Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I ended up going to Amazon and purchased Dr, Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting which came out last year. I got it on kindle for $9.99. It received 86% 5 stars. One person recommended reading his book The Obesity Code first. I was able to read a free download section and decided to go with the guide instead. I figure that you have Dr. Johnson's book and I'll have Dr. Fung's book and maybe between the 2 of us we can learn from both.

I think I could do a 24 hr fast from Saturday to Sunday although maybe not every Saturday depending on what is going on. However, I think I could do it most of the time. I just don't know what other day I could fast. I will just have to see how I can do this even the Alternate Days in JUDDD. I will see what else he suggests in his book. I think we just have to figure out how we can work fasting into our eating. I think there are just too many good benefits not to figure it out.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #212  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
My sister and I are on Trulicity. We both did experience some nausea for a bit, but it wasn't severe and finally disappeared as quickly as it came on. I also experience some dizziness, but finally decided it was my sinuses.

We had moved and I talked to my new doctor about giving me something because I had being seeing too many 200 FBS readings even with my diet and exercise. I love how quickly it brought my FBS back down to where I never get a reading more than 130, but mostly it is in the 120s. I have seen some 111s. I think it would be even better if I hadn't been under so much stress since I started taking it back in December. My DD was diagnosed with CHF and we spent a lot of time in the hospital with him and taking care of him since we came home. I haven't been able to stay OP with diet and exercise consistently. Therefore, I am very pleased with how Trulicity has worked for me. I am convinced that if I had not been on it the stress would have driven my FBS up higher.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for my sister and me.
Thanks for sharing about it! Hopefully it is ok for me. I was on Bydureon, but my doc is switching me. So we'll see!!! I am glad it's working well for you Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Just call me Alice, cuz I am in ONEDERLAND!! 199.5 this morning! Thank you JUDDD!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #214  

Jesikabeth They say Trulicity may help curb your appetite helping you lose weight. As I said, I had a lot of stressful things going since I started taking it, but it does help curb my appetite. When I don't fall into eating just because it is time to eat etc, Trulicity works very well for me in all areas.

Carol Sue CONGRATULATIONS GIRL!!!! I am thrilled for you. You have definitely found your way. I am as happy for you as if it were me. It has been a long time coming.

I stayed up late reading Dr. Fung's book. This book is written with a man named Jimmy Moore. I don't know him but he seems to be popular. It is helping me to understand fasting and how it works better. No wonder it got such a high rating. The woman I read who rated it said this book helped her find the way that was best for her and made it work for her. I like JUDDD and IF and I will be figuring out a way to make it work for me. I might not be able to do it exactly like JUDDD says because of the stuff going on with my DD.

Mr. Moore says not to fast when in a stressful situation. However, at this point in my life, if I wait till things are good, I'll never be able to do this. He also says to start off fasting one meal and work up. As I said last night when I posted, there seems to be many different ways to do IF.

I think what I will do until things settle is 8:16 on most days with maybe a 5:19 ratio on days I can. I will even attempt at alternating them and perhaps throw in a 24 hr fast once a week when I can. I am absolutely sold on IF. I think I need this type of guidelines right now to keep me for going wild on my UD. Having a cut off time for my eating will work better than setting calories as high as JUDDD does. I am going to do like a lot of JUDDD people do and use IE along with it.

Carol Sue Does JUDDD say you have to eat low carb or just low calories?

I found it interesting in the sample reading I did of Dr. Fung's book on the Obesity Code, that until 1900 no one ever heard of going on a diet.

fatmad, p.a. and others
Old 03-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #215  

Trish, JUDDD is just calorie counting. Low one day, normal the next. Dr Johnson says to eat primarily nutritious food, including whole grains, but limiting starchy carbs. He does not say eliminate them. I think eating a lot on UD would make it even harder to do the 500 cals on DD. I don't think I stayed at 500 cals yesterday. I have to estimate my calories because I don't eat packaged food that tells you the calories per serving, but apparently I am doing a good job of estimating because I'm losing.

Today is an UD. So far today I have had 1000 calories, but only about 5 gm of carb. That was from the veggies in my eggs, and the cabbage and rice in my cabbage rolls. But I normally eat pretty low carb, except for the times when I deliberately eat things like lasagne or spaghetti or an occasional potato. It's not often, maybe once in 2 months, but I do it. I eat carbs, but try to keep it to a minimum. I don't know what I'm going to eat for dinner. I would like to end up around 1500 calories.

I have read some of Jimmy Moore.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #216  

I broke my fast at 12:30. Talked to my sister and we are going to go eat at Cotton Patch when we leave the doctor's office. Like she said, "Daddy will need to eat. So we will take him with us." I love Chicken Fried Steak which I don't do often. This is a DD. I love MFP because they have everything. They had listings for foods at Cotton Patch. I had 2 eggs scrambled in butter with Canadian bacon and mozzarella grated cheese. If I eat half the order, I can eat the Fried steak and stay under 800 calories today as well as eat within a 5 hr window. However, they also have a chicken quesadilla that is less than 400 calories. I am skeptical of eating the steak because I have had potty issues after eating it in other restaurants. But either way I will still be OP. Even if I eat the steak and am on the high end of the allowed calories for today, I will still be within the JUDDD DD rules and still OP.

I have learned from my binges on the UD that I gain 2 lbs and after the DD I only lose 1 lb. That will not work with weight loss. I will definitely be staying within 1200 - 1300 calories on UD. The benefits of this is just too good to mess it up. I just know that I have to do them within an 8 hr eating window so that I get the benefit of IF.

Carol Sue We have worked through so many different diets to find what will work for us and like you have said, we seem to be a lot alike. I honestly believe that this is very doable for us. I think it is because we grew up not eating 3 meals a day, we set our metabolism to work that way so by following the JUDDD plan, I think we are basically eating close to the way we ate then.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #217  

One thing I noticed today was once i started eating, my appetite took off. At 1000 calories, I don't feel that I binged, but I could have if I had not caught myself. I need to be careful of that. I guess it wasn't even close to a binge, but after having a 500 calorie day I felt as if I really ate a lot, so it felt like a binge. I am not hungry now at 3 PM, but we will not be eating until at least 4 or 5. If DH wants to eat out, I will order something small. If I eat at home, I want a piece of grilled salmon.

Another problem today was that I wanted my scrambled eggs that I missed yesterday, plus I had the leftover cabbage rolls already available to eat, plus the rotisserie chicken. If I had not had something available, I might not have been inclined to eat so much. I also have to remember that I'm not supposed to feel guilty for eating so many more calories on an UD. That's the way it's supposed to be, and my food was healthy. I have to trust the plan to work, as long as I'm doing it correctly.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #218  

I ended up eating 900 calories today, but I did it in within a 5 hr eating window. I am very excited about being able to eat at out and keep the calories from going any higher. Tomorrow I plan to do an 8 hr eating window and keep calories around 1300 to 1400 calories since we will probably go eat out after we leave the doctor's office.

Took DD to doctor and he has a UTI. He will be taking antibiotics for the next 10 days. At least we know he will be okay. Busy day tomorrow so will check in tomorrow evening.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #219  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default Hi ALICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Just call me Alice, cuz I am in ONEDERLAND!! 199.5 this morning! Thank you JUDDD!
so happy for you.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #220  
Madeleine

a little disappointed, was down for two days, but back up to ticker today.
After an all-nighter of working, I had peanut butter on toast to eat before going to sleep. But then stayed low carb for a late lunch and supper.
I know its likely just normal bouncing around of weight, and eating the carbs probably added back fluids (we know low carb reduces fluid retention). but its still disappointing.

In any case, after a good nights sleep and getting back on track today, we will see how things are tomorrow.
Also, time to get back to doing some testing and make sure sugars are in range.
Hope the bread yesterday doesn't have me craving carbs terribly.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #221  

Trish, sorry to hear your Dad has a UTI. Hope it clears up quickly. That poor man! What he's been through!

I didn't get weighed this morning because they say not to weigh after an UD. I can tell my weight is up by the way my rings feel, but that is how this plan works. I will probably not weigh more often that once or twice a week. I ate the salad bar at a local restaurant yesterday. They have a senior salad bar from 2-5, so we took advantage of the $2 discount.

Mad, it is disappointing to have the upward fluctuations, and that is why I don't like daily weighing. It's really frustrating. Some can do it without a problem but that's not me. It's fluid, and we know it's fluid, but we get upset anyway.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #222  
Madeleine

i hear you Carol Sue, about the negatives of daily weights. I am using it to keep me on track, that there are negative consequences when I go off plan. BUT, generally, at this point, after 10 pounds down, I would feel that losses tend to be fat losses now.
SO overall, I am doing well. interesting that one off meal has this effect. I no longer have so many hormone fluctuations now that I have no menses, but clearly there are other fluctuations!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #223  

Yes, Mad, I understand that your losses are fat losses, but still feel that the gains are fluid, not fat. KWIM? Even naturally thin people fluctuate in weight from day to day.

I am so proud of myself. DH made breakfast and I turned it down. I am not hungry at all. It's really not like me to turn down eggs.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #224  

fatmad Sorry about the bump up in weight today. It probably is only temporary water weight, but still isn't fun to see. That happens to me if I get too much sodium which is easy to do when we go out to eat. Some restaurants use it and some don't and some more than others. Knowing that I took my mild fluid pill last night since I have to weigh this afternoon at the doctor's office. I don't know if I will show a loss or gain at the dr's office, but at home I am right with ticker. I just hope I can get things moving downward. As the dietitian and the diabetic ed told me, keep doing what you are doing and it will come together. So just hang in there because you know you are on the right track. Remember that it is not a set back. It is just a bump in the road which we will have once in a while.

I like seeing these things as a bump in the road because a bump in the road doesn't stop us from going in the direction we want to go, it just slows us down for a few seconds. You are actually doing very well.

Carol Sue Congratulations for passing on the eggs. You are doing really good staying on your plan.

I didn't go do DD pills today. He decided to let us girls go home after our beauty appointments because I go to the doctor this afternoon, I didn't want to eat anything. He has his apartment cleaned every other Friday and they come today. He doesn't like to be there when they clean so he is getting out and driving around while they clean. I will have to over there tomorrow or Sunday to set up his meds.

I am getting a lot of good info in this Fasting Guide. He makes the point that it is flexible. He told of doing a 28 day fast. During that 28 day fast, he took a break 3 days because "life happens" (my phrase) situations. He had to make unexpected trip to and from in-laws and felt he needed to break the fast during the stress of the trip. The other was another unexpected commitment that came up. He said it doesn't hurt to break your fast temporarily if you need to because you can get right back to it when you can. He does seem to not worry about counting calories but then he does eat and recommend low carb.

My FBS was 110 and my weight was back to 215.4. My weight had gone up to 218.4 after my UD. I can see why it would be good to not weigh after UD.
Another interesting thing I read in this book is about how people used to eat until everybody started dieting. He said that people used to eat 3 meals a day 5 hrs apart with no snacks. I found that interesting because when I was doing the 10:14 IF ratio, I noticed that my bs readings were easy to keep down when I waited 5 hrs between my meals and no snacks. I ate breakfast at 10 am, our main meal at 3ish and a small meal at 8 pm. Just thought I would share.

I think when I finish this book, I will also get the JUDDD book. It won't hurt to have the info.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #225  
Madeleine

yes, interesting how we are moving on. I am definitely having a "hungry" day today, after the bread yesterday. Whether its coincidence or not, I am sticking to low carb, but allowing myself to eat when hungry. Just making sure I get plenty of fat to attempt to get satiated . Light work day, so glad.
Closed Thread