Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I also like eating in most restaurants. Most of the places we eat I can find OP foods or close to it.

I was looking at my old old WW materials earlier today. I had forgotten all about the old Core Plan which leans more toward the IE way of eating. It is pretty much the way I ate when first diagnosed with diabetes years ago. Only I followed the Richard Simmons plan which was similar. I got my weight down and got off all meds in less than a month and stayed that way for years until I started back to my old way of eating. I'm going to use some those guidelines. As I looked at some of the Core foods, I realize that is pretty much what I like to eat such fruits (although with diabetes they are limited), veggies, whole grains which of course I limit and I'm not sure if they mean eat only one serving of grains/starches a day or what. I figure I will go by the core markings in the food section of the book. It does call for fat free, but I'm not big on fat any way so going more lowfat is not problem for me. I need to make some more changes because my weight is going back up and I AM NOT GOING TO LET THAT HAPPEN. This is the year that I am going to get things going in the other direction. My FBS is getting better now that things are getting more settled with my DD, I am going to work on me, my health and weight. So I'm going to see how if this Core way of eating will work as well for me this time as it did when I did the similar RS plan years ago.

I have a fairly busy day tomorrow. Need to get to doc's office for bloodwork before I go to beauty shop. Not sure we are going out for lunch or not. We have all had a very busy week with DD and I think he wants to stay home. We may go over for me to do his meds either after I go to beauty shop or after DH has his bloodwork done tomorrow afternoon.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Trish. What is the difference between Core and Simply Filling? I think Core was before I tried WW. There'a a lot of info online about it, but I don't have it in my WW folder. It should work well for you because of the Trulicity.

I am considering trying JUDDD. I have been reading posts on that other forum, and there are people who have been posting there for a very long time and doing it successfully. They have posted some things that I can truly relate to. It is not recommended for diabetics because of the chance of a hypoglycemic episode, but since my meds are taken at meals, I should not have that happen. I check blood sugar often throughout the day so I should easily see if there's a problem. Really, the thought of only having 500 calories is scary to me, but I'm thinking I could work up to it, and if it's really a problem, well, I can just eat something. It's not like someone is locking me in a room with no food. You don't know until you try. I feel as if I've tried everything else at this point.

Even though it's a basic concept, I want to get the book. You know how I am with those books, Trish. LOL LOL It's not available at the library. I'm trying to decided between getting the Kindle book and having it today, or buying a used book and waiting for it. It's about the same $$ with shipping. I like the convenience of a Kindle book, but for a diet book, I like having the actual book because it's easier to just go to a certain section to read a review if I want to. I have to decide.

For whatever reason, my friend is able to lose weight on any plan she tries, as long as she gets herself in the mode to stick with it. But she has never maintained for an extended period of time. She did WW, another plan similar to WW, she used some drink she bought from QVC, she used Richard Simmons, and now she has done reduced carb. She has lost very well every time. I am so different. I lost to goal one time in my life, and that was at age 21. I maintained that for 10 years, until I met DH, when the pounds began to creep back on. I have never lost successfully since then. I know it's my environment, eating with DH, and I don't seem to have what it takes to change that. If I was alone again I think I would lose very well, but I don't even want to think about that possibility. I would rather be 200 lbs for the rest of my life than live without DH.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #183  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I can see I am going to have to google JUDDD, what ever that is!

I am home and ready to get back on plan. I will weigh tomorrow am and see how things are. DH got a stomach bug while we were away, I bet he lost some weight. Has hardly been eating.

I kept it light, but a little more carb intake than I would like. Will get back to normal now. DD took good care of our dog, she looks worn out. .
Its pretty nasty outside, cold and windy, so I am thinking treadmill today. Need to do something after the 7 hour drive.

Last off call night, might do a movie or at least get a pay-per-view tonight.

hope you are all doing well and staying warm
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #184  

Quick flyby. DH and I have been sick this week end. I really think it is allergies, but miserable. Friday when I weighed I had gained some weight and didn't really didn't know why. Weight was back down some this morning and probably will be down even more tomorrow as I have no appetite.

Had our blood work done yesterday and then DH wanted know what we were going to do after. I told go eat and then go home. I had no energy to go shop. I have to go tomorrow and do DD meds for next week. I hope I am feeling way better by then. All I want to do is sleep.

Carol Sue Core and Simply Filling is the same thing just different name. May have even added some foods when they changed it to Simply Filling.

I don't think I could do JUDDD because I am not sure I could do the 500 calorie days. I think that is like the cycle calorie/carb days where you have high calorie/carb days and lower calorie/carb days. Isn't it? I think it supposedly works by confusing the body because it doesn't know if you are dieting or not. I've heard it works.

Fatmad Sorry your DH had the stomach virus. I actually wondered if I had a virus along with the allergy attack since I've had potty issues and not able to eat much of anything. Hope you really enjoyed your holiday.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #185  

DH and I have been sick, too. DH was much sicker than I was. He wasn't getting out of bed, and that's not like him. He mentioned the ER a couple times, but got through it. I don't know if he was sicker than I was, or if he is just less able to cope with it. I worried because people our age can die from the flu. Mine feels more like allergies. He lost his appetite and probably lost a few lbs. Not me. I never lose my appetite, and I am up a few. Same old story. We did not have any potty issues. I haven't had them for a while, over a week. I should knock on wood. Last time I had it I had eaten greasy dark meat chicken. I think the grease is what does it for me. If I cook it in my pressure cooker it gets very tender and cooks fast, but it's greasy because I cook it with the skin on, and then take the skin off before eating it. Maybe in the pressure cooker I should removed the skin before cooking. I love that it's so moist, but it really does me in.

Trish, I think JUDDD is calorie cycling, but it CAN be done low carb. I have not been able to do a down day yet, so things are not looking good.

Mad, JUDDD stands for Johnson's Up Day Down Day. Johnson is the doctor. Up day you eat "normal." Down day you eat 500 calories or less. Since you never go more than 1 day on low calorie it does not slow your metabolism. There are more details to it, but that's the jist. On the website, there is a calculator where you calculate how many calories you should have on a down day and up day, based on your gender, age and weight, and also if you want your down day to be 25% of your up day calories, or up to 35% of your up day calories. It is also called Alternate Day Diet. Another version is 5:2, where you do 500 calories two days a week and normal the other 5. The key to success is how well you stick to the DD calorie count, and also not going hog wild on the up day. The up day is probably similar to what you would eat when dieting, not a free for all. Someone with binge eating disorder would probably not do well. I still don't know if I'm going to be able to do it. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I need to find a way to get my first down day under my belt and then see how it goes from there. I need to get it through my head that hunger is not a life or death situation. I've done very low calorie before. Why can't I do it now?

One of the keys is that if you want something and it's your down day, you know you only have to wait until tomorrow to have it, not wait all week for a cheat day, or whatever plan you have for small indulgences.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #186  
Madeleine

thanks for the info on JUDDD, I too have trouble with the concept of cycling calories. It makes sense logistically, but just like sticking to any plan, my irregular schedule makes it hard.
I go back on call tonight and will be on call for the week. Am feeling a bit tired, even though I slept well last night, just the concept of the time change I guess.

Weight is the same as before I left (hurray) but still up from ticker, and I will change the ticker up if I don't shed it by midweek. Its just above 180, and I want to be down again.

I had two shopping experiences while away. At one store, I was buying a new bra and underwear. I wanted the same bra as ones I have at home that are the most comfy. No underwire, even for my large bosom, and wide straps and decent support. Got that, and some new panties, but also tried on a few "sexy" things. That was a big mistake. I should know not to try on that kind of thing in a regular department store. Nothing fit and just made me feel fat and ugly.
Definitely a specialty store sort of thing, but the experience put me off.
DOn't know about you, but I haven't had a good shopping experience in a department store in ages. They have all cut back on staff to the point where there is no service.
In contrast, I went next day to a clothing store I like. (called Laura here) They carry a line of jeans (Simon Chang) I like, as they have some nice stretch in them and look good on me.
Had great service, and the clerk checked in on me, and got me things in different sizes (I got one pair in a 12 and one in 14, they are cut a bit differently) so that was great. Completely different and more enjoyable. I always have trouble in there, I often buy too much because they keep bringing me things that look good on me and make me feel pretty. The store has a regular, petites and plus size in the same store, and the clerks are good at bring stuff from the different areas that they think will look good on me, and understand the way the clothes are cut that affect the size. Non-judgemental about size too.
In any case, not sure where else to buy my wonder bras if not at the department store, but will certainly stick to the good places for other clothes.
happy Sunday to you, we have sun and will have a nice walk today, but a couple of days of late winter storms coming our way after this.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #187  

Carol Sue I don't think I could do an up day without binging. That is why I can't do CAD any more. I find that I overdo the carby foods at the RM. That's why I've decided to just go ahead and do the lowfat diet and may end up counting calories again.

fatmad Sorry for the bad shopping experience, but glad you had a better one shopping for the jeans.

Everybody is sick with whatever is going around. I'm on the down side of it and have to go do DD meds, go to the store and come back home. DS has it today and today is day 2 for DH.

Finally figured out how to put my ticker back on here. One more lb and I will be able to change it back to my 214 low. One good thing about being sick is that my weight has come back down to 215.8. So this is a good day to get on plan. I'm also looking at lowcarlowfat diet that I saw online, but didn't have time to read up on it. So maybe my lowcarbmoderatelowfat would work after all.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #188  

Hi ladies, back from my cruise, then had company who managed to bring the flu to. ( actually could have been from my grandkids) but my sister in law was so sick the night before they left,,,then shared it with me the next day. I've been sick ever since,,,lying low, eating soup and crackers and napping, napping, napping. Ughhh managed to lose the poundage I gained on the cruise but not in a good way. On Facebook it said the flu is hitting hard right now everywhere.
I haven't been out in 4 days,that's not me!!!
Back to the couch,,,I'll be back.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #189  
Madeleine

Sorry for that p.a. I take it you mean a stomach bug? or true influenza? Everyone around here who tells me they have the flu actually has a stomach bug. So its a pain, but not dangerous.
I think I will be down tomorrow, had a good day on target with food, and a nice trail walk in the sunshine, but it was sure cold.
Hope its not too busy this week for work. the time change makes me tired.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #190  
Madeleine

yippee! back to ticker weight. Now..... onward with losing more!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #191  

Yay Fatmad! Back to ticker weight is always a good feeling! I haven't bought any new clothes for a long time. I really have an over abundance since I'm not longer working and am not really very social, so no where to wear them. Even if I lose, I have a LOT of too tight things that I can go to. I can go shopping in my closet. I have a problem with bras, because it seems that when I need them, they no longer make the ones I was buying before, so I have to search for what will work. I got several in Kohls that were on clearance, so I'm set for a while with them. No sexy undies for me. That ship has definitely sailed! LOL

Trish, I understand what you're saying about bingeing on up days. We are all different and know what will and will not work for us. There are some other people who have the same problem with the up day. I bought the Kindle book and I'm very glad I did. What I've read so far is very encouraging. The thing with JUDDD is, it is not "500 cals one day and whatever you want the next." There is a calculator you use to tell you how many calories to eat on a down day, and how many to eat on an up day. The down day calories can be anywhere from 25% to 35% of your up day calories, so my range is in the 300s to the 500s for down day, and in the 1800 range for up days. You don't just eat what and how much you want as some people believe. I normally eat from 1300 - 1800 per day now, so an up day will just be an ordinary day for me.

I am very enthused about this, especially after what I've read in the book. When I think back, I did something similar in the past years ago successfully. I know I can do a down day, as long as DH will respect it. As he has done in the past, he will be trying very hard to get me to cave. I don't know why he's like that.

I have tried everything else to lose weight, except for weight loss surgery, and I will not do that. So maybe this is my last chance.

Sorry to hear everyone has been sick. DH was very sick, and I have a touch...not enough to keep me down, just enough for me to know it's there.

p.a. Welcome back! Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Sorry to hear of the illness. Hope it's short lived!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #192  

fatmad Congratulations on being back to ticker. I'm hoping to be back to the 214.6 sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow or the next day. I finally found the way to put a ticker on here again and put it where I was yesterday, but didn't change it on avatar info. I hope I can change it back to fit the sidebar this week. Right now I'm taking that as a great move. LOL Hope your back to work on call week will be nice to you.

p.a. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, but so sorry about the illness. I said the only good thing that came out of my bout with the sickness this past weekend was that I wasn't hungry ad lost most of the weight I had gained. I agree with you; not the best way to do it. Hope you feel better soon.

Carol Sue Was the book free on kindle? I don't want to buy one, but might read it for free. Do they tell you what to eat? I might check in to it. It can't hurt. I would think your down days could be mostly veggies and maybe fruit for me.

DH has mentioned weight loss surgery to me years ago because we knew a couple and then SIL DM who had it before the lap band surgery. And of course, my DS had the lap band. I have never known anyone who it worked for long term. The couple who did have it have problems with it all the time. My DS still has problems eating sometime as they injured her some way and it causes her to get choked. I just don't think it is worth it. I would rather be fat and fairly healthy as to go through all that and still gain it back or have some other problems after it. Hopefully someday I will be able to lose enough to at least get my BS under control and be fairly healthy rather than go through all I've seen them go through.

BTW My FBS has been 122 for the past 3 days so I believe when I get on a regular eating routine and back to exercising, that should improve as well. I will look up the JUDDD book on kindle and see if I think I could do it. I should be able to get back to a good routine this week. DH and I have doctor's appointment Friday afternoon. Don't know what days I will be going to meet DD and DS since she has what I had the past few days. DH and I do need to go to get meds and few groceries this afternoon and that depends on how he is feeling since he has been going through what I did. I would just as soon go tomorrow as to go today.

Y'all have good Monday.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #193  

Trish, the book is not free. It's $7.99. This is only the second time I have paid for a Kindle book. I would prefer to have a regular book where I can read through selected parts if I want to, but I did the Kindle because I wanted it right now. It was not available at the library.

From what I can see, they don't tell you what to eat. I don't know if there is more specific info farther on in the book. Most of the ones doing it online never read the book. They just do it on their own, and some tweak as they go. It's just the old fashioned calorie counting, with a twist.

I have not had anything else but coffee so far, and it's almost 2 PM, so I believe I will make it to dinner. I'm not sure what I'm having, but I'm leaning toward having a baked potato. I will use the spray butter on it that has no calories. Then I have to make it from dinner to bedtime. The book says that the first two weeks your down day is supposed to be a meal replacement shake, but I'm not going to do that. I don't do well with shakes. I need the chew factor of eating food.

I removed my ticker and decided to just use my stats, but right now, they're wrong. I was up to 206, but today am back down to 203.5. I don't know how that happened after eating the buffet at the casino yesterday, but who am I to argue with the scale? LOL I did not eat anything after dinner, so maybe that's why I had the drop.

Weight Loss Surgery sounds like an easy out, but it's not. Surgery is always risky. After the initial weight loss, you are really right back where you started because cravings come back, and you can very easily regain. I would hate to go through all that and just regain. You have to learn healthy eating and stick to it, so why not just do that in the first place? Maybe if I weighed more I would feel it was more of a necessity.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #194  
Madeleine

doing well overall. I am quite happy with things yesterday, after being up part of the night working, I didn't try to "exercise" and go for a walk, but did get some movement in. But I ate ok. I had an omelette before going to bed in the morning, rather than a more carb heavy alternative, like eggs and toast. I have often used the carbs to help me get to sleep. Avoided that, but the quality of the morning nap wasn't good. Fortunately, nothing else came up in regards to work so that was ok.

I am experimenting a bit today. Having a smoothie for breakfast, using kefir. Research shows that the good bacteria in kefir (its like thick liquid yoghurt if you have never had it) gets into the gut better than yoghurt, and that healthy gut bacteria is helpful in diabetes. No harm in it, so am giving it a try.

what are other folks doing for calorie counters? When I was on WW I had the online thing, and it was nice and easy, I'm looking for an alternative without the cost. Any ideas? Not sure I really want to, but I do want to make sure I am getting adequate calories and not starving myself and slowing my metabolism too much.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #195  

I got through my first DD and survived. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I am very very close to Onederland again. I found that I cannot do potatoes for my DD because it spiked my blood sugar. I can do veggies, or choose one of the recipes in the book. Somehow I thought I could do the potato since that was all I was going to eat all day. Silly me. I'm a diabetic no matter how you look at it.

Mad, I use Fitday. I like it, but I don't use it every day. It's hard when you cook....for example, my chili recipe could be a lot different from chili on their website. But it gives me a general idea of what I'm ending up for for the day, and breaks it down into protein, carb, and fat and also lists fiber, and vitamins if you care to delve that deep into it.
Closed Thread