much advice and help. I was still reading and lurking but not posting. I have been reading the posts on this thread and also on the experienced and the maintainers threads, thanks everyone for all your great posts, they were so helpful to me to get myself back on track.
Welcome back! You've done so well so far I hope that pattern continues, in spades.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #321  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

good morning peeps and welcome back to those who have recently re-started again.... you have made the first step by coming here and writing (or typing) it down as it holds you accountable!

I am another who just doesn't tolerate carbs and no that for the rest of my life, I will have to limit them or pay the price. I am down 6 lbs this morning from last week... feels so awesome to be in control again.

have a great OP day everyone!

and Linden - I appreciate all of your valuable information more then words can convey... THANK YOU!!

Last edited by Mom3LoveBugs; 01-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/175

Height: 5' 5

I too am restarting... or rather did re-start Jan 2/12. I was on the program last year for 4 months and managed to lose 53 lbs... then quit, cold turkey, never phased off... in the following 7 months I ashamedly gained back 42 of those lbs... I know it was because of the lack of phasing off and follow through... but the past is the past, all I can do is learn from it and move forward.

So here I am, after my first week's weigh in I am down 10 lbs already, also quit smoking Jan 8/12 and am looking forward to following through with it all this time around! 2012 is going to be MY year!!! 80 lbs left to go and I will do it this time!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #323  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3LoveBugs View Post
I am another who just doesn't tolerate carbs and no that for the rest of my life, I will have to limit them or pay the price. I am down 6 lbs this morning from last week... feels so awesome to be in control again.
and Linden - I appreciate all of your valuable information more then words can convey... THANK YOU!!
6 pounds is REALLY good. And thank you for the very kind words. There's a lot of good information here even though we chat a bit -- it helps, I think, friend to friend. I'm thinking that friends are friends, whether or not they know each other. And friends sure share, and help each other out.

Welcome Lorette, welcome back. Kind of exciting that you've quit smoking. I'm wondering if it might be easier, both mentally and physically, to commit to both at the same time? Could you please keep us posted? That might be really, really helpful for some other people. And 10 pounds is nothing to sniff at, either.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #324  
it's my time to shine!

and pardon my spelling mistake... I just noticed... it should be 'know' not 'no'

OOPS!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #325  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Wow Lorette, quiting smoking and committing to Ip again. 2012 is going to be your year for health. You are very brave to take on both challenges at once. We will cheer you on.

I would also like to second what Sara said about so appreciating all the information on this thread. I learn so much from the conversation between a number of people on here. This thread is a little hidden goldmine of information.

Linden. I actually thought your teaching experience would be in the field of nutrition. I see from another thread that it likely is not but you certainly are a researcher.
Anyway now that I suspect in was in a literacy field I will accept your opinion that bad spelling is a result of my Scottish genes. I guess we have the Scottish play we can also have the Scottish spellers.My grandparents on my fathers side spoke the Gaelic as their first language but as adults only used it when they didn't want their kids to understand something.

Last edited by patns; 01-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #326  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
My grandparents on my fathers side spoke the Gaelic as their first language but as adults only used it when they didn't want their kids to understand something.
Boy, can I sympathize with that. My mother learned shorthand to be a reporter and ended up being a secretary until I was born which meant she was actually employed during the Great Depression. She used to write her
Christmas list in shorthand and then just leave it in the middle of the dining room table. Grrrrr.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #327  
it's my time to shine!

good morning!

had my one week weight in back OP and I am down 6 lbs... I am very satisfied with that.

my TOM isn't due for over a week and I am spotting today.... UGH.

how's everyone?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #328  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3LoveBugs View Post
good morning!

had my one week weight in back OP and I am down 6 lbs... I am very satisfied with that.
Well you just better be, having done in one week what it will take some of us 6. :

And speaking of age, as we were several weeks ago, and the appropriate weight for one's age. Here's a BMI calculator that calculates based on your chronological age. Some of you might be pleasantly surprised. I sure was. Although I'm still going to stick with #145 as a top figure.

www.baby2see.com/medical/your_bmi.htm

Pat, I've been thinking about what you said about being a researcher off and on all day, and not particularly happily because it reminds me that I started to research nutrition having been given such really lousy, weight- inducing advice from professional nutritionists. Like most professionals, I guess I'm inclined to trust the professional advice of others. And I did that too long. I could go on until midnight about sins of commission and omission and I won't, but believe me. I could. And just incidentally, my speciality was that fellow who penned the Scottish play. You know. The famous French author Guillaume de Shakespierre, as a colleague avows.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Well you just better be, having done in one week what it will take some of us 6. :

And speaking of age, as we were several weeks ago, and the appropriate weight for one's age. Here's a BMI calculator that calculates based on your chronological age. Some of you might be pleasantly surprised. I sure was. Although I'm still going to stick with #145 as a top figure.

www.baby2see.com/medical/your_bmi.htm

Pat, I've been thinking about what you said about being a researcher off and on all day, and not particularly happily because it reminds me that I started to research nutrition having been given such really lousy, weight- inducing advice from professional nutritionists. Like most professionals, I guess I'm inclined to trust the professional advice of others. And I did that too long. I could go on until midnight about sins of commission and omission and I won't, but believe me. I could. And just incidentally, my speciality was that fellow who penned the Scottish play. You know. The famous French author Guillaume de Shakespierre, as a colleague avows.
Thanks for the BMI calculator, Linden... very interesting that my age makes that much difference...

Shakespierre, too cute!!!.. I googled it & they had the nerve not to know what I was talking about!.. I've always been one of Bill's fans, & I taught my son to love him too... the first time I went to visit him after he got married, he & his lovely bride took me to Shakespeare in the Park in Austin, TX... if I remember right, it was King Lear...

Day 9 back on Phase 1... still seeing a little progress, ever so agonizingly slowly... I'm too impatient!.. I want to be at goal NOW!!!..

hugs
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #330  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Thanks for the BMI calculator, Linden... very interesting that my age makes that much difference...

Day 9 back on Phase 1... still seeing a little progress, ever so agonizingly slowly... I'm too impatient!.. I want to be at goal NOW!!!..
I'm with you on the NOW. It's been a long journey. And about the calculator making a difference. I almost fell off the chair -- which would have involved dumping a semi-sedated cat, who'd just had his teeth cleaned, on the floor and crushing a pup who was trying to get into the same lap. 22.1! WHAT a difference.

And of course, in my book, you're a good mother. We all have our standards.
Closed Thread