Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #196  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Eye doctor today. No diabetic changes in my vision, but a cataract is starting to form in one eye.
All well at the dentist at least, except the sensitivity caused by the gums receding, normal aging all around I guess.
Hope things get better soon for you Trish.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I bought some cookies at Aldi's today, thinking DH would help me eat them, but he didn't like them. So I ate too many and ended up having a blood sugar spike. Glimiperide to the rescue, but I really hate when I do that. I don't like Glimiperide, but it lowers blood sugar, just not in a good way.

I had an Arby's roast beef sandwich for dinner. No cheddar. DH likes beef and cheddar.....I like plain. We don't seem to agree on any food anymore. That's what's good about take out.

Trish, Benadryl makes me extremely sleepy. I cannot take it except at bedtime but it really helps when I do take it. Too bad I'm usually asleep and cannot enjoy the benefits. LOL I have had allergy problems most of my adult life, especially in the spring. There were so many different OTC allergy meds I could take and they all worked for me. I don't know if they recalled a particular ingredient, but none of them really work for me, and my allergies seem a lot worse now.

Mad, I was told in 2011 that I had the start of cataracts, but still not ready to be removed. My step-daughter was recently told that she has the beginning of them, and she is only 49. I forgot how old you are. You don't have to say if you don't want it. I know you are considerably younger than I am but have adult age children.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad - I recently got a letter that it is time for my yearly check up too. Last year they told me I had the start of a cataract but the doctor told me that with my Daddy being 93 before he had cataract surgery that I may never have to have the surgery. At this point it is up to me and DH said with some of the changes he has had that I should wait as long as I can. So I'm not in a hurry. I will see how things are at my next appointment.

Carol Sue - I quit buying cookies when I started eating more than a serving. Dollar Tree has some that I really love and when I first started buying them, I could eat only 2 at a time. I guess they became addictive and I started adding another and another as days went buy until I decided that I couldn't bring them in the house any more. I don't know if they had Eckerd Drug Stores in the east years ago, but when we had those drug stores here they had allergy pill which the only name on the bottle was Allergy Pills. I have no idea what they were, but they worked. I never had to take but one and it would take care of the problem and I would be good to go. Then all of a sudden they quit selling them. DH and I have been listening to old tapes of him and deceased wife with their children as they were growing up. It is interesting to hear DH mention sinus pills that we all took back then. It is funny how we started with one brand and through the years we go to another and then they would stop making that one and go to another. Now they have so many different brands and different kinds within a certain brand and you have no idea as to which one should I take. LOL It is really crazy.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-24-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #199  

Trish, I remember two sinus meds that I took. SineAid and Sineoff. Sinoff really made me sleepy, and I used to say it made me "sign off" for the night. LOL I haven't seen them in years. Back then, I used to get headaches across my forehead right above my eyes. I don't get them anymore, but I get watery eyes and runny nose a lot. It's annoying. I cannot take anything with D because of my high blood pressure. I think the ones with D are the ones that work the best.

My friend recently had her cataracts removed. You have to wait until they reach a certain point to have it done, I believe.

We had Eckerds. Then they became Rite Aid. Now I heard that they were bought out by Walgreens. Now Walgreens will have taken away all the competing drug stores. There is also CVS, but the only one I know of is over 20 miles away. I rarely go to any of those pharmacies. I get most of my HBA needs at Walmart or Target.

I just looked up the Rite Aid buyout and found out that Walgreens only bought certain Rite Aid stores so it looks like we will be keeping ours in this area. Not that it really matters to me. I don't shop there or at Walgreens.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-24-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #200  

That's funny about you listening to tapes of DH with his first wife and children, because DH has some of his first wife and children, also. He used to listen to them with the kids when they were still here but I don't think he has had them out for a long time. I'm going to ask him about them because I think he should give them to his children now, since their mother has passed away. We gave them most of the old pictures we had of her from when they were little.

He also has a tape of them talking to her on the phone after they came to live with him. They didn't know he was taping the conversation. It's illegal to do that, but he wanted to be sure she wasn't filling their heads with incorrect information. The had come to "stay" with him for 6 months and then after that they refused to move back with her. She was in Los Angeles and they didn't like living there. She tried forever to get them to come back and they wouldn't go, and then she passed away. I know his daughter would love to have that tape to be able to hear her mother's voice again.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #201  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Yesterday, I managed a 12 hour fast and today was a 16 hour fast. Tomorrow should be a 16 hour fast also. I was exhausted around dinner time and ended up taking a nap. Now, I am having trouble going to sleep...
Old 07-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #202  
Madeleine

Pipsicle: hope you got to sleep. On the rare occasions I am able to nap, it also affects my sleep at night, so I wait until tired. The CBT apps talk about never trying to sleep until you are tired. Stay up late if needed. I did that last night, but did take 1/2 Gravol since I have to work today. Slept well.
Interesting though, according to Dr. Fung, anything, except a small amount of fat (like heavy cream in coffee) will trigger an insulin response when it hits the stomach. One of my sleep aids (called super sleep, has 5HTP, melatonin and theanine ) has some sucralose in it. I have been taking it when I wake up to use the bathroom in the night so I can get back to sleep and sleep well. My fasting sugars are still a little high, this week all over 6, today best this week at 5.9 I also was able to remember having a dream before I woke up. I rarely even know I have been dreaming, and almost never remember my dreams, so that is interesting too. Thats 2 nights in a row with decent sleep.

Carol: I am 56 right now. Had my kids at age 25 and 30.
I just know I would have been right there, eating the whole package of cookies. Like I said, coeliac disease is going to save me from myself. I will have to be strong to never buy gluten free cookies, in case I accidentally find something good.

I go on call tomorrow night for a week. Have decided that trying to fast often affects my sleep, many on the support sites say this, so I will only do OMAD alternate days, and 2MAD the others. Will plan LCHF eating during that time. Then a long weekend at the beginning of August for us, and planning guests at the cottage, so just 2MAD for me then. So no EF in the near future. Its a good chance to see how well I maintain or even lose a little with regular IF again.

Have a good day chicks,
Old 07-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #203  

I don't eat/like many cookies. These particular cookies are a generic version of Keebler Pinwheels, if you know what they are. I have loved them since they came out many years ago. They are graham cracker bottom, topped with marshmallow and then all covered in chocolate. I never bought them often because 1) I'm always dieting and 2) they are expensive for what you get. But I would buy them once in a while for an occasional treat. Usually DH will eat a few, but he tried these ones from Aldi's and didn't like them. I think they are exactly like Pinwheels. This is the same scenario as when I bought the snack crackers at Aldi's that tasted just like Cheez It's. I can never buy either of these again. LOL

The electric company is coming today to change our electric meter. They will turn off the power and we will have no Air Conditioning, no TV and no Computer for that time. I hope it goes well. I hope there are no problems that will cause them to have to have it off for a longer time.

Mad, I always say that Diabetes is saving me from myself, but I do make mistakes now and then. If I did not have to check BG and take meds for it, I would be much more out-of-control. Not so much with sugars, but with carbs like bread, bread products like pizza, and pasta. Pasta has always been a big favorite of mine and I always ate huge portions. Another thing that saves me is that DH does not like pasta very much so I only make it occasionally.

Pipsicle, I don't sleep long during the night, maybe 5 hours, tops. Many times DH is watching something on TV that I don't want to watch so I go in the bedroom to watch something else. Once I lie down on the bed, I often doze off. Sometimes I end up missing the whole show I was watching. But most of the time it's just a short time. If I want to make myself stay up later I go outside and sit on the porch. The outside air seems to wake me up a bit. I find that I sleep much better if I go to bed with an empty stomach. I think that's because my blood sugar stays low overnight. Often I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. If I test and my blood sugar is up, I know that's why I can't sleep.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #204  

Pipsicle I like doing the 16 hr fast with an 8 hr window too. I try to do a smaller eating window, but never more than 8 hr. I hope you were able to get to sleep.

fatmad I have often said that diabetes has kept me from going wild with my eating because I have to work at not letting it get worse. I'm sure I should be doing better, but I know what I can't do so I don't.

Carol Sue Hope your electricity won't take long for them to change. If the meter is like they used to be they will just unplug the glass part and plug in the new one. I wouldn't want them to change ours out right now as it 95 degrees and will be 102 for our high today. It be like that the rest of the week.

Well, I wrote a long message earlier and when Daddy answered his phone, I X'd out without hitting submit. So I will not be writing all that again.

There was conversation on FB CAD yesterday about insulin and 2MAD. This guy also follow some of Dr. Fung's He was saying he had tried OMAD and 2MAD and he has decided that he needs the 2CM/low carb meals because of how it affects how much insulin you release at the RM. Someone wrote that they do OMAD and that was the original CAD. In the original book they had different ways you could do probably to appease the medical field, she thought and she does Plan D from the book. So I decided to get my original book and see what they had to say about the CM meals in relation to the RM.

They say that for some reason that if you have 2 CM/low carb meals (I add low carb for the CM for those not familiar with CAD) consisting of high fiber non-starchy vegetables, fat low and carbohydrate intake low, your body responds by releasing less insulin which means less hunger, fewer craving and better satisfaction. I think they said low fat because everything was low fat back then because I remember we had a choice of low or full fat. The thing about the lower level of insulin would prod our boy to take the fat out of storage and use it. They encouraged us to make this a daily habit because the same two meals were designed at the CM to be low incarbs because it would trick your body to release less insulin at the RM. I know the low carb snack at night seems to adjust my body for a lower FBS the next day. So I've decided to have a low carb breakfast/CM in the morning, RM at 3 and then a low carb snack in the evening as a buffer between RM and FBS the next day. I will do this within 8 hr eating window so that I can have 16 hr fasts.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #205  

Our electricity is back on. It wasn't too long. Maybe 2 hours. They are changing all the meters to "smart meters" and it has something to do about easier readings. They came to change ours out a few weeks ago but they said there was a lot of corrosion inside the box so they needed to come back and replace the whole box. That's why it took a little longer than normal, today. The air condition is back on and I have a meat loaf in the oven. I put cubed potatoes around the meat loaf and cover them with tomato soup, then cover it all with foil to bake. After 1/2 hour I cut away the foil over the meat loaf and let it cook the rest of the way uncovered, while the potatoes are still covered. I am also making green beans with it. We really love these frozen green beans from Aldi's. I just read today that the thin green beans like these are lower carb because the bean inside are very tiny. I never knew that.

It seem from what I remember about the first CAD book, she said she had to fast all day for a medical test, then she ate dinner. OMAD She was hungry, so she ate a lot, but was surprised to see her weight was down the next day. The reason they changed it to add the CMs is because they didn't think a lot of people would be able to fast all day and only do OMAD. I might not have that 100% going by memory.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #206  

Trish, I just stopped over at the CAD/CALP thread on the low carb forum and see that the thread has died. The last die hard poster, Eno, said her goodbyes on 7/15. There were very few people following, and they would only post occasionally. It's sad to see her go because she was a wealth of information. So was Makeitwork who posted years back. I wonder if she's still posting somewhere, maybe under another name. I always enjoyed following people like that who never seemed to give up trying different things.

I googled "the second meal effect" and there is so much conflicting information about it. The way I understood it was that if you ate a low carb meal, it would lower the insulin response for the next meal even if it was a higher carb meal. That is basically still what they are saying, but one person said it only has that effect for up to 4 hours. So if there's a longer time period between your meals, you are not going to get the same effect. I guess the only way to disprove that is with your meter. Another site said the eating resistant starch has the same effect. The more I read the more confused I get, so I guess the only thing to do is to do what works best for me.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #207  
Madeleine

Trish, what is CM? I understood the other acronyms. On the obesity code network there is a sticky note with the acronyms spelled out. Don't hesitate anyone to ask what something is. I don't get the low fat. We all know that doesn't work. just makes us crave more food, especially carbs, right? Hope you are getting enough fat, especially the good stuff.
I did well today, fasted until supper, then had a nice high fat supper of ribs (no sauce) sauerkraut and coleslaw. Now nice and full. I stopped eating when I was starting to get full, which meant one rib left. I brought it home. Even if I give it to the dog, didn't want to waste it.
Tomorrow plan is for 2 meals, so will have to plan lunch. I go on call tomorrow at 4 pm, so have to have supper planned to in case I have to work.
Glad everyone is having a pretty good day.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #208  

Carol Sue I actually believe I have the original CAD book because Rachel's story is in there and so is Richard's although Rachel's was the one I went by. Yes she had set up a test to be at the hospital and set it early because she didn't think she could fast all day. If my memory serves me correctly, they woke her to tell her they needed to move the call to 4ish I the after noon and being half awake she accepted the changed time. She wasn't sure she could go until 4, she even took a little of something to eat if she needed it, but to her surprise she successfully fasted till the test was over. If I remember correctly, she stopped at her favorite restaurant and had a feast. Expecting to gain weight she was shocked when she lost weight. She decided to make herself a guinea pig and test another day, another and another until she lost her weight. It is when she met and married Richard that he using his medical research was able to explain why she lost weight and they designed the different plans and I always thought that everyone can't eat only OMAD or even 2 thus the different ways to do CAD to fit the person. Like you say, I'm going to do CAD the way it works best for me. After hearing the conversation between the lady and man on FB CAD, I read the book and understood how Dr. Richard Heller explained that the lower carbed foods would help lower blood sugar. It actually helped me understand some things I had missed before in CAD. I may go back and read to better understand the science behind the plan.

One thing I also read and want to go back and read is the amount of food to eat in the CM meals and the CM snack which makes me agree with the lady on the FB CAD that when you add in other meals even with though they are low carb meals, you should count calories so that you don't eat more calories than you need in a day. Like she said, she likes eating OMAD or 2MAD because she can keep the calories down enough that you don't have to count. Like her I believe if you are eating more calories in a day than you are using up, you are going to gain not lose. I was looking at their conversation on my cell phone and I'm disappointed that the man seems to be bullying her. It is one thing to disagree because your body is different, but no one should think they have the right way just because it works for them. I have tried to bring out the fact on there that because we are all different that the Heller's created the plan in different ways to fit each person. They even say you can move meals and snacks around to fit your lifestyle.

This is one thing I like about our thread here, we study and read different ways of controlling our diabetes and always encourage each other to follow the plan that works for each one individually and that will fit our own lifestyle. I love that we respect each others plans.

Edited to update: I guess the cell phone just showed the conversation between those 2 people, because when I went on FB, I noticed that they both had liked what I said about the flexibility of eating CAD the way it works for each individual. I'm glad because I sure hated to have to leave the group or have to stop sharing on there. Everyone is doing fine.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-25-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #209  

Carol Sue - Eno and I started CAD years ago together when I married DH and moved to FL. I was always so proud of her because she had stayed OP all those years. I think we were on the original official CAD group that was run by the Hellers. It was really nice when they had it because we could ask them questions and they would answer us usually the same day. I left and when I came back years later, they no longer had the official site and I found Eno on the lowcarb site. Is that the lowcarb site that stopped and started another site? I wonder if she moved with it. I hope she is okay. He DH had cancer at one time, but I noticed the last time I saw her post that he was still living. She lived in NC and we were going to meet for lunch sometime, but never did.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:27 AM   #210  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Yesterday was a 19 hour fast and resulted in a BS of 99. Hoping I can do a 16 hour fast today. Oh why, oh why am I still up. Hope everyone gets a good night's rest!
Closed Thread