Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #436  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

No mice again this morning, and there have been no further signs that they are around, so day 3. Last time I used my oven, one came running out because it got too hot under the stove, so that could possibly happen again today when I bake the brownies. We didn't have any signs of any mice other than in the kitchen. All the traps set in the other rooms remained empty.

I was up around 6 and playing around on the internet, now it's time to start the potato salad. I hope DH eats a good lunch today because I think we won't be eating until around 6 at his son's. They eat much later than we do. I hope they are just having a regular old cook out so I can just eat hamburger patties. I hope the weather stays nice so they can have their party out on the deck. My knee isn't going to want to navigate their stairs. They have a full kitchen in the lower level next to the game room. It's a great set up for entertaining but the stairs are hard on my knees. When they were doing their remodeling they took the banisters down. That was terrible for me!! It's no fun to get old.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-17-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #437  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I wound up eating about 7 pm last night. Fasting while attending the birth was hard because I didn't want to drink too much and be running to the toilet all the time. But I had packed low carb foods so I did ok. I had a snack before bed too, so a 5 hmour eating window. Nothing so far today. I worked a few hours in the morning, and am home now, so can drink water all I want.
DH and DD have gone to the theatre for a play, so I am on my own most of the day. its really hot here, and humid, so I will likely stay in that air conditioning most of the time.

Carol, lets hope the mouse and critter issue is resolved. I am allergic to cats, but like them. I would love to have a cat and not worry about mice. No issues here in the townhouse, but when we were in the country they were a nuisance.

Happy Father's Day to the men in our lives, I am missing my own Dear Dad so much. I have nothing but happy loving memories though, and that means a lot
Old 06-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #438  

Mad, I baked the brownies and nothing came running out, so I'm hopeful that we have no more mice. I like cats, too, and am also allergic. When my step-children moved out of the house they both got cats....wonder what they were telling me. LOL My step-son no longer has his, but my step-daughter still has hers. I can usually go to someone's house and not be bothered by the cat as long as I don't touch them or pick them up, but my step-daughter's are long haired cats and they bother me after about 15 minutes in the house, even if they are not in the room. The thing I don't like about cats is they are known to bring the mouse to their owner as a gift, LOL and they are not always dead.

All my food is ready and we will be leaving in a while. So far the sun is still shining and it's hot and humid.

Happy Father's Day to your DH.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #439  

Still no mice. Yay!!

I did not do real well staying off carbs yesterday. I had a few bites of potato salad while I was making it but none when we ate our meal. I also had some little crackers my DIL put out. She is the fancy entertainer and always has the best appetizers. They have a nice specialty shop near their house. She bought some sage cheese that was really good, and she also had a block cream cheese with pepper jelly poured over it. That tasted like it might have had sugar in it. I pretended I didn't notice it. LOL That's where the crackers came in to play. It was just a cookout with hamburgers, hot dogs and corn on the cob. I ate mine without buns, and did have an ear of corn. I wanted another one but I resisted.

I did not have any brownies, though, but ate a few crumbs that were left in the pan after I cut them. The brownies and potato salad was left at their house.

I consider the day a blip, not a failure, and am just continuing on.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #440  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just a quick flyby. Sore throat all weekend. Have doctor's appointment at 1:30 and hope to get an antibiotic. Only good thing is I can't eat because it hurts to swallow.

Carol Sue You did fairly well at the cook out. Now you just move forward.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #441  

Hope you feel better, soon, Trish.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #442  

Funny, funny story. We just got home from the store. We were in the basement, and I was in the back where we store extra food. We have a landline back there. All of a sudden, DH starts yelling "Answer that phone!!" I said "It's not ringing" but I did pick it up and say Hello to the dial tone. Then he realizes it's his cell phone in his pocket that he hears ringing. Ha Ha Ha.. I received no apology.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #443  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol: glad you didn't have to deal with mice while you were cooking. Sounds like you did quite well on a deal with lots of temptation. I'm thinking its an up day for you.
Trish, hope its bacterial and an antibiotic would help, did you have a fever?

I made it to 40 hours for my fast. Had a smoothie for a late lunch, and low carb taco stuff stuffed into red peppers and grilled. I did cave and ate a few tortilla corn chips which I had for DH's taco stuff, but no so much that I am worried.
I'm pretty happy with things. I am starting to explain the fasting thing to DH. I have been quiet about it so far. He is keeping an open mind, he knows I haven't been able to stick to other plans. And he worries for my health, and co-operates to some degree, so its time to explain things. He is worried about the coeliac disease. I may not be able to always stay low carb, but I know now I can't eat wheat again, so I won't be caving on that, like I don't have citrus because of my allergies, no matter how much I miss orange juice and lemonade, never mind the wonderful foods that have those ingredients.

I am finally feeling better, got home from work today with the desire and energy to do something besides lay on the couch. That included doing many errands and shopping for and making supper. I got the recipe when I babysat for a neighbour last week. I made up the low carb taco spice the next day, and have been waiting for the chance to do it. Tasted good. I am happy with the spice mix, tasty without the added sugar or corn flour. That makes it fine for me, and acceptable to DH and DD, they can have tortillas and I can do my thing with the peppers. Everyone is happy.

Have a good day friends, Happy Monday
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #444  

Hi Mad, glad to hear things are going so well for you, that you are finding a solution to some of the dietary issues you have been having for so long!

The taco seasoning sounds like a good idea.

DH is no longer trapping mice and there is no sign of them now. There is still a regular snap trap set between the stove and refrigerator but nothing has hit it so far. I do think we're over that.

I have been eating a cereal mixture of bran flakes and Fiber One for a while now, for the fiber. I never actually tested blood sugar afterwards, until yesterday, and it was a shocker! I ate 1/2 cup of it first thing with a half banana. Blood sugar spiked in the high 200s. Thinking it might have been a fluke I did it again this morning. Blood sugar spiked to the mid 200s from a fasting level of 112. . So I guess this is off the menu and I will have to depend on my veggies for the fiber. I might try it one more time, having it along with the scrambled eggs. I've heard it said that protein and fat slows the absorption of carbs.

Funny thing at step son's on Sunday. He has a mechanical heart valve and takes Coumadin. He has his meds regulated to allow him to eat a serving of veggies containing VitK daily, which is usually not allowed on Coumadin. Catch is, he has to have it EVERY DAY. There for a while he was eating broccoli, but now has switched to spinach. DIL steams fresh spinach for him at dinner. Well, apparently my DGS has started eating it too. So he and dad were fighting over the spinach. LOL Dad won, because there was a limited amount left and it's a necessity that he has it. It just seems so surprising that a 9 year old would fight over spinach. He is a very healthy eater and I hope he stays that way. He does loves sweets, but they limit what he has. They are a low-carb family in that they rarely eat potatoes, pasta or rice, but they do eat sweets.

A woman was supposed to come last night about a piece of exercise equipment I have for sale. It's a duplicate that I don't need. She didn't show and didn't call. I hate when people do that. If you aren't coming, pick up the phone and call. I have her number but I'm not going to beg her to buy it and sound desperate. It's not enough money to worry about.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #445  

fatmad It is really great that you are able to get on a plan that is working for you. Congratulations on the 40 hr fast. It is great when your family is on board with what you are doing. It really is easy to do the low carb as long as you are doing it at home most of the time. It is when you eat out that can cause the problem for me most of the time.

I was reading on WebMD today how sugar affects our body and I am amazed that a lot of the problems people have actually comes from eating too much sugar and white flour as well as some vegetables that turn to sugar in our system. I was actually amazed. Makes me want to eat a lot less of those foods.

Carol Sue I'm glad you got the mice situation taken care of.

You know when I married DH, his daughter and I both worked at eating healthier foods. While we did have some candy etc around, I mostly pused fruit and veggies for snacks with the kids when they were at my house so they were eating the same both at home and at our house. I remember us going to a baby shower where they had hamburger and hot dogs and both veggie and fruit trays as well as the usually chip and dip trays. Everyone was amazed that here were 3 kids 8 yrs old and younger who kept going back for more veggies and fruit and not eating any chips. It is amazing, but it can be done. When they lived with us in SC, DD and I couldn't keep enough fruit and veggies for the kids after school snacks. The oldest boy and youngest girl were always fighting over raw broccoli because that went first. LOL

I am feeling a little better today. I'm on a Zpak of amoxycillin for 5 days. The strep swab came back negative, but I have bronchitis. He also told me to start taking Zyrtec instead of Clairitin D. Of course, doctors don't like diabetics taking D. It did cause my heart to race this time so I know I probably can't take them any more.

I have only been eating soup once a day throughout the weekend because my throat hurt too much when I swallowed. Last night I was so hungry all evening that I could have eaten everything in the house. So today I'm back OP. My FBS was up to 162 which isn't so bad since I used honey as a natural antibiotic to heal and sooth my throat until I could get to the doctor and get my antibiotic. That and gargling with salt water worked great. I wish I had known about it before Sunday. The good thing is my weight is was 217.4 this morning. Hopefully getting back OP will keep it going down.

Daddy is clear of infections and is going back to retirement center today. DS called Saturday and said she got a letter from Medicaid that Daddy had been denied again. She called and found out that because the big check she had written to pay off his visa car had not cleared when they checked his checking account that he had too much money. Now that has cleared, he will qualify, but she has to start over by refiling. He was over by $100. Isn't this crazy? Talk about the red tape and the ridiculous cost to the government as well as her. But at least, he will be accepted and it will be settled.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #446  

Trish, the red tape with Medicaid is just ridiculous. These programs are supposed to help those who need it, but they need to do a song and dance to get the help. I hope you get it all worked out.

I'm so glad you got meds and are starting to feel better. At least being sick helps us with our weight loss. LOL

I am doing good staying away from carbs. Today I had scrambled eggs cooked in butter, for lunch I had sauteed spinach and kale, and for dinner we went out and I had baked cod, carrots, and broccoli soup. I know the carrots are starchy veggies but I don't count that as carbs. I didn't eat the rolls. I didn't even realize they were mine until we were finished eating. I thought they were DH's. DH got loaded fries with cheese and bacon. I tried to eat one of his fries and it missed my mouth and fell into my lap. DH laughed so hard! I was just not supposed to have that french fry.

The more I read this book about The Art and Science of Low Carb Living the better I get at avoiding the carbs. There is so much info in that book that is convincing me that I need to stay on this plan. DH bought some more Milky Ways but he has them on the refrigerator, which I need a step stool to get to them. Out of sight, out of mind.

I am starting to burn out of the spinach and kale so I will switch back to onions and cabbage for a while for a change. The same with the avocados. I'm getting tired of them. I won't buy them again for a while.

Past my bedtime. Goodnight!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #447  

First day back on plan has gone pretty good inspite of illness. I probably shouldn't bother testing bs readings during the day until this is over because the medicine is messing with my bs and raising it. Otherwise all has gone well.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:46 PM   #448  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Just wanted to say a quick 'hello'. I'm in the prediabetic range and would really like to prevent it from going further. Thank you for mentioning Dr. Fung. His theories are really interesting. I have been half-heartedly trying fasting. The 16:8 seems reasonable but I am challenged by the 24 hour fast (or longer ones for that matter). Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #449  

Hi Pipsicle. I'm glad you stopped by. Stopping prediabetes in it's tracks before it gets a chance to take hold is a very smart move to make. Fatmad who posts here has been dabbling in fasting successfully. The nice thing about it is, you can start slow and build. You can start with smaller fasts and then increase it gradually to challenge yourself. Then the longer fasts get easier.

I hope you come back again and tell us more about yourself, and share what all you have been doing to fight this terrible disease. We WILL win!!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #450  

I am very happy with the way my blood sugars have been improving with this new low carb plan I've been implementing and how I've been able to reduce my meds. The only meds I took yesterday were in the morning after I got the spike from the cereal. I didn't take anymore after that because I was not eating any starchy carbs. When I checked before I went to bed my BG was 77. That seemed a little low, and I was concerned about an overnight hypo, so I ate 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. When I got up this morning my FBG was 112. That's such a great improvement from the readings I get when I'm eating more carbs. When I did this before I eventually allowed the carbs to creep back in. I'm hoping with the information I'm getting from the book I will be more reluctant to do that. I was a little hungry during the night and I didn't sleep well. I'm hoping that improves as my body gets used to having fewer carbs.

I am down another lb, so I have lost half of the 6 lbs I put on during my little carb fest. Weight is coming down, blood sugar is coming down. That should convince me that this plan is the way for me to go.

Today I will eat my regular scrambled eggs, and will saute some cabbage and onion for lunch, and add in the last bit of spinach/kale mix. I don't know what I will make for dinner. I want to make some cheese sauce that I can keep in the fridge for a few days to add to cooked broccoli and cauliflower. I don't usually like to take the time to make a cheese sauce for my veggies, but someone on another forum mentioned that they make it ahead and it keeps for a few days. Having that on hand will help get DH to eat more veggies, too, and he can also put it on his french fries.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-20-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Closed Thread