Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, I rarely use artificial sweeteners. Only in my tea, and I rarely drink tea. I do not make artificially sweetened baked goods because DH would not eat them, and he is the sweet eater around here. Most of what I make I make for him, and I will take a small taste here and there. Not enough sugar to harm me much.

I must have missed something. Are you looking for a new job, or just a move up in your current job?

Trish, some of the meds I take say they may cause dizziness. I think that's why I occasionally have dizziness where I get in or out of bed. The first time I hurried to get out of bed and went right over and crashed into the closet door. I was dizzy and vomiting the rest of the day. Now I get some dizziness when I first lie down, and when I get out of bed I get up slowly and sit on the side of the bed for a while. Occasionally, I am still a little lightheaded when I start to walk, and I hold onto furniture and walls. But it goes away once I am up and about. A couple times it hit me if I bend way down suddenly. It happened once in Goodwill when I bent down to look at books on the bottom shelf. At first I thought something was wrong with me, but then I realized what it said on my meds and I think it's that. I need this med though for my heart, so I will not stop taking it. It's not a constant problem, just more of an annoyance. A lot of people get this with blood pressure meds.

My blood sugar was way up before bed. I realized I went way over on carbs, more than usual. I am back to plan today. I was watching My 600 Lb Life this week and this young man was 1003 lbs. They had a therapist come and talk to him, and when the young man said "I am trying to change my ways." The therapist said "No, you are changing your ways, not trying to." So I am working on changing my thinking. I am back on plan today, not trying to get back on plan.

Maybe since this is a once-a-week med it works 24/7, and you should not be doing IF. Did you have these same problems when you were not doing IF? Your BS readings might be coming down quickly and causing symptoms, but it doesn't seem to be going dangerously low. On the diabetes site I sent to you, they said that you will get symptoms when you are working toward lowering your blood sugar, but it's not dangerous if it doesn't go below a normal reading. It is just your body working toward better control and you should not eat to compensate. I understand what they are saying, but it's hard to ignore those symptoms. Also, these people are not doctors. They are just relating their knowledge and personal experience. They believe in taking Metformin, but not other meds that increase your insulin production, like glimiperide. And they believe in taking insulin injections if you need them. I don't always listen to my doctor, but I would not recommend that to someone else. Always consult your doctor about your issues.

This is the time of year that my allergies are the worst. The lilacs bushes are starting to bud, and I have to stay out of the back yard when they are blooming. DH had the doors and windows open recently when we had that warmer weather for a while. One day when I was on the computer, my vision got so blurry, I got worried, but then remembered that that happens with my allergies, and it went away in an hour or so. I am always concerned that that would happen when I'm driving. I don't drive much any more, though. I remember I met DH in April. He later told me he was amazed at how much I sneezed. LOL As time went on he realized I had spring allergies.

DH has a very bad cold. I sure hope I don't catch it, but we do sleep in very close proximity. LOL It almost seems inevitable. He get better in a few days, but with me, it lingers.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-02-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #167  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue: I am applying for jobs that will get me back to normal lifestyle, and not working crazy hours. I am finding it increasingly hard to keep doing good things for myself with my job. I love what I do, but being up all night, not getting enough sleep, not having energy to exercise or eat right is affecting me more and more. I don't want my job to kill me. I am too young (and can't afford) to retire.
Only 55. So am looking for something a bit different for a few years to get me towards retirement.
There are not a lot of opportunities out there, hence my disappointment.
But maybe I'm meant to find something else closer to home.
I should apply to a Master's program I guess.
In any case, the act of applying was good for me, even if the rejection hurt.

I did ok yesterday, but over ate a bit, and most of my veggies were starchy. Today I will stick more carefully to plan again.
The cheesecake turned out ok, and I was glad to have it, when others were all having nice desserts and I would have been without.
This weekend I am taking part in a workshop, with many potluck meals SO I am planning carefully and will take a few things of my own so I will stick to plan. The grounds will be good for walking between times, so I will get outside a bit.
No buds on anything here, well below freezing, and some snow back on the ground.
Have a good day everyone
Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #168  

Mad, I understand wanting to find a different job with better hours. You have a lot of experience, and will probably find something in time. I hope it's soon, for your sake.

I think the lilacs are the first things to bloom in our area. It's the leaves that are budding, not the flowers. Our daffodils are up, but no flowers yet. The warm spell force them up, and now they are covered with the snow we had overnight and all morning. Just an inch or so.

Not much to report for me.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. Busy day today. My niece who lives close by called last night and my little great nephew told her he wants to go see Aunt Pat. All my nephews and nieces call me Aunt Pat because it was easier for them to say. LOL So they are coming over this evening as I just couldn't say no to him.

I've been to the beauty shop and went out for lunch with DD and DS after. Now I've come home to get DH so we can go eat when he is ready and then do some shopping. CHF Clinic called me while I was on the We putting the medication back that they took him off, but he will take half a pill MWF. I cut one and gave him half before we left to go eat and put the other half in Mondays. I will set up the weekly meds either sometime this weekend or Monday before we go see the cardiologist.

He told my sister and me today that when he becomes a burden for us that we could put him wherever we want to put him and he will go willingly. We assured him that he is no burden. It bothers him that we feel we have to call everyday to check on him and have to come take care of him. We assured him that we would do that even if he was in a home. We asked if he is satisfied where he is and he said yes. So we told him that as long as he is happy that we are happy too.

Mad I will be praying for you to get a really good job you can be happy with close by with good hours. You will be a great addition wherever you go. Good nurses are hard to find that are as dedicated as you are.

Carol Sue Thanks for sending me the website. I did join, but not sure I will post there.

I went back to MFP to log what I eat. I decided to add some carby foods to my meals yesterday and not only did I feel better, but I didn't have the lightheadedness. It didn't stop me from losing .4 lbs from yesterday however, I'm not sure what the FBS would have been at my regular eating time as I had to check it way earlier this morning because I leave so early to go to the beauty shop. Reading this morning was 125 which was good since I took it 2 hrs earlier than usual. If I could have checked it before I ate lunch I suspect it would have been closer to the regular 112 to 115.

Well, I better get going. This was supposed to be a flyby. LOL

Have a great Friday. I will probably check in here tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #170  
Madeleine

don't worry if I don't get to check in for a few days. we are doing a weekend workshop. I will likely get to be home enough to check in , but if not, no worries. I have been tested a bit, being more social, with my eating and food choices. Tonight at the potluck, I did take a couple of slightly more "carby" things, but I also only had one plate of food. The temptation to keep eating and fill myself up more was strong, but I resisted, and them we started the workshop exercises and I relaxed, and didn't think about food for a bit.
The swerve works very well, and I can't taste any difference.
Next test is for the effect of blood sugar. Wikipedia has a good explanation about why it doesn't affect sugars or digestion. I would say I will have to be careful, as it is quite sweet. And also, I agree Carol, its better to avoid the baked goods altogether. However both these recipes are naturally low carb except for the sweetener, and i have been wanting an alternative to splenda and stevia.
But after avoiding sweets so much having first cheesecake then hazelnut torte cake is a bit much and I will have to stop.
I envy you being far enough south that it will make a big difference in when spring comes and plants bloom. I too have some allergy problems with that, but I do love the greening of the world in spring.
Trish, sounds like you have some lovely family that appreciates you. What could be nicer than a youngster who loves you and wants a visit. Enjoy.
ttfn
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #171  

Hi everyone. DH is feeling a lot better today but the cold still lingers. The major worry seems to be over, as it really had him down. I worry because of his age. They say the colds/flu can be fatal for the elderly. I think 74 fringes on "elderly" but as I age, the number goes a little higher. LOL

Yesterday turned out to be a carby day for me all day, and as a result, my bs was high this morning. This proves to me that only eating carbs once a day was really effective for me.... the second meal effect. Too bad I didn't just believe it instead of putting it to the test myself. LOL

Trish, I'm starting to believe that low carb does not really work for you. You always seem to do better adding a little carb, and that's what we have to do...what works for us individually. I always heard that FBG is to be taken as soon as you get up, but that might assume eating breakfast at that time. I don't really know. I always check mine as soon as I get up, and rarely check it again later when I eat my first meal.

Mad, check in when you can. I don't have much of a schedule being retired with no real obligations, so I feel like I'm here all the time! You did well with the potluck.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #172  

Fatmad Enjoy the workshop and check in whenever you can.

Carol Sue I agree. I think I did well with moderately low carb rather than low low carb. I am going to go that route for a while and continue to track my food on MFP for the calories etc. There are just some foods that I think that I need in my eating plan. The dietician and diabetic educator said I was on the right track with the way I was eating so I'm going to trust it as I follow the IE way of eating with my own tweaked CAD plan.

I saw the avocado egg combo on the diabetic site. I've seen it several times on FB. I bought some avocados yesterday so I cut one in half, mashed a fried egg in it with a pinch of mozzarella shredded cheese and Canadian bacon I chopped into it and it was really delicious. I also had half a banana and my diet cappacino which I make up by taking a cup of coffee, half & half and 1 pkt Splenda and blend together for the foam effect. I save a lot of calories with the cup of coffee and get the same texture.

We decided to try different kinds of fish since I've heard bad things about how tilapia is raised and we decided not to eat it any more. We having rainbow trout today. This will be my RM/Carby meal with salad, veggie and starches. I will have a pork chop and zucchini for supper and finish with SF jello. I hope to make the jello as a signal that the kitchen is closed.

I once did a 3 day diet with my DS and some ladies she worked with. A serving of vanilla ice cream became my signal that there would be no more food for the day. I hope that I can make the SF jello do the same thing for me. Hopefully I will be able to keep my calories around 1200 to 1300 calories each day.

Yesterday when my DS and I took our DD out for lunch, Daddy said to us, "I want to talk to y'all about something". He proceeded to tell us that if he ever became too much of a burden on us that we could put him in a nursing home. He said he would go willing without giving us any problem wherever we decide to put him. We were shocked. We quizzed him to see if he was unhappy with the situation as it is. He said he likes living alone and has no problem taking care of himself, but he knows we think we have to come over and we call him 2 times a day etc. He hates us having to go shopping for him etc. We both assured him it was no problem for us. We are glad to be able to do it. She talked to him about it when she took him home and I talked to him this morning assuring him that he is no problem for the 2 of us. We are just so thankful to still have him. Besides like I told him today. He will probably get permission Monday from the doctor to drive again so he can do some of that for himself again, but until he can we are fine doing it for him. He told me that the day may come when we have to make that decision and he wanted us to know that he will be fine with it.

Actually, he was feeling pretty low energy yesterday. However, once they put half the dose of the pill they had removed and good nights sleep, he was feeling so much better today. I really think once he gets that in his system again, he will have no problem. It has the potassium in it. I think he is like me in the fact that I have to have the little bit of potassium I get in the banana each day to give me the energy that I need.

Carol Sue I always thought that FBG was before you eat breakfast. That is why I check it that way. My FBG the last 2 days were the same 123. I need to get back to my exercising and that would help bring it back down below that. It definitely takes diet and exercise for me to keep it below 120s.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #173  

Trish, I do understand and agree with you that FBG is before you eat breakfast, at whatever time that is, but I have heard that it should be as soon as you get up in the morning. I never heard why. I googled, and most of what I saw just said "after an 8 hour fast." Maybe the thinking is that overnight you are sleeping, but if you wait several hours after you get up your movement would also affect the number. This is one thing I saw.

To prepare, you must not eat for at least eight hours before the test. The next morning, a healthcare provider takes a single sample of your blood and sends it to a lab for analysis. Fasting blood glucose tests done in the morning, rather than the afternoon, appear to be more accurate in diagnosing diabetes. So be sure to schedule your test for first thing in the morning.

Since they are saying this is for a diagnosis, and you have already been diagnosed, I don't think it really matters. I check as soon as I get up, but that's because if I don't, I will forget and eat something. Also, I want my number before I have anything, including my coffee.

I have burned out on avacado. I used to fry up a slice and then cook an egg in the hole and I liked that for a change. I don't know why I don't care for them anymore. My tastes have been changing for a lot of things. I hope that's not a bad sign. I still have my appetite, just not for the same things.

That's nice of your Dad to want to assure you that he would not be upset if you felt he should move to personal care, etc. I know you are happy to help him and have reassured him of that. It's somewhat sad to think about that. I would feel the same as he does. I would not want to be a burden, but it sounds like you and your DS are happy to be with him and helping him, so he is not a burden. He is lucky to be so healthy at his age. I would be careful about his driving, though. You don't want him to be hurt or hurt someone else. Be sure he's absolutely capable.

I remember the 3 day diet with the vanilla ice cream. LOL I also remember one with hot dogs and green beans. What we do to lose weight!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #174  
Madeleine

hey friends, I'm back. Up 2 pounds after a carby weekend, over-eating etc.
We also went to friends' place for supper last night. Felt very over fed afterward, but they gave us a handmade quilt!
Such a lovely gift. This is a male gay couple, and one of them quilts for a hobby. He has made 11 quilts over the years, and since they have no children or nieces or nephews, not many recipients. We have hosted them at our cottage for many years, so this was a return gift. Its a log cabin design in light and dark denims, so traditional meeting more modern in its design. I was overwhelmed by their thoughtful generosity. we felt quite blessed.
However, I had a beer with supper, and again had insomnia. I knew wine was affecting my sleep, hence having the beer, but after this will go for alcohol free. Fortunately, being on holidays right now, its not such a big deal, but I'm feeling the effects for sure today.

Tomorrow we leave for Ottawa. I think I will have internet there after Wednesday, but will be in and out a bit. Staying with friends on Tuesday night, so will not be in touch.

After the excesses of the weekend, I am going to "fat fast" today. really going to go light on the food in general and the carbs in particular. enough is enough.

I hope you are both following your gut with eating (LOL) and sticking to the way that works. I am as carb addicted as ever I found this weekend, but glad to be home and away from all the temptations.

ttfn
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #175  

Enjoy your trip, Mad!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #176  

A quick flyby to say I'm still here just having an excessively busy week. Going to meet DD and DS for breakfast. I will be back to read latest message and post.

Have a really great day.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #177  

Well, I just typed a whole long message and hit a button and lost it. Met DD and DS at Whataburger this morning. He has a doctor's appointment with his primary doctor in the morning, but my sister is taking him. Since it doesn't involve any of the meds I give him, I'm not going. At least I don't plan to at this point. I live a little far and I have to go back on the weekend to do his meds and I told her I would stay home and save my gasoline. He doesn't think any of us need to go with him, but sometimes his bp is a little low in the morning and his appointment is early so she thinks she should drive him.

We saw his cardiologist Monday and he says he is doing great. He has permission to drive since he has almost perfect eyesight and hearing and a very sharp mind. Doc said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with DD mind. So for the most part we are almost back to normal. He will see the cardiologist again in October and between now and that time he will be seeing the cardiology nurses at the CHF clinic every month for 2 months then go to 3 months to slowly bring him off some of his meds. Then we will see where we are in October.

I have blood work Friday and we see our primary doctor on the 17th. I think the only really good thing that will come of my doctor's visit is my bs is better and I am happy to say that I'm having no more problems with the Trulicity so I will continue to take it as I am very happy with the results of it.

My baby sister and I are talking again. She has apologized sharing with me all that went on with her kids when she came here. And I understand perfectly well. I am glad she explained and we are doing so well. She has been on a lowfat diet that her doctor put her on last summer and she said the last time she went to the doctor she had lost 5 more lbs. She told the nurse that she hoped the doctor wasn't going to be mad at her because she didn't lose that 5 lbs on purpose. She is use to the diet and has just kept eating the way she was. The doctor had told her 5 lbs ago to stop losing weight. When she told the doctor this 5 lb loss just happened that she wasn't dieting any more, they told her to start eating more fat. Boy would I love to lose enough that the doctor would tell me it was time to stop losing.

She told me that they eat their fruit and veggies during the day and then they eat one really good meal in the evening. I was sharing with her how I am trying to learn to eat only when I'm hungry and not eat when I'm not and eat only as much as I need. She said that she likes to wait until she is really hungry before she eats because if she is really hungry when she sits down to eat that the food tastes better and she enjoys it better than she does if she eats when not hungry. Since I lean toward eating intuitively, it has really give me something to think about.

I guess I have been gone more than I thought. I thought I had posted after fatmad mentioned her trip. You have a good trip. As for any weight you seem to gain while on the trip will come off very quickly when you get back because it will mostly be fluid weight not weight weight.

Carol Sue Glad you DH is feeling better.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #178  

Trish, I am glad you decided to continue the Trulicity. From what you have said, it sounds like it's working great for you and the problems you were having were probably for a different reason. That's good!

I agree that food tastes so much better when you are really hungry. But I personally have a very bad habit if eating when I'm not hungry, and I'm having a hard time breaking it. I really don't know what to do except try every day to wait until I get hungry, and just take one day at a time.

Glad you Dad is doing so well.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #179  
Madeleine

Hey all: just a hello. Am going to be walking a lot, but will not be the best on diet over the next few days. DH in a great mood, but wants to eat out a lot. SO up to me to be careful with diet and serving size. See how I do.
Off to check out parliament this morning, and maybe do some shopping.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #180  

Mad, I tend to do much better in restaurants than I do at home, as I can choose something different from what DH is ordering. At home, I tend to cook what he likes and work around it, not always easy.

I had a horrible day yesterday and the blood sugar reading to prove it. Back to business today.
Closed Thread