Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat - Spring 2018

Spring has sprung!!

Welcome to the Diabetes thread. If you have been Diagnosed with Diabetes or Prediabetes, join us here for support with Blood Sugar Readings and Weight Loss.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #2  

Diabetes causes different challenges when it comes to weight loss. You have to always consider what you are eating, and when. Some diet plans have restrictions that we cannot follow. We can tweak the diet plan to suit our dietary and lifestyle needs, or we can choose another plan. Some of us configure our own plan and that is fine, as long as it works for us and keeps us healthy. Either way, our blood sugar readings are of utmost importance. Dietary choices and exercise are both necessary to keep our Diabetes under control.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #3  

Trish, you are going to be busy this week! It's great that you are going to help your DGS with his surgery. It's always nice to know someone is going to be there for you when you wake up and to accompany you home and get you settled in. And all while you're tending to your Dad. If it wasn't for you taking your Dad to his appointment, they still might not know why he is so weak. God guided you to TX for a reason.

Yesterday I had a little pain in my foot. Today it is worse, and extending to my legs, too. So I got up and had a half banana. Since I now know I do not have high liver enzymes I can continue with the small portions of fruit I eat. I guess my body needs them. I am down another pound today. 196. I tried to wiggle it down to 195, but no, it wasn't going to budge. I am happy to be seeing a drop on the scale however small, and just hope I can continue this. I am not hungry, and also cravings and appetite are low, but I know that can change quickly.

My blood sugar has been higher. At 5 AM it was 144. I went back to bed, and when I got up a few hours later it was 163. I am surprised at this. I have been doing some longer IF than before but I'm actually eating the same as I was before, just not as often. I am going to be aware of it, but not panic as long as it does not go up higher. When I was getting the lower FBG readings, I was eating a mostly veggie dinner, but I don't want to do that if I'm only eating OMAD. I may have to rethink my meal scheduling. There just might be something to the smaller more frequent meals the diabetes educators are always recommending. We'll see. It's just odd that I can't find something that contributes to both weight loss and lower blood sugar.

Today is 2 meals, so I will be eating my scrambled eggs soon. I think I will cook steak for dinner for DH and I'm not sure for me. I have some salmon I could grill.

We have a winter storm coming in tonight. They predicted either 2-4 inches of snow or 6-10, depending on which way the storm travels. What a way to start spring!!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 304.2/298/124

Height: 5'3"

Just dropping in to let you all know i'm still around. Tomorrow I have my one on one meeting with the diabetes nutritionist so it will be interesting to hear what she has to say, and next Monday will be the full day class.

Wannabehealthy I'm glad you're losing and I hope you can work out the balance to get your BS down as well.

pattygirl I am glad your dad finally has a diagnosis with which to work and some definitive advice about his future. Hopefully that will take some stress off everyone since knowing where to start is a big help. I'm glad you have a conscientious cardiologist. It's wonderful when you have a physician that takes the time to really assess a situation and listen to what you're saying.
I'm shocked that your grandson would even consider going into surgery without informing anyone. I'm glad you were free to be there for him.

I think I need a diabetes support group legend for all these abbreviations, lol. I have no idea what nearly any of them mean. Besides FBS and MFP I am lost, especially with what i'm assuming are diets(ex. OMAD, IF, CAD, JUDDD, etc).

Last edited by momtopands; 03-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I've had to come to terms recently that I am pre-diabetic, and might well have been diabetic (undiagnosed) at my higher weight. I am glucose intolerant (I have a glucose meter at home and check my blood sugar routinely- carby foods send my blood sugar sky high), have fatty liver (as diagnosed with a CT scan) and my A1C is in the pre-diabetic range.

I have shifted to a low carb / very low carb method of eating, I also do intermittent fasting, as per Dr. Jason Fung, dietdoctor.com and idmprogram.com . If I do eat carby food, my new rule is must exercise after eating to bring down my blood glucose. My hope is that through a low carb diet and IF, that I'll be able to restore my insulin sensitivity.

I've been following Dr. Bernstein and Type1Grit on social media and while directed at T1D's, I find a lot of the info is really good for people who have T2D or pre-diabetes so I follow that as well.

This is definitely an added incentive to not return to my old style of eating, no matter what. Pasta still looks good to me- but not at the expense of my health or life.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtopands View Post
I think I need a diabetes support group legend for all these abbreviations, lol. I have no idea what nearly any of them mean. Besides FBS and MFP I am lost, especially with what i'm assuming are diets(ex. OMAD, IF, CAD, JUDDD, etc).
Sorry to confuse you, Momtopands. OMAD is One Meal A Day, IF is Intermittent Fasting, CAD is Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and JUDDD is Johnson's Up Day Down Day.

OMAD is self explanatory. IF can vary from having an 8 hour eating window with a 16 hour period of fasting to doing an all day fast overnight to the next day. OMAD is a form of IF. The basics of CAD is eating 2 meals of no carbs, and eating carbs at the third meal only. JUDDD is also a form of IF, but you eat one day of regular meals, and the alternate day is under 500 calories. Different things work for different people.

I am looking forward to hearing what your diabetes educator has to say.

EagleRiverDee, I'm so glad you stopped in here. It's best to catch your Diabetes in the early stages, before it becomes full blown diabetes. Some people can go into remission just with weight loss like you've had. A walk after a meal is recommended, so you are on the right track. Since you are already on track with weight loss, healthy eating and exercise, you should have no problem keeping this under control. I hope you continue to join us here, we could use your input!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
EagleRiverDee, I'm so glad you stopped in here. It's best to catch your Diabetes in the early stages, before it becomes full blown diabetes. Some people can go into remission just with weight loss like you've had. A walk after a meal is recommended, so you are on the right track. Since you are already on track with weight loss, healthy eating and exercise, you should have no problem keeping this under control. I hope you continue to join us here, we could use your input!!
Oh, I'd love to join in. I have a lot to learn. It was quite a shock when I found out I was insulin resistant and pre-diabetic. It explains a lot, but it still came as a shock. It changes what "maintenance" means for me, because it means that unlike a person who isn't insulin resistant, I might never really be able to eat "normal" foods even in moderation. I look forward to learning from everyone here how you all handle it. I do believe firmly that I can prevent myself from being diabetic through diet, though. I've been reading and following Dr. Jason Fung, who reverses T2D in his patients with a combo of IF and low-carb and so I do believe I can do it too. But it's a learning curve, for sure!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I can't believe your spring is starting with so much snow. Stay warm girl. Co ngratulations on losing another lb. That is great.

I don't understand about the FBS either. Mine was high yesterday morning and I really took a chance by just eating what I wanted instead of following a diet plan. Evidently I do better that way as my FBS was down 18 pts this morning and I checked it again after the coffee and before breakfast and it was down another 17 pts. Plus my weight came down 1.4 lbs this morning from yesterday. This is such a confusing situation for me.

I don't have blood work to see my doctor until July 20th. That gives me 1 month to get on a eating routine that I can live with and then still have the last 3 months before having the A1c checked. While it is true that I have a lot going on in my life, I've decided that I don't have to let it derail me and ruin my health because there will always be something in my life that I can use as an excuse to keep me in this rut with my weight and health. I am going to work to learn how work around all these things and some how make them work for me and not against me. I want to learn how to eat so that I can do my best to keep my weight coming down and my A1c coming down to normal in spite of what is going on around me. I actually think my eating is becoming more of an IE/IF way of eating. That is fine with me as long as it works.

No free time until next Monday so I will be checking in when I can. DH is up so I've got to go do my hair and dress so I'll be ready to go out to see Daddy this afternoon.

Have a good day.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #9  

EagleRiverDee, I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2008 while in the hospital recovering from heart surgery. It was a shock to me, but shouldn't have been, because my eating was terrible and I was 217 lbs, my highest weight ever. When I saw my PCP for a follow up visit he said my blood sugar was "getting up there" but he never told me. I don't know if that would have helped because I don't know if I would have changed anything. Since that time, I have gone through periods of denial where I was once again, eating terrible, lots of sugar and carbs, not even checking blood sugar, because what I didn't know didn't hurt me. I lost about 20 lbs but never made any major changes until now. I know it's much harder to get under control because I let 10 years go by, but I hope to do it now. I am experimenting with different things to see what will work for me. I don't discuss it a lot with my doctor because his answer is just to add more meds. Most of what I've learned has been from reading things on the internet and trying different things to see how they worked for me. I hope to get off my meds and control this with diet and exercise. I can't imagine getting down to your current weight, but I would love it.

Trish, I feel very full right now, as if I overate, but my calories on MFP were 1186. The fullness might be because of all the water I'm drinking. Only 6 cups a day plus what I drink with my meds, but that is much more than I was drinking before. I think my body is starting to adjust to less food. I sure hope so. I cooked a steak for DH but cooked salmon for myself, then ate some green beans with it, and finished off with some SF Jello with Rediwhip. That gives me the taste of a little treat without many calories.

I want to continue with this and continue losing. I have this problem if I have a slip up, it turns into a binge that can go on for days, so I don't want to let that happen. I have already been thinking about Easter, and what I can eat to stay somewhat on plan. Also, I hope I can stay away from DH's candy after Lent is over. I've done great with that!

Keep us posted on your Dad's progress, and let us know how your grandson's surgery goes.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #10  

momtopandsGlad to know you are still around and thanks for checking in. We love hearing from you. Let us know how your meeting goes with the nutritionist and the class. It will be interesting to see what they say since a lot of nutritionists have pulled away from the old ADA diet or at least improved on it.

EagleRiverDee Welcome to our group. Glad to have you hear with us. Please do jump in and share with us. We love learning from each other.

We went out to see Daddy. I wasn't sure what I was going to find because he said something to me about his left leg shaking during the night like his right leg did in the hospital. DS had talked to him too and we just could not understand what he was telling us. I was concerned that maybe he had another stroke on the other side. This is why I go see him all the time to keep up with what is going on. I need to see for myself.

We had stopped and got him a Long John Silvers dinner that I took in and set up for him to eat. It is difficult to watch him struggle with things, but I needed to see how he doing with the task of feeding himself. He is feeding himself so much better than he was a few days ago. They used some type electrodes on his right hand and I don't think he even realized that he was holding the box the food came in while he was taking the fries out to put them on the paper towel to eat. Come to find out, they had worked him so hard yesterday and last night he had spasms in the left leg that hurt so bad that they had to finally give Tylenol for it. The spasm is explainable. Nothing bad going on.

I am excited to see improvement. He doesn't see it because it wants it to be faster. He said they put electrodes on his leg so that he could stand and then they taught him to bend his knees so he could sit down without just falling in to his chair. That in itself is a huge improvement. So I am very happy with his progress. DH explained to him what happens in the brain when you have a stroke and how things re-route themselves in the brain so that the messages are related so you can walk again and get everything back. He told him that it will heal itself, but it is slow and takes time. This is why I love having DH go with me. I heard tell his RN that he wanted to know what DH thinks about what is going on with him. I told DH when we left, "You just gave my Daddy peace of mind". My Daddy has panic attacks and I think DH medical knowledge helps keep Daddy calm.

I've been so interested in Keto and Paleo and would love to do it when I get things calmer around here. I thought I had a book called Paleo for beginners but never found it. I did find a magazine I bought sometime or other on Paleo recipes. I decided to take it with me and start reading it on the way to see Daddy. On the front of the magazine it says in big letter, Meat + Fish + Nuts + Vegetables + Fruit. That is pretty much what Paleo eating is without even reading the book and I wondered "where in the world has my brain been?" Why haven't I paid attention to this magazine before.

This is the way I like to eat. In fact, when I married DH and moved to FL, I was fascinated at all the beautiful fruit (some of which I'd never seen or heard of) and I tell you I could have become a fruitatarian. I fell in love with fruit and I lost weight. It just melted off and I was very healthy and felt great. I will take it with me to the hospital in the morning to read it while DGS is in surgery. It seems that there are many different ways to eat Paleo and you can just figure how it will fit your lifestyle.

Carol Sue I wonder if some of you potty issues is all the veggies. I came home today and cooked left over spaghetti. Although I eat a small amount of the pasta, I cooked a load of veggies including the zucchini spirals and then added enough sauce for flavor along with a salad and I've had several potty trips. Not unbearable, but definitely enough to be doing some detoxing. I suspect it is because of the veggie fiber.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #11  

Trish, I don't think I have been eating a lot of veggies this past week, just what I've had at dinner with DH. I didn't have any issues yesterday and I didn't have a salad, so that could be it. I don't know. I can't usually see any rhyme or reason. It just happens.

I have never been a big fruit eater. It might be because we never had fruit growing up. I got into the habit of the half banana for my leg cramps and the half orange for my Vit C. I heard about blueberries being a super food and that's why I started eating them, but it's all very small quantities.

My foot is hurting really bad today, but it's not the same foot that was hurting so bad last time. LOL I have been tearing the place apart trying to find my insoles I bought before and can't find them. I really don't think I would have thrown them away, but I just don't know where they are. They really helped me before. I got them in Walmart and could always buy another pair, but they were $12. I hate that when I know they have to be here somewhere. I could barely walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night and DH had to get up and get some Motrin for me. It helped a bit but I am really hobbling.

We got about 5 or 6 inches of snow overnight. Not too bad, but Rusty is having trouble going out. LOL DH will have to clear a path for him, or maybe it will warm up and melt.

Our water was off last night starting around 7 or 8 o'clock. We don't know why. We got a dribble for a while then it stopped. DH managed to fill 2 big pots from the dribble before it went off completely. When I got up during the night I turned the faucet on in the bathroom and the water was back on.

I pray your Dad will relax and let the healing take the time that it needs. I am praying for Donna, that she is able to find a new home for her family and heal from the loss they have experienced.

Now I'm going to look further for my insoles. LOL
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #12  

A quick flyby for tonight. DGS surgery went fine. I like his surgeon. He had to remove the old screen and repair the hernia and put a new one in. He put the screen behind a muscle and had to sew the muscle. Something about sewing from the inside. I didn't understand that part only that he is going to be in a lot of pain and he is. He got upset because he didn't think they were nice enough and not doing what he asked, but I think it was because he was just in so much pain. He is home. I was upset when I checked on him and found out that his partner stays at her parents when she works and he will be alone tonight. Hopefully he will call me if he needs me. I don't like the fact that he is going back to work Monday although he will only be doing sales and his partner will be doing the work. I can't understand why this surgery is an Outpatient surgery as I think he should have been able to stay in the hospital at least one night.

I'm pretty beat so I will write more tomorrow before I go to see Daddy and meet with the team at Health Care center. Thanks for y'all's prayers I appreciate y'all.

Good night.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #13  

Hi Trish. I'm glad your DGS's surgery went well. More and more surgeries are out-patient now. A lot of times, they will not let the patient go home if they are going to be alone, though, at least that's how it is at our hospital. I hope he's OK.

My foot still hurts, and I have not been able to find those insoles I bought. I think I will find them after I buy a new pair. That's usually the way it goes. I would be better off if I just left them lay out somewhere, but when I put things away, I forget where I put them. I have looked all the places I thought they would be and DH has helped me. We didn't go out anywhere yesterday because of the snow. Roads were mostly clear but I didn't want to take a chance. DH measured, and we got 8 inches of snow. It should be gone by the weekend as the temps are going to go up into the 40s/50s. That's one nice thing about spring snow.

My blood sugar was 173, but that could be because of all the pain I'm in with this foot. I took Tylenol Arthritis and that did nothing. So this morning I took Motrin and also rubbed on some Aspercreme with Lidocaine and it's bearable now. I guess I should get off to Walmart and get those insoles before the pain comes back.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #14  

As I was getting ready to go to Walmart, I found my orthotics. I put them in my "around the house shoes" and felt the difference right away. Still had some pain, but not severe like it had been. I still bought a new pair when we were at Walmart. I was reading this morning and I think I know what I have. It's extensor tendonitis, and can be caused either by tight muscles in the calves or weak arches and the pain is on the top of the foot and over toward the outside. No swelling, no redness, just pain. My pain starts in my arch so I think weak arches is causing it, and one of the solutions is orthotics. I will continue to use the ones from Walmart until it gets worse and then I might need to get some from a foot doctor. Also, I will continue to wear them daily in my around-the-house-shoes even after the pain is gone, and I think that will make it ok to wear other shoes when I go out.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-22-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

Carol, I'm glad you are finding a solution for your foot pain!

I have been pleasantly surprised with my blood sugar spot checks this week- on two occasions where I ate more carbs (last night, for example, I had an apple pear and nuts as a snack before dinner- I almost never eat fruit anymore, and nuts I usually limit but I was starving and so I had a lot of them) I checked my sugar 2 hours after dinner and both times I was at 95 which I was really pleased about. A couple weeks ago I had a carby dinner (lentils) and my blood sugar 2 hours later was 151 which I was really unhappy about. I've been doing intermittent fasting most days (16-19 hours fasting, eating 2 meals in a 5-8 hour window, depending on the day) and I think it's helping with my insulin resistance and glucose intolerance.
Closed Thread