Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Doctor's appointment went pretty well. A1c was 5.8. I don't think it has been that low in years and I had lost 5 lbs. Triglycerides were up for DH and me so we are going on cholesterol meds. I told her I thought it was only because we had eaten so much fast foods while dealing with DD situation. I expect it to be better when we go back. I don't have to go back for 6 months. DH A1c was up to 7.4 so he will have to go back in 3. I hope with IF everything will be better next time.

We went out to eat and I came home and threw up. What I didn't lose that way I lost the other way. Don't know if I got something bad at the restaurant, doctor's office or store. Today will end up being more like a DD than a UD.

Edited to add...

Jesikabeth Although my diet and exercise was not what it usually is, Trulicity really worked for me. I've only been on it for 3 months.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-17-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #227  

I joined a group on FB called JUDDD, EOD, IF, etc. They actually include low carb and CAD on their lists of different low carb diets. So I have decided after having such a good doctor's visit, I am going back to CAD using the 8:16 IF ratio. I will eat my meals 4 hrs apart and I will work at learning to balance the RM most days. The nice thing about is that I can even do lowfat with it. I don't really like doing lowfat, but it is pretty obvious that I cannot eat too much fat.

Reading the fast guide book has helped me to understand why CAD works and combining it with IF will make it work even better. I could even combine it with IE and JUDDD since CAD allows eating the number of meals you need each day. This fits IE because you only eat when you are hungry and JUDDD and Alternate Days fit because one meal a day is also acceptable. This would work great for me. It is strange that when you learn how and why things work makes things a little easier.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, that is a wonderful A1c!! It shows that what you've been doing for the past 3 months is working. Is DH eating the same as you do? My doctor is usually satisfied with 7 or below. I have been much higher the past couple times. I'm hoping it will be lower next time I go. My blood sugars have been much lower since starting JUDDD and yesterday, I actually had an 87. I haven't tested in the 80s since I was diagnosed 9 years ago. I am down another 1.5 lb this morning, after another DD. This is the first plan that has worked for me in ages, and I hope I can continue on with it. I do realize that we usually get a whoosh when we first start a new plan and that weight loss will slow eventually. I am down a total of 8 lbs.

I'm sorry to hear you got sick. It was probably from the restaurant food since it happened shortly after you ate. Did DH eat the same thing you ate? Did he get sick? I hope you feel better today.

Mad, I'm glad to hear you had a light work day. Hope everything else is going well for you.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #229  

Carol Sue Congratulations getting down another 1.5 lbs and the 87 FBS reading. Yes, JUDDD is working for you and I hope you will be able to settle into this too. I'm not sure why we find something that works and then we don't stick with it. The lady that runs the FB CAD support group mentioned that just last week wondering why we stray from what we know works for us.

I have a new low weight at 213.4, but won't count it since some of it is because I was sick. If it stays tomorrow, I will change my ticker.

No DH he didn't eat the baked potato I ate or the dressing. I think it was the fat/dairy combo in both. DH does not eat exactly like I do. He has been eating a lot of ice cream the past few months. A few months ago I found an article a while back on foods to avoid to lower triglycerides. I had printed it out for DD and DS, but I didn't know where I put my copy, but found it this morning so I will read it and make him read it and see where we can work it into our eating plan.

Also DH loves his sweets. I've been saying for a long time that I was going to learn how to make some sweets with Splenda. I even have a cookbook, but never got around to it. We both love ice cream in the spring and summer so I will figure out a way to make homemade with Splenda so we can have it healthier. We both like gravy and my baby sister told me she makes gravy by taking drippings from the food she cooks and adds it to melted lowfat cream cheese and just adds the amount of milk she needs to get it to the consistency she wants making it lowfat and flour free gravy. I made it once and it was really good. I just didn't get it thin enough. So there are ways to cook and get things healthier, but it takes spending the time to do it. I am also going to talk to him about doing a modified form of CAD with me. He does't have to lose a lot of weight. If he would just eat to get his bs and cholesterol/triglycerides down his weight would follow. In fact, his problem is belly fat, he isn't fat any where else on his body.

As for me, I would like to work towards eventually eating 1 or 2 meals a day. However, being on the Trulicity, I might have to do 2 snacks and the 1 RM. Since we can have whatever we want at our RM as long as it is eaten within 60 minutes, we can eat a fairly balanced meal and still end it with a good dessert that would satisfy both of us and be healthy.

One thing I wanted to share from the Fast Guidelines book. It is mentioned that when you hit a plateau, switch things up a bit. For example, do a day or two of doing your fasting period differently than regular like eat only one meal a day until the plateau is broken then go back to your regular eating plan. I read where a woman did that and kept her weight loss coming down.

I am feeling better. I am drinking black coffee with Splenda until I break my fast (it doesn't affect my bs and is allowable when fasting) and I it isn't feeling really great to my tummy right now. I don't plan to start my eating window until 11 or 12 each day when I'm at home. I will have to back it up a little on days I meet DD and DS, but that won't hurt at all. Another great thing when it comes to IF. It is flexible and it is actually good to change things up with IF. It seems it doesn't have to be the same hours everyday making it fit whatever situation we are in that day. That helps me understand why I would be sooooo strict with my eating and then hit a day when I had to eat in a place where I had to have an off meal. I would expect to gain weight, but was always shocked to have a loss instead. My body was trying to tell me to shake things up once in a while. We just didn't understand that.

Better close this off as it is too long already. BTW The way they do my blood work here, it shows what my average daily blood glucose was as well as the A1c. My average was 114 and that was with my Reli-on meter readings all over the place sometimes. I'm learning what to believe what the dietician and diabetic educator told me is true. They said, "You are doing the right things. Don't worry about the numbers as they will come together". I think relaxing and trusting the plan will go a long way in helping things to work because I stress too much over the numbers and that ends up tripping me up. Maybe I won't do that any more.

fatmad I hope things are better for you today.

Have a great day.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #230  

Just logged my food I will eat today on MFP and noticed they will allow you to go as low as 1000 calories. I want to keep up with a lot of things on there so I will continue to use MFP. I will be doing IF ratio of 8:16 with Modified CAD to fit my lifestyle and although CAD says you don't have to count calories, I will because I want to keep my calories between 1000 to 1400 hundred calories a day. This way I feel more in control of what I am doing. Plus I know this will work.

I will work up to 30 minutes exercise 5 days a week and make Saturday my heavy house cleaning day which will count for more than 30 minutes of exercise. I have my plan that will be easy for me to create new habits that will become a healthy lifestyle. Plus it make me feel empowered. LOL

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-18-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: posted accidently before I was read, making corrections
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #231  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

in spite of my "hungry day" and eating more than usual, it was mostly low carb, and my weight went down. Today am having a hard time with cravings though. Must double down on the "sticking to plan" mentality after a busy evening/night of work.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #232  

fatmad Sending good vibes your way.

I find it interesting that Banting's very low carb diet worked well for diabetic. I also read in the Complete Guide to Fasting that 2 American physicians named Frederick Madison Allen and Elliot Joslin were leading proponents of intensive Dietary therapy for diabetes in the twentieth century and they used the "starvation treatment" to treat diabetes until insulin was discovered in 1921. Calories were restricted to 800 calories and carbs were very low at 10 grams. per day. Of course later, lowfat diets took off and everything changed.

I remember when Mama's cousins who looked like twins started coming around. They were very thin. I asked them how they stayed so thin. I was told they did the Banting diet. If they ate potatoes, they didn't eat bread and vice versa. Of course no one thought that was healthy by that time. And so many still don't. My new doctor told me yesterday that "you need to be careful with white sugar and white flour. Yet she never says eat low carb. I have to wonder if she is allowed to. I really believe with all the research going on and so many people getting healthier on low carb, someday they are going to have to see the light.

I'll end up with a 5 yr eating window today. YAY!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #233  

Trish, neither of my doctors ever say anything to me about my weight or diet. After I had my bowel surgery, I remember the surgeon telling me to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I rarely eat fruit, but do like vegetables. I have not been eating many of them lately, though. I once had a gyne who was always telling me to lose weight, and that was when I was in the 130s. If he could only see me now. LOL I stopped going to him because I didn't want to hear that. I felt and still do that 130s was a good weight for me.

Today was an up day and although I don't feel that I binged, I ate more than I normally would had I not had a down day yesterday. I had 2100 calories. The JUDDD calculator tells me to have 1800. I don't feel stuffed. The reason I went over so much is because DH wanted pizza and I went along with him because he has been being so understanding of the crazy way I'm eating. LOL So I figured I'd do what he wanted for a change. The book says to add together what you ate over the 2 days and divide by two to see what your daily average calorie intake is, and mine is 1300 calories average, so that's not really bad and I normally lose at 1300 calories. My blood sugar today was better than it used to be, but much higher than on the down day, naturally. As long as I'm losing, I will continue to do this. The book says that you can switch to 16:8 for a week or so every so often to change things up a bit.

When I am having a down day, anytime I see something I want to eat I tell myself that I can have that tomorrow, so when tomorrow comes, I want all those things. LOL But I don't feel that I am actually bingeing. To me, a binge is when you eat a whole cake or a whole container of ice cream uncontrollably.

I have the Banting Diet book on my Nook. I got it free, maybe from Amazon, and I got it just out of curiosity. I also have "The Starvation Method." I haven't read them for a long time.

I remember when I was in 6th grade a girl around my age was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. That would have been in 1956, I think. I don't know when Insulin was invented, but I remember being at her house and everything she ate was weighed and measured. She died in her 20s but I don't know if was diabetes related.

My mother told me that when she was growing up, my grandfather did not allow bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I don't know why. He came from England, and maybe that was done there. He was not educated at all, could not read or write, so I would doubt if he knew anything about nutrition, and they were really dirt poor and would have to just eat whatever they could get. So I don't know why he had that rule.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #234  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish and Carol Sue: I am so pleased for both of you. Better numbers are healthier numbers. Thats gotta be good.
Congratulations. Keep on Keeping on. Just do it. Just keep doing it.
So far I have managed not to self-sabotage the way I usually do.
Just going for a quick grocery shop was so hard yesterday.
This keeping to plan is much harder than it looks to outsiders, Isn't it?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #235  

Yes, Mad, it is. But I have also noticed that when I see others who are dropping weight, it appears that it is so easy for them, and it makes me wonder why it's so hard for me by comparison. Now I realize that it's actually no so easy for them.....that they are struggling to make it happen. They are doing what needs to be done. They probably have set backs just like we are all having, but they just keep on going and don't look back.

I feel that I ate more than I should have yesterday, but today is a new day, and I am going to make it the best day so far! And the scale will continue to go down.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #236  

fatmad and Carol Sue No staying with it isn't easy. I've learned it takes a strong attitude of "sticktuitiveness" Not sure that is a word. LOL Keep on keeping on. What we are doing will work if we just DO NOT GIVE UP. I recently read somewhere I think it was something on FB that said No matter how hard it is or how many times that I mess up, QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION. I think for me, I have to want it more than anything.

I think DH is going to work at this with me. The blessing to me is that I see a change in him since we moved to TX with my family. For one thing, my family thinks the world of him and that is really good for him. His family treated him like he had nothing to say. My family works hard to include him in everything. Also when my Daddy was in the hospital, my family depended on him to know what the doctor's were telling us. Having worked in the hospital as respitory therapist for almost 20 yrs, e would ask questions we didn't know to ask. Doctors and nurses respected him because my family respected him and would tell the doctors and nurses that they wanted them to explain things to DH so he could explain to us what we were being told.

I say all that to say that I always felt in SC like he didn't care whether he lived or not. The cholesterol medicine they are putting him on costs $130. It made me think that maybe mine would be high to so I told him that I knew that my diet will correct my problems so I wouldn't get mine because I knew it was more important for him to have his since his risk of heart attack and stroke is higher than mine. I was so thrilled when he said to me "if it will keep me from having a heart attack or stroke, it is worth it".

Yesterday I shared with him what I am learning from this book telling him how they used to treat T2 diabetes and that it changed when they discovered insulin and started giving it to T2 diabetes and how giving them insulin when they already have too much is why it gets worse. I told him I had watched home movies of his 1st wife and how she did ate exactly as the ADA told her to do and she didn't have a chance to get well. She died when she came out of heart surgery blind, minus toes and DH said her legs were black and she would have lost them. She chose to die so they took all life support off of her.

When I finished talking to him, he asked me what he has to do to change it. I shared with him that I had just read there is only 2 ways to lower, reverse diabetes and keep it under control.... low carb diet or fasting. He asked me how long he has to fast. I am excited that he is willing to work at this.

This book makes me realize that the idea we have had that low carb and if we eat one meal off we will screw it up IS NOT true. If it were CAD plans would not work. I also think of Dana Carpendar's book where she ate low carb probably 98% of the time, but she would have certain celebrations each year such as anniversary, birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc when she would have a planned off day or meal. She still lost weight.

When I watched the lady who does Ketogenic diet, she said she could have lost weight faster, but she had times she ate differently with a friend etc. This morning I thought of some of the foods that I REEAALLYY love when low carb eating like wings and I just like the wings no sauce etc. I love avocado/eggs with cheese. I know that there are certain fats such as when I was using coconut oil my trigylcerides came way down. I got messed up when I tried excessive amounts in coffee etc. But I had no problem cooking with it. And I know there are some foods DH and I like such as fries and corn occasionally, but they also make a coconut pray now that I can use for cooking and flavor and still stay fairly low carb... more of a CAD day.

Carol Sue Remember that book we read about Miracle foods for diabetics recommended eating veggies with your pizza to counter act the carbs. DH only like cheese pizza so I used to take my 2 slices and add veggies and nuked it and the carbs didn't hurt me. Maybe that is why CAD likes RM to start with 2 c salad along with one non-starchy veggie with the meal.

I know that a very low carb way of eating is extremely good and I know that IF is good for reversing diabetes so why not combine them. I don't think I can log it on MFP much longer although I don't have to complete the log for days I eat less than 1000 calories. I do like knowing the amount of carbs, protein and fat as well as the sodium I am getting each day. That is what keeps me going back to use it. It also keeps me loyal to exercise. I have to use every tool I can to stay on track. One thing I do notice when I log when low carbing is that I have a very difficult time reaching 1000 calories because I just don't get hungry.

FBS yesterday was 103. I changed my ticker as I not only kept the loss but went down to an even 213 lbs. I think that means I've finally lost a total of 25 lbs according to my ticker. The sad thing is that it has taken me over 2 yrs to get here. Hopefully 2017 and IF/Lowcarbing will be nicer to me.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #237  

Trish �� On the A1C,,,,that's great!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #238  

Trish, does your DH exercise? I believe that exercise is a huge key when it comes to lowering blood sugar, along with diet. Even just walking. And if he would just do IF daily, that would really help him. Also, you said he loves sweets. He should really try to cut them out. Even if made with Splenda, most are made with white flour, and it's the carbs, really, not just the sugar. I know it's hard, and I don't think DH would ever give up his sweets.

I didn't track my calories yesterday but I'm sure I went over the 500. We went to the casino. It was my plan to eat baked fish and veggies, but they didn't have any fish at all, and the only chicken they had was fried. I prefer roasted or grilled. So I chose the General Tso's off the asian station. It's really good, but it has sauce on it, and I believe the sauce would be high in calories. My plate was 3/4 veggies, though. And I had a bowl of salad, so I did as well as I could. Just move on to the next day. I had considered doing another DD today, but they say you aren't supposed to do that. So I will eat my UD, but in an 8 hour window.

This is going to sound so strange, but I am starting to like the hungry feeling I get on DD. It's just a little growling in my stomach that tells me I'm doing it right. And each time I do it, it gets easier. Yesterday morning DH wanted to go out for breakfast. I told him it was my DD and he was OK with that, didn't try to coax me. I think he sees that I'm really doing this, when he said I couldn't. That just made it more of a challenge.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #239  

I wasn't going to get on the scale today but I did, and I'm up 2 lbs. No big deal. It will come off. I'm really not hungry today at all. We went to Walmart this morning and DH wanted to go for breakfast. We just went to McDonalds. I had a BOGO coupon for sausage and egg McMuffin. I just ate the egg and sausage out of one of them, and brought the other one home and did the same with it for lunch. I have a corned beef brisket in the slow cooker. I've never made it before but I wanted to try it. I might not even like it. I know DH won't eat it, so I will make a steak or burgers for him. I'm very happy that my appetite has really slowed down. I don't ever want it to get back to where it was. I think the 500 cal down days is causing this. Instead of making me want to overeat on up days, it's causing me to desire less food. This has never happened to me with any other food plan.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #240  

FBS was 116 this morning. Weight at 213.2 still down from last week. I've only been eating a little over 1000 calories and I add raw veggies to do that. I may need to eat a few more during the week because if I continue to do 30 minutes on the bike. I'm also doing well with the low carbing. I'm read on the FB CAD that a lot of the people eat their fruit at RM. I made a fruit salad for our dessert today's main meal.

DH will eat whatever I cook for our main meal with no problem. I try to make it as healthy and balanced as possible. He will cut back on his sweets I'm sure. I really think that eating more healthy foods at home instead of so many restaurant eating will help both of us a whole lot.

We are having fish today. I seem to have a hunger for fish a lot right now and I think I will take advantage of it. I just try to do it every other day or so. I don't want DH to get burned out on it. My low carb breakfast and dinner are very easy. Dinner is more of a snack than a meal. Some form of protein and what I call a finger salad such as celery and cuke sticks and radishes.

Carol Sue Those 2 lbs were probably just water not weight from the sauce you ate. I wouldn't worry about it. I like the attitude it is behind you and today is another day. The point I was making yesterday was that if you can eat a CAD RM once a day with all other meals and/or snacks being low carb, then there is no reason to allow one off food in one day derail us. Knowing this has freed me from the attitude that I am always messing up. We really were not messing up our low carb diet with one meal. We just hit a bump in the road that we needed to realize that everyone whether dieting or not have. Now we need to learn what the normal non-dieters do, forget it and move on with our normal plan at the next meal or snack. We weren't failures on our diets until we decided we had and convinced ourselves that we couldn't do it. We thought we had to be perfect. No one dieting or not are perfect. Normal thin people don't think about diets or what they are going to eat every moment of the day and they do not worry about how many calories or carbs they had that day. I want to eventually get to that point myself.
Closed Thread