Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ok, so I ordered my Turmeric. I didn't hear from that other woman who takes it so I just picked one and am hoping for the best. It is 3 capsules per day for a total of 1800mg. I don't understand how it can be that potent when the one I buy at Walmart is only a total of 450 mg at 3 per day. According to that I could take 1 a day and still get much more than I was getting with the ones from Walmart, unless I'm misunderstanding something. They should be here between June 4 and June 7 but most things I order thru Amazon come faster than the estimated arrival date.

Mad, that's great that you got so many walking steps today. It sounds like you're having a great time and eating well. Few treats is OK...you're on holiday!

Trish, I remember you used to tell me about the rash you got, but I don't remember if it was from too many carbs or not enough carbs.

We went to the store today and got all our food for tomorrow. We needed potatoes, hot dogs, buns and baked beans. We like Bush brand Boston Style beans. The hot dogs were on sale buy one package get 2 free so I bought extra for the freezer. I also got some Wise low salt potato chips that DH likes because they were also buy 1 get 2 free. This particular store has that promotion often and it's such a good deal. I wanted to get some asparagus but we like thin and what they had was thick. I love grilled asparagus.

Nothing else new. Going to sit outside for a while.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-27-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #317  

I didn't try this yet, but here is a site that calculates your calorie and macro needs based on your BMR. It is geared toward low carb eating but it looks like you can adjust the macros. It looks like there might be some more interesting stuff on the site, too.

https://www.apinchofhealth.com/low-c...t-calculators/
Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #318  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

2MAD is working fine. I started to do a OMAD today but decided to get into the 2MAD routine for now. We will be going to Golden Coral to eat with DS and her DH after we go visit with Daddy.

FBS was 164 today, but that is good because weight was 220 this morning after lingering between 221 to 223 the past few weeks. I guess I've made 1 am my new time to go to bed. I am for midnight but seem to make it by 1 which works out fine because I usually wake up around 7:40 and I'm afraid if I go to bed at midnight that I will wake up at before 7 and I really don't want to get up that early. I don't mind 7:40 because I have to get up around that time on Friday to be at beauty shop by 10 am. Any way I actually slept until 9 am this morning which is sleeping in for me. I actually felt really good and ready to get up. I would love to be able to do that everyday except Fridays.

Daddy told DS that he doesn't think things are going to work out with his new room mate. He actually had the nerve to have a nurse go in and turn Daddy's tv off the other day. He doesn't like having a tv on all the time and that is my Daddy's only real pleasure now and he likes having it on even as he sleeps. The guy told us that he goes to bed around 2 in the morning but goes to bed before midnight. He sleeps until 8 am and Daddy gets up early and can't or won't turn tv on because he doesn't want to wake him. So definitely not a good match for them. DS will talk to the office about it tomorrow. Otherwise Daddy seems to have a good attitude about everything.

When they told us that he would have to have a room mate that they try to match them up with suitable people but sometimes they miss it so let them know.

We are going to go get him some chicken tenders for late lunch or early dinner and take it to him and visit with him for a little while. DS and her hubby will have to go when we don't now because of the size of the room. So we will visit today and then meet them for an early dinner.

We need to go to Walmart afterwards to get DH meds and I have to get a new Waterpik. I really miss mine. I remember the girl who cleaned my teeth in SC telling me that it wasn't as good as flossing, but I've found that it cleans so much better than flossing. DS said that dentists now use Waterpiks to clean teeth because they don't have to scrape. Go figure. I need to make an appointment for cleaning and x-rays. I know I need some work done.

Three of the new shirts I got recently have to be ironed so I need to get a regular size ironing board. I have a table ironing board for touch ups etc, but didn't move the one I had in SC because I don't really have room for a big one. Oh well. I was going to take Daddy's but it was so old and the rubber on the legs were gone and I don't want to scratch up my floor using it.

fatmad Sounds like you are doing well while on holiday.

Carol Sue Thanks for the new site. I will bookmarked it for later. I hope your foot is feeling better.

Hope everyone has a safe and good holiday.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #319  

Trish, my foot hurt a lot during the night but it seems much better today. I don't understand it. I did take 2 Turmeric last night and 2 more today. I probably have enough for 1 or 2 days more. I guess it if gets really bad before my Amazon shipment comes I will have to buy another bottle from Walmart, but I'd rather not. I was reading a lot about Turmeric online and everything points to pain relief. I sure hope it helps me. I really don't think a foot doctor would help because last night I had the pain in both feet, not just one, and when I got up I had pain in my legs, too, so I think this is just inflammation. I guess time will tell.

I hope they are able to set your Dad up with another room mate, but I believe any time a patient has to share a room, compromises have to be made. I have had several really bad room mates when I was in the hospital, but I know that is just temporary. One time there was a young woman who kept her TV so loud I had to turn mine off because I couldn't hear it. This last time, the woman wanted her TV and light on all night and would not allow the nurse to turn them off. So I was not able to get any sleep at all. I think in a room mate circumstance there should be a certain time to turn tv off at night and on in the morning. When my mother-in-law was in the hospital the power to the TV wouldn't come on until 8 AM and it went off at 10PM. You couldn't turn them on if you tried, and I think that is best.

I was looking on my health portal and I didn't see my upcoming cardiologist appointment on there. I will call them and verify it. I sure hope I have the appointment. I don't want to wait any longer to get the answers to my questions. The appointment is there for my PCP in July. I was also looking for the results of my echocardiogram but they aren't there. My PCP was able to see them somewhere. I should have asked for a copy but I thought I would be able to see them. I hate not knowing what's going on. That one doctor in the hospital said that my valve is ready to be replaced. If that's true, I want to know, but I trust the answer of my own cardiologist since he has been taking care of the matter since 2008. He always tells me there is little to no change, but I guess it could have progressed.

I did not eat breakfast this morning. I made potato salad around noon and I was picking at it while I mixed it, so I guess that was lunch. All I had for dinner was a plain hamburger without a bun, some rinsed baked beans and some corn on the cob. I will try not to eat anymore today.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #320  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Am doing well for exercise over 20 thousand steps again today, and lots of hills, by calves are yelling at me tonight. Tomorrow is a tour day, but I expect we will be getting on and off the bus a lot and walking around the sites to see the sights! So still plenty of exercise. Wednesday is a quiet day, we are going to do our own walking and tram tour, bought our metro passes today for that. Thursday is another tour out of town a bit.
However, definitely am overeating. Since we get free breakfast, I have been eating that at the hotel about 10. I am just having plain fruit for an afternoon snack, but supper around here is late. A lot of restaurants close at 2 or 3 after lunch and don't reopen until 7 or later for supper. We are going about 730, but still leaves me a long eating window. What with wine and dessert, I am still getting the right number of calories per day, but not doing IF by any means. But with all the walking, I don't think I should skip breakfast right now. Will switch back when I am home.
Trish, I hope things can be worked out for your Dad and his roommate. I understand the tv thing, when I have insomnia, I often find that i can fall asleep with the tv on better than silence. Maybe a headset of some kind?
Carol, I hope the tumeric comes soon and that is keeps helping your pain. Keep taking it and don't go off!

ttfn friends
Old 05-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #321  

Carol Sue I'm sorry you are still having pain. It does sound like inflammation. I just read an interesting article today and saved it to favorites about how healthy is EVOO. I am amazed to learn that it is an anti-inflammatory food. Here is a link to it . I think you will find it interesting as it even gives some myths about EVOO. I suddenly realized that when I used EVOO and ACV in my salads I was feeling better and don't remember having any joint pain etc. It is a very heart and diabetic friendly super food from what I can see. I hope your order gets in soon.

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/ext...gin-olive-oil/

fatmad I think your activity will either take care of the extra food or at least keep it from being a really bad problem.

We went to see Daddy and he seems to be okay. I know some of it is an act for us, but he doesn't want us to do anything about moving him at this point. He said things were better so he wants to wait. Spent time with him and then went to eat with DS and DBIL. Went to Walmart and got DH meds and my water pick and ironing board. I think the one that broke cost like $30 when we bought it years ago. Now that dentists are using them to clean their clients teeth they are calling it a Flossing Pick and I had to pay almost $60 for it. I might could have gotten it cheaper from Amazon, but I've been without it for a few days and felt I really needed to get it.

My eating today is 8 hrs because I ate breakfast a little after 11 am and had a snack at 6:45 to take my pills. It is important to me that I fast tonight because this will be the 3rd night of not eating and my fasting will be 15 hrs if I eat at 10 am tomorrow. I am definitely going back to EVOO and ACV in my salads. I didn't realize how good it was for me.

Goodnight.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #322  

Mad, I sure wish I could walk as much as you have been doing! I read an article yesterday about how many good benefits you get from walking...or maybe it was a youtube video. I read and watched so many yesterday. It must really be strengthening your legs for you to get achiness. I agree that you must eat breakfast on this trip. We eat dinner very early, and it would bother us to eat at 7:30.

Trish, I'm thinking that EVOO is almost the same as Fish Oil, Omega 3, and I haven't taken my Fish Oil for over a week. I read online that Omega 3 fights inflammation. I ran out. There is a particular brand at Walmart that I prefer and when they were out of it I thought I would wait til they got it back in. Next time I went there still wasn't any so I bought something else. I take 2-1200mg per day and this new one is only 1000mg but better than nothing. Most of them are coated to prevent the fishy burp. I don't get the fishy burp so I prefer the uncoated. You pay more money if you buy the coated. The fish oil is another thing that I thought wasn't doing me any good. My cardiologist told me to take it for my heart. All these things I take for my heart and I still had a heart attack. I guess nobody lives forever. Sometimes I think I will just stop taking all this medicine. I remember a friend of mine was bragging that he doesn't take any medicine, but I reminded him that he doesn't go to the doctor. Eventually he said he was scheduled for a heart stress test so he must have been having symptoms. Before we heard from him about the results, his obituary was in the paper. I never did hear why. He could have died during the stress test, or as a result of it.

I think maybe your Dad might get used to this room mate. They are still in the adjustment stage. Like Mad, I fall asleep with the TV on just about every night, but DH comes in and turns it off. If I wake back up, I just turn it back on. LOL Once he comes to bed, he puts it on again and doesn't shut it off until around midnight. But then we are a married couple and we are in agreement with this, mostly. Sometimes he ends up falling asleep and I wake him up and ask him if he is still watching. LOL

I ended up eating cookies again last night. Grrrr I get so angry with myself when I do that. I need to tell myself No before I eat them instead of being sorry afterwards. But they are soooo good. They spiked my blood sugar so high! There is a lot of potato salad left over but DH said he is going to take it up to his daughter so it doesn't get wasted. I was just going to make a little bit but he wanted me to use up the older potatoes before they went bad. My family loves my potato salad but they don't want to come and get it. They want it delivered. LOL

Hope you enjoy your flossing pick. I have never used one. I have been using the little individual plastic ones, but I read online that they are no good. Well, I have so many left. I guess I will go back to using regular floss and only use the plastic flossers in an emergency until they are gone. I always like the cinnamon flavored floss.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-29-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #323  

I just checked my shipment from Amazon and it said it was ordered Sunday, shipped Monday and will arrive on Wednesday. I can't believe it will come that fast since I did not use Prime for 2 day shipping. I figured it would be slower over a holiday weekend, but I guess they work on the holidays.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #324  

I am out of control. I just ate more potato salad and the last 2 cookies. I think I was doing better when I was eating the scrambled eggs for breakfast. Between DH and I, we ate enough of the potato salad that there's none left over for his daughter. Good thing we didn't tell her it was coming. LOL
Old 05-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #325  

Carol Sue I just read that they have found a new essential fatty acid called Omega 7 which is also in fish. They believe that the 2 works together for heart health. In fact, they said if you eat 5 servings of fish a week that you will have enough of both to have a healthy heart and you won't need to take fish oil, etc. I've always believed that if we ate right that we wouldn't need to take supplements.

I was excited to see 218.6 on the scales this morning. That is almost 4 lbs in 2 days just doing IF. The nice surprise was that my FBS was 161 down a bit from yesterday. Things are beginning to work differently because usually when I lose that big a loss in a day (yesterday was 220) my FBS goes up. Obviously the changes in my diet that I've made and IF is working. I now have 3 days of not eating evening snacks. I just have to keep it going. I made the 3rd day goal. So now my goal is a week.

I talked to Daddy this morning for a few minutes. Not sure how the room mate thing is going to work. Daddy snores and talks in his sleep so the room mate says he can't sleep. The room mate snores and keeps Daddy awake. Neither gets any sleep. They both need a room mate that can't hear. LOL!!!
Daddy is not a candidate for the Sleep Apnea machine, however, he does have a mouth piece he could wear, but he takes it out while asleep. As for the tv, DS has talked about getting earphones for it. Not sure how it will go.

He told DS that he is getting a bed sore and I'm not surprised because I notice they must be waiting too long to change him because the last 2 times I've gone out there I had to put something in his chair because it was wet. He just isn't getting the care on this floor that he got on the other one. I don't like that. I am really hoping that we get some help from VA so he can go to a better floor with better care. Of course, this was weekend help and I know how weekend help works. I've worked with some of those people who do as little as possible. DS is going out there this afternoon and will talk to the front office when she pays for this month.

So much I need to do, but right now I'm working at getting my diet back to normal and healthy and giving my body time to adjust to that. I end up doing just what I have to do on these days like today when I don't go any where. I'm hoping that energy will take over in the days ahead. I do need to do some exercise on the bike today because it helps my back.

Have a good day.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #326  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Yes Carol, the good thing about IF for me is that once I am done with supper, I am done eating for the day, period. I would kill DH if he sat down and snacked in front of me though. He stays in the dining room, except his bedtime snack of a peanut butter sandwich, but I don't find that tempting. He is having to restrict his calories a bit now too, he is getting a pot, and on his lanky frame it really shows.

Maybe even if you are not doing IF, You have to decide not to eat after supper. If you want a cookie, have if for dessert with supper, you will not spike as much. Eating it by itself makes it worse.

I also encourage fish oil. It also has natural anti-inflammatory properties, I think we should all have it if we can.

Today, only 15000 steps on our group tour, (driving between places) but very tiring. I had a large lunch and plan just soup and a cheese plate for supper. I think we will just go down to the hotel dining room and not go out. We are both pretty tired.

Sister has friends who will be here starting tomorrow night. We could probably use a little social mixing before we start to bicker. Tomorrow we plan a self guided tour, and I am half expecting her to say she wants to do her committee work for her conference instead of come along. She is truly a loner and I think too much togetherness is hard on her. OR she will come for the morning only. Thats ok, I won't take it personally. It will be good for me to leave on Friday for the weekend with DD while sister has her conference.

Hope things go well for you all in the next few days. Best wishes
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #327  

Mad, I really don't want to eat the cookies at all. I stayed away from sweets for so long. I went through a phase when I was eating a lot of vegetables every day and I totally lost my sweet tooth. I have gotten away from eating the vegetables, so now the sweet cravings have come back. I know I need to get back to eating the veggies. That might even be contributing to my pain. (inflammation)

Trish, I think it's pretty hard to find an elderly person who doesn't snore, but most of them are also hard of hearing. LOL Did this man also have a private room before, or did he have another room mate?

Today I was going out side and I stepped down the little step from the door to the deck and pulled a muscle in my calf. Just what I need. I don't know where that came from. I make sure I eat a banana every day, but maybe I need to get an electrolyte drink. I am also drinking more water because I read that dehydration can cause that. I don't like the idea of taking magnesium because I don't like to take things if I don't know for sure that it's something I'm lacking.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #328  

Fatmad You are really doing very well. The one nice thing about IF is it fits any where and with any eating plan. IF itself is what gives us the benefits. I always do better on a trip.

Carol Sue The room mate did have a private room before. Daddy's room wasn't private but they didn't have to put him with anyone. So this is a real challenge for both of them.

I'm so sorry about your pulled muscle. You know I was deficient in magnesium last year after being dehydrated, but I can't take magnesium. I probably need to order some from the health food store where I bought it before because I'm not sure about the one from Walmart as it gives me diarrhea.

I wanted to say that I also noticed that when I was recently eating so much junk food as well as sugar, that my joints hurt more. I don't have gout, but I notice that something I eat also causes a problem with the big toe area on my left foot. It isn't there all the time so it is caused from one food. It must be something I don't eat all the time but I'm just not sure what.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #329  

I finally heard from the woman who takes the Turmeric. I saw the one she orders on Amazon and it is from a good company and is recommended, but it is 1800mg in 2 per day, and the one I ordered is 1800 mg in 3 per day. I wanted that one so I could cut back to 1 per day if it was working for me. One of theirs is more mg than 3 of the ones I get at Walmart. She said that she went on vacation and didn't take her Turmeric but her pain didn't return, so she thinks maybe it's having a placebo effect. I know what she means, because when I was taking it last year and my pain went away I stopped it eventually and was still pain free for several months. But I spent $30 for 280 pills, which I don't think is a lot of money to waste to find out if it is going to work. I have done a lot of research and I didn't see any side effects that would be harmful to me with my medical conditions or meds. So I'm going to go for it. I took the last 2 that I had yesterday, totaling 300 mg. Pain is there, but minimal.

I ate my scrambled eggs this morning but a smaller serving. DH was getting carried away there for a while and cooking way more than I wanted. I ate them because I like them, but I told him to cut back. Today they were only enough to fit on a small dessert size plate. Perfect. I got to taste them but not stuff myself. I also plan on eating more veggies every day. Eliminating the eggs hasn't helped, so why give up something I like?

Trish, you should research magnesium online. There are several different kinds. There is one that is recommended for people who are doing VLC and need help with constipated. That might be the one you were taking. There are others that are considered useless for constipation, so that is probably the kind you need to take if you are deficient. Me too. I do not get any constipation at all!!

I know I would not like having a room mate, but also realize that that's the way it is in some personal care homes. I think it would be annoying to anyone to be able to hear the other person's TV, their phone conversations, and to hear conversations when they had visitors. My constant coughing would probably drive a room mate nuts. LOL It bothered people at work and that was one of the reasons I retired when I did. The company allowed you to work as long as you wanted as long as you could still do the job. But our workstations were very close together and I know it was annoying, even though I couldn't help it. It bothers DH sometimes, but he is more understanding and I think he got used to it. I cough more at certain time and less at others. It also bothers some people at family gatherings. I have seen several doctors about this cough. The only thing I can figure out that is causing it is post nasal drip. Two times I was put on Darvocet after minor surgery and the cough went away completely. But Darvocet has been taken off the market, and it was a narcotic, so it's not something you could take continuously for a cough. Whatever the ingredient was that caused it to be taken off the market was probably what stopped my cough, because no other narcotic pain med has the same effect. My friend's daughter was given steroids and her cough stopped completely, but I have taken steroids a few times and it never had a positive effect on my cough. I guess it depends on what is causing the cough. I have used Clairitin for my nasal congestion and also Zyrtec and neither of them helped. I don't know what would help with it. It's possible that I would be helped with something that had "D" after the name, but they are decongestants and I a not allowed to use them. Figures. I should probably try it sometime, just to see if it worked. It's like the Motrin. I am not allowed to take the things that really help me.

Yesterday I called the cardiology office and verified my appointment for Monday. I don't know why it isn't showing on the portal. I just didn't want to show up and find out that I didn't have the appointment. I hope I get the answers I want to hear.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #330  

Trish, here is an article that explains the different types of magnesium and there are links to other articles at the end.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog...types-compared

Here is an article explaining the top 10 foods to eat for magnesium. I noted that spinach and swiss chard are at the top of the list and it specifies "cooked." Another case where raw veggies are not better than cooked.

https://draxe.com/magnesium-deficien...s-must-eating/

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-30-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Closed Thread