Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick because I'm not feeling very well right now. I have an upset stomach and headache which a headache is so very rare for me. Not sure what is going on here. FBS was 127, but weight is hung in the low 219. range. I joined the carnivore group because they also are people who fast and follow dietdoctor.com. the woman who started it said she got bashed on the regular groups like that because she didn't eat meat only. Last night I tried eating ground meat with some veggies. I had bought the 80% lean because of trying to do more of a lchf, but the fat in the meat made me sick last night and I think it is the reason I am sick this morning. I cannot eat a high fat diet of any kind because my stomach will not tolerate it. So I will no longer be doing a LCHF way of eating. Not worth feeling this way. We were supposed to go see Daddy this afternoon but I've got to start feeling better than this if I'm going any where.

I've taken Tylenol for the headache and Zantac for the stomach and going to lie down and see if Ican get rid of this.

Y'all have a great day. I'll do individuals when I feel better.

Have a good day.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #287  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

sorry you are feeling so crummy Trish, hope you are on the mend.
Higher fat isn't for everyone. and if it doesn't suit you, try for higher fat without going over board. And sometimes building up slowly lets you know where your limits are without the discomfort. Thats why I am fasting for longer periods, but I didn't start out with a 7 day fast.
Lower carb, higher fat is fine if that works for you, defined numbers of grams of each or ratios may not be best for you.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, I read of a lot of people who lose well, but also regain or struggle to maintain, even though they are closely sticking to plan, or so they say. The body does not seem to like losing weight.

I can understand the doctor's being rewarded in some way for promoting the newer drugs. When they tell you and you also read online that the drug they are prescribing works so much better than the previous drug, and the issue they are protecting against is life threatening you tend to want to go along with what they are telling you. This particular doctor has given me samples of other drugs in the past, and also discount cards. He also goes out of his way to prescribe generics when they are available. So I trust him, pretty much.

The thing is, in US the drug companies do offer assistance programs for their new drugs, but for some reason, senior citizens who are on Medicare are not eligible for the discounts. I think that's strange, because it's usually the elderly who need those drugs. Also, the way most insurance is set up, they will pay a % of the cost and then you pay a copay. But once they pay out a certain $$ amount during the year, you go into what is nicknamed the donut hole, where you have to pay 50% of the cost of the drug, and in my case, the total cost is close to $300/mo. If you reach another $ amount after that, there is what is called catastrophic coverage, where you pay $0. But by the time you get to that point, your finances have already been wiped out by the donut hole. Insurance is great to have as long as you don't get sick. I know I could refuse the new drug and he would prescribe the other one that is now generic. But what if he's right and it doesn't work as well?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #289  

fatmad Thanks for the advice. I really don't like eating too much fat and I really didn't think 20% fat ground beef would be that bad, and I wanted the benefit. So I thought I would try it. I seem to do well using EVOO and even butter but maybe that is because I don't use a lot of it. I do like using a moderate amount of fat when cooking and while I like eating low fat, my beautician says back when FF diets first came out and was popular that people went so low fat that their hair was falling out. So there really are benefits of eating enough fat. When DH #2 was living we ate a lot of high fat meat and I had stomach problems all the time. I never really associated the stomach problems with fat, I thought it was just from overeating, but after last night I realize that overeating and too much fat was probably the problem.

One thing about CAD is that you can eat as much or as little fat as you want and still be OP. Also it is just so very easy for me to do CAD and do IF. I am very fond of eating within a 5 to 7 hr window and having the 17 to 19 hr fast. I ate breakfast this morning thinking it would calm down some of my symptoms, but it didn't affect it one way or another. I haven't eat anything so far. Just not hungry. I don't know if I will get hungry and eat something later or end up doing a 24 hr fast. Just kind of letting my body show me what it needs right now to get through this.

Carol Sue I know what you mean about the help for our new meds. I took our formulary list to our doctor and he was asking me if we could get help from the company itself. I told him that I had checked into it and we don't qualify because we have Medicare Part D. It is sad that if we didn't own a house or have a little bit of savings we could get help. They make us take the Part D which Is fine, but then it is like we are punished for having it. I never understood why it called donut hole since we end up staying in that hole the rest of the year. Thank God our doctor can get us samples for DH. It is sad that I couldn't get the Trulicity or Victoza because they don't give samples of that. However, I guess I am better off doing without them and the side effects than can happen with them.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #290  

Trish, I was wrong when I said the donut hole is 50% of the total cost of the med. It it 50%, then you get an additional 15% discount, so you end up paying 35% of the total cost of the meds. The official name of this payment stage is Coverage Gap. When you have paid $5000 out of pocket then you fall into the Catastrophic Coverage, which is $0 payment and it continues to the end of the calendar year. Most people never reach $5000 out of pocket, so they just stay in the Coverage Gap for the rest of the year. At 35% coverage, my med would cost $115. So that's not as bad as I thought, but it's considerably more than the $38 I am paying now. I don't understand why the manufacturers won't assist those on medicare. I guess there is a reason. I did receive the first month free, but not further discounts. Only people living below the poverty level can get additional assistance. SS does not allow much money for extra, especially if what you do have extra has to be spent on meds.

I think you are doing very well without diabetes meds. Your A1c is below 6 and the only reading you get that is a little high is fasting. Your reading before dinner are great!

I also don't like any ground meat except the 92% lean. We sometimes buy the 85%, but we cook it and drain the fat off, plus I blot it with paper towel, or rinse it with water. If we cook burgers we cook them on the Geo Foreman grill and the fat drains off, then I blot mine. I seem to be ok with other fat. You eat things like bacon and avocado, mayo, butter, olive oil. They are considered high fat foods, so you are not eating low carb either. There is something about the fat on ground beef that makes me feel sick. I have even been feeling squeamish when we get breakfast sandwiches from McDonald's. The sausage and egg just don't sit well with me, and I blot them, also. I think my potty issues could be related to fat.

My step-daughter and husband are looking to buy a house. They have lived in a trailer since they were married, 26 years ago. At the time, we tried to talk them out of buying the trailer and they wouldn't take our advice. Now they are sorry and are having trouble selling it. Used trailers don't sell for much. I looked at the house they want to buy and I tried to point out a few things to them and she got all offended. It is a very nice house, but there are a couple things they could use for negotiating purposes to try to get the price lowered. She just doesn't want to hear it and takes it to mean I am not being supportive. I am trying to save them a few thousand dollars!! Today they are going to get pre-approved and part of me hopes they can't get approved for this particular house. I hate to see them rush into this like they did the trailer.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #291  

I finally ate some soup around 8 pm. BS before I ate was 87 which was surprising to me with all the meds I've taken today. I finally took the generic Claritin D the doctor doesn't like me taking to get rid of the sinus headache. Still not 100% but so much better. So I'm happy with that.

Carol Sue I don't cook ground beef too much because we usually buy hamburgers. I used to buy the patties from Sam's because DH and I always half 1 when we do cook burgers at home. I'm not sure how lean it is, but it is pretty good because it doesn't stay stuck together real well. DH has mentioned that we needed to buy some with a little more fat. So I decided to buy a higher fat this time. Years ago when DH#2 and I cooked the ground beef, I always drained off the fat and patted it dry. I will have to do that with what I still have since I bought 2 packages of it. I will go back to purchasing the one at Sam's. You know I had forgotten that when I ate a lot of high fat in the past that I had potty issues to.

Our Part D insurance maximum before we go into the donut hole or the gap is somewhere around $3700. If DH only had 1 medicine that cost $147 we could do it, but he has 2 meds that cost that besides the other meds he takes. It is hard to spend over $300 a month for just 2 meds. Do you mind telling me who your insurance is with? Are you monthly insurance payments very high? I told doc that I am going to check into a different company when they allow us to change again. I thought I had a good plan for what we pay but if we can't get our meds then it isn't as good as I thought it was. I realize you may not can do it on the thread, perhaps you could PM it to me. Thanks.

I'm sorry your step-daughter can't see that you are trying to help her. Is the house close to y'all?

Just tracked my cals/carb for today om MFP and can't close it out because my total calories for today are 539 and my carbs are 33. So because of illness today, I'm ending up with a DD. I would love to be able to tdo JUDDD/IF combo, but I don't think I could go that low when I'm not ill.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-09-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #292  

The house they are looking at is about 2 miles from our house, but where they live now is only about 3 miles away. Doesn't matter, because they only come here on holidays or when they need something. DH says he doesn't care because he didn't go to see him mother all that often either. I just think she should come more often because you never know when he won't be here anymore. That happened with her mother and she always says she felt so terrible that she never went to see her mother. Her mother lived in Los Angeles. The last time she saw her she was 12 years old, and her mother passed away when she was just turning 21.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #293  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

So true about not knowing how long someone is going to be around.

Having trouble sleeping so I thought I'd pipe in here. Finally check BS (non-fasting) it was not great- too much junk. I am pretty consistently fasting 12-16 hours and hope it pays off in my FBS. Aside from fasting I haven't been doing well balancing out my diet and have been eating stuff that seems yummy to me at the time.

I saw the earlier discussion about how much water we need. One thing that I read that stuck with me is the original study indicating how much water a person needs had a footnote that said we'd get 70% of it from food. It also said the current calculations do not take that into account. On the other hand, I've also read that being well hydrated can lower BS (dilution is a solution).

My scale said I had a half pound loss. Well, first it played music then said that following with saying great job! I am secretly (not so secretly) hoping a whoosh (albeit undeserved) is in my near future.

Off to bed for me- hoping everyone is having sweet dreams...or dreams of sweets as they will have no calories if they are imaginary...
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #294  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

travel day today. SO I likely won't eat anything. I cheated last night and ate ice cream. FBS is 7.2, my highest in years, so thats to blame!

I have also misplaced my wallet. I think its in the loaner care I had yesterday and will go over to the mechanics first thing in the morning to check. It wasn't at the phone store or the restaurant where I went yesterday. If I can't find it, that may affect the travel.
Got my new phone and learning to use it. Its a Blackberry Key 2. so has a keyboard. I had a Key1 before and this is not too different. I have loaded on my apps. But can't remember my password for the password protector! arg.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #295  

Losing your wallet is not good. Hope you find it intact.

Water . While it lowers blood sugar it raises blood pressure .That's why I drink nothing before a doctor's appt.

A non diabetic can get away with a treat between fasting sessions and they actually use the fast as justification sometimes but it will tell a tale on us every time. The finger stick doesn't lie.

I really hope to get back on track today myself.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #296  

I have decided to cut out bacon again. I hear so much about how good it is for LCHF, but it's just not doing it for me. Adding it to my breakfast every morning is not making a difference in how I feel, or the number on the scale. And I'm not convinced that it is not contributing to my blocked arteries. I find myself getting used to it and I don't want that. All it's doing is adding calories to my diet. I do very well with that by myself without any help from the bacon! LOL For so many years, scrambled eggs have been a very satisfactory breakfast for me, with just enough protein and fat to keep me satisfied until my next meal. So for now, it will be something for eating breakfast out.

As usual, I reserve the right to change my mind!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #297  

Going to the beauty shop late today as beautician had to go with her BIL to get his colonoscopy this morning. Her Hubby works out of town and she is the only family to take him and drive him home. I'm going to come back home and get DH so he can go with me to see Daddy and then go to Walmart.

My FBS was 123 this morning and my weight was down 2 lbs. That is great, but then I had a very low calorie day yesterday of 539. Maybe I should rethink JUDDD and try it again. This would be a good day to start it since I will be out all day. It could be done with IF by alternating 1MAD and 2MAD. That would give me a 24 hr fast one day and 19/5 fasting ratio the other. I think I will make today a 2MAD UD and tomorrow I will eat 1 meal DD. I can still track it on MFP and just not finish the calorie count on the DD. I want to track on there because I want to keep the 1 meal around 600 calories or less.

fatmad I hope you get your wallet back with everything still in it and that you have a good trip.

Carol Sue I forgot about water raising your blood pressure. Maybe that is why my bp is always higher at doctor's office. I'm known as a white coat high bp lady. DH asked me the other day when I was not feeling well what my bp was thinking it was up, but it was very low, "Then why is your bp always higher at the doctor's office?" I told him that I have no idea. That was when he checked my blood work and saw that my sodium is too low. Maybe it isn't so low, perhaps it is because I drink too much water before the blood work and the doctor's appointment.

Better get going. I've got a few more things to do before I leave.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #298  

Trish, I am wondering why your sodium would be too low, when you always tell me that MFP tells you you've gone over the recommended amount. Maybe you eat foods that contain sodium, but your body flushes it out. Be careful with it if it's low. My BIL came home from the doctor, then the doctor called and told him to get to the ER because his sodium was very low. DH took him to the ER and on the way he had a seizure, and another one in the waiting room. He is/was on BP med that lowered sodium. He carries a water bottle with him and sips all day long. I don't know how much he is drinking. He says his throat gets dry and the water helps. My sodium is not low, but my foot and leg cramps started around the time my foot pain started. I might buy some electrolyte water.

When I go to the doctor now I don't drink anything beforehand, then I sit very still until they do my blood pressure. I think no water helps with my weight, too. They don't do my blood work at the doctor. They give me a slip for it and I go to a walk-in lab who sends the results to the doctor, but since it is usually fasting blood work I don't drink anything except the water needed to take my meds. The hospital owns the doctor's office and the lab, so they are making money all around. It's difficult to find a doctor in our county who is not owned by the hospital. The cardiologist is, too.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #299  

Pipsicle, does your scale really play music? I have heard of a scale that says your weight out loud. That would not be good unless you lived alone. LOL
Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #300  

Carol Sue I don't know why MFP always shows my sodium too high when my bloodwork shows it is too low. I do remember I SC when doctor asked me if I drink a lot of water and I did. He told me that I was drinking too much and to cut back. So perhaps I'm drinking too much. I think I will cut back on it some and see what happens. I do drink water to stay hydrated before bloodwork so they can find my veins since the people in SC always had a hard time finding them. However, this little girl who draws at this doctor's office has never had a problem finding it. She is so good that she is in and out without any problem and you barely feel a stick. DH and I have talked about how good she is. Also, I never know when doc is going to order a urine test so I try to be ready. However, I do go to see the doctor the following week later in the day because DH and I go together for our appointments and since he sleeps in the mornings we set our appointments up for 1:30 or 2 pm most of the time. I do drink some water during the morning and often even my coffee so that may be why bp reads higher when I see the doctor. I wonder if the problem losing weight is too much water especially after reading what you read about our kidneys only being able to handle 6 c a day. I know from the way the urologist disagreed with the cardiologist when Daddy was in the hospital that the doctors can't seem to agree on how much water we should be drinking. However, either he never told Daddy how much he thought he should have or Daddy never remembered. I do know that with CHF they think you need no more than 8 glasses. I do take that other pill that I my SC doctor gave me for a mild fluid pill that I asked for, but I later found out is a bp medicine so I may need to just stop taking it. I started to stop filling it and decided maybe I should keep some on hand. I think I will stop them completely for a while and see how I do without them. Sodium is an electrolyte and that could be why I feel so wiped out all the time. The only way to know if that is the culprit is to stop taking it. It never was a doctor my doctor decided to give me until I asked for it. So it shouldn't be a problem me giving it up on my own. I only take it now when I think I've had too much sodium for the day and maybe I can't trust that idea any more.

My FBS was 116 this morning. I don't think I've had that low a FBS since I moved to TX. So evidently the way I'm eating is working. I know CAD has always helped me get FBS down but never this quickly. Last night before dinner the reading was 97. I keep hoping if I can get the bs working right that the weight will eventually come down too. I know CAD never worked really fast for me before in weight loss, but the consistency of eating that way did slowly bring it down. I need to start using a tape measure instead of depending on the scales so much.

We had Long John Silver's last night and I think from now on when DH wants it, I'm going to pass and eat something else. It was greasier than usually and even DH felt nauseated after eating it. I hope that will keep him from wanting it any more. One can only hope, but I know I'm not eating it ever again at least not from that one. We do have one that is way out of the way and being on I-35 and down by Baylor University, it might be better. We could try that one day.

My baby sister is back home. I saw pics they took of their trip home and of her and her son hugging that lives about 7 miles from me. They will be living there at least for a while. I look forward to seeing them when they get settled. May that will get me off my duff and clean house at least enough for them to come over. I really am looking forward to our cooking together again. They do keto so maybe I can learn some things from them. And her DH is a great cook. He always cooks the briskets and turkey etc. So looks like some good times in the future for all of us again.

Have a good day.
Closed Thread