Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #61  
KDS
Started IP 12/28/10

S/C/G: 240/179/150

Height: 5'9

I was on IP Dec 28/10 through to June 2011 and felt that I did wonderfully - then along came a couple of vacations and some stressful events which ended up in me gaining about 8 pounds back. To make matters worse I never phased off, which could not have been good for me.
Needless to say I have been very disappointed in myself, but hauled my butt back to my coach. I have been back on the protocol for about a week and a half and I haven't lost AN OUNCE! Has anyone ever heard of this??? I'm worried (and a little stressed out about weigh in on Tuesday)!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #62  
on IP since 10/4/10

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'9"

Hey! I have the same old sob story as everyone else, but luckily I'm getting on the bandwagon sooner than later... instead of the 40 lbs I had to lose last time, I only have 15... so here we go again! Good luck all!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

[QUOTE=showgirlaz;4009353]

I AGREE!! OMG, getting restarted was incredibly hard for me! I know what you mean about the "little bit more" mentality. In my case, I felt well, this day is done, better enjoy it now and start again tomorrow. I guess I was being a ... LOT... defeatist in attitude. It does snowball rapidly from there.

I am so glad you were able to get through the first week well. How long do you think it took your brain to make the mental power adjustment and start working more as it normally does?

[QUOTE]

It took me about 5 days to feel like I was able to focus on work properly. I was still able to do my job but had to try harder than normal to focus. Only way I can describe it is during my first 3 days it feels like I have a hangover and sinus pressure all at the same time. But once I get past that it just takes a couple days for my body and mind to get use to operating on what I'm giving it. Once I'm use to it everything seems to work like normal.

What I find odd is that if I'm doing something that involves me moving around and being active I have no problem with focusing. If I'm working on a car, bike or out in the yard its never an issue. Its just the sitting in front of a computer that I seemed to have a hard time with.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 189/175/155

Height: 5'8

It is hard to restart, but we must remember, we will be faced with these challenges forever. I think its going to be so important not to follow in the same old diet patters where we screw up and continue to blow it.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #65  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Happy Monday to everyone. I managed to fall from grace once again this weekend. I didn't go crazy off plan, but still off plan which will slow me down. Those darn campfire's on Saturday nights with friends and family make it especially hard for me with the alcohol. It was Bud Select 55 which isn't the worst for carbs, but it is off program. This program just doesn't allow for any cheating. I toss around going to WW which allows some alcohol but I so like the Ip plan and convience. I also know IP works when followed.

So today, once again I am jumping on board and starting a new. The first week is so hard but I can do it.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I do hate how hot is has been. It has been quite a bit warmer than is normal for this time of year. As for the dust storms, in my 42 yrs living here I have NEVER seen anything like these. The first was very incredible but the 3 since have been equally amazing. There is both a big and real concern when that dust is lifted and carried around as it means many more people could become exposed to or ill with the valley fever illness (carried in the dirt here). I am so hoping for October. September will hopefully be a bit better but a true break and change doesn't usually happen til mid or late October.

I agree! I have a much different approach this time. I was so worried last time about getting it off fast and meeting every significant number. Now, I just care that it comes off and stays off. I don't care about the scale this time. I care about how my clothes fit. The inches and how I feel matter so much more. I look at each day not as a day but by the meals. I only have to do each meal correctly and not give in to a temptation and I will eventually be exactly where my body needs to be. I know the diet works, I know I can do it again, this time I don't feel I am in a race.

I was very happy to maintain for as long as I did but, I didn't learn how to manage my emotional eating the first time and this time my goal is to lose the weight and change how I deal with the emotional and stressful elements that derailed me this year.

I was able to go into maintenance and maintain for about a year. I gained following the death of a very special family member and the bitter separation of a relationship I was in (simultaneous events). In my case, I went back to old habits involving emotional eating and stopped following maintenance protocol. I must say, on maintenance my gains back were exactly as expected and stayed that way until I departed from the program.

I AGREE!! OMG, getting restarted was incredibly hard for me! I know what you mean about the "little bit more" mentality. In my case, I felt well, this day is done, better enjoy it now and start again tomorrow. I guess I was being a ... LOT... defeatist in attitude. It does snowball rapidly from there.

I am so glad you were able to get through the first week well. How long do you think it took your brain to make the mental power adjustment and start working more as it normally does?

WOOO HOO!! You are here! I think you are doing great. You managed to be off program, exercise and lose, that is more than I could do!

You will get that 20 pounds off in NO time. I can't wait to help you celebrate.
Like you, i too had a great deal of weight gain due to very emotional distress. My husband(we were separated at the time) as he had alcohol and drug issues died and at the same time, my daughter, who was 7 months pregnant lost the baby while my husband was in the hospital in a coma. Before all this was happening, i had lost 40 lbs through diet and exercise on my own. I gain it all back plus some. My question is and something i am so scared of in the future, is how do you stop turning to food for comfort. I think it is so ingrained in us sometimes(from childhood) that foods is a reward and will make u feel better.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
My question is and something i am so scared of in the future, is how do you stop turning to food for comfort. I think it is so ingrained in us sometimes(from childhood) that foods is a reward and will make u feel better.

I personally replaced food with excersize or a hobby. Even if I was just sitting at home of an evening relaxing and I would start to think about munching on something I shouldn't I would go for a walk.

I actually do feel better from some excersize than I did from the little bit of something sweet that would later make me feel horrible. The activity I get to keep me from thinking about munching on garbage is way longer lasting and even more satifiying.

Thats what worked for me.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #68  

You know what I'm finding hard this time...not getting the results I got last time. I have my 12 week weigh in and I'll be lucky if I hit 30 lbs but this time last time around I was down almost 50...

hard to not want more
Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #69  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Wow! What a lot of work. I can't imagine. I was there for a small one a couple of years ago in Oct. My daughters place over looked the Indian Reservation south of Pecos Rd. I couldn't believe watching the wall of dirt come blowing in. We quick grabbed all the patio furniture and brought it in and kept it from being covered with dirt. Pretty scarey and it wasn't even a huge storm like you have recently had.

We will have to meet up this year for sure. I am hoping to come down for 10 days every month if I don't stay most of the winter. The condo's I stay at aren't offering short term leases now so I will have to play it by ear. I hate to be a pest at my daughter's too long. Even though she enjoys it, we all need our space everyonce in a while. These Iowa winters are long and cold. Allegiant airline has nonstop flights now at an airport near me so it makes it really easy. Plus I watch their site for bargain deals. Sometimes I can fly for 39.00 (plus fees) each way into Mesa.

Today is beautiful here. I'm sitting out on my deck with my two dogs, sipping water with Mio in it with a fire burning in the firepit. Wind chime is softly playing a melody. Life is good Hope your day is going good too.
I was so jealous reading about your pretty day. I am looking forward to those this fall and winter. I am sure you will be able to find something short term in the area. We are known for our winter visits so lots of places will be offering something. Whatever the case, let's definitely try to meet during one of your stays.

I have heard about allegient. my friend uses them often and says they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Ok, I officially made it through my first day back on IP after a break from May until today. I also weighed in this morning and realized I was starting 3 pounds higher than I was a few weeks back Oh well, move forward!

I am having a bad headache that comes and goes and I ate more than 2 cups of veggies at lunch and dinner (in addition to lettuce). I will measure the veggies out tomorrow, but seriously felt I needed them today as an extra IP protein packet would have led to another, etc. My coach told me not to worry so much about the veggies (if they are not restricted veggies) and she allows me 2 TBSP of olive oil a day, not tsp. After re-reading Dr. Tran's IP book, I feel that I should stick to the smallest amount of olive oil as possible. Therefore, I decided tomorrow to follow the 2 cups of veggies and the 2 tsp of olive oil. I want to see if this makes for more steady weight loss this time around.

Also, I am not working right now, so I have lots of time to devote to meal prep and exercise (unlike last time, where I was stressed, exhausted and could hardly get a daily walk in with work full time and grad school full time). I am hoping for a more consistent loss with IP as I get rid of these last 50 pounds and then prepare for pregnancy (the ultimate goal). I will be on here more often reading, being inspired and hopefully helping to motivate people as you all help to motivate me.

Happiness to all!
Using the smallest amount of oil is helpful. I used a bit more oil, lemon juice, a bit of broth, or water to cook with.

Definitely take advantage of the prep time. it will make things easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolaf View Post
Hi all - love this thread. I've been OP for about a month and a half. I have a history of gaining and losing so it was great for me to read the comments from people who have been on and off plan and are now re-starting.

I think it's important for those of us that are 'newbies' to learn from the more experienced people - learning from your successes and pitfalls. Thanks for everyone's honesty and sharing your stories.

I hope you are all have much success.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
I was on IP Dec 28/10 through to June 2011 and felt that I did wonderfully - then along came a couple of vacations and some stressful events which ended up in me gaining about 8 pounds back. To make matters worse I never phased off, which could not have been good for me.
Needless to say I have been very disappointed in myself, but hauled my butt back to my coach. I have been back on the protocol for about a week and a half and I haven't lost AN OUNCE! Has anyone ever heard of this??? I'm worried (and a little stressed out about weigh in on Tuesday)!
nice to have you back! yes, i have had trouble getting started and getting things to budge too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmimi View Post
Hey! I have the same old sob story as everyone else, but luckily I'm getting on the bandwagon sooner than later... instead of the 40 lbs I had to lose last time, I only have 15... so here we go again! Good luck all!
hey there! Very smart of you to tackle it while it is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis88 View Post

It took me about 5 days to feel like I was able to focus on work properly. I was still able to do my job but had to try harder than normal to focus. Only way I can describe it is during my first 3 days it feels like I have a hangover and sinus pressure all at the same time. But once I get past that it just takes a couple days for my body and mind to get use to operating on what I'm giving it. Once I'm use to it everything seems to work like normal.

What I find odd is that if I'm doing something that involves me moving around and being active I have no problem with focusing. If I'm working on a car, bike or out in the yard its never an issue. Its just the sitting in front of a computer that I seemed to have a hard time with.
Interesting! I haven't noticed a distinction. I wonder why that would make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Happy Monday to everyone. I managed to fall from grace once again this weekend. I didn't go crazy off plan, but still off plan which will slow me down. Those darn campfire's on Saturday nights with friends and family make it especially hard for me with the alcohol. It was Bud Select 55 which isn't the worst for carbs, but it is off program. This program just doesn't allow for any cheating. I toss around going to WW which allows some alcohol but I so like the Ip plan and convience. I also know IP works when followed.

So today, once again I am jumping on board and starting a new. The first week is so hard but I can do it.
Just keep going forward. Think of it as a mini fun day and back to phase 1. Maintenance requires being able to go from having fun back to a controlled life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
Like you, i too had a great deal of weight gain due to very emotional distress. My husband(we were separated at the time) as he had alcohol and drug issues died and at the same time, my daughter, who was 7 months pregnant lost the baby while my husband was in the hospital in a coma. Before all this was happening, i had lost 40 lbs through diet and exercise on my own. I gain it all back plus some. My question is and something i am so scared of in the future, is how do you stop turning to food for comfort. I think it is so ingrained in us sometimes(from childhood) that foods is a reward and will make u feel better.
I am so sorry for all of your loss. That must have been truly challenging to get through.

Welcome back! You will not be alone in doing this again.

Yes, I do think it goes back to habits learned and only time and presence of mind helps us to change those habits. I know now some triggers I didn't know before. I am a bit more aware. I hope that should it come up again, I will remember what just happened and learn from and apply that knowledge to get me over another emotional event.

Like J. says it may be most helpful starting to cultivate new hobbies or habits to help us manage emotion and stress. I think it may also help having a person to talk to about why I turn to food the way I do.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #70  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmimi View Post
OMG....how are you....so great to see you here.

I lost down to a size 8 by June and to 165....I phased off properly and have maintained all summer....I was up about 5-6 pounds, but not anymore (drinking weight). I am starting back at my clinic on September 6th to try and lose another 15 pounds....don't get me wrong....I love where I am at, but would like a little wiggle room.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #71  

I love the quote "If you really do want to lose you'll find a way, if not, you will find an excuse!" I need to remind myself of that reality. There is always a social event, a celebration, a sad, draining time etc. When I lost the weight initially, I worked through these events and kept on losing. When I started the slow gain, I made excuses and thought "I will get through this ____ and then start earnestly." That is the difference for me. Really giving it my all or just trying when it is convenient.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #72  

Height: 5'1"

Hello everyone, I usually don't post much but I thought I'd give it a shot.

A few months back i lost about 9 lbs then I had an episode where I was either crying or eating (thus binging constantly to 'prevent' facing my emotions) which lasted a month or so. After that there was an okay period, then I got into another rut and ended up piling a total of about 20lbs back on. Yesterday I had a bad night but I managed to fight off the binge demon, so I'm hoping that is a sign that I am slowly getting rid of my bad habits.

QUESTION:
I've started again and noticed that the second time around the weight is falling off my thigh/bum area whilst my stomach is still sticking out quite a bit. The first time I did it the weight came of my stomach first and came off my thighs/bum last, and I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing? I just found it odd because I am a pear-shape and up until now my stomach was always the first thing to get trim and thigh/bum was always lagging behind! I suppose in a way its good as my mother/father are quick to remind me of how large my behind is, but I'm hoping my tummy will catch up soon!

Also I was wondering whether everyone else has experienced irritability? My father said I should eat more and I know he was just concerned but I snapped at him... Feeling very guilty about it. =( If anyone else has these kind of experiences, how do you control it?

Yinyang
- for me it is either 100% or 'oh well, I'll start tomorrow so let me just finish this tub of icecream'... I know its a bad habit, and as I'm much more aware of it now (after doing lots of reading on 3FC) I feel more confident that I can avoid slipping back into old habits. I know its going to be very difficult as food has been my comfort for as long as I can remember but trying is the first step to succeeding!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #73  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffe3 View Post
Hello everyone, I usually don't post much but I thought I'd give it a shot.

A few months back i lost about 9 lbs then I had an episode where I was either crying or eating (thus binging constantly to 'prevent' facing my emotions) which lasted a month or so. After that there was an okay period, then I got into another rut and ended up piling a total of about 20lbs back on. Yesterday I had a bad night but I managed to fight off the binge demon, so I'm hoping that is a sign that I am slowly getting rid of my bad habits.

QUESTION:
I've started again and noticed that the second time around the weight is falling off my thigh/bum area whilst my stomach is still sticking out quite a bit. The first time I did it the weight came of my stomach first and came off my thighs/bum last, and I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing? I just found it odd because I am a pear-shape and up until now my stomach was always the first thing to get trim and thigh/bum was always lagging behind! I suppose in a way its good as my mother/father are quick to remind me of how large my behind is, but I'm hoping my tummy will catch up soon!

Also I was wondering whether everyone else has experienced irritability? My father said I should eat more and I know he was just concerned but I snapped at him... Feeling very guilty about it. =( If anyone else has these kind of experiences, how do you control it?

Yinyang
- for me it is either 100% or 'oh well, I'll start tomorrow so let me just finish this tub of icecream'... I know its a bad habit, and as I'm much more aware of it now (after doing lots of reading on 3FC) I feel more confident that I can avoid slipping back into old habits. I know its going to be very difficult as food has been my comfort for as long as I can remember but trying is the first step to succeeding!
I think it is different for everyone. I have read that if you were developing or had insulin resistance you will carry more weight in your stomach. Maybe this time the weight is just weight and not as related to that so, it is coming off differently? Obviously, I don't know and can only throw out whatever thoughts come to mind. I would just be glad it is coming off and let it catch up as it will.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #74  

I was so good all last week, but it seems that two things took their toll: my period and the fact that I worked crazy hours due to the planning of the state funeral for Jack Layton. Lack of regular eating, drinking and sleeping schedule really set me back. Got on the scale today and was up 5 lbs!! Arggh! It's all over now and my schedule is back to normal...hopefully I can hop back on the losing train again. Will not let this minor setback get me down!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #75  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
I love the quote "If you really do want to lose you'll find a way, if not, you will find an excuse!" I need to remind myself of that reality. There is always a social event, a celebration, a sad, draining time etc. When I lost the weight initially, I worked through these events and kept on losing. When I started the slow gain, I made excuses and thought "I will get through this ____ and then start earnestly." That is the difference for me. Really giving it my all or just trying when it is convenient.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?
I couldn't of said it better.
Closed Thread