Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today is my up day. At this point, I really do not think I will turn an up day into a binge. I don't want to lose the loss I've had so far. The book warns against staying too low on your up days because that could lead to feeling of deprivation, and you don't want that. I was busy cooking this morning starting around 9 and finishing up now, around noon. I didn't eat, except for coffee, and I am very hungry! I cooked two scrambled eggs and made a cup of coffee with them and I feel fine.

I am making stuffed cabbage rolls and haluski (cabbage and noodles.) I should have weighed the meat before I filled the rolls to see how much meat is in each one. I looked on Fitday and 1 oz of cooked ground beef is 80 calories, so I will weigh the finished rolls and estimate from there. The cabbage shouldn't weigh much or have many calories, and there's about a Tbs of rice in each roll. They are cooked in canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sauerkraut. I will eat some cabbage and noodles and also some cabbage rolls, and I could probably have cabbage rolls tomorrow, too, on my next down day.

The book says you can eat whatever you want within your calories, but it does emphasize that you should be eating nutritious food. Lean meat, fruits and veggies, whole grains, with few starchy carbs, such as bread, and just occasional sweet treats. It is a healthy plan, and the book explains how the every other day fasting relieves inflammation that leads to a lot of medical issues.

I don't have a very good track record with sticking with plans, but I am going to try my best with this one. The worst that can happen is that I won't lose, or regain my losses. Been there, done that. LOL

Just one warning to any diabetics. Check your blood sugar often! Your levels should change dramatically! Any meds you are taking may need to be adjusted or stopped altogether.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad I've been using MFP which is free. It has a good number of foods because of so many people use it. It tracks carbs, protein, fat, sodium and fiber as well as sugar and calories. However, since I am going to be giving JUDDD a chance to help me get started losing weight, I am going to be switching to FItday. MFP doesn't like it if I don't eat a minimum of 1200 calories which won't work for DD.

Carol Sue Thanks for the info on and from the book. I haven't decided if I am going to buy the book. There are loads of info on the other website which I'm already a member of.

I went in and calculated my DD and UD calories on JUDDD official website. I check 20% for light exercise and between 25% to 35% with my 3 to 5 day exercises as I want the incentive to keep exercising at least 4 or 5 days. I like the wide range of calories for DD when I can't go so low and of course, I don't think I would ever eat the max of 2406 for UD. However, I do plan to keep the DD calories around 500. I do want to give this a chance for it to work for me. Since I ate a lot yesterday, I decided to start JUDDD today making my 1st day a DD.

I have my 3 month doctor's appoint Friday and I think I will make the next 3 months with JUDDD and experiment to see what happens. I like the benefits the website says this corrects especially the inflammation since I've been having problems with my finger joints ever since I did WW. I'm hoping the plan will get them back to normal.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #198  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Yeah, the ww tracker had a nice recipe builder, which was great for home made foods. I mostly have homemade foods because of allergies and to have my restrictions. Also had lots of Canadian brands instead of just American ones that I can't get here. I will try these out and see what they do for me. I think I need to do a little tracking to make sure I am getting enough calories, and ensure I am getting enough calories from fat when I am doing low carb.
The nor-easter storm passed us by, (went to the east of us) so its just cold and windy here, but with some sun.
have a good day everyone
Old 03-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #199  

I ended up staying with MFP because they have such a great variety of listings. For example, we went to Denny's for lunch. Service there was slow, but the one thing I did like is that they have their calories on their menu. I got the Avocado Grilled chicken Ceasar Salad without the avocado because they didn't have any. So not sure how many calories that lowered it to, but the menu said 660 calories for the whole thing with the avocado. Since I don't know how to figure without, I just used the 660 calories. I ate half the salad and brought the other half home to eat tomorrow night on my UD. I've got my calories planned and figured for the rest of the day and will end up with 585 clocked, but I know it will probably be less even less than 500 without the avocado calories. I am very pleased with my 1st DD.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #200  
Madeleine

Good for you sticking to your DD plan Trish.
How are things working for you Carol Sue?
I am down a bit, will change ticker if I stay there again. Today is a light workday for me, so plan to go to the trail with my dog for a nice walk and when I do go to the office, look at the trackers. ( internet in our rural area is pretty expensive, I don't surf just for fun anymore).
Stuck to my low carb very well yesterday, including going out for wings after work. Thats one nice thing about low carb, non-breaded chicken wings are guilt free. A favourite treat for me.

Have a great Wednesday
Old 03-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #201  

I was just sitting here wondering what I did before I became addicted to the internet. I think I did a lot more reading, sometimes finishing more than 1 book in a day. And I also did a lot of crocheting. That was something I could do sitting in my recliner, watching TV. I had to stop that when we had a dog who used to start from across the room and run and jump into my lap, right in the middle of whatever I was working on. He did that many times when I was reading the paper, too. I never got back to my needlework. I discovered the internet, and now I spend hours surfing. I don't know what I would do without it. My son moved to an area that doesn't have internet access. Or cable, either. They can get online with their phones if they have to, and they have a hotspot for their laptop but it uses their media minutes on their phones, so they are rarely on there. I would feel so lost, but then they are still working, busy with a young child, so they don't care.

I wake up, get a cup of coffee, and log on.

I had my first down day and yesterday was my first up day. My allowance is in the 1800 calorie range. I don't know what I ended up with for the day. It might have been a little over. I was around 500-600 by lunch time and I ate stuffed cabbage rolls for dinner. Most were 3 oz and the smaller ones were 2 oz. Mostly cooked beef. I am not sure what I want to do about up days. Many times I don't eat more than 1500 calories in a day and I don't want to be adding calories just because some book says I should. I want to keep them on the low side, but I know I need to do at least 1000-1200 to keep from slowing my metabolism. Here's a secret....Part of my determination to do this is because DH says I can't. I hate to be told I can't do something.

I don't know what I'm going to eat for my DD today. First of all, I have to find out if DH is going to want to eat out. If he does, then I will think about each restaurant we frequent and what they have on their menu. The salad bar really puts me in control so that is always a good choice. And they all seem to have grilled chicken breast or a baked fish entree, and I can always just have veggies with it and no starch. But I have to know this in advance so I don't eat something else first. He will probably eat leftover cabbage rolls for lunch, but not for dinner. He will want something freshly cooked for dinner.

I got a brand new WW food scale at Goodwill for $5.99. I love it! It made it so easy weighing those cabbage rolls. I never weighed or measured my food. I was always just an eyeballer. I had another food scale but it didn't have a flat space to place the food on. You had to put your food in this little cup. This WW scale is great, and I know they are very expensive when bought new. That was a great Goodwill find!

Mad, I want to know about figuring out my recipes. If I make a pot of chili and enter all the ingredients into the recipe builder, how do I figure out the servings? Do I have to know how many cups of chili the recipe made, and then divide it out? That's my problem. I can do a recipe builder on Fitday, but then I don't know how to figure out how many calories, etc, are in one cup. Once I figure that out, I can enter my own recipe into the Fitday food database. I have already entered a few other things, such as the buttery spread I use and my bread. So much can be done with Fitday, once you know how to use all the features.

I bought a corned beef brisket I want to try for ST Patricks Day, but I won't make it on Friday because DH does not eat meat on Friday during Lent. I don't even know if he will try it. We've never had it, but I saw the brisket in the store and wanted to try it. I might make it on Thursday and then cook a steak for him if he doesn't want the corned beef.

Trish, there are 234 calories in a cup of avacado. Unless you know how much avacado they normally put in the salad, I think it might be safe to use 1/2 cup and subtract that off. I really hate when you order something in a restaurant and they don't have one of the ingredients. Do they give you your entree cheaper? NO!

This is why I don't like Applebees. They don't give you a salad with your meal, or bread. This saves them so much money over time, but their meal prices are still up there. I thought maybe you had to ask for bread, but I looked around and no one had any bread on their table. I don't NEED the bread, it's just something that annoys me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #202  

On Monday, which was my first DD, we went shopping. We went to Walmart, Aldi's and Goodwill. I didn't pay any attention to my Fitbit and before bed i realized I had logged over 11K steps and burned close to 4K calories. That is really unheard of for me. Way over my normal numbers. So I think that, combined with only eating 500 calories, is what caused the 5.5 lbs loss. On a normal day I do around 3K steps and burn around 1700 calories. That's why I don't want to do the 1800 calories on an up day. I guess I could get back to exercising, but I'm so cold anymore, just the thought of putting on my exercise clothes and going downstairs puts me off. I don't know why I'm so cold these days. Also, I know that exercising would warm me up, but I would start out so cold. I have a sweater on constantly and have been keeping a throw over me when sitting down. The temperature in our house hasn't changed. I don't know what it is. When we go to Walmart, it's the middle of the day when it's not crowded. I get my cart and just whiz around the store really fast. I know where everything is, so I don't have to browse up and down each aisle, just run from item to item. If we have time, I also do a lap or two around the perimeter of the store. I would much rather do that than exercise in my exercise room.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #203  
Madeleine

Carol Sue: one of the points of JUDDD would be to rev up your metabolism. If you have been having trouble losing weight on 1500 cal/day, maybe you need to rev it up and bit, getting a few more calories on up days, so the DD really give you some losses. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #204  

fatmad Sounds like you are doing very well back OP. There are things that I loved about low carb and being able to have wings was one of them. They were a great treat for me as well.

Carol Sue I didn't deduct the avocado. However, they did take $3 off the bill since they didn't have the avocado and had to substitute yellow grated cheese for white. I have been reading JUDDD posts on the other website and I am surprised that while a lot of IE people complain about people who use a diet plan while doing IE, there are a few people on there who actually do JUDDD using IE principles. Interesting isn't it? I get the feeling that JUDDD kind of uses some of the IE principles such as eat when you are hungry and eat what you need to satisfy your hunger.

I ended up having a little over 700 calories which is within my high # allowed for a DD so I was still OP. I don't think I will use a lot of the shakes for a DD. I will try to work on getting some low calorie foods that I can chew. I was in Overeater's Anonymous years ago and they always stressed that we need the "chew power" and I guess it stuck. I could do a shake for breakfast, but no other time. Monday was a high calorie day not sure how high, but high enough to call this my 3 day on JUDDD. This week is going to be my easing into JUDDD. One thing I have decided is that I do not want to set my calories above 1600 calories for my UP. I took 1600 calories and checked what 35% would be and it comes to 560 calories for DD. 25% is 400 calories and I personally think that is too low. But I can use the 500 to 560 range for DD. I will plan to shoot for that. I also plan to do this the way WW does. I will try to keep my UD around 1200 calories when I am home and save those extra calories for eating out to allow for any errors in accounting for the calories. I personally think the whole key to losing and keeping it off is to shrink my stomach and I think the DD probably help with that. The UD is just to keep us from feeling like we are on a diet. Just my opinion.

DS called this morning and DD has been having potty issues for past 4 nights peeing all night to the point he said he has little to no bladder control. She is there now waiting for a call from primary doctor. Home nurse said they have medication to help control that. I personally think that he just hasn't been eating anything since he got sick with this junk that is going around and he was eating only jello because it was easy plus drinking water. Plus he takes two medications that makes him urinate. She will see to it that he eats something today and I will go tomorrow to check on him and make sure he eats something with substance. This isn't easy while we are all sick. Her DH is the only one who isn't sick and he still works and will go by and check on Daddy and shop for him. He didn't have any laundry soap and has been washing his clothes in hot water because he didn't want us to go buy groceries for him. Nurse suggested to me that we take his list for groceries pay part of it with his money and part with ours so we can have a receipt to give him to make him think he is paying all of it. Not sure how that will work since his mind is so sharp. You do what you have to do. LOL

The only other thing I need to do is get back to using my recumbent bike. I haven't felt like doing it since I've been sick, but it just might help me feel better. I like to use my walking when shopping as part of my exercising too Carol Sue. As for being cold, I am always cold. My sister and I laugh about the fact that our DH always have a fan going no matter what the weather and freeze us out. She said yesterday that she thought we were supposed to have the hot flashes. We swear they are having them instead.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #205  
Madeleine

I'm trying to figure out how to use my plate without all the extra crap, I don't want 10 fat blasting workouts and endless emails about it. I just want to track my calories
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #206  

I was half way through a long post when my computer decided to "update." Lost the whole post.

Mad, I have never tried My Plate so I can't help you on the extras. I don't get any ads/emails at all from either Fitday or MFP.

It it a free or paid program?

Trish, the purpose of the up day is so your metabolism does not slow down, and the big difference in calories from day to day is what causes a change in your hormones/genes. That is how it effects your inflammation. It's the very low cals one day and much higher cals the next that is having that effect. If you were to eat 900 cals every day, you might lose weight, but you would not have the effect on inflammation. This is the way it's explained in the book. IMO, you cannot save calories up to use on another day the way you do with WW. However, once you have established the DD/UD pattern for several weeks, you can deviate a day here and there with no negative effect. You can even go on vacation and eat normally for that period of time without having an effect. He said that it takes 3 weeks before you lose the effect. I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly.

Today, I decided to eat lunch instead of using all my 500 cals on dinner. I ended up having about 300 cals, so that only leaves me 200 for dinner. I will probably just eat a bunch of veggies. I don't know if I will do that again. I made some diet jello to give me something I can eat in the evening, and I have to remember that I can have chicken broth to help get me through the day.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #207  

Carol Sue Thanks for explaining about the inflammation. I went Amazon and found several books on different way of doing IF that are for free. There is one not free by a Dr. Moseley for diabetes on IF similar to JUDDD but not exact. I just might get some of the other free kindle books. It seems there are many different ways to do IF and make it work. I will have to say that my knuckles aren't hurting today and this is just day 3.

I have the problem like tomorrow when I'm not sure how I'm going to do a DD. Daddy has an appoint with primary doctor at 3:45 and everyone wants to go eat after. I don't think I can fast all day. I may have to look into some other IF woe. Or I just may have to figure out to tweak or re-arrange days somewhat to figure out a personal plan. The Moseley book for diabetes evidently has different ways of doing it to fit those that can't do 500 cal DD. I read he uses a 800 cal DD. I'll have to check it out again. Also Dr. Fung has an IF book and it was either free or low price on kindle. I will probably check his out if it is low. The person I read actually ended up doing the 16:8 IF and I just might go back to that one.

I can't believe there are so many different ways to do IF. Whatever works.

I really thought that this week Friday would be a good DD for me. So I may do a moderately low Calorie tomorrow and do a DD Friday. I did read where it didn't work for one person on the JUDDD group on the other website, but that might be the best way to go rather than to not do JUDDD at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #208  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Hey everyone. My doc is putting me on a once a week injection called Trulicity. Anyone on it?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #209  

Trish, I think you could switch your UD and DD around if it's not possible to do a DD on a certain day. I am going to have to do that on the weekends because I don't think I can do a DD at the casino buffet. It would really be a waste of money to get the buffet and only eat 500 calories. LOL Or maybe JUDDD isn't for you, and you should just do a daily eating window. I don't know if that will get rid of the inflammation the way every other day fast does, though.

Dr Mosely is the one who wrote the 5:2 diet. It is similar to JUDDD, except you only do the 500 calorie days twice a week.

I am wondering what effect this will have on other medical issues. Such as my psoriasis. I am always looking for something to help with that. Or my sinus issues or nasal allergies. I don't have a lot of arthritis problems, except for my knee, and I think there's damage there that it wouldn't correct.

I had an easier DD today than Monday. I think I'm getting used to this. Maybe I finally found the plan that will work for me long term. It's about time! I will probably have days that I just can't do 500 cals. I allow myself to be less than perfect. If I can follow this 80% of the time I will be happy and consider it a success.

Jessica, I am not on Trulicity, but maybe someone else can offer some information about it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-15-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #210  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesikaBeth View Post
Hey everyone. My doc is putting me on a once a week injection called Trulicity. Anyone on it?
My sister and I are on Trulicity. We both did experience some nausea for a bit, but it wasn't severe and finally disappeared as quickly as it came on. I also experience some dizziness, but finally decided it was my sinuses.

We had moved and I talked to my new doctor about giving me something because I had being seeing too many 200 FBS readings even with my diet and exercise. I love how quickly it brought my FBS back down to where I never get a reading more than 130, but mostly it is in the 120s. I have seen some 111s. I think it would be even better if I hadn't been under so much stress since I started taking it back in December. My DD was diagnosed with CHF and we spent a lot of time in the hospital with him and taking care of him since we came home. I haven't been able to stay OP with diet and exercise consistently. Therefore, I am very pleased with how Trulicity has worked for me. I am convinced that if I had not been on it the stress would have driven my FBS up higher.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for my sister and me.
Closed Thread