Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, I think you and Trish were cross-posting and she didn't see your question. CM stands for Complimentary Meal. I don't know why it's called that.

I don't completely discount low fat. I don't buy/eat any foods labeled low fat, but I think a lot of people will cut their fat consumption when they are stalled because fat has more calories. Calorie counting does still work for some.

Trish, I remember you talking about Eno years ago and also Makeitwork. The forum they were on is still open and Makeitwork was also on the one that closed but I don't know if she went by the same name. When Eno posted her "goodbye" post a week or so ago it seemed that she was not going to post anywhere anymore. Sshe was pretty much the only one posting there regularly. She is firmly planted in her woe and didn't need anyone to give her support, and there were no longer other posters to be helped by her information. I don't understand why CAD/CALP is not more popular. I think it's a healthy diet if done properly and gives you the opportunity to have some carbs each day. The biggest problem was when some people misunderstood and turned the RM into a 60 minute carb fest. They would eat as fast as they could to get as many carbs in as possible.

DH made some donuts last night. It's fried sweet dough that he calls donuts. So he will be eating that with his coffee this morning and probably won't be making breakfast. He would make some for me if I asked him but I will have to see if I get hungry. I don't mind passing on it once in a while to extend my fast.

Yesterday my knee hurt really bad all day, in spite of taking Tylenol Arthritis and also a pain pill. This morning it doesn't hurt at all. Not even a twinge. Sitting on my computer chair usually gets the pain going so we will see how it is when I try to get up. I have a different computer chair that I use in another room, but it is bigger and takes up too much room at my computer which is in the dining room. Maybe my knee is going to get better gradually. The doctor who introduced me to the Hyaloronic Acid said it take 3 months to get the full effect. I am procrastonating on the exray.

Pipsicle, you are doing very well with your fasting and it's really helping with your blood sugar. I think a lot of people have trouble sleeping when fasting, but maybe in time your body gets used to sleeping on an empty stomach. It's really healthier to do that because it allows your body to rest and heal, and in activates HGH which helps with the healing and weight loss.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #212  

Two hours in the computer chair and still no pain to speak of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Trish, what is CM? I understood the other acronyms. On the obesity code network there is a sticky note with the acronyms spelled out. Don't hesitate anyone to ask what something is. I don't get the low fat. We all know that doesn't work. just makes us crave more food, especially carbs, right? Hope you are getting enough fat, especially the good stuff.
I did well today, fasted until supper, then had a nice high fat supper of ribs (no sauce) sauerkraut and coleslaw. Now nice and full. I stopped eating when I was starting to get full, which meant one rib left. I brought it home. Even if I give it to the dog, didn't want to waste it.
Tomorrow plan is for 2 meals, so will have to plan lunch. I go on call tomorrow at 4 pm, so have to have supper planned to in case I have to work.
Glad everyone is having a pretty good day.
Sorry, I didn't see this and probably wouldn't have if Carol Sue hadn't mentioned it. CM stands for Complimentary Meals they are the meals that are not to supposed to have starchy foods which many of us just call a low carb meal. All snacks are supposed to be foods chosen from the Complimentary Foods list and be half the size of whatever you meal would be. So I usually just call the low carb meals/snacks. As for fat, I don't worry about the fat since they have learned the importance of fat in our diets. Even when I use MFP, I don't worry if the fat goes over some because I know it will help me stay satisfied longer. I don't really follow CAD 100%, I basically like the concept and since I know I'm going to eat some starchy foods, I figure I will do better if I can learn to keep them in one meal and let the carbs work for me and not against me. If it doesn't, I just may have to go VLC for a while although it really doesn't fit my lifestyle these day which makes it harder to stay OP.

You are doing great. Planning for the days you may have be called out to work is so going to help you stay OP and be successful.

Have a great day.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #214  

Pipsicle You are doing so well and by doing so you will never become diabetic. I wish I had stayed on CAD years ago when I got everything under control then. I can't remember why I ever changed except that I got on a low carb group that criticized everything I was eating and would tell me that I couldn't have some of my foods on low carb. I should have left the group because I had lost down to 165 lbs at that time and felt pretty good. The only other time I did good was when I strictly followed Atkins, but my lifestyle now doesn't fit an Atkins woe. You keep up the good work girl and don't let anyone discourage your are stop you from what you're doing.

Carol Sue I don't think Eno will have any problems staying OP either. She has been doing it for a good 17+ years so I think she has it down pretty well. I'm glad your knee is feeling better and hope the stuff you are taking causes it to do better and better as time goes on. DS told me the other day that having to go up the steps into her daughters house when BIL sister was here had caused her knee to start hurting again. I'll have to tell her about Hyaloronic Acid. She has had knee surgery before and has put off having it in the other one.

I have decided to use some of the ideas of CAD/IF within the 8:16 ratio. I need to just do it the way I was doing it to help me stay moderately low carb with my own way of doing the plan. This morning, I had my Slimfast smootie I like for breakfast with my coffee. I will have the main meal with DH and then I will have the eggs and bacon to buffer the insulin release so that my FBS will continue to go down. Writing what I did to Pipsicle helped me see how I got derailed before with CAD. I'm not going to allow that to happen to me this time.

I figure we have learned a lot of things since the Hellers published the original book after all they have written a lot of books changing things over the years. Just a few years ago they wrote the book about how she went from eating the way she did in the first book to now eating breakfast. They never use the words lowcarb, but they used soy flour for pancakes etc in their books which I remember a lot of lowcarbers adding soy flour in their books. I think in one of Dr. Atkins' later books he did too. A lot of veggies that were not allowed in Complimentary meals are now allowed. I got the idea of using the high protein Slimfast from another CAD dieter on FB and added it for my breakfast. I was doing fine with it until someone said "That isn't CAD". Well, maybe it isn't for that person who follows it to the letter, but it works for those of us who use it for a quick breakfast.

I see that I really like having the breakfast Slimfast and really need the protein for my last meal or snack and since the high protein snack gives me energy, I don't want to drink one in the evening to keep me from sleeping. I do like not having anything at a minimum of 4 hrs before bedtime. However, I am going to try to have the Slimfast smoothie at least by 10 and have the egg/bacon by 6 most of the time. When I sleep on an empty stomach, I sleep like a baby. I only got up 2 times to go potty last night. I didn't take the Tylenol and I woke up this morning with a lot of aches and pains. I think I will have to continue taking the Tylenol when I go to bed. I use a lotion my DS told me about that she and BIL use called 2 Old Goats. I got up and put that on my back and knees and went back to bed for a bit until the pain went away and when I got up I was fine. That stuff saves me a long of times because the pain goes away pretty good. I should have put it on before I went to bed and it might have helped keep me from having the pain. I will take the Tylenol tonight since I have to get up and do some running tomorrow, but may try just the lotion tomorrow night to see what happens.

I won't be talking to my Daddy today. He is on his way to a Safari about 75 miles away with a bus load from the retirement center today. They will be eating out will probably be back late. I am so glad they do all these things for them so that they still have a life. So at least until DH gets up this is a "me" day.

Y'all have a great day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-26-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #215  

Trish, I had to laugh at you using the 2 Old Goats lotion. I have bought so many things over the years for pain. My friend told me to buy Biofreeze when my hands were hurting so much. I used it a couple times but I wash my hands so much that I figured I was washing it all off. Plus I don't like to use a lot of stuff like that on my hands because I have a habit of rubbing my eyes and I don't want to get stuff in my eyes. Then my BIL told me to get Australian Dream cream to put on my knees. Then DH had some Blue Emu he tried for his pains, and then I bought the Epsom Salts lotion. Recently I have been putting all of these on my knee at bedtime. I put one on and let it dry, then the next and let it dry, until I have them all on. I don't know if any of them are helping but I already paid the money, I might as well use them. When I run out of them, I won't know which one to buy since I used them all at the same time and don't know if any of them worked. Maybe I should just use them one at a time until I see.

We went out to eat, then to Goodwill, then to Walmart. By the time we came out of Walmart my knee really hurt, but we have been home for a couple hours and it's feeling better again. I had no trouble coming up the cellar steps. I think it's getting better gradually.

I found my CAD book and I really do think it's the first book. It says copyright in 1991 published in 1993, and that's what it says online. It has Rachael's original story in it, and the other books don't have that. I wanted to read what it said about the RM being eaten in 60 min. It is because if you continue eating your body will have a second, stronger insulin response.

The book contradicts itself, though. In one place, it says the RM should be balanced, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 with normal portions and it should not be a free-for-all. In another place it says you can eat whatever you want with no regard to quantity or portions. I think it's wrong to say that because that gives people the idea that the RM can just be one big binge, stuffing yourself with as many carbs as you can get in. I don't know if I have the CALP book. I do have another one but I forget what it's called, and then I have the Heart Healthy one. I don't even know what the difference is, but I bought them because they were cheap at Goodwill. If I had all the money I've spent on diet books. I have even donated some of them, and then bought them over again.

I rarely say I follow any certain WOE because there will always be someone who will come along and tell you you're eating something that is not on plan. My plan is just my own plan. Maybe that's why I don't lose any weight to speak of, but I do it my way, just like Frank Sinatra. I have always said my problem is not WHAT I eat, but when, and how much.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #216  

Carol Sue I know, I have bought so many books too. I gave away a bunch of them when I moved from SC, but still have loads of them. I always felt that the other books didn't change a whole lot although there was the CALP and the Heart Healthy one. They both seemed to be the same. That's like I always thought I had to have the salad before the meal and then when I looked at the original book I have and while it does suggest having the salad before the meal, it is not recommended before all the plan choices. I was glad to see that because although I usually have a salad most day, I I really don't always want a salad so I feel comfortable not having one now.

It took me a long time to decide to use the 2 Old Goat lotion I think because the name seemed crazy, but it has become a lotion that actually works. It has a # of good stuff in it and I can see why it works so well. Of course, I can't promise it works for everyone. So far it has worked very well for me.

I wasn't hungry for an egg and bacon tonight because we had BLT for lunch so I ended up having another Slimfast. I am comfortable using the Slimfast high protein drink because I had it this morning with 1/2 banana, a few blueberries and strawberries and I was amazed that 5 hrs later before we had lunch, my bs was 107. I think that is the lowest it has been before lunch. I hope it works that good with the FBS. I make a Slimfast smoothie and drink it on the way to the beauty shop in the morning. As long as it works, that is all I care about.

Daddy called me around noon and they were back. He said they got almost to the Safari and had to turn around and come back because the air conditioner went out on the bus. They are going to go next month. He said he didn't know why they didn't just drive through, but I told him that it was 103 when we talked and I'm sure they were concerned with them getting too hot and getting sick. They brought them back to town and took them out to eat before taking them back to the retirement center. So he still had a nice time out.

It has been a really good day overall. I hope I can go to sleep tonight because I have to get up earlier than usual tomorrow and sometime I can't sleep when I have to get up early. Till tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #217  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Weight still the same, true to ticker at 167, but a little NSV today, another 1/2 inch off the waist. That is lovely to see. I have slept fairly well 4 nights in a row now, which is a relief. After having 3/4 nights not sleeping, I was worried about getting into a rough patch. I am on call now for the next 7 days, but it is not looking busy for me, unless I get tied up helping the others if they are busy. Yesterday was kind of a blue day for some reason, but better now. I did wake up early, but that was after a good 6 hour solid sleep, without the usual waking for the bathroom, so I will be happy with that. I think I don't always need 7-8 hours if I sleep well and solidly through like that.
Pipsicle, I have found I have insomnia when fasting, and the Dr. Fung support site (IDM, Intensive Dietary Management) has a lot of people who find the same thing. For me less so with IF as opposed to EF, but maybe you are sensitive. People seem to think the lack of a big insulin response is part of it. The higher carb and resulting low sugar response seems to make people sleepy, so without it, we are more awake. Also, if you get into ketosis (not ketoacidosis) and are fuelling your brain and body with ketones, that seems to make us more awake. Maybe we need less sleep then.
I still use "training wheels" and have heavy cream in my morning tea. A high fat (35%) cream apparently doesn't trigger an insulin response. It must be so for me, I am generally in ketosis before bed when fasting more than 24 hours, spilling a little into my urine, so that works well.
This week I have been alternating OMAD and 2MAD and maybe thats why I lost the 1/2 inch on the waist. Pretty happy with that, I must say.
Have a lovely day, everyone
Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #218  
Madeleine

Fasting blood sugars still up at 6.6 but didn't take metformin yesterday. Doing a little experiment. Down a pound today, will see if that is permanent before I change the ticker, but fully pleased I am.
Slept ok, but a little short, only about 6 hours. Will try for a nap later. Just have a couple of babies to check on today, and its been a quiet weekend so far.
Heat wave has broken, it will be a bit cooler today, so a walk is on the menu this afternoon as well.
Have a good day everyone.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #219  

Fasting blood sugar has been great the past 2 days. 112 this morning. That's unheard of for me. But I HAVE been taking my meds.

Pain level has been good, too. I don't know if it really correlates with blood sugar readings. Sometimes it seems that it does. I didn't take my supplements or pain meds at bedtime to see what would happen and I still didn't have any pain during the night or this morning. We didn't go anywhere that I had to do any extensive walking, so that needs to be factored in. It's just nice to not have that pain for a while. I will be back to the supplements as soon as I eat something, though. I don't want to push it.

I haven't been on the scale for a while. I can't expect everything to be good!! I do want to lose weight, but right now I am working on blood sugar and pain relief and hoping that some weight loss will come along with it. I seem to be getting full with much less food lately. Actually feeling uncomfortable. It reminds me of the way I felt all the time for a while when I was going through my over-eating gaining stage. Not a good feeling. I have to keep that in mind when I'm eating, eat slowly and stop early, before I feel full. I often feel fine when I stop eating but the full feeling keeps coming for a while.

I did have 2 victories with food this week. When DH had his pizza, it creeped me out. Also when he had onion rings, which I usually love. I don't know if I was having an off day or if these types of foods just don't appeal to me anymore.

Doing good with the pounds and inches, Mad. I haven't measured for a long time but I don't notice much in my clothes.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #220  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Carol Sue- I am glad to hear the pain is better and the FBS has been great the last couple of days.

Patty (Trish..preference?)- Thank you for all of the information and encouraging words. I appreciate it!

Mad- Thank you for sharing your NSV (I find it inspiring) and the information. Also, what is EF?

I have been able to do at least a 16:8 fast most of the days this week. However, I am having trouble sleeping, feel tired, run down and have no stamina. Is this just a phase that will pass? The scale is not edging down and my BP is going up. I am hoping there is still a good effect on my FBS (out of test strips to confirm).
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #221  

Pipsicle It doesn't matter. my name is Patricia and I go by all the names that goes with it except I never liked the name Patsy only because the 2 Patsy's I knew were mean trouble makers. The name Pattygirl came from the plane my Daddy was in missions in during WW2. I think the pilot's girlfriend's name was Pattygirl was why they named it that. When internet came along and I needed a name I used it. Up until I married DH, I was Pat, but he liked Trish so I figured new hubby new life why not go with it. My sisters call me Trisha. So just go with what ever you like. When I am eating OP and sleeping good, I don't seem to need as much sleep. I was up this morning by 8 am. I have been waiting until I am sleepy before I go to bed.

Carol Sue I'm glad the pain is doing so much better. Are y'all going to the Casino today? If so, I hope it doesn't start hurting again. Congratulations on that 112 FBS for 2 days. I'm sure the weight will come off too even though it may take a little more time. Congratulations on not eating the pizza and onion rings. I could pass up the pizza but not sure about the onion rings, although when we all went out for steak BIL ordered appetizer of onion rings and dip and I was surprised when I got home and realized I had only eaten 2 rings.

fatmad Glad you are getting some rest even if it is not as much as you want. I am beginning to think when our tummy is empty that it can rest better in a shorter time. I can't prove that, but seems to work that way for me. We are supposed to get tempts in the 90s next week and I'm wondering if it will just be short term since August is usually our time for really high temps. I'm not sure what will happen since they have been over a 100 for most of July which was rare. Enjoy your cooler weather.

Well, I won't be doing the Slimfast on a regular basis. I think it has too much fiber for me. The other night when I drank it instead of having the eggs and bacon, I was sick all night long. I didn't think about the fiber in it until my beautician who can't eat much fiber either told me that Simfast had too much fiber for her to drink all the time. So I'm back to eating 2CM and RM each day. I've decided to do that plan for now. I don't want to always have to eat a salad so I am sticking too the original book. On days I'm not hungry I will do only 1 or 2 meals, but most days I will probably do the RM and 2 CM. My CMs are actually more like snacks, because I only eat enough protein and fat to keep me satisfied until RM. The morning CM is to keep the RM insulin release lower and the evening CM is to be a buffer to keep my FBS from being so high the next morning. It was higher this morning because DH was eating some chips when I walked by him after evening CM and I took 3 to eat and then stupidly decided to eat some of my own. Lost my buffer and caused the FBS to be higher. Thankfully though, my weight was back down to 220.4.

I went over to MFP and changed the ratios again. I am cutting my carbs back to 20% of my calories instead of 30% and raised my fat ratio to 50%. To keep the leptin regulated, the carb ratio needs to be less than 30% and I didn't want to lower my protein but some days my fat is higher so the only place to regulate it so I can have more fat was to cut the carbs by 10% which will work better for the leptin levels than I was doing before.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #222  
Madeleine

Pipsicle: EF is extended fast, usually anything over 24 hours. One meal (OMAD) and two meals a day (2MAD) is what I am doing now. I think the EF does add to insomnia.
None of us is simple, we all seem to have complex problems. In addition to being overweight and diabetic or pre-diabetic, there are pain issues, BP issues, sleep issues, diet issues, (me with my coeliac disease) etc. And sometimes tweaking one affects the others. So the OMAD 2MAD switch up will maybe mean slower weight loss for me than EFs but when I suffer with insomnia so much, I just can't handle something that makes it happen, or makes it worse.
Trish, for sure some types and amounts of fibre will affect the gut. I find I could only do small doses of psyllium (metamucil) or inulin, (benefibre) without major bowel discomfort. Not sure whats in your Slimfast. is it low carb? it used to be fairly high carb but they have likely changed the formula.
Tomorrow is DH birthday, so I will take him for a steak dinner at the Keg. I don't have to worry about my coeliac there, and who doesn't like a nice steak dinner out?
When we were talking about where to go, it seemed other choices were riskier for me, between the citrus allergy (worries about seafood) and the coeliac. Ugh. Well, eating at home more, and fasting, means we are saving lots of money on our food bill.
Carol: so glad the pain is a bit better. Hope that can continue, and meds keep working.
I am going to see what happens with no metformin and continuing the LCHF diet and IF for a couple of weeks. Unless it gets crazy high, I want to see if it will drop in a bit. If not will go back on it. I am really hoping the fatty liver is healing too. Will have to wait for September at least, but I think my doctor will allow me another ultrasound to check on it if I continue to lose weight and my BS is ok.
Talk you to all later.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #223  

We went out to the store today and my knee started hurting, but after a bit of rest after we came home it is pain free again. The pain is mostly on the outside of the knee. We go to the store or somewhere every few days and maybe it I got a longer shot of resting it, it might heal sooner. I don't know. But when it hurts, the pain is not as bad or last as long as before, so I consider that I good sign.

Trish, we are planning on staying away from the casino, not going as often. They are not paying out like they used to. We will probably still go for the free buffet dinners once in a while, but after a while of not gambling as much they will stop sending them to us. They do that to get you in there. The more money you spend, the more free buffets you get, so the buffets are NOT really free. DH loves to gamble but you can't keep it up when you are not winning.

I don't know much about shakes, but the women on the other forum seem to be switching from Atkins Shakes to Premier shakes. They said they have more protein, so maybe they are something you could try if you want. They don't have a lot of fiber. Maybe the fiber bothered you because you had the shake at night instead of for breakfast.

Pipsicle, if you are eating low carb along with the IF it is natural to feel run down in the beginning. It' s called Low Carb Flu. It is a sign your body is withdrawing from the sugar/carbs. It should pass after a while.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #224  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Tomorrow is DH birthday, so I will take him for a steak dinner at the Keg. I don't have to worry about my coeliac there, and who doesn't like a nice steak dinner out?

Me!! I am not much of a steak lover. I think that comes from back in the 70s when red meat was bad for us. I rarely ate it, and ate mostly fish or seafood. I have enjoyed it a few times at the casino because they cook very small pieces of steak, and I also get to eat other things since it's a buffet. It would not be my first choice if that was all I was having. When we go to Texas Roadhouse I never order steak. I used to like the roasted chicken but they don't have it anymore. I like either the pulled pork or bar-b-cue ribs, but prefer them with very little sauce. I know I am in the minority. I hope you enjoy your steak dinner. It's a great low carb choice!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #225  

fatmad I had forgotten about the fasting causing insomnia. I do notice that when I'm eating a longer window and fast between 14 to 16 hrs, that I get a wonderful 7 hrs of sleep. Steak seems to be our birthday treats. We went out for steak for BIL birthday last week and we will go for my birthday next month. You can't get into too much trouble with a low carb meal at a steakhouse. The Slimfast drink I use has 20 grams of protein. DS told me she had one that is 25 g but I think she misspoke. I don't think they have a 25 g. They do still have the high carb ones. Before I got sick I had planned to get the powder, but noticed when I checked them on MFP that they are high carb so evidently they haven't come out with a low carb powder yet. I don't remember how much fiber is in the low carb ones, but it does have enough fiber in it to make a bottle of it only 1 g carb. So it does have a lot of carbs. By the time I had the fiber I eat at my RM and added a second bottle, I had gone 6 g over in my fiber than what MFP showed that I should have had for my calories that day. Like you, I am learning to stay OP because my body won't allow me to stray too much because I will feel crappy if I do.

Carol Sue I don't know about the Premier but my beautician has told me about Walmart having a 30 g protein drink she used instead of Slimfast. And you are right, I didn't have any problems with a shake for breakfast. I think the problem was having another one in the evening. Right now I'm still experiencing a sore tummy from that fiber so not ready to drink one for a while. I probably will try the Walmart brand when I feel comfortable to drink them again and only use it on Friday morning when I'm in a hurry. As I said to fatmad, I went 6 g over on my fiber for my calories that day and while that might not be a problem for anyone else, it must have been too much for me. When I feel comfortable with it again, I can probably drink one on Friday morning.

Don't y'all love the drama of my family? Baby sister called DS and me yesterday and she is leaving her husband. She said she knew he was having an affair, but couldn't prove it until she and one of her sons found a letter he had written. Supposedly he has agreed to bring her home next week to live with one of their sons. DS and her DH went to see Daddy today and told him. DS son and his wife are getting a divorce. DS asked me one day if other people have this much drama in their families or is it just us. I spent most of the morning talking to their oldest son keeping him calm. I moved back here for this? I am the oldest and they do kind of turn to me, but then I guess that is what the oldest is there for. LOL And life goes on.

Closed Thread