Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #376  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

WEll, its amazing how much time is freed up when you are not cooking and eating.
SO far so good.
This is different purposefully fasting. I think starting a fast in the morning is very different than going too long before I eat.
I have been afraid to get hungry on other plans, my blood sugar gets low and I go off plan. It always leads to problems. This is different. My sugars and nice and stable in the mid 5's (5.6, 5.6, 5.7, 5.4) so I am not feeling crummy.

I am doing water, had some plain tea this morning. Am avoiding broth for now. Having salt and electrolytes is recommended for long fasts, but the proteins in broth may have a negative effect on the fasting.
I agree Carol, your symptoms sound more like neuropathy and not mortons.
Trish, if what you were doing worked, I would go back to that. WE are all different, and what works for one, may not for another.

Have a good day friends
Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #377  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today I was thinking about the leg pain. It actually started shortly after the foot pain and I'm thinking that it could be muscle pain since the foot pain is causing me to change my gait. I'm using different muscles to walk than I normally do. I have been walking more gingerly and somewhat stiff legged, trying not to flex my foot as I walk as you do when you're walking normally, heel to toe. I don't know if I'm explaining this right. I know I could feel much better if I could take Motrin. I might try it once in a while since both the doctor at the hospital and my own doctor I could use it occasionally, but not on a regular basis. I do believe that the Turmeric is helping, but I'm not completely pain free.

Mad, unless you ate right before you went to bed last night, your fast officially started with your last meal yesterday, so don't forget to count those hours. I am very happy that you are doing so well with this and also not having your problems with the gluten.

Trish, remember, to do JUDDD properly your down day is to be less than 500 calories. That is necessary to activate the Sirt1 Gene or whatever it is called. You could probably eat more than that and still lose, but I don't think the gene would be activated.

I googled avocado nutrition and found that it has 12g of carb and 9gm of fiber, so I understand why they said it should not be eaten in a CM. But it's 3 NET carbs, and I think if you include it in breakfast and still lose weight that that would be an acceptable tweak for you to make. I never believe that a plan has to be followed to the letter. The proof is in how it affects your weight loss. We are all different.

We didn't eat the pork chops today. We went out and I had the salad bar. We had to go out anyway to pay a bill and decided we would eat out since we were there. I will either cook them tomorrow or freeze them for another time. I am hungry for a pork chop.

I had a very slight potty issue this afternoon but didn't pass any of the corn. So it's been 8 hours so far. If I go longer than 10 then my digestion is working properly. I don't know what caused the potty issue but it wasn't meat, as I didn't eat any. So back to the drawing board with that one.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-06-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #378  

After hearing about Ruthie's passing this past weekend, it was announced on another forum that a woman passed away on Monday. I just posted with her over the weekend. Sad, but it's nice that someone had a way of hearing about it so we knew.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #379  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick one before I go to bed since I won't have time to check in tomorrow morning. My bs reading before carby meal was 107. So I'm not going to worry too much about my fbs being up. I figure it will finally pan out. So sad to hear of Ruthie's passing.

Goodnight.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #380  
Madeleine

About ready to end my fast. Woke up early this am. Found myself sleepy by 930 last night. Must still be a bit off from the travel, or it was the fasting. In any case, slept well until 5-ish. FBS is 5.5 (99 to you) My sugars stayed in the mid five range through out the fast.
Talk about food transit time: in spite of having nothing to eat for over 36 hours, there was plenty left to go. Hope your corn made it through Carol, without more issues.
Today and tomorrow is the meeting and I hope the food is ok. This will be a challenge for me, either way, as even if they have food i can eat, the question of weather I will be able to avoid eating foods I should not eat will hang over me, until we leave tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone
Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #381  

I ate the corn around 11 yesterday so it's been 20 hours so far. Guess I'm good on the transit time. I will do this test again once or twice to see if it's consistent. It's strange, but I only had 2 bowel movements yesterday, both in the AM and none the rest of the day. That's unusual for me. So I need to do this test a couple more times and see if I hit on a more typical day for me.

I was not hungry last night and not even thinking about food at all, but DH cooked some eggs and brought a big plateful over to me. I ate them rather than waste them, and I do love eggs, but I told him he should not have done that. He said "Well, I wanted eggs." and I said "You should only make what you are going to eat." So then he said "Ok, I won't makes eggs anymore." That's the way he is. I honestly believe he is doing this intentionally because he knows I'm trying to cut back on my eating. I don't get that because all our married life he wanted me to stay thin and it would bother him when I gained. He knows I am a foodie and he can always get me to do/go where he wants with a promise of food. LOL But I've changed recently, and it doesn't attract me like it used to. I don't plan on eating much today because I know I will be making a meal tonight with the pork chops. So I'll see what he does today as far as food is concerned.

So my FBG was up....165....because of the extra meal I ate last night. I shouldn't let him do that to me, but I couldn't see dumping out that big plate of eggs. I told him I was going to put them in a plastic bag for today, but he said they wouldn't be any good. I know that as long as I let him do this he is going to continue. If he finds out it won't work, maybe he will stop. I should be eating because I'm hungry, not because someone else wants me to.

Mad, I'm wondering what your DH is doing for meals while you are fasting.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #382  

Well, today turned out interesting. We met with a dietitian, activity director and a head nurse of the facility this morning which turned out to be productive. After everyone talked about what they wanted to discuss, I said, "Daddy finished his 100 days of therapy but because of the misdiagnosis he didn't get enough therapy and he is getting weaker. Is there some kind of program out there where he can get more therapy that isn't real expensive?" The activity director said, "Yes, there is a restart program after the 100 days that is free?" To which I asked why he wasn't in it. They thought that he was. This place is a really good facility but it is amazing to me that their communication isn't all that great.

The activity director told us that they have a lot of activities even field trip like days that she wished Daddy would get interested in. I think if he ever got to feeling good again that he might. They have a man starting next week to work with the men in the facility. They have a difficult time getting men interested in things and this man is going to try to get a men's club started with things they are interested in doing.

The meeting ended because Daddy got sick and threw up. The PA came in and checked on him and she thinks he just has a stomach bug as all his vital signs were good, but he had some potty issues too. They gave him some medicine and we left. DS and I have called and he hasn't been sick any more but is sleeping so we will let him rest. I hope it is a 24 hr thing. I won't go out tomorrow like I usually do because I don't want whatever he has and we don't need to get it and pass it back and forth. I'll let him get over it.

The funny thing DS and I both had written down an appointment for him at the cardiology office for a pacemaker check. DS called to tell them that he is sick and couldn't make it. When we got home they called her and said he didn't have an appointment today and they didn't have an appointment for him to see the doctor next week either at CHF. So I called CHF to find out what was going on. Turns out they are rescheduling appointments to see the doctor at CHF, but they just had not called us yet. We have no idea where we were supposed to have been today as no one had an appointment scheduled. Very strange.

Carol Sue I still don't totally understand FBS. I just knew my FBS would be high today because I didn't have any snack foods here so I snacked on DH chips last night. I was surprised that it was 149 this morning. My weight was up, but considering the KFC chicken and the chips I wasn't surprised at all because of the sodium. I could have taken the fluid pill but I didn't want to potty all night having to get up early this morning plus I still want to get away from taking them all the time.

Walmart didn't have the Slimfast snack drinks I wanted so I just took that as I'm not supposed to do it. I bought some low carb foods for snack. I got Liverwurst and a Eckridge type sausage that is made locally which has only 1 g carb per 2 oz and sodium is not high. I will have that here for a snack with celery or cucumber.

fatmad I hope the food at your meeting will be friendly to your eating plan and you can enjoy. Not giving you an excuse, but your long fast should compensate if you have to eat a little off. I'm thinking of the 5:2 diet where you fast 2 days and eat whatever you want 5 days. Not a plan I would trust myself with, but I think it kind of tells us when we have a day or period that we don't have control we can work with as long as we get back to the fasting plan when you get back home. I hope you won't have that problem.

Just got a phone call that Daddy might be having a TIA. They are watching him. Nurse said that if he is having a TIA and sent him to the hospital that they won't keep him. They can't confirm a stroke because he can't have a MRI because of the pacemaker.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #383  
Madeleine

Oh dear Trish, I hope your father is ok and won't be moved out of his new home, just when things are getting on track. If its prayer you would like, I'm there. Prayers for your family and especially your Dad.
I am feeling horrible tonight. It started about 3 pm. I am achey all over, but no fever. NO stuffy nose or chest cough like with a cold or flu. I don't know if this might be a reaction to the fast, or to some gluten. I accidentally had regular wheat pasta, they were supposed to send gluten free but didn't. the poor admin who order the food felt so bad. Ive been on the toilet a lot too as a result, so I am hoping its just gluten and not something worse. I had a long hot shower and some tylenol, and feeling a little better.
One of my roomies here has coeliac disease and says she thinks its from the gluten, she gets flu-ish feelings as well as bowel issues from gluten.
If thats true, I hope to feel better by morning.
Off to bed, and check on election results here in Ontario
Old 06-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #384  

fatmad I am so very sorry about your reaction to the gluten. I pray you will feel better after a good nights sleep. And thanks for the prayers for Daddy and our family.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #385  

Trish, we love liverwurst. What kind do you buy? When I was a kid, my mother used to buy it in a thin plastic tube and it was spreadable. What we see now is called Braunsweiger and is a thicker consistency and is not spreadable, but we slice it. We both can eat it plain right out of the package. We we buy Sugardale that is in the case with the packaged deli meats. Most of our deli's don't have it anymore. I would love to be able to buy the spreadable one my mother used to buy but I never see it. There is also a recipe for a spread you can make using braunsweiger an cream cheese. I've tasted it but never made it myself.

My dinner was really good last night. I cooked pork chops on my grill pan and served them with rice-a-roni and a vegetable mix of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

I, too, am praying for your family. I do hope your Dad did not have a TIA. That would be a terrible setback for him. I am amazed at how these facilities can sometimes be so poorly run that time gets wasted for the residents when they are misdiagnosed or fall through the cracks with their advancement in therapy. All this time they could have been working with him and they've not. It seems that no one is following through to be sure the proper procedures are being followed.

Mad, I'm sorry you are feeling poorly and received the wrong meal. It's so risky when you are not preparing the food yourself and you are at the mercy of someone else. Mix ups can happen, but when it involves a medical condition it could be catastrophic. I hope you feel better today.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #386  

I just watched this Youtube video. It's about Saturated Fat and Carbs. It's very long, over an hour, and you don't see the person talking so you're really listening, and they show charts as they talk. I found it very interesting. It's Jeff Volek and I forget who the woman is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4eVZmBMgff0

I had headphones on while I watched and DH could clearly see that, but he still brought the phone over to me and wanted to know how to pick up the VM messages. @@ They were just junk robo calls. Then he decided to run the vacuum sweeper. So I just turned the sound up very high!! LOL Sometimes he can be so inconsiderate. On one hand, I'm glad he ran the vacuum, but couldn't he wait until I was finished listening?

So, if you watch the video, let me know what you think. What I got from it is vegetables are not included when they talk about eliminating carbs, just sugar and starchy carbs. Processed. And from what they said, eating saturated fat is neutral against heart disease, doesn't increase or decrease the risk, but PUFAs actually reduce the risk of heart disease. And it's not dietary fat that's bad, but it's the fat in your blood stream that is. (Triglycerides.) I don't know how interesting this would be to anyone else.

Another thing....they said we need Omega 6 for repairing, so we should not completely eliminate it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #387  

Well, thank God the PA was right and it was just a stomach bug. I talked to the nurse this morning and he said he was up and had eat and doing much better. So I called and talked to him and he said he did not have a TIA. He knows how he felt and he was just sick at his stomach. He may be drinking too much milk. The room mate seems to be doing things for him. He makes sure Daddy gets his 2 little cartons of milk at breakfast and he also keeps some in his fridge for him. At least they are getting along. He even called me yesterday as he thought we should have took Daddy to the hospital, but I assured him that Daddy talks out of his head when he is sick like that. When I talked to Daddy this morning he was getting ready to go to the bathroom so he could go to his exercise class.

I told him about the Restart therapy program and that they added his name for him to get back on some therapy. I also told him of the activities where they go out on day trips etc. He says they never ask him, but I remember him telling him he didn't want to do certain things so I think they never thought he would go. Activity director told me she wished they could get him interested. He seems to be ready for that too maybe because he knows he is going to have to stay there the rest of his life, he realizes that he needs to get involved with more than sitting in that room feeling like he is in a prison. Any way that is good news and it would take a lot of pressure off DS and me for him to be able to have a life and be able to get out.

I am back on CAD 100% today. I got a lot of good support on FB CAD as many of us are going back to it and starting over. It is an excellent plan for me and my lifestyle. Especially DH isn't interested any of my healthy cooking right now. He is falling back into some of his ways of eating and I'm not going to fight him. I will let him ride it out till he gets back on track, but I can't let it derail me on my health. I am going to get back to strictly low carb eating for 2 meals and the one RM of what I enjoy but try to balance it more. Not the CALP balance but more balanced even when we eat some of the foods he likes. Like today we will be eating chipped beef. He likes it on biscuits. I do too, but I am actually thinking about eating mine on Sara Lee Multigrain like a gravy. I don't like eating that today because I'm swelled from the liverwurst I ate last night I guess. I didn't check the sodium in that. I've also been thing about getting me a spaghetti squash as I have been kind hungry for it so we can have some spaghetti one day and he likes the white pasta and I don't.

I'm keeping a food log writing out my meal plan for the day. I'm eating eggs and bacon with a finger salad of cukes, celery and radish this morning. The chipped beef with bread and salad with EVOO & ACV, veggies, milk and a dessert with coffee for my RM. Then this evening my CM will be a sausage stirfry in butter or EVOO.

fatmad Hope you feel better today.

Carol Sue I hope you are getting rid of the pain in your foot. Are y'all headed to the Casino today? I hope they have better buffet today.

The liverwurst I had to buy was the one in the plastic by Brunswaiger. I might try mixing it with cream cheese because it was hard to spread.

I better get busy. I have a few things I want to do before I eat breakfast and head out to see Daddy. My beauty appt. was changed to 12:30 and I need to go to store afterwards to get the chipped beef and a few things we need.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #388  

I have had a very good CAD day. Didn't over eat at RM and I baking some chicken wings and will have some broccoli/cauliflower for my CM tonight. I will eat it around 7:30 and then I'll fast until breakfast tomorrow. CM breakfast will always be eggs, bacon and raw veggies or a veggie omelet. I love chicken wings so that may become my usual CM supper. I bought a huge bag of them at Sam's the other day and I had to take them and put them in 4 smaller bags because it was just too heavy to carry back and forth from the freezer in the garage.

Daddy wanted a new room because he had a problem with a nurses assistant, but he didn't like the room where he would have had to move. The lady that takes care of those things said she would take care of the situation with the NA. He has had a good day although he is kind of down today. I figure he is going to have days like that. Hopefully they will get him active when the new man starts working with men and when he gets into some therapy again. I think he is feeling hopeless as he adjusts to the fact that he has to stay there.

Not much else going on. I am going to relax tonight and tomorrow. DS and her DH are going out to see him tomorrow. I am considering trying out the new church Sunday that I want to visit and then go visit Daddy afterwards before coming home. However, I will have to see how I feel as I've been tired a lot because I've gained too much weight. I'm back up to 224 this morning. This plus the fact that my back really hurt yesterday and today when I walked in and out of the Health Center. I got out of breath both mornings. Once I walked some I got better yesterday, but today I felt wiped out. I am going to get back on that bike too.

My dear little grandmother used to tell me "don't ever start a diet on a Friday". Daddy recently told me how superstitious she was. She never told me why not to start on Friday but stressed it so today I decided that it must have been a superstitious thing and I am not a superstitious person at all. So I decided that maybe I needed to start back on CAD today. I'm glad I did.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #389  
Madeleine

I am still suffering somewhat from the wheat exposure. Got achey later in the day, and the potty issues continued intermittently through the day, I was ok for a while, but woke up about 4 am with gas and loose stuff again. Tummy hurts for sure. Hope it will work its way through. Its left me having an unintentional fast from noon yesterday, I just didn't feel up to eating last night. I am not in the mood for breakfast yet either, so will see how the day goes.

Carol, I had to chuckle when you asked about what my husband does when I am fasting. I guess I am a generation younger and have a different relationship about food with my man. It has never been my job to make his food. I do enjoy cooking, so a few times a week I will make a nice supper, but breakfasts and lunches pretty much never. He makes supper a couple of times a week too, especially if I am working late. Usually spaghetti sauce, and then I have the Konjac noodles and he makes pasta for himself and DD if she is around. She also cooks sometimes. Sometimes, its everyone for themselves, and we just have a can of soup and make a sandwich for ourselves.

Weight dropped nicely after the fast and I again with these issues, hope I don't bounce back up when I start eating again. I stopped taking the metformin after yesterday morning too, no point if its going right thru and didn't want to add to any digestive distress. Perhaps some nice warm tea will help.
Have a lovely day friends.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #390  

Well, our trip to the casino was interesting. The buffet was better than last week but still not as good as it used to be. The casino changed ownership about a year ago and so many things are different. We ate around 4 and I felt fine the rest of the evening. We came home around 9 and went to bed around 10. I woke up at 1AM and didn't feel good. My stomach sounds were so loud!! Went into the bathroom and threw up. There were pieces of carrot still undigested 9 hours later! LOL I felt better after that and was able to sleep. DH said we are never going back there again, but he says that all the time. He will change his mind next week. I realize it's easy to get sick from a buffet due to all the different workers and also all the different people having access to the food. I am lucky this is the first time after all these years of going there.

On top of that, I am up a lb. LOL Unlike you, Mad, I felt perfectly fine after it was all over. Hope you feel better by now, and I'm glad it helped a bit with your weight.

Mad, DH does some of the cooking and will cook for himself but the problem with us is that he likes to eat out so much. That causes a problem if I am fasting or doing JUDDD. When I was working until 5:30 he cooked every night because he didn't want to wait until I got home and then have to wait for dinner. It would be done when I got home.

My step-son and wife have a different system. They eat late, around 7, because she doesn't get home until 5:30, but he does most of the cooking because they grill almost every day. He grills the meat and she makes the side dishes, which is many cases is just salad. They rarely eat carbs.

There are a lot of women who are easily able to diet and do their own thing because their husbands don't care as long as food is set in front of them. They don't care if the woman eats or not. My generation grew up when the mother was at home and did ALL the cooking. That changed some after women went off to work, but the children from that generation are still thinking the cooking is the woman's job. I always tell DH that I will cook whatever he wants, even if I'm not eating it, but he wants me to eat, too. for whatever reason. I also tell him to get take out, but he prefers to sit down in a restaurant and be served. That means I have to order something too, hungry or not.

Trish, I have always started my diets on a weekend because I realized if I wait until Monday I would have a couple more pounds to lose. When I was working, I could diet better on weekends than at work where there was always a lot of ready-to-eat food around at work. Even I used to contribute to that. It was a good way to get rid of leftovers rather than throw them away. If you took food in, someone would eat it.

I'm so glad your Dad is OK. I think he is still of the mind that he is going to get therapy and then go home to his normal life, so he doesn't want to get to involved in the activities. When my brother was in that residence for the disabled they had a lot of outside activities. My sister-in-law would donate to Special Olympics every year in his name and that enabled him to go on the trips at no cost. I think if he would get used to the activities it would take his mind off his situation and he would get used to things. I'm glad the room mate is being so helpful and caring to him.

My feet and legs felt very good last night when we left the casino. I walked out to the car with DH instead of having him pick me up. When I got home and was changing into my nightgown I reached in my pants pocket and my Telenol Arthritis were still in there. I had forgotten to take them, so I felt good without any pain meds except the Turmeric. It's off and on from day to day with no obvious reason why.
Closed Thread