Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #406  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Good idea about the bars. I will pick up a couple when I go to the store today. I've got to go by and get some bananas and I will look at the protein bars. I used to do that and then I didn't eat them and they would in the trash because they were so old. That was in my Atkins days.

I talked to Daddy this morning and he is upset because he wants to go back to his own bed and chair at the Retirement center. For one thing he has a special egg mattress and it is more comfortable to sleep on plus he likes to sit up in his chair in the day time. He switches from his wheelchair to his recliner throughout the day. Like me he isn't a lay in bed all day person so you know he is sick when he is laying in bed. However, his new primary for the retirement center ordered a complete work up. I'm thinking that they may want him to stay 3 nights in the hospital. I think I remember reading that if he spends 3 nights in the hospital that he can go back on 100 days of therapy. They know he is begging for the therapy and since he was sick enough to go to the hospital they just may take advantage of it. I actually hope I'm right on that. If he has to stay 2 nights, he may as well stay 3 and get the right therapy when he goes back especially since therapy believes they can get him walking again.

I am taking care of myself although I didn't eat very good yesterday I stayed within my calorie count but went over on my carbs by about 20 mg. Weight was up .2 of lb this morning. Not really doing CAD any more because I really enjoy my breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast and with the Sara Lee MG bread I'm only getting equivalent to 1 sl of regular with 2 slices and then I eat the 1/2 banana because I need the potassium. I like the avocados but they give me potty issues and I'm not going to deal with that.

I then have my main meal basically it what ever I want like I would if I were having a Reward Meal on CAD. I try to keep those meals at the minimum of 4 or 5 hours apart and eat within 6 or 8 hours. I just do better with just the 2MAD.

I did get a good nights sleep, but I don't have time for the bike this morning. I felt the sleep was more important than the exercise since I will be walking a lot going to the hospital and then the store afterward. I still will try to throw at least 10 or 15 minutes on the bike later when I get home. I do feel better when I do it. MFP tracking really helps with all this. I already have my food plan for today. We will have cod fish and veggies when I get home this afternoon. I am going to see Daddy this morning and DS will come later since she has to wait for her DH to come put her hovaround type cart back in her car. She can get it out but it is too heavy for her to lift to put back in.

I better get going. I want to get out there by 10:30ish and I want to calm him down about having to stay.

Have a good day.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #407  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone
Donna, welcome back. SO happy for you to have a safe and comfortable place to live. I didn't know you were going through housing troubles, they are so stressful, and of course that messes with your WOE, but now you are ready to get back on track. Sounds like you will be settled in for the school year too, so that takes a big stress away. (or do you homeschool?)

Trish: DD has really got blessing coming his way with all the caring he is getting, from his roommate, and his daughters and family. I hope you can manage a consistent WOE that is working for you with all of this.

Carol, I had to laugh about the heartbeats story. Well, here's the rub, being fit and exercising actually slows the "resting heart rate" so in the end, there is not more heartbeats in a lifetime. I did the math!

For my part, I am finally getting better. I had to take another imodium yesterday to get through a workday of doing home visits. The box says to start with 2 and that one can take again a few times during the day. I only did one quick dissolve tablet both Sunday and Monday, and that got me through. I am good today. The rash is still there, but getting better. I am not spaced out so frequently. So overall, am almost through this terrible reaction.
Saw my family doc today, and I am to start the anti-depressant. My depression and anxiety scores are better today, and I have to wonder about timing. I may try to change my visits so that I am going after time on call, instead of before I go on call. Not sure if that will change the scores or not. She also lined me up with several back up plans, in case I have a bad reaction to the anti-depressant, like sudden suicidal thoughts. This is just physician wisdom, I am glad she knows there can be these kind of side effects, and is making a plan in case they happen.

I am seriously thinking of taking a leave of absence from work in the fall though. I know my work partner would like to be more full time, and I am wondering if more time off would help me get past these issues. I may look for alternative work without on call or shift work.
I have had this in mind for a bit but haven't voiced it yet, so many things to be looking out for.

Anyhow, talk to you all soon again.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, Donna doesn't come back to post on a regular basis, so I will chime in to say that she posted a while back that their house burned down and they were staying with friends while looking for another place to live. It is really a blessing that they found something they like.

I buy generic Immodium, and I take 1 at the first sign of problems and then another if it's persists. I don't usually need another dose in the same day. If I am out somewhere though, I take 2 right at the start, to be sure. I am happy to say that I have not needed it for a couple weeks, since I have been eating more carbs. I'm not happy with what the carbs have been doing to my blood sugar and weight, though. So it's really not a good solution to my problem.

I think taking some time off work is a good idea, especially if you are suffering from depression. I hear about the possible side effects from depression drugs and it's scary, but having a medical background you would know more about it. It doesn't make sense to me that if these drugs are meant to ease your depression, how could they cause suicidal thoughts?

When I worked, I thought I never wanted to retire, that I would be so unhappy with nowhere to go and nothing to do. It seemed that way at first. I wanted to go back to work and I actually dreamed about work almost every night. But it's been 8 years now and I'm really over it! LOL I love being home with nothing to do. I'm glad my health was good enough that I got to enjoy it.

Trish, I hope you can buy some bars individually instead of buying them in a multipack. That way they will not get old. It seems that I remember hearing about going back to the hospital and then being able to start therapy over again. It's really strange. I think if a person needs more therapy they should be able to get it. So many loop holes.

There should be a chair at the hospital too for your Dad to sit in rather than being in bed all day. I would not like that either. When I had my last surgery my doctor would be so happy when he came in each morning and I was sitting in the chair. I would watch the clock and at 5 AM I wanted out of bed. One time I was able to get up by myself. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. The nurses came running down and flung the door open, because the up and down motion of brushing my teeth was causing my heart monitor to go crazy!!

We are different, as I was doing so much better when I was not eating the toast with my eggs. I love it, but when I didn't have it I didn't miss it. Now it just seems to set me off for wanting more carbs. I used to have a loaf of my bread in the freezer for months and just ate some occasionally because I would forget it was in there, but now I'm having it daily. I absolutely have to stop buying it and get back to eating my eggs by themselves.

I usually get burned out on avocados so I hope I didn't make a mistake buying the 6 pack. I want to eat them for the healthy fat. If they bother me, I will give them to my step-daughter. She loves them and eats them every day. Since I have been rereading the low carb book I want to get back to it. I really feel terrible since I have been adding carbs back in. I have less energy and just feel sluggish.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #409  

DonnaI was so tired last night when I got home that I didn't see your post. I am so glad you got a home. I know you were blessed and thankful for the help of those who helped y'all, but life is so much easier in your own place you can call home. I loved living on the water because it was so peaceful some of my fondest memories of spending time in the presence of the Lord just spending time with Him and praying and worshiping Him was during those quiet mornings with my Bible and a cup of coffee. I know you are going to love having your family there. I would have loved living in that environment when my children were young.

fatmad I don't know much about depression meds. I know they can affect different ones different ways. I pray all goes well and you won't have any problems. I know some people don't have problems with them and I hope you will be one of them.

Carol Sue I didn't get any bars because there were too many to in a box. I wasn't sure what to get so I didn't get them. I couldn't tell if there was anything in them that would cause me potty issues or not. I used to keep beef jerky for snacks when needed, but those things are addictive to me so I don't even buy them any more.

Daddy was doing pretty good. Therapy came in and evaluated him. They aren't sure and neither am I as to whether he can get back on therapy or not. We will have to see.

Eating has been crazy so I hope he will get back home soon so everything can get back to normal. Going to bed early again tonight.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #410  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I haven't filled my prescription for the anti-depressant yet. I may need some other paperwork filled out for insurance, and I don't want to start it until after I am on call this week, just don't want to add things into the mix that will be confusing. Also, doc doesn't think I should take the sleep med when I am on call, so I won't do that from Thursday night on.
I have my appointment with the gastroenterologist this morning too, and hope to get a word in about coeliac testing etc.
Otherwise things are much better, other than the rash, most things have cleared up. Still very gassy and some mild abdominal pain from that, but now I know there is nothing worrisome going on like cancer or diverticulitis, I will just leave it.
I am going to fast until noon or so today as well.
Borrowed a Keto diet book from a friend and made some cheddar biscuits last night. They are like the kind they have at red lobster. They turned out well, and I made a large batch, supposedly they can be frozen. The book had some other yummy sounding recipes for those times when I am bored of meat and salad.

Hope the weather is good where you are and you all can get outside for a bit and get some exercise wherever you are.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #411  

I got a good night's sleep last night and was able to fall back to sleep twice when I did wake up. I will probably get on the scale this morning to see just how much damage I have done. I hope it's not more than a few pounds.

Mad, since I have been upping my carbs, some intentionally and some unintentionally, I have not had any potty issues AND my psoriasis on my legs is almost gone. That is in comparison to you, who had potty issues and a rash in response to the accidental serving of gluten you were given. There has to be some significance there. I know that psoriasis can go in and out of remission for no obvious reason but mine rarely clears up. I have always thought that what I eat could make a different but I never in the world thought eating carbs would help. I don't like this at all and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. Also, now I'm wondering if the Turmeric is playing a part. I've taken it before, but not in the potency I'm taking now. Also, I'm not 100% certain that what I have is psoriasis. My doctor diagnosed it as such just by a visual examination, but I've never had an official diagnosis from a derm. It could be anything. I also know there is such a thing as a low carb rash but never considered that for myself.

Trish, don't you also get a rash in relation to how many carbs you are eating? I think I recall you saying that at one time. I'm going to have to look into this low carb rash a little more.

I thought I had seen bars being sold individually somewhere, but I don't remember where. Sometimes I think to try them but then I would just be adding calories to what I'm already eating. I am not usually in a situation where I have to go a long time without food, unfortunately. LOL I was buying beef sticks there for a while but then decided that I didn't really like them that much but was buying them at the suggestion of others who use them.

Prayers continue for your Dad.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #412  

We had a critter in the trap this morning. Ever since we saw the first one run across the room twice on Mother's Day, we have seen no signs of him. We have had traps set all over the house with no sign that there was any attempt to access the bait (peanut butter.) It's been a month! Finally, 3 days ago, we saw signs he had been in the kitchen, so we concentrated the traps in there. For 2 days he accessed the bait and got away, but his luck ran out last night. Here's the sticker. DH and I both agree that the critter we saw on Mother's Day was dark, almost black. This guy was gray. Maybe it was just the different lighting. So the traps will continue. Maybe he'll show his face for Father's Day. LOL
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #413  

I read up about low carb rash and I don't think that's what I have. It says it shows up in the same place on both sides of the body, and in places where I don't get mine. There is something called Diabetic Rash, that shows up when blood sugar is high. So maybe that's what I have. Or maybe it really is psoriasis.

I finished up my bread this morning and won't be buying it for a while, to see what happens.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #414  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Hi! Good morning! I'm just joining back to the community after a very long time away because I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and as I start this new journey I remember that this community being a wonderful support system!
So! Hello!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #415  

mhill0823 This is a good group. Some wander in and out and some lurk. Carol Sue and fatmad and I usually check in at least once a day and have discussions concerning our situations. I hope you will join in and let us get to know you and any questions you want about your new journey with diabetes. We will be glad to share our experience with you, however, we have learned that what works for one of us doesn't necessarily work from someone else.

fatmad I am so sorry you are having a rash. That is how I found out I was diabetic. I was friends with a Health food store owner and he and his wife taught my baby sister and me to do a detox which I did for a long time. I broke out in a horrible rash. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of it. I finally went to the doctor and he never told me how high my bs was, but that was when I was diagnosed as diabetic. He gave me a diabetic medicine and told me to take Benadryl around the clock for the itching. I got on a lowfat diet and started exercising 45 minutes a day and got rid of it and within a week I was off medication. Later when it flared up, I tried Atkins and got it under control again.

Carol Sue I used to think that it was the carbs that caused me to have the rash, but I have had it from eating strict low carb as well. It seems like if I eat a certain amount of carbs and no more that I don't get the rash. Where I get the rash is when I go overboard with them. I did great on the lowfat diet, but I went too low. At the time I was first diagnosed, they didn't know how low you could safely go. So I just went strictly lowfat. I felt good. I had a favorite candy that DH#2's Mother kept at her house all the time. We would go over there once a week to play cards with her and her sister. I would take out 3 pcs of that hard candy and slowly savor it while playing cards. Later I got on the Richard Simmon's diet and using his videos for exercise and I did great. That was about 40 yrs ago when I was first diagnosed.

The way I am dealing with the carbs in my woe is by using MFP. I've decided that I do need some grains so I decided to set my carbs to under 100 a day and work towards keeping the starchy carbs low and calories under 1500.

The crazy thing is that yesterday I went over every thing, but I was still down almost 1 lb today. So knowing what we learned in JUDDD, I will work today at keeping the calories a lot lower. I will work to keep them more like 1000 - 1200. I do remember that when I was doing it before that I read that some people do not go 500 calories on low days. So I'm not going to worry about going lower. MFP only accepts 1000 low so I will try to stay close to that low today. My exercise today obviously will be walking at Walmart since I didn't have time to ride the bike.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #416  

Going out to see Daddy in a bit. I waited to take DH with me because I want to talk to the nurse and I want DH to be with me since he understands the medical terms mean and what is going on when I don't. He also knows the questions to ask that I don't think of. DS and I like having our DH with us so they can remember what we don't.

They are keeping him another night. So we are taking this one day at a time.

Thanks for praying for him and us. We really appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #417  

Trish, I understand that there are some people who do not eat 500 calories or less on JUDDD down days, but it isn't really JUDDD if you do that. It is more like Calorie Cycling. Having alternate days of 500 calories or less is what activates the Sirt1 gene and that is what JUDDD is all about. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.

It seems there is Low Carb Rash that some people get from eating VLC, and it is different from Diabetic Rash that is from having blood sugar too high. I do not get my rash in the areas that were mentioned in the article about Low Carb Rash, so I'm assuming that's not what I have. I also don't think I have Diabetic Rash because I had it whether my blood sugar was high or low, although I must admit that my blood sugar is too high more often than it is low/normal. I'm thinking I do have psoriasis, but maybe sometimes I get Diabetic Rash along with it.

Hi MHill0823. Welcome back to 3FatChicks. We do not have a lot of posters on our Diabetes thread but there is never a shortage of things to read. LOL We tend to get very chatty. We are always trying to learn more about how to handle this disease. Jump right in and tell us more about yourself. How are you managing your blood sugar? Did the doctor put you on any med? Some doctors will allow you to make lifestyle changes before starting meds. I was not diagnosed until I had had it for a while so I went on meds right away, but I am trying to use diet and exercise to keep from increasing my meds, and would like to eventually get off them.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-13-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #418  

All good things must come to an end. We went to Denny's for dinner this evening, and by the time I finished my meal my stomach was churning. I don't know if it was from something in that meal or something I ate before. But I told DH we could not go anywhere afterwards, that I had to hear home. I had eggs and toast for breakfast along with a few cups of coffee, and a couple bites of DH's beef stew he had for lunch. At Denny's I had a salad with ranch dressing, grilled Talapia, corn, a few roasted potatoes and bread. It could have been the salad and ranch dressing that did it, or maybe something else. I don't know, but it's terrible. This is the first time in a few weeks.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #419  

Carol Sue Sometimes when I eat Ranch Dressing or corn when eating out I have problems. So could be either one. I don't know the difference in what I eat there or at home, but it does happen. Yes, I agree if I do alternate calories that it is calorie cycling. I had forgotten about that. I also want to check out the low carb rash and diabetic rash. It might help me understand why I get it if I go low carb as well as too many starchy carbs.

I took DH out to TX Roadhouse for a steak for Father's day because it would be too crowded this weekend and we needed the time to just sit together and be together for a meal. It was nice. I forgot and order Ranch dressing on my salad which I don't usually get out any more because some times it gives me potty issues, but I did fine. I ordered veggies on the side and they were not steamed long enough so I didn't eat much of it. So ended up having mostly steak and salad and a couple of rolls. I came home and ate snacks so I blew today. I have to get back OP and get on that bike tomorrow so I can have 3 days for this week.

Daddy was asleep when we got there and I thought I wasn't going to get him awake, but he did wake up and visit with us and we hated to leave, but it was time. We talked to the nurse. She didn't have a report from the doctor yet for today, but looked up his info online and his white blood cells were still too high and his hemoglobin was too low. If it goes any lower they will probably have to give him blood. So we will see. So I doubt he will be going home tomorrow. I complained about the swelling in his hands and feet which I know is caused from the IV, but I'm concerned that he is not getting the 1 Lasix a day while there. With CHF, I hope that isn't a mistake. If the swelling doesn't go down by Friday, I will call CHF clinic and ask them about it. They are part of the sam e hospital so I'm sure his cardio could handle it if need be.

DS and BIL will go out there to see him tomorrow. I won't go as long as he continues to get better. I will go Friday after my beauty appoint.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 AM   #420  

I read about the diabetic rash and the keto/low carb rash. I read info about the carb rash on Diet Doctor. I don't guess I get the diabetic rash any more. What I've been experiencing has been the carb rash. When I cut out all the starchy carbs I have the rash and when I just add a small amount of carbs it goes away.

Diet Doctor suggests eating between 50 and 100 carbs a day and do Intermittent Fasting with it. So that is what I will do. I will go back to counting the carbs and try to keep them around 75 grams each day. That should work for me with no problems.
Closed Thread