Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #316  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Did have problems sleeping again last night. I was so tired, and slept well until 130 then had a rough night. I did discover I can sit up in bed and read with the CPAP still on. However, I take it off to go to the bathroom of course, so it was off a lot. My hope was that when I got tired while reading I would just put the reader down and go to sleep, but I always had to go to the bathroom before I could settle down, so it didn't help a lot. Oh well, it was worth trying.
Otherwise all good here on my end
Pipsicle thanks for checking in. I would say you need to cut sweets out completely, but it sounds like you are not ready for that yet. I can see the thing with schools and your kid is VERY stressful. Is the dyslexia diagnosis formal? if so, the teacher and the school need to provide an individualized learning plan. This is essential, as the teacher has expectations not in line with the learning disability. SO I am sure your daughter can tell her what the steps to problem solving in math, but not write it. Some solutions are oral exams where she can tell the teacher, or using something like Dragon speech recognition software for her to speak the solution. Not providing this would be an issue. If your daughter is not formally diagnosed, these are reasons to pursue it. I certainly hope this is possible for you and her. How heartbreaking for her to excel at a skill and not be recognized for it. It isn't about "trying" or "applying herself" its about accommodation of her learning needs.
Hello to everyone else, and have a good weekend
Old 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm sorry you're still having trouble sleeping, Mad. According to my Fitbit, I get between 5-6 hours of sleep a night and it's broken, with some wake-ups in between. Last week I did have 2 nights that I slept 7 hours. Most of my life I got 7 hours of sleep and that was my normal. I can get by on 5 but feel better with 7. When I was single living in my apartment, around age 30, I slept straight through every night without waking up until my alarm went off. In fact, I had to have my clock on the other side of the room so I had to get up to turn it off because I would shut it off and fall back to sleep. I blame my poor sleep now in having another person in the bed. DH tosses and turns a lot, and has even hit me a few times in his sleep. (At least I hope he's doing it in his sleep!) Rarely he will get up before me and if he does I can sleep until 9 or 10 AM. There were times when he would work second shift. He would come home and open the garage door, come upstairs and get into bed without me even waking up. That's scary because someone could come in the house and into the bedroom without me waking. We have always had dogs who would bark if a strange came in, but they knew DH and didn't bark. It's surprising how many people have sleep problems. Sleep is a natural thing that our bodies need.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #318  

I didn't get on the scale yet, but FBG was 167. I ate M&Ms last night. I don't know why I think I can do that without consequences.

For 3 days, Thursday, Friday and Saturday I wore other shoes other than the ones with the arch support. Last evening my arch started hurting. So that tells me that I need to wear the ones with the arch supports around home but can wear other shoes to go somewhere once in a while. That's doable, rather than going to a foot doctor, getting custom orthotics or shots. I remember for years when I was working, I rotated my shoes, rarely wearing the same ones two days in a row, because I've always had foot issues. They are just worse now than they've been in the past.

Not too much pain today, just a bit in my right wrist.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #319  
Madeleine

Better night last night. Both nights of "good" sleep started with taking some benedryl, because I was stuffy from visiting a place with cats. I am allergic, but not so much I can never see my friends at home. I actually really like kitties and am sad we can't have one. DH and both DDs are also allergic.
However, it seems that it also helps me to sleep longer and better. I will work on my meditations and CBT activities this week, and discuss it all with my doctor when I see her on the 20th. I would rather do without meds for sleep, but I sure feel better with a sound and full night's sleep. I woke once, which is fine. I got back to sleep easily. So the effect lasted well. I am planning lots of walking today.
Today is Remembrance Day for us, and we will be going to the services at the Cenotaph. Before and after there will be some walking because we have to park well away, or you can never get out from the park areas. I also plan to take the neighbour's dog for a trail walk later.
My fasting didn't end so well. I was craving sugar a LOT on Friday and Saturday, and I didn't plan to eat yesterday, but wound up eating last night. I think I have been pushing to hard to break this plateau, and my body wants to eat more. So I will stand down a little, and eat 2 MAD this week, and maybe just do a 36 hr fast at some point. Will discuss with DH, and maybe try doing breakfast and lunch eating instead of lunch and supper, if he is game.

Carol, its good to figure out how the feet are reacting to different footwear. DH is still working on his plantar fasciitis and having issues. No fun. Having pain really makes it hard to take good care of yourself in other ways. Hope today is a bit better for you. I have been so grateful that most of my pain is gone since going off the gluten. Unexpected side effect, and nice to have it gone. Even the thumbs are doing better now that I rarely text on my phone. It allows me more activity and positive energy, even with some difficulties sleeping.
Your pain is also so difficult to pinpoint, moving around the body and not really arthritis like.

Still snowy here, time to break out the winter clothes like parkas etc. Just wearing an extra layer under my fall jacket will not cut it standing in the cold today at the cenotaph.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #320  

Scale was back to 199 today, but that was after a couple cups of coffee and a shower, and no visit to the bathroom, which I feel could account for the lb. Not concerned, except for the fact that I am only 1 lb away from 200, which I said would never happen again. Never say never.

I read an interesting article today about fasting and autophagy. A woman on the LC forum made a comment that autophagy can occur with very low calorie eating as well as with total fasting. She was referring to JUDDD I think, where you eat 500 cals or less every other day. That is what caused me to do the search online. This does not replace long term fasting which is best, but makes it possible for people like me who cannot fit longer fasts into their lifestyle. This also explains a friend of DH who was very big, 400 lbs at least, and had weight loss surgery. He had no loose skin at all. I asked him if he had skin removal and he said he didn't need it. I believe he ate really low calorie. The first time I saw him after the surgery he looked so thin, pale and frail that he looked awful as if he had lost way too much weight. He eventually filled out a bit and looks great. His wife is always on a diet and does not cook, so food is not readily available to him. I think he ate low calorie and not very often and that caused the autophagy. So here is the article.

How to Activate Autophagy Without Fasting - Siim Land
Old 11-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

No real news here. FBS 146 and weight 220.2. My stomach was out of whack last night too so I ended trying to eat something to ease, but not much helped. I feel really dull today. Not sure what is going on. DH FBS is worse than ever and he won't believe that some of the things he is eating is causing it. Also he keeps forgetting to take the new GOLO pills. They can't help him if he doesn't take them. That bothers me, but I don't think that what is making me feel like I do. I'm wondering if maybe my low carb cooking didn't help him more than I thought it did. I may have to go back to it for him and just see. I am thinking more in line of CAD again for me as I think the way I ate on it was good for him as well. Still can have some of the healthy grains and have a plan. It also helped me stay with 5:19 IF. I make tomorrow a starting point for it and see how he and I do on it.

I've already had oats for breakfast so can't start CAD today so today I'm fixing leftover chilli for lunch for DH and I'm going to eat some of the lentil soup I made yesterday. I hope I can get over this horrible feeling and stomach issues I've been having.

Y'all have a great day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-11-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #322  

We went out for dinner and I ordered a turkey chef salad. That is unusual, but this restaurant has it and it's fresh roasted turkey, shredded, on top of the salad. I got full really fast and had to bring half of it home. I don't know why. I had breakfast of a bacon and egg biscuit from McDonald's, no lunch, but 2 slices of cheese for a little snack around lunch time. I sure hope I get farther away from 200.

Trish, I don't know why your DH's FBG is so high. I get that occasionally, too, and it's usually from something I shouldn't have been eating. I hope he can bring it back down. Maybe he needs you to remind him to take the Golo. I hope your stomach feels better too.

The restaurant we went to is the one where the server passed away. They said she had had pneumonia and had stopped in on Friday to tell them she was coming back to work, but it never happened. She just passed in her sleep, so maybe she wasn't really over the pneumonia. So sad.

My DGS and his parents were here today for a while. He's growing up so fast and is on the honor roll at school. He's a good boy, and I hope he stays that way. You never know what they are going to do when they get out among their friends.

Have a good evening.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #323  

Carol Sue The turkey chef salad sounds good. I would enjoy something like that. When I first married DH, I ate a lot of chef salads when we ate out. Maybe that is why it was so easy to lose so much weight so quickly back then. Maybe I should start doing that again.

I am feeling better right now. I haven't had anything to eat since 5:30. I did have a salad and lentil soup for lunch. I wasn't in the mood for a salad, but had to make one for DH and decided that I needed to eat one. I took some of the lentils out of the soup and put them in the salad before heating up the soup.

DH decided to try taking the Victoza again. He is going to stop the farxiga and take the shot since he has it and see if it will bring it down. I told him he probably shouldn't take the GOLO pills with it but he wants to take them any way so I told him to be very careful and watch to be sure his bs doesn't go too low.

Speaking of going too low, it turns out the reason I was feeling so bad earlier when I wrote was that my blood sugar must have gone too low. I set for a while trying to wait out the feeling and when DH asked me what we were going to eat, I realized that I was beginning to feel better. When I checked my bs before lunch, it was 104 which made me realize that it must have gone too low and my liver had dumped some insulin and caused me to start feeling a little better. Funny thing is that it never occurred to me that my bs could have gone too low too fast. It had been 146 this morning and I'm not used to it going down that fast so I will have to watch that more myself.

I think I'm not getting my morning low FBS because if I sleep past 8:30, I miss the low. So I figure with it going so low before lunch then I think I'm actually doing ok.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #324  

Ŵt 197 FBG 117 .I think the reason my results are good is because i was so cold last night that I laid down all bundled up around 7 and fell asleep til 11 so no eating or drinking. I just took my meds and went to bed. I thought I would have trouble sleeping but I slept good again and feel so refreshed. I really hope I can stay on plan today.

Trish I think your blood sugar went down fast and that gave you the symptoms not a low. And your liver dumped glucose not insulin. Insulin comes from your pancreas when you eat.I know you know what you meant but I wouldnt want a lurker to misunderstand.

Since I feel so good today I want to get some cleaning done and clothes purged.I hope DH doesn't want me to go anywhere. I'm getting hungry and that's when my trouble starts. I hope the coffee and activity stops the hunger. I would love to continue this good fast a little longer.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #325  
Madeleine

I slept well again last night too. I am not weighing in for a few days, doing the maintenance thing to see how I do. I had bought some ice cream a few days ago. I wanted a tiny bit. However, it can't be in the house. I will ask DH to eat it out of my sight. Then maybe put it in the community freezer. He can have alcohol in the house and not drink. I have always told him that if he is struggling I will get rid of it, even pour it down the sink. So I think he will get the ice cream out. I am too addicted to have it around and just have a little now and then. Just not there yet, if ever.
Tonight I have the repeat sleep study. I will take a full benedryl (have just had 1/2 the last two nights. ) and hope to sleep decently. Otherwise things are good. Planning beef short ribs for supper tonight, I will have to look up recipes. Going for a walk soon. Its nice and cold here. But not expecting more snow.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #326  

Mad, I have never taken anything to help with sleep when I go for a sleep study. I should probably have asked about it, but I thought it would not give them a true picture. I have had 2 sleep studies and don't feel that I slept for either one.

DH wanted to buy Klondike bars (ice cream covered in chocolate shell) but we passed the store and didn't want to go back. They are my biggest weakness. I can pass up ice cream, but if he buys the Klondike bars I will eat 3 of them as soon as we bring them home. Blood sugar goes sky high.

Trish, I know that your DH is like mine, loving the carbs and I don't think I could get DH to stop or cut back because he does not feel they are bad for him. He gets a little belly but is not really overweight. But I think with your DH's blood sugar issues you should try to gently steer him away from some of the foods. Maybe you could just put more emphasis on the healthier foods and less on the carbs. Did he ever eat pork rinds? I wonder if that would be a snack item that would interest him in place of others. I buy them occasionally to try to get myself to stay away from the potato chips, but DH will dig into them, then keep saying how terrible they are. I tell him not to eat them if he doesn't like them, but he does anyway. He did the same thing when I bought pecans. He said he didn't like them, then started feeding them to the chipmunk out back. I guess if he didn't like them he figured he would get rid of them.

Yesterday, when we went out to eat, DH was ordering an Angus burger. If you don't order fries with it they give you potato chips, but if you order fries, they take away the chips. DH wanted fries but still wanted the chips so I ordered the fries with my salad so he could eat both them AND the chips. Their fries are called "pub fries" and have some type of coating on them. Not seasoning. I don't know what it is, but they are really good.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-12-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #327  

Fatmad Glad you are getting some good sleep at night. Ice cream isn't a problem for me. Once in a while I want the NSA ice cream bars DH buys but not everyday.

Carol Sue Yes I did mean glucose and thanks for correcting for the lurkers. I really think it came on because I drank a strong cup of oolong tea. I'm not sure what oolong tea does but it has turned so cold here so quickly for us that I needed something to help warm me up. I don't think it was a genuine hypoglycemia attack as much as it was just a quick change. I just set own and relaxed for a few minutes and actually wanted to go to sleep and probably would have if DH hadn't been so hungry.

DH FBs was 165 this morning although he says he isn't going to take the Victoza any more. He was up all night he was so miserable. I don't think he will have too as long as I cook like I was cooking before I decided to add more carbs to our eating plan and remembers to take the GOLO pills. It was working before. I have been trying to work in some of the processed type foods he likes into our woe and I will go back to eating them less often.

I'm back on CAD/IF this morning. He eats his cauliflower before bed and it actually is a low carb meal as long as he doesn't add any sweets to it. I know he is going to eat his snacks, but as long as they are minimal he shouldn't have any problem controlling his bs as long as I cook the healthier foods. I will do this to help him and of course it will help me as well.

FBS was back down to 131 and weight was up one lb to 221.2, but I weighed an hr earlier so no big deal. Since starting back on CAD/IF today I am going to make Monday's my WI day and try to get up at the same time each week. Hopefully this will keep me from going nuts on the weekend. I will get my grains etc at the CAD RM. I will also keep my eating hrs at 5 to 6 hrs giving me an 18 to 19 hr fast. This will also help get me through the holidays. I did CAD one time before during the holidays and actually lost weight so I'll see how things go this time.

Baby sister called me this morning and ready to talk. She and DH are doing very well and hope to be settled in here by the end of the year. We decided for all of us to do our own thing this year for Thanksgiving. Still don't know about getting Daddy to my nieces.

Y'all have a blessed day.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #328  

Trish, you should check the NSA ice cream bars. I checked the NSA Klondike bars and they have 7gm of sugar and 21 gm of carb. So much for a low carb treat!!

I used to eat a lot of cauliflower for dinner when I was single and lived alone. That was when it came in the frozen square boxes and I would eat a box a night. I was thin then and didn't have diabetes, but I didn't eat many carbs then either.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #329  

Carol Sue When we were living in SC, DH and I were in a Walmart buying what was supposed to be a low calorie ice cream and I decided to check the calories and compare it to a regular ice cream and was shocked to see that the regular was actually less calories and healthier than the diet. I probably should be more alert on these things more and more.

DH and I love Klondike and got on a Klondike ice cream kick at one time and we had to finally make the decision NOT to ever buy them again. We don't even look at them any more. I learned a lot of this when doing WW because they allowed and advertised certain foods that were supposed to be low calorie and healthier, but I found that if I checked the calories content that sometimes they were ridiculously high.

My first day back on CAD/IF has gone very well. I haven't had any problems staying OP. I told DS today that I didn't know why but I just don't want to do anything right now. She was surprised that I'm not exercising any more because she said I had been so faithful to it in the past. But when you don't feel like doing anything it is hard to make yourself do it. It is kind of a Catch 22 thing. So I finally did 20 minutes on the recumbent bike this evening. We had a terrible thunderstorm last night and it knocked out wifi off so I couldn't get on line. I wasn't sure how to reboost this system so I got down on the floor to try to figure it out because it is under a table. I had a very difficult time getting up but I was determined to figure out how to get up. I didn't want to sit on the floor till DH got up. It made me realize that I have got to get back to faithfully exercising.

So Day 1 is behind me. It is terribly cold here right now. We are going to go see Daddy tomorrow afternoon. I never talked to him because his phone must be turned off. We will visit a while tomorrow and then he has the Thanksgiving dinner at the facility tomorrow night with my baby sister and her DH.

Pipsicle I hope you are doing okay. Be patient with yourself as you have a lot on your plate right now which is very stressful. It is so difficult when our children are having problems. I hope you can get help for your DD.
Hope everyone has a nights rest good tonight.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #330  

Today I gathered up a lot of stuff for Goodwill. Clothes curtains and a bathroom rug. I can't wait to get rid of that stuff. I have more to go through. I used to switch curtains around to give the house a new look but no more. Its staying the way it is.

I am going to get back to exercising after TG. I have enough to do now.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-12-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Closed Thread