Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I really like romaine lettuce but quit buying it. This is the third time it has been on recall this year. I don't know what they're doing to it. Last time I read something about what is causing this but I forget what they said.

I am working toward eating low carb, but if the banana is going to keep me from getting the leg cramps I will eat it. I am not that strict with it. To me, eating low carb means eliminating or limiting things like sugar, bread, pasta, rice. I know fruit is not low carb but the banana is the only fruit I eat. I try to buy the smallest bananas they have or I eat half. I am also trying to drink more water, thinking that dehydration could be causing the leg cramps.

When I went to pick up my new meds I asked to speak to the pharmacist. She was so nice. I asked her about the Glimiperide....how long it continues to lower blood sugar after I take it. I told her how I was worried the other night when it was 85 at bedtime. She told me it is meant to work around the clock, but it peaks at 5-6 hours after you take it and then weakens as time goes on. So if I take it around 4 at dinner, it should be starting to weaken around 10, and I should be OK overnight. I have always heard that if you have a question about your meds, ask a pharmacist, not a doctor. Tomorrow I will start my water pill. I hope I don't have problems with it. After I get off here I will look it up on line and see what it has to say.

I made pumpkin roll for DH this evening. It is cooling, and the filling is ready to be put in it. First thing tomorrow I will bake 4 pumpkin pies. Then I will clean the rest of the day. I hope DH doesn't think of somewhere to go. I need to stay home and concentrate on getting things ready for TG. Before I go to bed I want to have the vegetables all ready for the stuffing . I want to get the turkey in the over by 10AM. My step daughter just told us they want to go to Target at 5PM on Thanksgiving to try to get a TV on a Black Friday deal. We told her that they usually don't have a lot of the advertised items and you have to be there first thing. But they want it, so it looks like they will be eating dinner and then running out the door. LOL Whatever. We are used to her and her shenanigans. The sooner they leave the sooner I can relax.

I plan on starting back to my exercising on Friday. I hope I follow through. I really need to do this.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I saw that about the romaine lettuce. I still have some I bought a few weeks ago and almost bought some more yesterday but changed my mind, because I did have one left. I'm not sure what I will use for my salads. I like iceberg but don't eat a lot of it because MIL#2 told me it can be hard on the stomach. I don't have the stomach problems any more but don't want it either. Glad you found out how the Glimiperide works.

You sound as energetic about this TG as I do. I hope I will feel better after we get through with Daddy's appointment tomorrow. I hope we get some good news from Daddy's tests, but not sure what we will learn since the therapist that usually when you lose the range of motion you can't get it back. However, the doctor may feel differently. So we will know tomorrow. Even if something could be corrected with surgery, I don't think they would do it at his age.

My stayed with my 5 hr window today. I did get hungry tonight, but I decided to drink a diet drink. I don't drink one everyday, but it is nice to have it to take the edge off of the hunger. Since I have to leave tomorrow for Daddy's appointment at 2:40 pm, I will wait till noon to eat breakfast so I can stay within the 5 hr window tomorrow as well. Writing down what I eat, exercise etc the way I am now is really helping me stay OP. Tomorrow might even be a low carbish type day. I will have an omelet around noon and then perhaps make myself a chicken salad when I get back home.

DS told me the other day that her SIL will graduate from the electrician school he is taking next summer and she thinks they will move. She thinks they will move to OK if he can get a job close to where her sister lives. So this will be a special time for us to have TG at her house. I doubt they will come home for holidays since her sister is the manager of a second hand bookstore and only gets the one day off. She hasn't been able to come back to TX for holidays for years. Kids do grow up and move away. DS says she is trying to start psyching herself up for them to leave. So I will enjoy the time with her TG. She is like a daughter to me and we will miss them if they do move. Of course, if they stay in TX, they will probably alternate their time between coming here and to her DH family like they do now. We have them for TG and they are supposed to go to her Hubby's grandparents for Christmas.

We cleaned up the living room and put our little tree up. I love our little tree. DH had it when we married and it is such an unusual fiberoptic tree with fruit ornaments. I've never seen another like it. He bought it after his previous wife died. We put little blinking lights on it and a star on top and it is so easy because DH puts it in black trash bags and we just have to take it out and straighten the star and plug turn it on.

I'm doing so well with my eating and my exercise and I certainly hope I keep it up. Doing a CAD like plan, I won't feel like I'm off TG because that will just be a RM type of meal which will technically still be OP.

Going to bed and hoping I can sleep. Sometimes I don't sleep too well when I am going somewhere the next day. Good night.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #378  

Wt 199 FBG 116 I can't believe I'm back up to 199. I didn't think I did that bad yesterday, but it could be that I'm not having regular bowel movements. But I'm very happy with my FBG. Weight is secondary for me.

Trish, I agree that you are doing very well. It's great that you are able to stick with your 5 hr window.

I'm sorry to hear that they can't be more optimistic with your Dad's issues. At least they are being up front with you and not giving you false hopes. If he does get some improvement, then that will be great. Our bodies just reach a point where they don't work like they used to.

Last night I drank 2 bottles of water in the evening, and I didn't have any leg cramps. I also slept straight through until 7AM without a bathroom break. That really surprised me. I took Tylenol, Extra Strength, but not Arthritis Formula. So I am assuming that the leg cramps were because I was dehydrated, and that could have been why my weight went up, I am no longer dehydrated. I have to start my water pill this morning and I dread it. I read a lot about it online and I saw that it is less potent than Lasix, but it lowers systolic blood pressure better and systolic is my issue. This might have been the issue all along and my cardiologist missed it. I hate to think that he was wrong about anything, because I like him so much.

I don't think my step children would ever move away from this area. My step son doesn't even like to go on vacation. They lived in California for a couple years with their mother when they were younger and they hated it and begged to come back to PA. That's how they ended up living with DH. So they wanted to leave the land of sunshine (and fires) to come back to snow and rain. LOL My SIL is a volunteer fireman at our firehall. He started this when he was 16 years old, and it's his life. He has taken so many classes on fire fighting and hazardous materials and that helped him get his new job. He is now Fire Chief and he has to live within 10 miles of the firehall, so they would never move either. He actually turned down a good job because it required him to move out of the area. So I guess they are here to stay. There are a lot of people who rarely see their children and don't get to see their grandchildren grow up.

My brother moved out of the area for a job, but I still live within 5 miles of where I grew up. I would have liked to move around and see more of the country, but that isn't how my life unfolded.

I guess it's time to start the pumpkin pies.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #379  

Carol Sue I'm not sure what we do to cause such fluctuations with our weight and FBS. My weight dropped ba5ck down to 217.8 this morning, but my FBS was 154. I have been doing good with my eating and staying within 5 to 6 hr window and even ate less carbs yesterday than usual. This is all so confusing, but I am not giving up. This is where I always change things, but I think that is what happens with me so I'm going to keep doing what I am doing.

I am going to eat my breakfast a little later today trying to fit into a 5 to 6 hr eating window. I will come home and either have a chicken salad or a sausage stir-fry. I wasn't going to exercise on the bike today but I felt the urge to do it so I just went with it and got another 20 minutes on it. We are supposed to be at my nieces tomorrow at 1 so I think I will fast and make tomorrow a 1 meal day. I just want to try to keep as much of this 217.8 loss as possible.

I'm glad you got some rest last night. I am sleeping better too. I saw fatmad say she takes one Tylenol before bed so I decided to try just taking the one last night and it worked fine. I woke up when DH came to bed fussing about it being cold since I had the ceiling fan on but I went right back to sleep and slept until I got up to go to the bathroom around 5 and went back to bed and right back to sleep and woke up at 7ish ready to get up. I really like getting up between 7 & 7:30 so I can get more done before DH gets up.

I'm headed out in a bit. I didn't want to go to the store, but thinking about going to get some drinks to take to my nieces tomorrow as well as here at the house although I don't think the Walmart over there has my Cherry Vanilla diet Dr. Pepper so may just forget it. DH has 2 prescriptions to pick up sometime this weekend and I can get them then. I'll just give DS some money on the drinks they always bring.

You have fun cooking. I love pumpkin pie and DS said she got one because BIL and I both like it. So I will have what my Mama called a "sliver" of pumpkin & pecan and cheesecake tomorrow. And then I will have three days before Monday's WI to undo any damage done tomorrow with all those carbs.

BBL
Old 11-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #380  

I have to tell you the stupid thing I did. I mixed the filling for the pumpkin pie, poured it into the pie pan and then realized I didn't put the pie crust in. It sure didn't look right. I had to pour the filling back into the bowl and wash the pie pan. I made 2 pies in throw-away pie pans for my step-daughter to take home. She will take one probably. They will get eaten by someone. LOL The crust got too dark on those for some reason. For the main pies we eat at the meal, I moved the rack in the oven. I don't know if that made a difference but the crust is perfect on those. DH already ate half of his pumpkin roll.

I think that it's hormones that cause the weight fluctuations, and probably also the blood sugar. Whether or not you have a bowel movement, how much liquid you drank, how much water you are retaining. The nurse at cardiac rehab always told me to drink a lot of water because it dilutes the sugar in the blood and helps you to excrete it. One thing I know is the less I eat in the evening the lower my FBG. Last night DH wanted spaghetti. I ate a small portion of pasta and a lot of meatballs, and took my Glimiperide. Still, my blood sugar was 200 at bedtime. I trusted the meds and my blood sugar went down nicely during the night to get the 116. Now I'm thinking that it takes the Glimiperide a couple hours for it to start working as is gradually increases to the peak at 5-6 hours. I think what the pharmacist explained to me is called the half life. The period of time when the drug starts to leave your body. It would probably be best for me to take it an hour or two before I start eating to give it time to start working. I'm going to try to start doing that. I will start with 1 hour before and go from there. I will figure it out. No one tells you these things when you are prescribed the meds. I remember when I was first diagnosed in the hospital. A woman came in and gave me a meter and a little notebook. She told me to test my blood sugar and write the number down in the little notebook. That was it. She didn't explain how to know if the number was good or bad or what to do if it was bad, or what to do with the little notebook. I don't record my readings, and my doctor never asks to see it. Maybe if I was going to an Endo, they would. When the visiting nurse came the day I came home, I had her show me how to test. They didn't even show me that. And most of what I learned about diabetes I learned online or in books from the library. I remember asking a woman at work what I should do if my blood sugar is too high. She told me to exercise. That was why she went out for a walk each day at lunch time.

I'm getting too chatty! I need to get back to my TG prep and clean up.

BBL
Old 11-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #381  

Carol Sue Thanks for the chuckle. That sounds like something I would do. I had a hard time the other day to walk by the baking stuff. I am so used to baking pies etc for TG. It seems strange to me not to bake. I would make the German chocolate cake if baby sisters boys and my DGS was going to be there, but I don't want to bring home what no one eats and DH doesn't like cake of any kind.

I was pretty much the same way as you when I was diagnosed with diabetes. Doctor handed me the diet that the ADA gives out and said, I have to give this to you because it is required for me to. I can't tell you it will work, but you will figure it out. He did tell me that they had decided that fat was the problem and were telling people to cut back on fat. I asked him how much you could cut back and he said that they didn't know yet. Then he said, "But you will figure it out". He had been my Mama and Daddy's doctor for a number of years and Mama figured out how to control her cholesterol without meds so I guess he could tell that I was like her. Any way he then sent me on my way with a meter and meds. I went on the diet & exercised and within a week, I was off the meds. I think I learned how to check my bs from DD because she was a nurse at the local VA hospital and was able to show me how to do it. She was my cheerleader back then too. So was my MIL back then. She bought the Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal plan for me and she and her sister became my cheerleaders. I don't really have that support any more. Strange how those things change when our loved ones pass away.

Years later when my bs became a problem again, I started reading and learning more about it on my own. One thing I did know was that the ADA diet was really bad news because I knew that I would die if I ate 11 starches a die. So I was pretty much on my own. About that time I read about CAD and went on it for a number of years. I was never 100% on it back then, but what I did do worked. It took me years to lose the weight and never got down to my goal weight, but I did pretty good. I did pretty good years later on Atkins too. I've just never been able to do VLC any more.

Maybe I should go low fat again, I don't know. I don't use a lot of fat any way but I do try to use healthy fats when I do. I use the spray to cook my eggs and even spray Olive oil on my toast when I eat it. I use very little fat in my veggies, but most of the time I spray the olive oil on them.

Speaking of starchy veggie/foods, I've decided that I am going to do what I read in that book I have called LC for Dummies and go back to keeping my starchy carbs to 5 or less and count the carbs in them. I'm not going to count the veggie carbs as they are usually so minimal. But I think I need to keep up with the starchy carbs and try to keep them between 45 and 70 grams. This sheet I am tracking my food on has a place on it to show how many carbs you have at each meal and snack. So I decided it might be good to keep up with it that way. Carol Sue, she is the one I read who made her patients count the carbs in bananas because she said if she didn't do that most people will eat nothing but bananas for their fruit.

I have to get ready to leave. I want to go get the mail before I leave so I don't have to do that when I leave the neurologist office. I hat going over there because it is a bad place getting in and out of. I think the person who designed that intersection with all the cut offs must have been drunk when he designed it. I think they could have done a better job. LOL Plus I want to get home before everybody gets on the road to travel for the holiday.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #382  

One of my pies isn't already half gone. That's why I make 4..I used to tell him he wasn't allowed to have it that it was for company so everyone is happy if I just make extra. I browned my sausage for the sausage cornbread dressing. I am trying a small casserole of that again. Last time I was the only one who ate it but maybe they will try it. Now I'm going to chop the stuffing veggies. I will get up early and start the birds. I will be taking Tylenol tonight to make sure I sleep. Luckily no pain today and I hope not tomorrow. My water pill was very mild compared to Lasix. Thank God!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #383  

Carol Sue I am curious what the name of your fluid pill is. The one I take doesn't work if I don't need it. I really don't know how that works, but I do find it interesting. I don't think it will dehydrate me like Lasix would.

Daddy has carpel tunnel syndrome and shoulder problems. The doctor ordered occupational therapy for his shoulders and his hands. He said he could send him to a hand surgeon if he wanted to, but Daddy said no. Nothing was said about his legs. We go back only if we need to go for some reason.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #384  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Oh Carol: hearing about your night made me want to laugh, except for the worry about you.
I think you do need to do something to help with the charley horse. I think with the diuretics you should consider magnesium citrate supplements. That and make sure you are salting food to taste so that you are not depleted by the meds.
I did a stupid thing tonight. I made DH an apple crisp on the weekend, and it wasn't finished, so I help finish it, with ice cream tonight. And I was doing so well. Well its all out of the house now!. And off to bed before I can eat any more.
Low carb is not as easy as it sounds. All week I have resisted those treats, but I just could not do it any longer. That was in spite of making a good supper of stir fried left-over steak, with snow peas and red pepper. Then i caved. There is so much around for treats, if they were not here I would be fine.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
Good night friends
Old 11-22-2018, 02:17 AM   #385  

I'm headed to bed very late, but check FB before going to bed and so thrilled that my nephew is going to get Daddy tomorrow and take him to his ex-wife's for TG with them and their kids, but he said they will come to my nieces before they go to Killeen. I am so happy that he will get to be with us and them. Great news. Now I've got to go to bed so I can get up and call Daddy and maybe the nursing station to tell them to be sure and have him clean and dressed nice. It will be a nice day after all.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #386  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, that's great news to have your father with you and the family for TG. How lovely. It sounds like this turn of events has really made your day.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the USA

I am please to say it looks like the weight is settling at 158. Thats down two, and I hope for more soon. Maybe I have finally broken the plateau. In spite of my going off plan last night.
I will get back to normal today.
Trying to decide about starting a fast today or tomorrow. If I am eating today, I had better get started on making my salad.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #387  

Wt back to 196.5 FBG 92

Woke up at 1 AM to go to the bathroom and blood sugar was 59. Yikes! Sucked on a piece of hard candy and went back to bed. 92 when I got up again.

Trish, my water pill is HCTZ. I can't spell the big long name of it, but it ends in diazide. It is primarily for HBP.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the US, and Mad, have a nice day. You already had Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #388  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am hoping to make it through the day making good choices but I am having trouble managing my emotions. We traveled to visit my hubby's family and are staying in a rental house with his siblings and SOs. They all traveled too. My poor kiddo is the only kid. His family are good people and generally nice. However, they have very strong personalities. My hubby's personality changes quite a bit when we are around them. He is always seeking their approval. Our daughter and I are second class citizens during times like this.

Any efforts I make at conversation end pretty quickly. I like to hear family stories and talk of lighter subject like recent movies. They prefer talk of politics, economics and religion. Mostly it is a diatribe about how crappy Americans are (brother in law is German) and the world is going to **** in a hand basket. BIL is brilliant and always working to show he is the smartest in the room. I was having a minor issue logging on to the network. He told me I need a new computer and mocked the things I was doing to troubleshoot the issue.

Long story short, I use food to manage my way through these events but I am out of my tasty snacks. Just trying to find a way to release these feelings so I don't overeat at the TG meal.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by Pipsicle; 11-22-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #389  

fatmad Awesome!!! 158 lbs. I would be so happy if I could ever see 158 again. You have done so well and you have done it "healthy". Great girl. Enjoy your day.

Carol Sue I figure by the time I write this you are already receiving guests or in the swing of things. I hope you are pain free and having a great day.

I wonder if the bp pill and getting rid of access fluid is bringing the bs down. I thought of that because some of the diabetic meds like Farxiga make you pee a lot. I wish I could take it but with my tendency of yeast infections makes me an unfit candidate for those meds. Weight back down to 196.5 is a good result of the bp med too. You will probably start dropping weight now.

I am going to work very hard to eat better after today to get my bs down, but if I can't get my FBS low enough, I am going to talk to the doctor about taking a medication. I got my A1c down to 5.9 with Trulicity but it is too expensive to take and would put me in the GAP too soon. However, I am going to try eating less carbs starting tomorrow. I know I could do it with Atkins but I would have to really work at wrapping my mind around that. The best thing for me to do is work at fasting more and work at keeping the carbs under 70g. Tomorrow should be a good time to start that since I will have fasted 20 hrs by the time I eat TG dinner.

I woke up at 7 to call Daddy early because I know he gets up around 7 and then roams the hallway. That man must fall out of bed and roll. LOL!!! I tried to call till 8 and finally decided to go take a shower and get ready except for the clothes I will wear to nieces. I finally got him at 9 am. He had been up all that time roaming the halls.

I told him that my nephew had tried to call him for days and that he is going to go pick him up today and take him to his ex-wife's to be with their kids. She still comes to family things. They all used to live with Daddy when they were married. I could tell he was thrilled. DS thought he should just take Daddy to his ex-wife's place and not try to take Daddy to 2 places because Daddy will get tired. So I called nephew and it was decided he is going to just take him to be with them. So we won't see him today. I just so appreciative that he doesn't have to spend the holiday by himself.in the nursing home feeling left out of everything. He says he doesn't care but I know him better than that. When I called to tell him he was just going to Killeen he was as happy as he could be. I'm sure nephew's ex-wife's parrents will be there and Daddy and her Dad are both Veterans and are good friends. They were active in VFW together. So he will really enjoy being with all of them. At least DS and I can relax and enjoy being with her DD and DSIL and his Mom without feeling bad about him being in a nursing facility feeling alone .

This is the easiest TG I've ever been a part of. I've just got to remember to take the veggie tray and butter I am taking. The rolls will have to be cooked there and I just have to open a couple of cans of cranberry sauce.

My weight was the same today and FBS was 143. I hope fasting and making this a 1 meal day will keep me from messing anything up.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all lurkers. Have a great one.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #390  

Back home in carb overload watching the Dallas football game. The only thing I brought home was brussel sprouts and turkey. I did bring home some pumpkin pie that I will probably throw out because I am trying not to eat anything else tonight. I'll fast until 9 am and have some scrambled eggs before going to the beauty shop.
Closed Thread