Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #46  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol: I am certainly not going to shame you for eating an egg with dry toast! I miss toast! While this WOE is working for me, it still means depriving myself of food I really like sometimes. (so does having coeliac, but that's not negotiable, so the toast is off the table) I will say that my love of toast and other types of baked goods was a downfall for me. I could not control my urges for foods with wheat, breads, cereals, baked goods) had me falling off every diet. But that was me.
You seem to be able to have a reasonable amount of those foods, and if that is working for you, then keep on and enjoy.
Just like there seem to be people who have embrace vegetarian lifestyle to work with weight loss and diabetes, and they too are successful. I won't judge, or at least, I hope not.
I did wind up eating a late supper. I was tired and hungry, Definitely not getting enough sleep. Hoping I can get something arranged with the CPAP. I slept without it most of the night. And woke up at 430 unable to get back to sleep. So no doubt will have a difficult day. Its a long day at the office, so I will pack low carb food and not try to fast. too tired to do that. I seem to be getting bites, or a rash with hives. Can't find any bugs, and DH has no bites, so not sure whats up. Reaction to the hot tub chemicals?
Trish, I hope you are enjoying having a dog around for a while. I miss DD dog. They were here on the weekend, and I took her for walks and just generally enjoyed her. I hope the dog you are taking care of is a sweetie.
Have a good day
Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, I don't eat toast every day. Just occasionally. If DH cooks breakfast, he makes scrambled eggs so no toast. But when I cook breakfast, I make over easy eggs with a runny yolk and like to dip my toast in the yolk. That was how I ate eggs most of my life, but when DH started cooking our breakfast, he does not like runny yolks. So it's just a treat for me. There are 2 breads that I can buy that are low calorie, lower carb and higher fiber. They are very small thin slices. I keep it in the freezer and it last me for months. DH also cooks the scrambled eggs in lots of butter. I cook mine with Pam. So that's a calorie difference. If I were to eat DH's commercial white bread, I could really go overboard. Bread anything made similar is my big downfall. I just have to not eat any in the first place. My bread is a little easier to resist because I have to get it out of the freezer and defrost it if I'm not going to toast it, and that is enough to make me stop and think what I'm doing. I often forget that bread is in there.

I am wondering if maybe you no longer need your CPAP. You said you slept without it. I could not sleep without mine. I would wake up gasping for air every 5 minutes. A coworker lost weight with WLS and no longer needed her CPAP. The same with a woman on the LC forum who lost with LC. Wouldn't that be nice?

There was a program online a year or so ago about a plant based diet as a remedy for diabetes and some other diseases. It was called iThrive, and of course, they were selling DVDs of the program. It was not vegan or vegetarian, though. Vegans and vegetarians eat carbs such as bread, pasta and rice, potatoes. A plant based diet does not include starchy carbs. That makes a big difference. I am at the point where the only meat I like is chicken. DH made some hamburgers the other day and they turned me off just looking at them. I enjoyed my chili last night which did contain ground beef, but it was not a lot of meat so that was OK. The meatloaf I made this week was good too, but there are a lot of things mixed in with that meat. I used to love grilled or roasted pork but not much anymore. I don't know what is causing this. I can eat deli meat, but only on a sandwich, and that's out since I am avoiding bread. Certain deli turkey is OK and I can eat that rolled up with a slice of cheese, but most deli meat tastes too salty and greasy for me these days. And I used to love McDonald's Sausage and Egg McMuffin. I can't eat their sausage now, and even their eggs don't taste good to me. I love the english muffin, though. LOL The one part I am NOT supposed to be eating.

Trish, your blood sugar of 96 before dinner is GREAT, and also the fact that you were not experiencing symptoms. I think your next A1c is going to be very good!

Too bad you can't get DH to watch his carbs more. He could get better readings and a better A1c. I know my DH would never be a good diabetic. He loves his carbs way too much.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #48  

I put my Dr Scholl's gel arch supports in the washing machine with the towels. They washed up beautifully! I wasn't sure if they were washable. I really want to get another pair of these. They aren't expensive at Walmart. I have been walking around without them all day and now I'm getting a pain in my right butt cheek. LOL I don't know if my gait is being thrown off because I don't have these in my shoe. I hope that's all it is. I don't want any more problems. I've had my fill. Just when one thing starts to improve another one starts. I didn't put them in the drying. I thought that might be pushing it. They really don't feel wet....

I googled and saw a few reasons why a person could lose their taste for meat. I didn't like any of them.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Still have fur baby until this evening at least. He is a sweetie except when I had to chase him down and carry him back to the house this morning. LOL He is just too heavy for me to do that. I don't think he was running from me. He was exploring the backyard and being blind I think he couldn't get back to me even though I was calling him. I realized that when he heard a dog in the neighborhood barking and he tried to find him and couldn't tell where he was barking from. It was quite an experience for me. LOL His in and settled and al his well.

DS called this morning and my niece is pretty sore where they took the lymph glands from for testing. She wants her Mother to spend the day with her so that I why I still have the dog. DN has 3 dogs of her own and they are big dogs. DS is going to take the calmer of the 3 home with her as she and the new puppy start playing nd end up fighting like a couple of kids and DN doesn't need to have to pull them apart. She and this dog get along fine too and not sure how the new pup would do with Teddy Bear.

Got my running done this morning and got the tags for the car and DH meds from docs office. I didn't want to eat before I left and really wanted to fast, but had not committed to it; I just decided to decide as I go along. My weight and FBS was up a little which upset me until I remembered we had the KFC lunch yesterday and it is normal for both to be up a bit. It wasn't up as much as it usually would be and I think that is because I don't eat more than I need. DH will eat the leftover potatoes and cole slaw and I put the left over chicken in the freezer. I will either thaw it and debone for a salad or throw it out trash day. I don't usually like cold fast food fried chicken.

The nice thing about eating the carby fiber carbs that I am eating now is that I am staying satisfied longer and I'm not cravings or wanting snacks. I have not eaten today. I just haven't been hungry so I'm doing a 24 hr fast today. I don't know if it will end up being a 2MAD OR OMAD. This is where my IE part of this plan will guide me today. When we went to Walmart yesterday, neither one of us was even tempted by the candy. I actually picked up a bag and told DH that was the size bag of candy Daddy had bought at Walmart yesterday when they went. I can't believe it, but I was never tempted to buy any of it. DH did get several boxes of the bars we get there. They had 2 new flavors of pumpkin spice and carrot cake and asked if I wanted them. I had him get them because I told him maybe that will keep me from wanting candy. I know I may have one of those once in a while, but not everyday. So I consider that a great accomplishment for me. I would like to finally do at least 2 24 hr fasts a week, but I decided that for right now I just need to work at staying within the 8 hr eating window. Once I get that down, then I can work at doing smaller eating windows. This needs to become a comfortable lifestyle for me.

A few years back while doing IE, I used the Beck Diet Solution guidelines especially writing down some of the confessions they have you say to yourself to change your thinking. I got those items and the book back out to use it to help me get my mind set right.

Carol Sue I am getting away from eating so much bread although I do eat it. I still like my homemade Egg McMuffins as they are a lot less calories. I use Pam when I cook eggs too. In fact, I've started using lowfat dairy again too. I was going to get FF milk for me and 2% for DH when we were at Walmart, but he told me to just get 1% for both of us. I was really hoping he would decide to do that, but I didn't want to be the one to suggest it. I actually found 2% Sharp cheddar shredded cheese this morning. Our local sales their shredded cheeses 2 for $5 so I got 2 of them and put one in the freezer. I do still use butter as I don't really want to use margarine and I don't think some fat is going to hurt us since we all need some of the healthier fats.

Mad I hope you are able to have a good day. You are really doing such a great job and making such good progress. You are an inspiration. I've kind of learned from you that we have to do what we have to do for our own bodies.

Y'all have a great day.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #50  

I just noticed that my post from Monday ended up being one big long paragraph. I think it was done on my phone, but other posts I do on my phone don't turn out like that. I don't know why. It was very hard to read.

I buy stick butter for DH because that's what he likes, but I use the soft tub butter with Olive oil from Aldi's. I tried the one from Walmart and it tasted terrible. I threw it out. DH said maybe it was not refrigerated properly somewhere along the line and it spoiled. It looked fine.

I put my heel inserts back in my shoes and I feel fine.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #51  

I feel so good this morning! I felt terrible last evening. I went to bed early and watched TV. Eventually I fell asleep and slept straight through until 4AM. I got up and went to the bathroom and fell right back to sleep until 6:30. DH got up at 7AM and made coffee so I got up, too. I haven't taken anything for sleep for months, not even Tylenol, but I have been taking Tart Cherry Extract, and I saw someone mention that it helps them sleep. After I switched it to taking it in the AM to taking it at bedtime I have slept better. I'm taking it for pain relief, but maybe it helps with sleep, too.

I need some things from Walmart, and I should probably go early in the morning when it's not crowded and get that out of the way. I did a couple loads of laundry yesterday so I feel that I'm getting caught up with things.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #52  
Madeleine

Carol: that IS one of the things I miss about bread/toast, I love dipping it in my runny egg yolk. And yes, I usually did dry toast, because nothing else was needed to enhance that wonderful taste. And was certainly one of my downfalls for doing low carb. That's why I say coeliac disease may save me, because not being able to eat those foods will keep me on plan for the most part. Another reason not to look too deeply into gluten free options. Even if they do taste ok.
Today was a weighing day, and I'm down just under 159. That's after two days of eating. I am going to wait before fasting again too. I sometimes forget, its much harder for me if I fast again too soon. Some people just eat every couple of days while in weight loss/fasting mode. At least on the support sites. I need to remember not to expect too much of myself, and that what I have been doing is working and working well. No need to rush things. I have another week before I leave for Scotland and I can have a fast during that time. Being gentle with myself works better in general anyhow.

I also convinced DH to make me some scrambled eggs. He sautes some onions first, and then tops them with a little cheese. All in all will be a great low carb/high fat breakfast for me. If i cheat and add some ketchup, thats on me, LOL.

I slept better last night too. I think you are right Carol, I'm kind of on the cusp of maybe not needing the CPAP anymore. My pressures are not too high, but I think I just need a little. In the end I couldn't get to sleep without it on, but after waking once, left it off. DH says I am not snoring that he can hear, so no worries, and weight loss not stalling, (when I started needing the CPAP, I think the sleep apnea was driving the weight gain). So I will again, just do what I need to do. Still dithering about whether I should bother going for the consult in November. My impression is that the place doesn't get paid for the sleep study until the consultation happens. Might be my leverage. On my trip, I will allow myself to take Gravol or allergy meds if needed to assist sleep and keep me on the new schedule. Will see how the jet lag takes me. But those will also help keep my airways clear.
And with the sleep, I woke up in a pretty good mood today too.
Trish, enjoy the little dog, and hope you can get out and do your walking or in and do your biking. Whatever works for you, both are good for you.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #53  

Mad, I would not want onions or cheese with my eggs. I can eat them with other chopped veggies, but really prefer them plain. The only way I like cheese is to just eat plain cheese by itself. I can enjoy a grilled cheese, but that's rare because of the bread. I can no longer eat cheese on a burger, and like I said, I'm actually turned off by burgers anymore. I occasionally order a bacon, turkey club sandwich in a restaurant, but ask for it with no cheese. I don't know why I love it by itself but not with most other foods.

My CPAP mask has stretched out some and doesn't fit as good as it should. DH says it makes a sound like a cat meowing. LOL I sometimes hear it, and adjust the mask.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #54  

Carol Sue and Mad I also like toast with my over easy eggs so I've decided to go back to a low carb/keto type of breakfast with either scrambled eggs or omelets. I'm not tempted to have toast with them so it is best for me to make lover easy eggs a rare thing.

I know that I need the fiber because it does keep me regular without potty issues. However, I need to eat more of a low carb way of eating so I have decided to create my own semi-CAD type plan. I say semi because I still have my 1/2 banana with my low carb breakfast. Lunch needs to be whatever DH and I can eat together and then I am going to work at having chicken, tuna or salmon type salads in the evening. I suddenly am in the mood for the salads and I want to take advantage of it while I feel this way.

I was looking through The Beck Solution yesterday and I realized that I still use some of the things it recommends. I didn't realize that one of the things it suggested to do was write out my eating plan for the day in advance. I've done this so long that it really becomes easy. It isn't always easy to do on MFP but I might not have to. I think she suggests having a notebook and write down what you plan to eat. I used to do that and could go back to that again. She also suggests visualizing yourself the way you want to look at a lower weight. When I went to bed last night, I could actually visualize the way I looked at 165 lbs so I went to sleep with that picture in my mind. I've always heard that you need to see yourself smaller.

She also suggests sitting and seeing yourself at a party or buffet and choosing better choices of food and then see yourself spending more time visiting with others than focusing on the food. It seems to use a lot of learning to focus on something else and learn to talk to yourself about decisions you are making as you learn to change your mindset to thoughts of success. I realized that I do some of these things that I learned back then. For example, even when doing CAD and I was going out to eat, I check out the restaurant menu when possible and I have already decided what I'm going to order when I get there.

So I'm going to go back and read and learn how to follow some of the stages she has you go through so I can get myself back on track.

Fur baby went home last night. We enjoyed having him but it was time for him and us. As much as we enjoyed him, we still don't want to get one. I guess if we could get a small dog that is as well behaved as he was we might consider it, but it is just a responsibility we don't want full time for now. DH DD is going to breed Yorkys and baby sister is going to breed Yorkpoohs and both have offered to give us one so by that time, we might change our minds, but not sure we will.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #55  

I can't say that my diet itself is perfect, but I have stayed within the 8 hr window today. Drinking a lot of water as I am struggling not to eat anything else tonight. I'm doing my best to make this a successful IF day.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:55 AM   #56  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Still churning along. Doing reasonably well with roughly a 16:8 IF schedule. I've kept a pound off for almost a week. Super pleased with that. I've been doing better at watching my calories. Also, have put # values to my NSV visual to help gauge my progress even if the scale won't cooperate.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #57  

Hi Pipsicle. I think you are learning new eating habits. That's always a good thing, and the weight loss will come eventually. I think when you start eating right, you can even get a small weight gain to start with because your body was used to what you were doing before, but then it turns around and you start to lose. Maintaining that one lb loss is significant, because after that comes another lb loss.

Trish, I usually have a half banana when I first get up so I can take meds since I don't eat for a while.

I slept very well again last night...straight through until 6:45. I don't know what's doing this but I don't want it to stop. I have been falling asleep faster. too. It has never taken me long to fall asleep, but lately I drop off as soon as my head hits the pillow. I have heard that about the Tart Cherry Extract, I don't know.

We went to the casino yesterday. I took my Kindle and sat in the food court and read for a while. I was not in the mood for gambling. I get tired of it. DH doesn't. After a while he won some money so since he was ahead I decided to spend some of my money. Right away I won $200, so I was happy we came out ahead. We had our last free buffet coupons for September and I didn't want to go today because I want to do final prep for DGS coming on Saturday. I have made a lot of headway with getting some of the clutter out of his room, and now I have to clean off his bed. I still have some clothes piled there. I think I will make some brownies, too. He likes them, and I can take the leftovers to his house on Sunday when we go for lunch.

Now that the weather is turning colder I'm finding it harder to drink my water. I always feel cold and want something hot to drink.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #58  
Madeleine

successfully staying below 160, all week now. A real win. I am eating and staying there. Now for the weight loss again.... when ready.
I am going to see if the people who sold me my CPAP will adjust the pressures for me based on the readings from the machine.
The sleep lab hasn't called back, and I am spending about 1/2 the night not using it, the last two. I had a good sleep last night too. I still have trouble getting to sleep for the first part without it. There is just enough stuffiness in my nose to affect breathing through it when I first lay down. The CPAP is great for that, the pressure clearing it up.

Pipsicle: congrats on the loss. Small steps are fine, and if you are getting used to 16:8 that is a big win for you. Have you been able to read either the Diabetes Code or Obesity Code? figuring out next steps for changes that will bring more weight loss would be good. Now I rarely have diet soda, sticking with tea, water and soda water.
I am pretty happy with my eating most of the time. Its satisfying and yummy, I enjoy it when I do eat. I also don't mind when I don't.

Enjoyed my eggs with onions yesterday, then away all day for a rally. (midwives won a human rights tribunal case for pay equity recently, I testified at the hearings, so a big deal for me) But no appropriate food on the journey, so I fasted, but ate supper late evening (ribs and salad). So not a perfect IF day by any means, but worked ok. Not sure if today will be OMAD with eating supper or fasting into tomorrow. No big plans for the weekend, other than taking the little girls to the pumpkin patch on Sunday.

Have a lovely day, everyone

Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #59  

I'm on my way out this morning so will have to make this a flyby. Sounds like everybody is doing really good. Very inspiring.

Pipsicle 1 lb loss is great. That is what I have lost since my recent gain and I am so thrilled that it is showing me that I am beginning to lose again.

I couldn't go to sleep right away so I got up and read some out of Obesity Code and looked at the diet meal plans in the book. I am pleased to know that that fruit is allowed on his plan along with oats which means to me that a small amount of grains is allowable. I did make my 1st day of 16:8. And I will be doing that for as long as I need to. I hope that there will come a time when I can go back to my 19:5 IF, but until then I am happy doing things this way.

BBL

Old 09-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #60  
Madeleine

Trish, I still have my steel cut oats cooked in milk every once in a while. And a little fruit a few times a week. (mostly berries, but occasionally a peach. )
enjoy!
Closed Thread