Old 06-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 217/194/175

Height: 5'3

no internet
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 238/217.2/150

Height: 5'2'

Carol Sue So sorry your internet is down. I hope they get you back on line promptly.

After learning what I did about the carb rash last night, I am happy to say that I am back on my what I call my Moderately Low Carb Diet, MLCD. Since you can't always set things exact on MFP, I have my carbs set at 115 although I will keep them lower most days any way. I may have to adjust some things to do that, but now that I know how to do it to fit me it will be much easier.

I am doing 2MAD with 1 snack as needed. Maybe I won't even need it but it is there if I do. I will get back to my 20+ minutes on the bike and now get myself into a routine.

Talked to Daddy and they are doing one more test and then they will decide about him going back to the retirement center. He sounded really good.

Yesterday when I walked into the hospital something hit me and I began to cough. I'm not sure what it was, but I fought off a soar throat all night. Rubbed down with Vicks etc to try to keep from getting sick since I don't have time to be. A little better today. I don't know if I came in contact with something I am allergic to or what. Today is DS turn to go out to the hospital or retirement center to see him, so I am staying in to try to get over this and not taking anything to him. I need to take some vitamin C.

I hope everyone had a good day and Carol Sue gets her internet working again soon.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #423  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Wannabehealthy I am currently on 2000mg of metformin a day and I'm trying to get my diet and exercise under control. I'm hoping to lower my dosage and eventually be off of the medication with exercise and weight loss.
I work from home full time which makes it easy to make a regular workout routine, but kills me in the snacking department! I graduated college last month so my new free time is something I've not quite adjusted to!

pattygirl Thank you for the welcome! I'm enjoying reading everyones posts and stories!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #424  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw169/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone:
I planned an 18:6 fast today, but it didn't quite go as planned. for one thing, I had a bedtime snack, a low carb gluten free biscuit, but I was craving popcorn and chips, and that was better than those choices. I also ate at 4 pm, because I was called in to go to work at 6 (as I go on call, I don't often get that much warning) and I didn't want to be hungry in a place that won't have good food choices, better to eat now, and pack a lunch to take that will be good for me.

SO 16 hr fast instead. Blood sugars running about 6.4 (115) during that time, so a bit high. But Dr. Fung would say I am getting rid of stored glucose in my fatty liver, so not to fret.
Seems like a lot of the diabetics in the Dr. Fung fasting support groups are doing a version of "fat fasting" and using cream or other fat to take when taking metformin or other meds while fasting. They are losing weight and improving blood sugars, so it sounds interesting, and I did that today.

I have not yet been exercising, since the gluten debacle a week ago. The rash looks the same, the skin there is now getting dry, and more painful. I suspect it will peel off, not improve otherwise. Thats happened before for me. Until its gone I do not want to do anything that might get me itchy either. Just in case in strawberries or something else, I have not been eating certain foods.

Carol I hope the internet comes back on soon for you, and that the critters all leave your home.
Trish, hope things go well for your father and he stays in the hospital until things are cleared up.
Welcome to our newest member.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #425  

Carol Sue I hope you get your internet back on soon, you are missed girl. I hope all is well with you.

FBS is up today, but no surprise because I had a snack which I don't usually do any more and I also had to take a decongestant before I went to bed. I needed to feel better so I can go to beauty shop with the new hair cut I need her to fix it so I can do it the rest of the week. I'm sure this is just an allergy which is causing the scratchy throat. I need to go see Daddy at the hospital, but not sure how I will feel when I get through at the beauty shop. The way I feel right now I want to come right back home from the beauty shop and go back to bed. Hopefully a cup of coffee and breakfast will change all that.

The good news is that I lost 5.2 lbs this past week. I will continue the moderately low carb/low calorie way of eating but I think I will pull back on the carbs a little more. I am working to keep them between 50 to 100 g. I think they were a little over yesterday which would account for some of the high fbs reading this morning. Ever once in a while I have to take Generic Clariten D. My doc in SC didn't like me taking them, but sometimes you have to do it.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #426  
Madeleine

Trish, thats a great week to lose so much.
hope the allergies or cold gets better soon.
I ate well last night and today is a normal 3 meal day. Started with my oatmeal cooked in milk. Then low carb the rest of the day, and a long fast until Sunday lunch is planned after supper tonight. Will see how things go to decide if that is still on. Off to work now.

Mhill: 2000 metformin is a large dose. Hope you can get some weight down and eventually lower it safely. I am new to Dr. Jason Fung's books and theories, but so far am doing well with the plan.

Carol, hope to see you here soon again. Somehow you got the no internet posting in! may you be back to normal soon.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #427  

I'll have to check out those books and theories for sure!

I am trying to workout daily, but yesterday I just was NOT feeling it!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #428  

mhill0823 Here is a link to low carbing for beginners that might be helpful

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

There are a lot of helpful places on line to look up. Dr. Jason Fung has a facebook group which you have to join but he also has videos on YouTube and a website. I thought I had a link to it too, but don't see it in my favorites probably because I'm on his FB page. I will look it up for you as it has a lot of info from his books on there. I'll give that to you to as soon as I find it.

We all have days we just don't feel up to doing this, but it really does work. Don't work at being perfect just work at doing it more and more until it becomes more of a habit. You will eventually find that you really want to eat this way. Also if you don't want to do an extremely low carb, google moderate low carb diet and read it. There are ways to make all this work and personalize it so it becomes "your" plan. That is kind of what Carol Sue and I have done because of our DH and our lifestyle, we have worked out a personal plan that works for us when we do it. I say when we do it because there are days that are not as perfect as others because sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you can't eat exactly on plan even a personal plan.

It appears that the above site is Dr. Fung's, but the IDM site I was looking for seems to have changed from what Carol Sue and I used to read articles from. The only one I found so far you have to join and I don't want to join. When Carol Sue returns she may have a way to get to the one I was looking for.

Have a good day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #429  

I'm back online, at least for now. I was able to get online with my tablet, but when I got on 3FatChicks it kept getting booted out. Every other website was OK, but slow on the tablet. That's why I was only able to type 2 words before it booted me out again. I just wanted to at least let you know why I wasn't around, since I'm normally here daily.

Our cable line from the house to the pole was hanging down for some reason and a big truck came by and ripped it out. That was Wednesday night. They said they would come Thursday, but didn't show up. When I called back then they said Friday, but when DH called the third time they told him Saturday. So we're glad they came today at least. I was going into internet withdrawal. LOL

Going out to eat and will be back later.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #430  

Hi mhill0823. I was wondering if you have a meter to test your blood sugar. It's a good idea to test 2 hours after a meal to see how high your blood sugar goes from that meal. Some say it should not go over 140 and others say 180. If it does, then you know you ate something you should not have eaten, or maybe should have eaten it in a smaller portion. I believe the best way to control blood sugar is to eat in such a way to keep it from spiking, then you don't have to be trying to get it back down. Having said that, I have a hard time cutting back on carbs, but I try each day. I hope to get better at it.

Congratulations on your recent college graduation. You are very fortunate to be working from home, but I understand how snacking could be tempting. I worked outside the home and still did my share of snacking. LOL

The link to Dr Fung's blog is

https://idmprogram.com/blog/

If you scroll down a bit, you will see his blog postings starting with the most recent, and on the right hand side there are categories that you can click on where the information is grouped by category. He has some sections on Fasting, both intermittent and longer term, and some others on Diabetes. There's a lot of information there. He explains how fasting helps with blood sugar and is really not in favor of meds for diabetes, and he explains why.

Another site that's good to read is Blood Sugar 101

www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

You can usually google and get any information you want about diabetes, and you can ask us anything anytime. We will give you our opinions, and might not always agree with each other, LOL. Everyone is different. What works for one might not work for someone else.

I am of the belief that you have to eat low carb, but the number of carbs you can eat and still control your blood sugar is different from person to person. Only by testing can you know what carb limit is right for you.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-15-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #431  

Trish, what a great loss for the week!! You must be doing something right, so keep it up!

I finally got on the scale and was up 6 lbs!! So I just cannot increase carbs like I was doing with the bread. Just can't. So I'm back to low carb again and so far I've lost 2 of those 6 lbs. I just hate when I do that though, because I was so close to dipping down into the 180s and now I have to lose those pounds all over again. I'm so glad I didn't buy another loaf of that bread. It's a trigger for me, and I am not able to limit it.

I am still reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living. I can't believe how much of it I don't remember reading before. I must have really been skimming....either that or my memory is really shot. LOL

In the book, he says that to become keto adapted you must eat 50 gm of carb or less for at least 2 weeks. Compared to 20gm that Atkins says. I am trying to stay at that limit, but I don't know how well I will do. I can only do my best. Without my computer the past couple days I have not been able to post in MFP so I don't know really how high my carbs have been. I have been eating a small bowl of wheat bran cereal, 1/2 C or less, for the fiber, and also 1/2 banana and 1/2 orange each day. They both contain nutrients I want, plus the fiber. Other than that I have been eating scrambled eggs, hamburger patties with cheese and no bun, avocado, olives, spinach and kale in a low carb pita. Today we went out to eat and I got wings. They were breaded, but I pulled a lot of the breading off. I brought home what I didn't eat there. I like to order them because it's easy to bring home what I don't eat. DH had pizza. I usually eat some of the crust and dip it in ranch dressing. I was so tempted, but I didn't. I was very proud of myself for passing that up. I have also not had any candy, or chips, for the past 2 days. I'm just taking it one day at a time, trying to do this for 14 days and see what happens. The first day I felt headachy but was fine today. Also, when I was shopping, the woman next to me was telling her husband that she wanted to get chocolate syrup to put on ice cream. I just blocked her out. LOL

Here is another interesting thing he said, if I can explain it in my own words. Genetics play a big key. Different cultures, such as the Chinese and Japanese have been bred to be able to eat white rice in larger quantities and their bodies are genetically tuned to handle those carbs differently than someone else, like someone in the US. Their bodies just process it differently than ours do, and that's why they can eat it without it causing metobolic problems like it does/can for us.

Also, in talking about fats, he said that fats eaten with carbs are processed differently in our bodies than when those same fats are eaten without carbs. Another example, iron is processed differently in our bodies if it is consumed with Vit C. Really, all we do is sit down and eat a meal that looks/smells good to us, but we don't realize the way our bodies respond to the food.

I think I'm only about half way through the book. Maybe as I read on I will come to parts I remember reading from before. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-15-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #432  
Madeleine

fbs was 5.7 this am (102) so ok, but not great. Had an up day, or feast day yesterday, including oatmeal for breakfast, and even some dessert (a meringue). Today I am hoping to fast.
I am at work so am having tea. I hope I can manage a fast while working. Usually work makes me eat poorly, so this would be good if I can manage it.
Carol: that is so discouraging, but alas, it is the price of low carbing most of the time. We regain weight from carbs very easily. so going off plan for too long has a heavy price tag.
Also wanted to tell you about my transit time.
My bowels are finally back to a relatively normal state, still going once or twice a day, but not so loose. Had niblets corn with supper (DD cooking) and its there now, 16 hours later. Not bad, not too quick, and certainly not slow!
So I too had lots of carbs, the oatmeal, the corn, some potatoes and the meringue had sugar. So a great day to fast and get rid of it all.

will be checking bs all day every few hours.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #433  

wannabehealthy I do have a meter and I use it mostly to check my fasting levels in the mornings but I need to start checking after meals to see where I am. My fasting has been running in the 120's, a few months ago before medicine it was hitting the 160's or greater some days.

Thank you so much for all of the information, ladies! I'm going to start reading and looking at these resources today while I have kind of a free day to read and explore!

It's been fun to follow along with you all in conversation, what a great group
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #434  

We have had no mice for the past two nights. Online it said to set traps until you have not caught a mouse for a week, so a few more days to go. We have to be careful about where we have the traps because of our dog. I don't know if he would go near them or not.

Tomorrow we are going to my step-son's for Father's Day. He is probably also inviting his in-laws. My DGS has a baseball game tomorrow afternoon so that only leaves them the evening hours for Father's Day. Usually they come to our house in the afternoon and her parent's in the evening. This way they don't have to be running from house to house all day.

Mad, optimal transit time is 12-24 hours, fast is under 12 hours, so you are good.

mhill0823, your fasting readings have improved. That's good. I am usually happy if they are around 120, but they do go higher like yours do. I find that eating a very small dinner and no snacking afterwards is what works best for me but the no snacking is hard to achieve.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #435  

I am excited about my blood sugar. It was 165 when I got up this morning. I had fried eggs for breakfast. DH gave them to me and there was a slice of toast on the plate. I told him I didn't want it. He KNOWS I'm not eating carbs. I think it was a test, or a teaser. Then I had a small avocado for lunch and a banana. For dinner I had 1 1/2 pork chops and green beans. DH made home fries for himself and I didn't eat nary a one!! Just tested blood sugar and it was 99. That is with 1 Metformin this AM and 1/2 a Glimiperide, which equals 1mg. Just now I had some wheat bran cereal. I will test in 2 hrs to see how high bs goes from the cereal. I hope to not eat anything else tonight. So day 3 is done in my effort to go all 14 days with VLC. If bs goes up I will take the other half of the Glimiperide, if not, I will take only the bedtime Metformin.

Mad, you mentioned to mhill0823 that 2000mg of Metformin was a high dose. I take 2550, which is the max....850 3Xday. I take at least 2 of them, but not always 3. I take one in the AM one at dinner and one at bedtime. I often forget to take the one at dinner.

DH went to the car cruise. That's about the only place he goes without me. I used to go, but when I'm not there he has a good time connecting with the guys, so I think that's good for him. I feel sleepy, but I don't want to nap this close to bedtime, so I think I will read for a while. Might fall asleep reading.

I'm so glad I don't have to entertain tomorrow. I will take potato salad to step-son's tomorrow and probably brownies. My DGS loves them. I hope I can do that without eating any. LOL

Have a good evening!