Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #31  
Senior Member
 
brummie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 237

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieGee View Post
Brummie I know what you mean about the loose skin and gaunt look - although I am by no means gaunt yet. I'm 60 and have been way overweight for a long time so I'm pretty worried about the loose skin.

Yesterday I went across the street to have coffee with a neighbour. She's only 3 years older than me - now she does smoke, barely moves and drinks like a fish, but still - she was wearing a baggy tank top with no bra but the worst part were her arms. They were grossly baggy loose skin with no fill or fat in them at all and very crepey. It made me almost want to stay fat.

then when I was watching tv I saw a commercial for lifestyle lift and I called. They are all in the US but I'm getting a brochure anyway. I'm thinking that if I lost all my 70 or 80 pounds I might have one of those lifestyle lifts to pick up my baggy jowls and neck and whatever else has sunken as I lose weight. It costs about $5000 US but that's cheaper and easier than a facelift. And it's done under local anesthetic.

As for the baggy arms, I will start working out when I get a big lower and try to minimize it but other than that - I don't know what can be done - I guess that's what clothes are for.
I think working out is definately the way to go for me. It really is just the flappy arms that are bugging me, my thighs and tummy are pretty gross, but I'm not as bothered about them! Funny (well maybe not), when I see my saggy belly skin in the mirror it looks like a sad face...my belly button just looks like a sad smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
So congrats on the 50lbs lost that is huge the face in the mirror, oh how I agree with you there, I still don't recognize me, I see my sister (which is kind of scary) I didn't think we looked that much like each other... but then I have always had such a round face. Now my face shape is more like hers, I know it is me but where did I get those bags under my eyes and how can I get rid of them. I too have loose skin, my arms just look yucky, but I brave the world and still wear tank tops and shorts. My biggest sag is in my stomach, I noticed that my poor belly button is so sunk in it is scary. But I love that my size 10 pants are getting loose too and will have to go goodwilling again for shirts as some of them are too big now. My T-shirts look like I am wearing 10x too big... (I love my t-shirts) and I just haven't found replacements for them. I looked at myself yesterday just before walking the dogs my t-shirt is just about mid thigh and my shorts are so big my legs look like little sticks coming out of them... so will have to start shopping again. (I don't really like shopping) I put it off as much as I can.

Brummie you hare doing great you just keep up what you are doing and it only matters as to when YOU feel you are ready to go to the next phase. Good luck.
Thank you! I got to find out what 50lbs actually feels like this weekend. We grind our own flour, so I had to go pick up some grain. This is the first time hubby or my son weren't with me - I picked up a 50lb bag and could barely lift it into the trunk of my car! No wonder my hip and knee were always hurting! that's a lot of extra baggage!

I know what you mean about looking like your sister! when I started losing the weight I could see the resemblence a little bit, but now...we almost look like twins!! Except, I'm younger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
I recommend doing some additional reading about loose skin. I read somewhere that loose skin is normally that way because there is some fat trapped underneath after losing a lot of weight. The skin is very good at stretching and then shrinking. I read somewhere that if you lose another 5lbs, then the skin starts to tighten and the flabbiness goes away... I certainly hope this is the case, as my arm flab is starting to get to me... and I don't want plastic surgery.
pxlkitty: I met a lady that had lost 160 lbs a few years ago (about 90lbs lost on IP), as you can imagine, she had quite a bit of loose skin when she phased out. I asked her how she toned up her skin and like you she mentioned pilates. she said that once she started it seemed slow, but once she had lost her first couple of inches she was suprised how quickly the loose skin tightened up. I hope this is true too!
brummie is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #32  
Start 2014
 
carlasherea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laurel, Montana
Posts: 295

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Default

I'm back too!!! I have had a whirlwind of a summer. So busy that I haven't even been making it to my workout classes and eating right has been few and far between. I'm officially back at work today and I seem to notice I do much better with my whole life when I have that structure back in place. I have gained a few lbs but not enough that 2 weeks won't get it all back off. I am heading to my class this evening. I notice I'm not as firm, so I want to fix that too. Good to see you all again!
carlasherea is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #33  
started IP 1.11.11
 
ash825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 234

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

Default

Really interesting discussion on here this morning. I feel like a lot of us are in that same point--either near goal or re-evaluating goal, but plugging away (sick of it) not quite sure what to do. I thought I would share my perspective.

I'm not 100% happy with my body but I've lost a lot of weight and went from a an 18 to a 10. I feel amazing and am excited to keep up this healthy lifestyle. I will say that I'm mentally OVER doing full on phase 1 IP. Thus, I started phasing out (tomorrow's my last day of phase 2). Does the weight loss slow down? Of course. It's phasing out to "regular" eating. But, I'm trying really hard to re-focus on what I've done, not what's left to do. I'm embracing my "phase out" instead of letting the fear suck me in. Instead of focusing so much energy on IP, I signed up for a 5k in October (eeeek!) and am entering the "work out world" this week. Today I biked for nearly an hour with a 3 year old in tow and my legs are like jello but I loved it!

My plan from here on out? Phase out, maintain, enjoy Summer and Fall and re-evaluate my weight loss goals in January (which is my 1 year on IP).

Just my 2 cents. To each their own but it's honestly released SO MUCH pressure to have a new plan. I feel mentally renewed. I'm appreciative of IP not completely controlled by and resentful of IP. Hope that makes sense.

Happy Monday!
ash825 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #34  
Pat R
 
hawndragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 101

S/C/G: 219/209/175

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
I dunno if I count as an old timer anymore but I have put about 8 months into IP between before my pregnancy and now

I enjoy this thread because it's not the same questions over and over again because no one takes a moment to read the sticky's before asking their questions

Anyway I hope you all don't mind if I crash this thread from now on...even though I've only been kicking aroun for a couple months!
Jordanna it is so good to see your face back in the chats! I want you to know you have been such an inspiration to me. When I started, I devoured all of the info you shared along with Carla's. You two rock and have made such a difference in my life. Thank you!!
hawndragon is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #35  
Maintaining since 6/9/11
 
Lucky Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 369

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
Really interesting discussion on here this morning. I feel like a lot of us are in that same point--either near goal or re-evaluating goal, but plugging away (sick of it) not quite sure what to do. I thought I would share my perspective.

I'm not 100% happy with my body but I've lost a lot of weight and went from a an 18 to a 10. I feel amazing and am excited to keep up this healthy lifestyle. I will say that I'm mentally OVER doing full on phase 1 IP. Thus, I started phasing out (tomorrow's my last day of phase 2). Does the weight loss slow down? Of course. It's phasing out to "regular" eating. But, I'm trying really hard to re-focus on what I've done, not what's left to do. I'm embracing my "phase out" instead of letting the fear suck me in. Instead of focusing so much energy on IP, I signed up for a 5k in October (eeeek!) and am entering the "work out world" this week. Today I biked for nearly an hour with a 3 year old in tow and my legs are like jello but I loved it!

My plan from here on out? Phase out, maintain, enjoy Summer and Fall and re-evaluate my weight loss goals in January (which is my 1 year on IP).

Just my 2 cents. To each their own but it's honestly released SO MUCH pressure to have a new plan. I feel mentally renewed. I'm appreciative of IP not completely controlled by and resentful of IP. Hope that makes sense.

Happy Monday!
It is great to hear from you, Ash. Believe it or not I was just thinking about you this morning.

I love when you say you are embracing phasing out instead of letting fear suck you in. I think I have gotten a little sucked in by the fear of gaining rather than fully letting go and learning to live without IP. I appreciate your words.

Congrats and good luck!
Chris
Lucky Chick is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #36  
Pat R
 
hawndragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 101

S/C/G: 219/209/175

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Hello everyone~
Today I moved to P3!! I am 5 lbs away from my 175 lb goal!!! I feel great and am down from a 22/24 to 12/14. Gosh, I am so happy and proud of myself for persevering during this difficult time in my life. My husband may have left me, but through it all, I FOUND MYSELF!!! Thank you for all of your support and encouragement when I needed it. Five more pounds....and I know I will do it.
(I'm going to figure out how to post before and after shots...my new avatar is from last week.)
hawndragon is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #37  
IP started 4/25/11
 
MInewgoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 363

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawndragon View Post
Hello everyone~
Today I moved to P3!! I am 5 lbs away from my 175 lb goal!!! I feel great and am down from a 22/24 to 12/14. Gosh, I am so happy and proud of myself for persevering during this difficult time in my life. My husband may have left me, but through it all, I FOUND MYSELF!!! Thank you for all of your support and encouragement when I needed it. Five more pounds....and I know I will do it.
(I'm going to figure out how to post before and after shots...my new avatar is from last week.)
All I have to say is... WOW!!!

Excellent Job! Way to persevere!
MInewgoal is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #38  
Senior Member
 
mamarix1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 496

S/C/G: 214.4/173/145

Height: 5 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
That sounds like a great plan!! I've been nervous just thinking about weaning off of the phases, but hearing from you makes me feel like I will be able to maintain when I get to goal too!! Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was at 149 today. I was so worried about maintenance, but so far it's working. I did get up and walk at 5:30 this morning, so maybe that is helping! I've decided to keep wearing size 10, they're a little baggy, but I use a belt. I think 5.8 and a size 10 is just about right for my frame.
Mary
mamarix1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #39  
Senior Member
 
mamarix1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 496

S/C/G: 214.4/173/145

Height: 5 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
i've been fluctuating between 145 and 147 ever since i started phase 2. it's getting annoying. my coach was out on thursday, so i met with the doctor and he said that i need t stay on phase 2 until i get to 140 so that when i go to phase 3 i'll have room to get back up to 145. the problem is that phase 2 isn't making me lose any weight. i'm going to see how it goes for the next couple of days and if i still don't lose anything i'll start doing phase 1 every other day, otherwise i'll just be stuck on phase 2 forever. i just want to be done so that i can start my exercise classes and get rid of this floppy belly, arm and thigh skin!
Maybe if you started exercising you would get rid of those last pesky lbs. I know it would make you feel better and ease some of your frustration. A lot of us have exercised through the whole program. Maybe you could give it a week trial just to see???
mamarix1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #40  
start IP Feb 8 2011
 
2RIDEROLLERCOAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,527

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawndragon View Post
Hello everyone~
Today I moved to P3!! I am 5 lbs away from my 175 lb goal!!! I feel great and am down from a 22/24 to 12/14. Gosh, I am so happy and proud of myself for persevering during this difficult time in my life. My husband may have left me, but through it all, I FOUND MYSELF!!! Thank you for all of your support and encouragement when I needed it. Five more pounds....and I know I will do it.
(I'm going to figure out how to post before and after shots...my new avatar is from last week.)
Wow that is great, you are a real inspiration.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #41  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aunt Sheshie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: High Desert of West Texas
Posts: 841

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
I recommend doing some additional reading about loose skin. I read somewhere that loose skin is normally that way because there is some fat trapped underneath after losing a lot of weight. The skin is very good at stretching and then shrinking. I read somewhere that if you lose another 5lbs, then the skin starts to tighten and the flabbiness goes away... I certainly hope this is the case, as my arm flab is starting to get to me... and I don't want plastic surgery.
I read that too, Pxlkitty4... in my case, I can sorta tell there's still some fat in my "bat-wings" but they're gradually tightening up, as is the rest of my stretched-out skin... I still have wrinkly skin here & there, but not as bad as I expected... anyway, if anybody wants to read what one guy has to say about it, go to The Myth of Loose Skin...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #42  
Senior Member
 
capricious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 528

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

Woohoo!!! Yippee!!! Woohoo!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! The fish thing evidently worked because I dropped 3 pounds to 144! Sweet! I will now stop using exclamation marks but it was thrilling to step on the scale and have the stupid thing move enough that I can feel justified moving onto phase 3. Last night I was so nervous I couldn't get to sleep- felt like tomorrow was my first day back at school after the summer... ridiculous, but true...
My coach is aware of my upcoming girls weekend and when I asked where my weight would likely settle she said it will probably be in the 146-147 range but to accommodate going away it's best to continue with phasing off. Which to my way of thinking is acceptable- she also stated that if I felt a need to 'deal' with those extra couple/ few pounds I could follow Phase 2 for a bit again after I have phased off... We'll see... I'd really like to see what the gym can offer in the way of change now that IP has given me so much...
I, too, have the loose skin and the belly button that looks like a mustachio BUT it has come a loonnnnngggggg way from where it was- it is still a work in progress- just going to be utilizing exercise as a tool now rather than completely relying upon diet. I have read that body composition is 80% what you eat 10% exercise 10% genetics. I can't effect the genetics and I feel comfortable with having the eating under control at this point- it's time to exercise! So very, very thankful to have made it a bit past goal and really really looking forward to tomorrow mornings breakfast. I went out and bought yogurt, raspberries and granola- as this was my go to breakfast prior to starting IP- and I'm DYING to have it.
I'm very happy to be in the midst of you all- you're going to be a great group to maintain with!
capricious is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #43  
Senior Member
 
mamarix1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 496

S/C/G: 214.4/173/145

Height: 5 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
Woohoo!!! Yippee!!! Woohoo!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! The fish thing evidently worked because I dropped 3 pounds to 144! Sweet! I will now stop using exclamation marks but it was thrilling to step on the scale and have the stupid thing move enough that I can feel justified moving onto phase 3. Last night I was so nervous I couldn't get to sleep- felt like tomorrow was my first day back at school after the summer... ridiculous, but true...
My coach is aware of my upcoming girls weekend and when I asked where my weight would likely settle she said it will probably be in the 146-147 range but to accommodate going away it's best to continue with phasing off. Which to my way of thinking is acceptable- she also stated that if I felt a need to 'deal' with those extra couple/ few pounds I could follow Phase 2 for a bit again after I have phased off... We'll see... I'd really like to see what the gym can offer in the way of change now that IP has given me so much...
I, too, have the loose skin and the belly button that looks like a mustachio BUT it has come a loonnnnngggggg way from where it was- it is still a work in progress- just going to be utilizing exercise as a tool now rather than completely relying upon diet. I have read that body composition is 80% what you eat 10% exercise 10% genetics. I can't effect the genetics and I feel comfortable with having the eating under control at this point- it's time to exercise! So very, very thankful to have made it a bit past goal and really really looking forward to tomorrow mornings breakfast. I went out and bought yogurt, raspberries and granola- as this was my go to breakfast prior to starting IP- and I'm DYING to have it.
I'm very happy to be in the midst of you all- you're going to be a great group to maintain with!
Have I added you to the IP facebook page? Send me a message with your 'real' name if you would like me to add you. And, Congratulations!!!
Mary

Last edited by mamarix1; 08-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.
mamarix1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #44  
started 2/22/11
 
disgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA (but in my mind....DISNEY WORLD)!!
Posts: 493

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
I read that too, Pxlkitty4... in my case, I can sorta tell there's still some fat in my "bat-wings" but they're gradually tightening up, as is the rest of my stretched-out skin... I still have wrinkly skin here & there, but not as bad as I expected... anyway, if anybody wants to read what one guy has to say about it, go to The Myth of Loose Skin...

hugs
WOW! I was just on that website....then came on here and saw your post!! LOL!! It's interesting...and makes sense too!!
disgal is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #45  
Senior Member
 
capricious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 528

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

Laura- Hopefully your WI will go as well as mine and you'll be able to hop on the Phase 3 wagon... it's difficult to offer any concrete advice as you're definitely more of an expert on the program than I, and you can't eat animal protein which would definitely make changing things up a LOT more difficult...BUT... you look fantastic!! And that's what it's really all about right? I'm sure when you started IP you did so with the intention of looking a certain way- as this is what the world sees- the number on the scale is personal as no one but you sees it. I completely understand the semantics of it however- we set our goals as numbers on the scale- not pant size or measurements for that matter- and when you've come this far you want to see it through to the end. If you hit your goal of 145 on the scale on Thursday- maybe you could consider phase 3? Try phasing off and see how much it impacts you- maybe the number WON'T go up and if it does- there's no rule to say you can't revert to Phase 2 or even Phase 1 for that matter and 'deal' with the extra few.
My coach mentioned that it is natural for us to put on about 6 pounds thru the year, which I believe is also in Dr. Tran's book, and that it is recommended to do a once a year 'tune-up'. Mine will be in March as it is my one year anniversary on the program, just as Ash will be doing hers in January at her one year point. Any extra could also be 'dealt' with then if it is really bothering you...
Just food for thought... looking forward to seeing how your WI turns out and what decision you make...
capricious is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.