General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #481  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm having a lot of dieting thoughts lately. It has a lot to do with my summer trip coming up next month me all the shopping I have to do to prepare. I feel tremendous amount of pressure to lose weight because I know when I arrive at my family's home everyone will comment on whether or not I lost weight. People in my home country are very candid about weight talk. They will literally ask blunt questions like "why are you fat, you should eat less."

Something I'm doing lately is eating yogurt for breakfast everyday. I don't particularly love yogurt, it's my least favorite breakfast food though I do occasionally have it. This past week I r been eating it everyday. I'm doing this because I like the energy it gives me, and how it makes me feel all day. It satisfies my physical hunger and keeps me sated all morning. The only problem is that I don't enjoy it. How does this fit in with IE? Will this backfire? I'm hoping that I'll get used to it and start to love it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #482  

Palestrina,

I think it's good to experiment with stuff and see how it goes. Just remember that if it starts causing negative behaviors to fight the urge to blame yourself and feel guilty.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #483  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Food is comforting. There's only a problem when it becomes the way you deal with most of your problems. Food is a pretty crappy solution to any problem other than hunger. If you're lonely or upset there are better ways of coping that will do more to help.
I love this^!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #484  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
I'm having a lot of dieting thoughts lately. It has a lot to do with my summer trip coming up next month me all the shopping I have to do to prepare. I feel tremendous amount of pressure to lose weight because I know when I arrive at my family's home everyone will comment on whether or not I lost weight. People in my home country are very candid about weight talk. They will literally ask blunt questions like "why are you fat, you should eat less."

Something I'm doing lately is eating yogurt for breakfast everyday. I don't particularly love yogurt, it's my least favorite breakfast food though I do occasionally have it. This past week I r been eating it everyday. I'm doing this because I like the energy it gives me, and how it makes me feel all day. It satisfies my physical hunger and keeps me sated all morning. The only problem is that I don't enjoy it. How does this fit in with IE? Will this backfire? I'm hoping that I'll get used to it and start to love it.

Like you said earlier upthread Palestrina, with kids your day pretty much revolves around FOOD! I find this to be a big challenge.

Anyway, what you have been doing with yogurt, I have been doing with vegetables. I don't love eating vegetables but I love how great I feel when I eat them. I also love how my blood sugar issues seem to have gone away now that I am eating so many veggies. LIke you, I hope I come to like them more. Its not hard to eat them now though because the feeling better effect seems to be cumulative, so the more I eat the better I feel.

That sounds tough about your trip. i have an event next month where I will see people I haven't seen in years. Its hard not to feel that dieting pressure. I weighed less several years ago.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #485  
banned

Quote:

There are many different kinds of yogurts. Some better than others. If you could specify what type, maybe that could give more information for more accurate answers.
Apart from the the yougurt, are you having something else in your breakfast?
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #486  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
There are many different kinds of yogurts. Some better than others. If you could specify what type, maybe that could give more information for more accurate answers.
Apart from the the yougurt, are you having something else in your breakfast?
You want to give me accurate answers? About what?

I'm eating greek yogurt, of course.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #487  

We did a really powerful home exercise in my group therapy a few weeks ago. The assignment was to write a letter from your body to your mind and then another from your mind to your body. It only took about ten minutes and it was really profound. My body just wants to be healthy and thrive. It feels ignored by my mind. It's put up with a lot of b.s. over the years. My mind has been so occupied with trying to hide from emotional/physical pain that it hasn't been listening to my body at all. I feel much more attuned to both now, and in a compassionate way. It was very cool.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #488  

Quote:
We did a really powerful home exercise in my group therapy a few weeks ago. The assignment was to write a letter from your body to your mind and then another from your mind to your body. It only took about ten minutes and it was really profound. My body just wants to be healthy and thrive. It feels ignored by my mind. It's put up with a lot of b.s. over the years. My mind has been so occupied with trying to hide from emotional/physical pain that it hasn't been listening to my body at all. I feel much more attuned to both now, and in a compassionate way. It was very cool.
I'm going to do this! What do you hope will come from this by the way, what impact can it have in the long run? And is it an ongoing exercise?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #489  
Mindful eating for life

S/C/G: 155/147/135

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone,
I just joined this group today and this is my first official post. I was very happy to find this thread and hope you dont mind if I join in. I just wanted to share that my experience is the same re: the struggle with my current weight being higher than my past one and the extreme uneasiness I feel about any event where I feel everyone is sure to notice and comment. Unfortunately I'm embarrased to say that my response has been to go on a diet. I feel like a failure for returning to past behaviours but these wonderful posts have motivated me to start going back to what I've learned from my reading and my therapy sessions.
I'm seeing my therapist next week so I plan to get some help with breaking this current cycle before I diet myself into another frenzy. Hopefully I can just ease myself into some mindful eating rather than binge as I usually do when a diet gets to be too much. Thanks guys. Sorry about the rant.
Scaletosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #490  

Palestrina,

I think the point of the exercise is to make peace with your body and to understand that it's not the enemy. My body wants to be healthy and it can therefore be trusted. I spend so much time hating my body I forget all the good stuff it can do. The exercise has also made me more forgiving of my mind. My mind wants things like a good job, strong relationships, and to fit in with my community. These are some of the reasons why it's pushed so hard in the past for me to lose weight, even at the expense of my health. So I now understand these different values which I don't disagree with. I just have a different approach to living these values now- one that doesn't rely so much on achieving a certain body shape.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #491  

Welcome Scaletosser! I totally understand the dieting cycle. I am just getting through the last of a post-diet binge myself. Dieting really does screw up my body.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #492  

Weird success today! I went bathing suit shopping and I feel fine. I mean I'm not like super excited happy but I'm also not a slobbering mess crying and puking from rage and shame. Shopping has been rather benign actually. I used to freak out if something didn't freak. Now I just think there's something wrong with the clothes, they're not made to fit my own particular body and it's not personal!

I was really not expecting this, I've been doing a lot of shopping lately and have been unexpectedly unfazed by it. I've found some beautiful clothes but plenty of misses too and it's all good. It feels great to be sane!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #493  

That's good to hear Palestrina. I had a success yesterday myself. I decided I wanted to try yoga because I've heard so many good things about it. I shopped around and found an instructor who works specifically with people who have larger bodies. I found her email, contacted her, and signed up for the class starting in a few weeks.

I was way excited about it and told my boss about how I'm going to start doing yoga (with no mention about it being a class for larger people). She said "I used to do yoga but honestly I never lost weight doing it." I was sort of puzzled for a moment, before I realized that I had never once thought about signing up for yoga to lose weight. I want to do yoga to increase my flexibility and body awareness. Weight loss never crossed my mind once. I'm AMAZED that this happened.

Before, exercise was always a chore I did to lose weight. It was something to punish myself with because I was fat. Now I move because it *feels good*. Victory!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #494  

Quote:

Before, exercise was always a chore I did to lose weight. It was something to punish myself with because I was fat. Now I move because it *feels good*. Victory!
This.

I completely understand - it's all about feeling good, not losing weight. So it's something to look forward to, not to dread. I have NEVER been an active person physically - never in my whole life. I hated exercise.

For the first time in my life I actually look forward to going to the Y, and I love how I feel afterwards. So I completely relate to what you're saying.

I've thought about taking yoga. I'll be interested in what you think about it. Please keep us posted!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #495  

Quote:
Weird success today! I went bathing suit shopping and I feel fine. I mean I'm not like super excited happy but I'm also not a slobbering mess crying and puking from rage and shame. Shopping has been rather benign actually. I used to freak out if something didn't freak. Now I just think there's something wrong with the clothes, they're not made to fit my own particular body and it's not personal!

I was really not expecting this, I've been doing a lot of shopping lately and have been unexpectedly unfazed by it. I've found some beautiful clothes but plenty of misses too and it's all good. It feels great to be sane!
This is just wonderful news, Palestrina! It definitely indicates a completely different mindset, and a healthy one!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote