Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #136  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw160/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: checking in from the Isle of Skye. Have had internet issues, and not so much down time, so this is the first time in a while to check in and see what's happening.
I am doing pretty well. We bought food at the grocers and ate in last night, everyone having something a bit different. I have been worried about getting enough fat, and DD wanted more veggies of a certain type, DH wanted pasta. LOL, it was all fine.
DD was in a snit this morning, the village cafe was not open, and we had problems finding a place with coffee. She will NOT drink instant, and didn't buy coffee not knowing what kind of coffee maker was here. I hope we can figure something out for tomorrow morning.
We were ok after she finally got coffee, but I suspect we are at the hump day of travelling together and she is a little tired of us, but not sad that we will be parting yet.
Today she and I hiked a couple of hours over fairly rough terrain, (look up the Quiraing Walk if you want to see what we did). We are hoping to do Ben Nevis on Friday, but not sure if that will work.
The weather has been better than expected, we expected colder and wetter, and while its not exactly balmy, it has not been as cold as expected, and there has been more sun and less rain than we planned for. We packed all sorts of rain gear and cold weather clothing and we have not needed some things at all yet.
I have not been sleeping very well. Last night I took a benedryl, I was so tired and grumpy but not able to sleep, and then slept well. Maybe that will turn things around.
I did get a gluten reaction one day. We were touring a distillery and when we were viewing the toasted barley, we were encouraged to try it, I put 3 pieces into my mouth without thinking. Two hours lated the digestive issues started. I forgot about barley, not something we eat often. And of course, once it is distilled into whiskey, its not an issue. But the barley of course is why I must not drink beer any longer.

Carol: I'm sorry your pain is back. It is so hard to tell what is up with food. I think if you really think food is an issue, an elimination diet is the only way to find out. Its difficult, but I am sure I never would have figured out the gluten issues without doing that. It was not in my mind at all, and I would not have believed it if someone had suggested it.
Unfortunately, at a certain age or with family history, sometimes its just arthritis. With my hands, thats it, thats all, no food seems to make them better or worse. Only texting on the cell phone seems to worsen it, so I am mostly emailing people these days. They think I'm crazy when I tell them that texting is painful though.

Trish: so glad you are feeling your way into a WOE that can work for you. I have mostly stuck to 2MAD, but having lots of carbs in alcohol, but thats holidays for you.

Pipsicle, there are certainly some people who have difficulty losing weight, even with 2MAD, longer fasts, etc. I was able to do it, even with some carbs, but some people have to get hardcore into fasting or Keto before things budge. But if your blood sugars are better, thats great. I like your pants being your measuring tape, so true. That is one thing that I have that helps, I am wearing slacks that were tight before, and fit fine or even a little loose now. One set of nylon pull up slacks are still size 14 they are a little loose. I wore them for hiking today, because it was too warm for wearing splash pants over anything, and jeans would not dry well. These nylon ones are stretchy, and when they got wet, the dried very nicely, and I have some of the same in 12s now. (I get these from costco, I had some 16s that I got rid off too) so if they get wrecked I will leave them behind in the trash with no problem. But the jeans are 12s that I quit wearing a few years ago, getting into them again was a great victory, and wearing them so comfortably now if lovely.

Have a good night everyone. ttfn
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 217/193/175

Height: 5'3

Mad, I don't want to do an elimination diet per se, because there are not many things that I eat on a regular basis except for eggs and vegetables. I have already started to eliminate the whites most days. I think I will start to keep a notebook where I record what I eat each day and where my pain level is. When I get pain, I will look back to a couple days before and see if I can see a pattern in what I ate. It could also be something not food related at all.

The pain in my hands is not always in the same place. My fingers rarely hurt, but right now my rings feel tight and my fingers feel puffy when I try to make a fist. My pain can be across the top of my hand, across the bones that make up the hand. Recently it has been in my right wrist, but along the outside, above and below the wrist bone that protrudes. One time the bone appeared to be very swollen. That is helped by compression.

I noticed lately that my calf muscles seem to be getting firmer, even though I'm not exercising. That could be because of the shoes I've been wearing as they have a bit of elevation in the heel that I'm not accustomed to. They don't hurt, but I do get some cramping in my calves and feet at night. I also seem to have muscle pain in the front of my thighs, right above my knees. I sometimes wonder if the muscle pain could be from my statins, but I've taken them for years with no pain.

This all started with foot pain. I seldom have that now, with taking the Turmeric and wearing the shoes I'm wearing. I want to try different shoes now and then, but not when I'm going to be somewhere for a longer time without having these shoes in the car, available if necessary.

I also get a bit of pain in my right ankle. I will be walking along and it will stab, making me feel that I might fall.

I don't know what a doctor would think of all this. When I went to the doctor with the foot pain he referred me to a foot doctor. I didn't go, because then all the other pain started, and it just seems to keep moving from one place to the other. Once starts to feel better then the other one starts up.

I will say that rarely now is the pain debilitating, the way it was a few times when it first started. And some days, like yesterday, and totally pain free!

I'm glad you're enjoying your vacation and the time with your DD.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #138  

Mad So glad to hear from you and glad you are having a great time. Sounds like you are having some good quality time with DD. Sorry to hear the barley issue. It is so hard sometime to figure out or remember when we can or can't eat certain things. Probably the worse is when one slips up on us. I'm sure the hikes and all the walking are helping too. I know exactly how your DD feels about her coffee. I would be the same way and I don't like instant either. My Mama called always said she didn't want the fake stuff. LOL!! However, I might have had to drink it any way.

Carol Sue I don't like taking a lot of supplements any more either and there is no way I can get DH to take another one. So I am trying to learn which nutrients are easy to get from food and which ones are better or okay from supplements. I know I need magnesium but I just can't take a pill because of the potty issues, but I seem to be able to do fine with it in foods. I read on a nutrition article that it is better to get it from food. I'm glad to hear that and will be eating those foods again.

I was hungry for eggs and bacon this morning so I did have it with the MG toast and mixed my 1/2 banana with half serving of Greek yogurt and chia seeds. I forgot to do the boiled egg in the ACV yesterday but will try to remember to do it for tomorrow. I need to learn how to have the fiber with less grains because I just don't like this stuffed feeling. I'm going to get some fruit and nuts to eat to get some of the nutrients I need without me feeling stuffed. Ate a bowl of fruit last night but it didn't help the FBS neither did the wine. FBS was 160 this morning. Weight was up a little but we had a large lunch when I cooked the beef roast. That may drop by tomorrow. I really need to work at getting back to 2MAD with 1 small snack perhaps of nuts. not sure.

Going out to see Daddy today so DH can try to get his pc working again. Then we have to go to Sam's and Walmart. Not sure about what we will eat when we get home. This week has been wild. I surely hope next week will be a little slower.

Have a great day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #139  

I just read that grains contain anti-nutrients that act as mineral inhibitors. It explains that grains can stop uf from absorbing some of the minerals in our foods. It goes on to say that low-carb dieters tend to stay away from eating grains and eat a more variety of nutritious food, so magnesium intake should be sufficient.

Perhaps this means I would do better to eat fruits, veggies, and replace the grains with nuts. I will have to really think about that.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #140  

Carol Sue I guess we were writing at the same time. The only thing that really bothers me is the sharp pain you get in your ankle. Don't you think you need to have it checked to see if you have sprained something? You might should think about seeing that foot doctor just to be sure everything is okay. JMHO

Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #141  
Madeleine

Carol: i know I have a lovely pair of sandals, very comfy for my feet, but my knees complain about them. In fact, when I regularly wear shoes with heels, my knees complain.
I like birkenstocks for me feet. I know there is a lot of joking about being some kind of crunchy granola hippie if you wear them, but my feet never complain in them. I bought a pair of birk shoes too. Sometimes they are tight across the vamp, so it will take time to break them in, but in the morning they are fine before my feet swell at all.
Also Carol , the tightness in the joints etc makes me think you are retaining fluid in your hands, either from fluid retention or mild allergic reaction.

I think I have managed the inn down the street to give DD a cup of coffee in the morning. We had supper there tonight and we spoke with the landlord. He seemed receptive, although they don't usually do breakfasts etc except for paying guest. But I guess supper there tonight (it wasn't cheap, for sure) was like being guests.

its a good thing I am exercising a lot, is all I can say.

Have a good night chickies, ttfn
Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #142  

I'm up late tonight. LOL

The stabbing pain in my ankle just started recently, a few days ago. If it continues, possibly I will have it checked out, but if it is like the other pains, they go away after a while and show up somewhere else, so I will wait and see.

Next morning

Weight 198 Yikes! I think I am retaining fluid! FBS 133. Not bad. Pain relatively low except for wrist. Walking is good.

Hope to reign in eating and drinking. I picked up the new supplements. I'm going to read more about them again before taking them. I don't remember being sure about the glucomman. I'm surprised I ordered it. I don't feel I was sure about it. Usually if I feel I can get the same benefit from food I don't choose the supplement. So I guess I can add senility to my list of problems LOL.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-12-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #143  

Carol Sue Just don't wait too long concerning the sharp pain. You don't want to make something that could be fixed to get worse. This is from me who sometimes does the same thing you are doing thinking it will get better.

I think the glucomman is supposed to be helpful with diabetes, but I can't remember right now.

I'm headed out in a bit to go to the store before going to get my perm. DS and BIL are going to see Daddy after she gets her perm so I'm not going today. I've gone almost everyday this week. I will be the one to go all next week too because BIL is having is other shoulder surgery Monday morning so they will be out of pocket for at least a week or more. Daddy doesn't like me planning to come certain days but it makes my life much easier.
I will stick with my MWF visits although I don't go to the beauty shop next week because beautician is going to Spain.

I am really concerned about the article I read about how grains interfere with mineral absorption so I am going to spend time later today researching that. I think I may have to cut way back on grains or make them a rare treat like for holidays or something. I also need to get back to fasting closer to 20 hrs with a 2MAD. I'm just not happy with the way things are going when eating the grains.

Fatmad Glad to hear from you and you are enjoying quality time making memories with DD. I would so love to be able to just go to So. FL to have a visit with DH daughter and her family. I really miss them.

Got to get going. Have a great day and I'll get back here later.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #144  

Trish I am on my phone so I cannot post a link but I just read about the grains interfering with mineral absorption. This article said that the presence of animal protein and certain vitamins at the same meal offsets that effect. Reasons why we need to eat balanced meals. We can discuss this further when I get to my pc.

Glucommanan when eaten with a meal slows the absorption of carbs and sugar. Also swells up and makes you eat less. I'm not sure I like the idea of it swelling in my stomach. I plan to proceed with caution
Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #145  
Madeleine

this day has been a wash. I didn't sleep well last night, but did fast until about 2 pm. I had a curry with rice though, all vegetarian. Then some nachos with cheese, and tomato soup for supper. Somehow this morning when I was packing up I brought the milk instead of the cream. That was disappointing.
Did get a nap in, and tomorrow, will start again, with LCHF. Will get cream first thing!
How is the pain now Carol? Trish, you save up your energy for when you are on deck for visiting your Daddy. I assume he doesn't need visits every day, sounds like he is living his life these days, but enjoys visits too.

Have a good night all.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #146  

Trish, here is the article I was reading,
https://feelfabnutrition.com/things-...cium-and-zinc/
and here's the passage where it says that animal protein and some vitamins offset the interference of mineral absorption.

(Some phytates are water soluble, so can be removed by soaking foods prior to cooking and the presence of animal proteins in the same meal appears to also help. In addition, vitamins A, beta carotene and vitamin C are thought to help prevent the chelation of these minerals, so eating foods containing these vitamins at the same time as grains may help absorption of minerals. Spelt has a lower phytate content than modern strains of wheat, so bread eaters could be advised to eat spelt-based bread.)

I wouldn't think it was a really big problem unless you were eating large portions of grains, and not including a variety of other foods.

I am finding more and more problems with the Glucomannan. I see now that it can interfere with the absorption of meds because it becomes a gel like substance in your stomach and absorbs some of whatever's in there, and that would include meds, and they especially mentioned drugs like Glimiperide. I think it said to take the meds 1 hour before the Glucomannan, or 4 hours afterwards. Since I'm supposed to take the meds before meals, and also the Glucomannan, I guess I would take the meds 1 hour before, and the Glucomannan immediately before. So I might be tossing this stuff out. I can't understand why I even ordered it, but it might have been because it was very inexpensive and I figured if I didn't like taking it I wouldn't be wasting much money. I don't know what I was thinking.

Mad, I started the day with little pain. We went out for breakfast and then to Walmart and Dollar General. By the time I got home both my feet and legs were hurting. It wasn't my ankle though, it was the bottom of my heel and my upper calf right below each knee.. I gave in and took pain meds, so I'm pain free again. I never know where the pain is going to be next, and I feel like a hypochondriac. I see the PCP mid November, but don't know what pain I will be having by then, if any.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #147  

fatmad No Daddy doesn't have to have visits everyday. He mostly gets upset when my sisters don't come like he wants them too. Baby sister went when I took her Tuesday. He didn't seem to remember that I took her there which bothers me because I often notice he seems to forget little things lately. Now DS seems to only go once a week. Of course, I think a lot of that has to do with all the problems going on in her family right now. Her baby girl had the surgery etc with the cancer scare. Then she found out that her only son's wife is an alcoholic and they are getting a divorce and Monday her DH has shoulder surgery. At the same time she isn't losing weight and isn't feeling up to par herself. She hasn't talked to me about what is really bothering her. I told her I knew something else is going on, but I know she doesn't want to talk right now. I know she will eventually when she is ready.

Any way, I thought they were going out to see Daddy today but she changed her mind when she got through at the beauty shop. I try to take up the slack when the others don't go by going 3x a week. I didn't go today because I didn't have time. When I finally called Daddy I could tell he was upset and didn't really want to talk to me. That is kind of hard for me because I do all I can as it is. I am also trying to take care of my own health too. I try to just process it in my mind and just go on knowing I might feel the same way if I was sitting there. One thing I have learned is that I do have to take time to rest and take care of me. I love my Daddy however, he didn't let anything slow him down with what he wanted to do in his life. I mean he was a great provider, but he took the time to do the things he wanted to do. If I don't take care of me, I won't be able to go see him the way I do. I'm not going to neglect him, but I'm going to take care of myself at the same time.

I'm sorry your day didn't go well. Was it because of sleep deprivation? I assume jet lag doesn't help with any of that either. I'm sure there are several things that factor into everything. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Carol Sue Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I usually eat protein with the grain except at breakfast when I have the oats. I'm just in the mood for eggs when I eat oats. I remembered to do the boiled egg in ACV today. It is in the fridge now for tomorrow morning. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I asked DH if he wanted me to make him one, but he doesn't want to eat it when he gets up before he eats his fruit to take his meds so he wouldn't do it.

You know one of the things I don't like about eating the grains is that it swells in my stomach and makes me feel stuffed. I have never liked that feeling and is one reason I thought about leaving them off and just get the fiber from the fruit that I eat. My FBS was 163 yesterday and today. Weight was back down .2 lb, but still not back down to 220 as of yet. I'm not sure if that means that the diet is working because things are slowing down and neither the bs or weight is going up ad it will start coming down or what. I am eating less although I am eating the nuts for a snack, I don't be able to eat as much as I did when on South Beach low carb. I'm thinking that is because of the fiber in the small amount of grains and the nuts swell in my stomach and I can't eat more. I may ride this out another week and see what happens. I've already cut the breakfast in half when I eat oats. We'll see.

I used to have the problem with my feet when I lived in FL and when I first moved to SC, but I don't know what happened but one day it just went away. I don't think I ever had the sharp pain like you have though. That is something I'm not sure about. Can you tell if that is weather change related? Wish I had an idea of what causes it.

I think I'm going to take a nap. Have a good evening.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #148  

Trish, I am wondering if that is why the hospital always gave me both oatmeal and an egg at breakfast. If they knew I had to have some animal protein with the grain. I was the one who made the menu selection the morning before. I could have had Total cereal instead, but I chose the oatmeal because I don't put milk on my oatmeal so I was able to just drink the milk. If I had the Total, I would have put the milk on that.

This foot pain started last year in the months of October and November. That was in the left foot. It just went away one day. So during the really cold months of winter I didn't have the pain. Then this year it started in March in the right foot. This time it took longer to go away, but started moving around from location to location. First across the front of my foot right below the toes. Then on the right side of the foot, then the left side. On the bottom of the heel, then the knees started, then the pain in the ankle. I have had the ankle pain for about 3 days. None today, but then I took the pain pills for the pain in the heel, so that could be masking the ankle pain. I really don't think it's an injury. I think it is coming because of all the other pain, I am changing my gait and that's throwing my ankle out. I had ankle problems back in my late 40s. I have 2 elastic ankle supports that I wore for it back then. It lasted several months then miraculously went away. I was working in an office at that time and I remember I could not wear heels during that time. I'm really not worried about it being something that can get worse. I think it's something systemic because of all the other pain that comes here there and everywhere.

Do you think your Dad was upset with you that you didn't come to see him? I remember him telling you once that you didn't have to come all the time, but maybe he forgets that. He is very fortunate that all of you visit him from time to time. I really think if each of you went once a week on different days that should be sufficient. He does have activities that he does there to keep him busy. I don't recall you seeing him every day when he had his apartment, but I could be wrong.

I think our furnace might be on it's last legs. I hope it doesn't break down on the coldest day of the winter. It is the original furnace. 47 years old. DH put a new motor in it about 20 years ago and it has been fine since. Today he told me that the motor was stuck on. It wasn't blowing heat, but the fan was blowing constantly and wouldn't shut off. He banged on the motor with a screw driver! LOL At least it's working properly for now . Guess I will have to save up my money!!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:41 AM   #149  

Carol- Hope the furnace behaves itself. That's awesome a repair gave it so many years of functioning. I hope the pain goes away.

Mad- Glad to hear your trip is going pretty smoothly. I use a bottled coffee concentrate that you add water to and heat up. Not sure if it is available where you are but it could help with coffee woes. It tastes like proper coffee (not instant).

Patty- Totally spot on about taking care of yourself first. In many ways that is what this whole journey is about.

I have five small goals I have been tracking- eat within (generous for now) calorie limit, spend 20 minutes outside, drink beverages other than sugared soda, exercise 20 minutes a day and go to bed by a certain time (later for now). I am continuously surprise by how hard these basic self care things are for me. I probably shouldn't be surprised because I understand the underlying reason.

My day went well. I worked a couple of hours in the morning. Currently, my job is a contract position that goes until the end of the year. I was very happy to get confirmation that they will extend it for next year. I had another normal FBS.

Pipsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #150  
Madeleine

Pipsicle, congrats on the job extension. That must feel good, that they value you, and a relief that you don't have to go looking for something else unless You want that.
I understand how hard those things can be to accomplish on any given day. Some people do well changing little things one or two at a time, for others, if they are going to make a change, they may as well do big changes and just get it over with. I am a big change kind of person, I think. I can make occasional small changes, but they are harder for me to keep going. Of course, the big changes don't always work out either. But the IF and fasting are sure doing well.
Carol: I wonder if you could see someone about orthotics, and about your gait. The different pain in the lower body, may be responses to different footwear, and gait changes, etc. The fact that you start the day feeling fine and get worse with movement too, less like arthritis and more like response to other things. A physiotherapist where they also do orthotics may be helpful. And take all the footwear you might wear.
Trish: sounds like too much grain might be an issue for you. A little goes a long way for me now, before I feel way over stuffed. The small serving of rice and a few corn chips made me feel stuffed all around yesterday. Just had soup for supper.
Its dull and drizzly here today. We expected that the whole time here, and have had more sun than expected, but the remnants of hurricane Michael have come this way now. Lots of damage and power loss in some areas, we are inland now and no concerns other than the rain.
Have a good day everyone