Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I looked on the ADA site and it still says 45-60 gm of carb per meal and 15 per snack. But like I said, they count veggies, fruit and dairy as carbs so that takes up a big part of it. I think a lot of people read 45 gm of carb and they eat starchy carbs instead of vegetable carbs.

I ended up with 98 gm of carb yesterday, but I had pancakes with my eggs, half a banana, and I had 1/2 of DH's burger at dinner. It was terrible. I don't know why I ate it. And a bowl of wheat bran cereal, which at least had fiber. I don't usually eat that many carbs per day.

I just sent an email to Kellogg Co to complain about the sugar content of their Special K Protein cereal. It is so sweet I can't eat it. I have been mixing it in with my bran flakes so I don't waste it but I won't buy it again. I have never liked sugar on cereal, even when I was a kid, and if people want their cereal sweet, why can't they just add sugar from the sugar bowl? I know my email will go in the trash bin. LOL I just won't be buying it anymore.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-20-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #287  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I had a whoosh, went from 177 to below 175 in spite of the fact that I did no fasting yesterday. Quite happy with that. Oddly, the fasting is MUCH easier than other ways of restricting calories.

A few challenges I have had;
in order to take food along with me to work etc. I make my smoothies before I leave the house, which is in my fasting state. I often forget I am fasting and lick the spoon I used for the yogurt etc .
So sometimes I am not perfectly strict, yet it is working for weight loss. Hope its also good for blood sugars, I am going to start checking some this week.

Its been a bit hard adding more fats into the diet without upping protein much. Since I am eating very few cooked veggies right now, its all up to the olive oil in the dressings. If it were cooked veggies, I could melt butter onto them.
Now to stick to plan and fast today again.

have a good Monday everyone,
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #288  

My fasting blood sugar was in the 150s this morning, a little bit up. I don't really know why. DH made fried potatoes with dinner but I didn't eat any. Not even one!! They didn't even appeal to me. We picked up a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket and that's all I ate. Today I want to eat some more veggies. I am still lacking when it comes to veggies.

Mad, good for you on the great whoosh! I'm glad this is working so well for you. I remember when Dr Fung's young son said "If you want to lose weight, don't eat!" It sounds like you're doing a 20-24 hour fast, and apparently you are eating a reasonable meal when you do it, and not a huge meal. Surely your blood sugar is greatly improved! Are you still sticking to low carb when you eat? I really don't think licking the spoon would break your fast. I remember when Dr Fung commented that a JUDDD down day of below 500 calories is comparable to a fast day when considering the insulin response. I believe there is some wiggle room.

Trish, I hope things are going well with your Dad's situation and cleaning out his apartment. I am surprised that the woman who wanted to sell his things is the pastor's wife. Did I read that right? To give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she just didn't want you to throw them away or donate them to charity. She should be understanding that family members would want to have things that belonged to their father and grandfather. I remember when my mother passed away a neighbor called and asked to "buy" the washer and dryer. At least she wanted to pay for them, but DH and I were taking them, as ours were so old and didn't work well. My brother took most of her furniture and some we donated. My mother didn't have a lot.

So far the sun is shining this morning, but the weather man says we are going to get rain for the next few days with flooding.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad Congratulations on the whoosh. Looks like you are figuring out how to meet the challenges of working and staying OP. Congrats on that too as that is a great accomplishment as well. I think we all are learning how to make our own plans work for us because we are all different and what works for one may or may not work for the other. I see that even some doctor's are learning this as well.

Carol Sue I don't know what causes certain rises in bs when we seem to be doing everything right. However, I have learned that for me my body needs some carbs. My fbs/bs always went up when I ate 0 or VL carb. I'm sure you will figure it out.

I am going to have DH read Smart Blood Sugar. I am so impressed as to how this is working for me and I have not cut my carbs as far back as she says. My weight is latterly inching down. According to MFP, I haven't lost a lb, but I am back down to where I was last Monday. So no gain, no loss for this week. Just messed with an up and down to stay where I was. That is really good because I started eating this way Friday with a FBS of 173. I got my berberine Saturday and was able to take one pill not long after dinner and this morning my FBS was 146. I believe the Optilevel for BS and the Berberine along with this eating plan I've created that the bs will continually come down and eventually the weight will follow sometime along the way. This is great considering the fact that we had McD cheeseburgers yesterday because we went to see Daddy since they didn't have the usual Suncay morning visitors of the Bible study. DS and BIL were there and then we stayed and visited when they left and came home later than usual. So this plan and the natural diabetic pills I'm taking do work with lowering bs.

One thing I love about this book is that she says that there will be times that you will go back to your old way of eating, BUT she said "just keep practicing" eating this way by getting right back on at next meal or snack. So there is no room for guilt, but there is room for error or slip ups. I don't feel that I have to be perfect.

I am experimenting how to put the starchy carbs in spread over the day to see how that works for me. The way I am doing it is just having it within my meals only because I have no need nor do I desire to eat every 3 hours. I like eating only 2 meals a day as far apart as possible... a minimum of 4 hrs and then a small snack in the early evening.

Carol Sue Yes you are right about the lady. Daddy favors her like a daughter and perhaps she just thought they gave her the right to what she wanted, I don't know. I still have a love for her and her husband and I just chalk it up to no one is perfect. Our plan has always been to let her have what she wanted supposedly because it belonged to her son when he was young and even a few things we didn't want. Daddy does have things he wants certain family members to have. DS and my plan is once everyone has what they want then we would take whatever is left that could be used by someone else would go to Salvation Army to give to others who need it.

In SC DH and I gave things to a place that helped battered women and children because a lady in our church worked there. We knew it was put to good use. Also there was a truck that came around once a month for clothes etc to give to veterans. I don't even know if we have those groups here or not. DS has always given to Salvation Army.

Better call and check on Daddy. I want to get some more reading done before DH gets up. Today is my day to stay home and do my thing. We will go see him tomorrow.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #290  

Trish, I recently found out that the Veterans, Goodwill and Salvation Army do not give their donations to people who need it. It is sold in their second hand stores. My BIL works for the Veterans. He makes calls to people scheduling pick ups. The truck takes the donations to a second hand store where they are sold to the public, and the store owner donates a % to the Veterans. I think it's very hard these days to find someplace that actually gives the donations to those in need. We donate to Goodwill and sometimes to Salvation Army who both have stores in our neighborhood. I guess it's OK as long as you know that's what will be done with it. It would probably be best if you knew someone who needed it to use.

I am feeling pretty good today. I feel like my energy is coming back finally, after my heart attack. It could be because we have the air condition on. When it is hot and humid it seems to sap my energy really bad.

I am going to have to find a way to give up sweets again. For years I could pass on DH's sweets, but since he has been buying fun size Milky Way I have not been able to pass them up. I did great giving them up over Lent, but now I'm back to eating them again. I think I need to find a way to reward myself for passing them up. I need to get God involved again. I really should just realize that I'm not doing my blood sugar any good.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #291  
Madeleine

we had the same thing when I bought a new washer and dryer a few years ago. The old ones were still working, but I wanted a front loader, and matching dryer. Most places did not find need owners for the stuff, but sold it in thrift stores.
The Mennonite Central Committee though, promised to give them to new immigrant families. That sounded good to me. Sure enough, a few weeks later, I was loading a wash into my old washing machine after a home birth! I recognized the scratches. I was quite pleased about that and happy that our wishes were truly honoured.
(we take care of a lot of new immigrants, because they have no money, and sometimes are not eligible for our government plans, but we are paid through the public health branch, so we don't have to bill them, but still get paid ourselves. )

I hope you find the right people to take your father's things, family and friends who will appreciate those things. It sometimes helps to have a piece of that person. I have a lot of the furniture my parents bought, refinished and fixed up over the years. It means a lot to have them. Same when I visit my sister, and see things they had, being cared for and loved. Makes me happy.

Yes, I am eating low carb and fasting about 18 hours the days I fast. I had always considered fasting just that, going the whole day, instead of this IF. It does seem to work. In spite of the oatmeal yesterday, I was ok. Usually carbs make me crave more. I had some cravings in the evening yesterday, but managed to get through. I am getting out of the snack habit. Seems I am managing this with work, lets see how it goes while on holiday.

I am not sure if I will check in while on holiday or not. I plan to leave my laptop at home and just bring the cell and the tablet that I mostly read books on. But my sister will have her laptop so I may use that a bit. I am finding frequent check-ins helpful in staying on plan.
Tonight, I am grilling vegetables tossed with olive oil, and sausage with sauerkraut. (the sauerkraut is supposed to be another way to get probiotics) so thats all on plan.
This is a holiday weekend for us, I think the American one is next weekend.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #292  

Yes, Happy Victoria Day, Mad. There used to be a buyer at work who's last name was Victoria and we always wished him a Happy Victoria Day. I never knew the reason for Victoria Day but I googled and saw that is memorialized Queen Victoria's Birthday. Our Memorial Day is the last Monday in May. It is to memorialize those who died in the service of the country. It was always on May 30 until 1970 when it was changed to the last Monday in May. It is also called Decoration Day because it is the day people decorate the graves of their family members for the summer.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-21-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #293  

I am reading a free Kindle book I got on Amazon called The Starvation Treatment for Diabetes. It was written in 1916 and documents the treatment of type 1 Diabetes before insulin injections came into play. (Starvation = Fasting.) It is Fung Fasting before Dr Fung was even born. LOL Interesting read.

I have also been clicking and bookmarking links last evening and this morning, so I have quite a bit of material to read. I will post anything that I think is significant.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #294  

Carol Sue Thanks for sharing about the Goodwill, Salvation Army and Veterans. I always knew Goodwill kept some of the money and paid their high up lots of money. A minister friend of mine used to work for them and I heard he made good money and they wanted him to take a higher position in the company but he didn't take it. I liked them because they hired handicapped people that other people wouldn't hire to work for them.

I'm agreed to donate money to a place called Women's Cancer Fund and then I found out that a lot of these places are scams. I can't find anything out about the company through BBB so I've decided not to give to them because the name is so close to being the same as one that I read was a scam. It is really a shame that people out there need help and you don't know who to help.

My weight is up a little and FBS was 163. I think it is because I bought a sandwich meat that isn't lowfat and it tasted a little sweet. The package says less than 1 g sugar, but we know we can't always trust that. I had a couple of slices with some cheese for my evening snack around 8ish. Not sure the weight gain but it just a fluctuation thing, but I'm sure I got some sugar.

fatmad I like the fasting too although mine isn't as long sometimes as others but always at least 14 to 16 hr fast. Thanks for sharing about not adding coconut oil to coffee. I was trying to do that in small amounts to build up. I didn't do that this morning. Also thanks for the heads up on the probiotics in the sauerkraut. I actually forgot that. I need to change what I'm snacking on at night. DH does his own thing. I think I will get me some sausage which I like and put it in sauerkraut.

I'm on the berberine correctly according to Dr. Julian Whittaker so that should help me start getting more consistently lower bs reading. I used to drink coffee with a dose in the morning as he suggested and then ride the recumbent bike. Then I would eat breakfast. I'm want to go back to the modified CAD I was doing that worked so well with the new tweaks I've learned from the Smart Blood Sugar book and Dr. Fung. CAD the way I was doing with these new tweaks along with the fasting should work great. This way my starchy carbs would be eaten at one meal. I like eating keto type meals/snacks and I need to get away from eating chips. I've gotten in the habit of those again. If I eat them earlier in the day at one meal I have no problem, but I cannot get back in the habit of eating them later. I still have the situation eating out from time to time and a 1 carby meal a day keeps me from losing ground with controlling bs and weight loss.

Fatmad enjoy your Holiday and check in when you can. I'm sure you will do fine. It just takes planning. I'm learning that is why CAD works so well for me. I can plan to go out with family and not worry about what is in my food as long as the rest of the meals that day are OP. It does away with the guilt and gives me control. Plan as good as you can and then do your best and you will be fine.

Y'all have a great day. I got to go get on my bike.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #295  

I took 1 Berberine and 1 Optilevel for BS and drank 1 c coffee with Splenda and 1 Tbls full fat half & half before doing my 20 minutes on the recumbent bike. I cooked my moderately low carb breakfast and then checked bs before eating. FBS was 163 this morning and is 136 before eating. This is the way this works for me.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #296  

Trish, my BIL who works for the Veterans does this part time to supplement his SS. Each week he is given an area to call to schedule pickups. He get minimum wage for 20 hours per week, plus he gets some small amount for each pick up he schedules, less than $1 each, but I forget how much, and he has to have a certain number of pick ups scheduled or he does not get paid at all. Then the day before the pick up he has to call them all back and remind them. He has done this for years, starting after he lost his regular job. I would not want that job, but they have lists of people who have donated in the past so they usually just call the same people and cross people off the list who have never donated.

I do not donate money to any charities unless I really know who they are. There are just too many scams that have been uncovered.

My FBS was 147 this morning. Not TOO bad but not as good as I was getting before. I stopped using the creamer in my coffee but it still continues to climb for a while after I get up. Maybe that's because I get up so early. I will still use the creamer once in a while. I still have a new canister plus half of the old one left over. It tastes good and it is sugar free, so I really don't think it's hurting me to use it. I just don't want to go back to it every day. If I get coffee out somewhere I always drink it black because this creamer I have is the only one I like. Mostly the only place I get coffee out is at McDonald's at breakfast. I like coffee with my eggs.

Trish, how often do you and DH go to the doctor? When my doctor was in private practice he only required that you go once a year to get new prescriptions, but now that he is affiliated with the hospital he schedules us once every 3 months. DH didn't want to go so he cancelled his last appointment. Now when we picked up his most recent med refill there was a note that he must be seen by the doctor before the next refill. He said he will just stop taking the med. I don't want him to do that and I don't know if he will really do that. I keep telling him if he doesn't take his BP meds he will end up like his Uncle, who refused meds and had a serious stroke. He always said he hoped he didn't end up like his uncle. He has 90 days of meds now so hopefully he will change his mind when the time comes. I can't force him, but I will end up taking care of him if something happens. I don't know why he is so stubborn. I wish we could find a way to get his BP down without meds. I know it would help if he lost weight, but his weight isn't really that bad. He could probably get off the meds if he lost and maintained 20 lbs. I make it sound so easy. LOL I could probably get off the meds if I lost 20 lbs, too. Maybe I could do that to set an example for him.

It looks like it's going to rain all day today. For some reason, today feels like Sunday to me but I hear the garbage truck going down the road so I know it isn't Sunday. LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #297  

Jerry Mathers from Leave It To Beaver is on Dr Oz today. He said he went to the doctor and his blood sugar was over 400. He did not know he had Diabetes. He has lost 89 lbs and is now in the prediabetic range. He walks 5 miles a day (whew!!) and has lost 89 lbs with dietary changes. They showed his plate of how he should eat and it was 50% veggies, 30% protein and only 20% carb. His carb portion was only 3 little pieces of potato.

I'm going to watch the rest of the show. It's all about diabetes.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #298  

I just painted my toenails. Now I'm all ready for sandals......when my foot stops hurting!! LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #299  

Not much going on here today. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 AM   #300  
Madeleine

Weight is staying down at 175, so pretty pleased with that, and stayed on plan yesterday. I go off call this evening, have started the packing. It is getting warm and almost hot here and will be a little cooler on my trip.
One thing is that when travelling, I tend to walk a lot. I like the slower pace that lets me see more. So I will get lots of exercise I think.
I am happy with this fasting plan, it will make it easier to stick to plan away from home, I hope. I do plan to eat lots of fish and seafood. I just have to skip the bread and rice served with it, and keep the butter from the bread. If I can come back with no weight gain, I would be happy.

I have not gone back to reading the books more yet, just managing with what I am doing. Perhaps there is more wisdom, but I have not been in the mood for more theory, just want what works. And this is working.

Hope you are all finding the path for yourselves.
Closed Thread