Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Felt like touching base this afternoon just to say to Bonnie...Rock on sister! I'm feeling your words today.

Madeline, thank you for the reality check. All day I've felt pretty wonky from the Janument, but my numbers have been very good all day. The only high was just an hour after I ate a mini Larabar for a snack (I guess they're off my list now) and that was only up to 130. I even was down in the 90s before lunch!

So the meds are doing what they're supposed to be doing, but really, I felt better before I had to take anything. Just need to ride this out for another 11 days to see if these side effects will go away. I am too dizzy and foggy to exercise and I really miss my Pilates class. I haven't been able to walk my dog either.

I feel so cold today too! Can't warm up at all, not even in the shower.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick one tonight. The kids are on spring break so DH and I took the kids out to Golden Corral and then to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte. Had fun but we were all wiped out when we got home. Youngest DGD went to bed right after dinner.

I did pretty good eating. I had a salad and then ate mostly veggies since I need to get this swelling down. Drinking loads of water since I got home. I was going to drop the WW online membership, but decided that even doing IF that I need to keep track of my eating. So stayed with it.

I'll read and catchup on indies tomorrow.

Good night.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #18  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

morning....
nothing on the "to do" list today. will finish laundry. zumba tonight. the gym has new classes on is called gut and butt and kickboxing. will be taking both. have to rearrange the WW meeting to get the gut and butt. will do the kickboxing one for sure. i could take classes all day, do some sort of exercise. i love the high i get. but, i know it's not good either. will find my happy medium some day.
off to get by breakfast
have a good day.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #19  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I could swear I posted yesterday but maybe it was an hallucination!

I went to the gym as scheduled yesterday and then to my quilting group. I usually fade outta there by noon but got caught yesterday for the "lunch". Everyone brings their own and one person brings the decadent dessert. I did share Dianne's hummus and veggies but refused the chocolate cream pie even though I was assured it was "light". Yeah, right!

Thanks for the reminder, Mad but Lent really isn't over yet, is it? Seems to me it ends Good Friday but I could be wrong. (Been wrong before - married twice!)

On our news (CTV) last night there was a blurb about health changes you can make to get a longer life. I'll try to track down the questionnaire. One thing they did say was that citrus fruit helps prevent strokes caused by blood clots in women. I'm off to eat a grapefruit right now - the last of my Florida fruit.

Have a healthy Tuesday and hang tough.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #20  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Just a quick hello, fbs was 4.7 this am. Stuck to daily points yesterday, and weight is still below 170!
Ruth, I think Lent ends on Palm Sunday, which was just the other day. I could be wrong too, but thats my memory of it.
I am loving reading everyone's posts, its great to hear from everyone. And Bonnie, I echo Georgia, you can get up again! Thats the difference between successful weightloss and not so successful, is that we forgive ourselves for our transgressions and get going on track again. GOod luck friends
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #21  
Come on Spring!

Just checked and Lent ends Thursday, April 5 or Maundy Thursday which was the night of the Last Supper. I guess I have to stick to my guns for another two days and keep out of annoying situations. I had planned to give up procrastination but never got around to doing that.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone!

fbs at 71 this morning. I slept poorly - tossing and turning since about 3am. Oh well. It will help me to sleep tonight. I have back-to-back meetings today and then I will come home to pack and prepare for a 0500 departure for Grand Forks. I probably already told you that my DIL is getting her masters in fine arts. Thursday is her art show and reception. I am traveling (11 hours) oh my, with my parents. My mom has already been driving me crazy with preparations I reminded myself how lucky I am that they are still around and able to be a pain in the tushy!

Mad, like you, I am sure enjoying the activity on this thread. I thought my 91 fbs was odd because it was so high compared to my usual and I couldn't think of anything that would have moved it up You are clearly under 170 now!

Ruth, tee he on procrastination. I am always amazed at what people try to pass up as "light" fare or "diabetes friendly". Of course, I can't really blame them when I look at so-called "light" recipes or diabetes cookbook main dishes with 45 carbs. Wow.

Chipper, wow, good job on the exercise. The gut and butt and kickboxing class sounds amazing!

Trish, good job at the buffet. All that bad, goey, starchy stuff does me in.

Georgia. Your numbers are looking good. Hang in there. I hope you aren't offended by the following questions. It has come up many times and I think it is worthy of conversation..... It applies to me, also

Why do we all want to "get off our meds" or control diabetes with only diet and exercise" I mean, I don't really like taking my meds everyday.... it is sometimes expensive and always a pain. I am just curious because I don't think most people with a chronic illness are always striving to "get off meds". When people ask me about my diabetes, they always want to know if I "control it with diet or do I have to take pills or shots?" What does that question mean? Certainly, we can all make our condition worse but most of us will not become non-diabetic if we are "really, really good" forever. It feels like a judgement - by us and on us.

Like Mad, I have come to accept that this is a long term battle and my goal is to avoid the consequences of blood sugar issues. I believe that I will be taking some medication to protect my tissues even if I can reach my goal weight. Arthritis is rampant in my family, as well as diabetes. I never hear anyone talk about "getting off their arthritis meds". Again, I don't mean to be offensive here - I am talking to myself and wondering if this resonates with anyone else.

Off to face the day. Have a good and healthy day.

Rie

Last edited by Riemontana; 04-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #23  
1 Goal 240 2nd Goal 195

S/C/G: 334.6/262.6/240

Height: 5'9"

hey everyone, spring break here and dh just got home from a week long business trip so ive been gone busy and gone some more! lol Had some carb love on saturday and sunday (i seriously couldnt stop eating i was so SO hungry lol) 159 carbs one day and 150 the next (YIPES!!) but yesterday and today im back on track, fbs was 133 yesterday morning and 119 today so things are starting to return to normal. no weight loss, but no gain im hoping to see the 259 number before the end of next week!!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #24  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

FBG was 122 this morning.

I totally get what you're saying here, Rie. I accept that I have to eat a certain way because I'm type 2, PCOS and menopausal. I have to avoid certain foods forever because I'm highly sensitive to them. I have to exercise a specific way so that it doesn't impact my blood sugar negatively, doesn't disrupt my sleeping pattern, etc. I take vitamins for all the above. So why am I so averse to taking meds? For me, it's because I don't feel well when I take them.

Just two months ago, I was doing all the above without meds. I wasn't testing my blood sugar at all and I was bumbling along, feeling really good, with the exception of being hungry all the time. So I ate at a caloric and nutritive level that prevented me from seeing any sort of consistent weight loss. That was very frustrating. I have a very hard time cutting calories down to below 1400, but that's what it took for me to lose weight. I had a hard time getting carbs below 50 gm/day. I felt ravenous when I ate less than 80 gm of protein a day. And yet, other than feeling so hungry, I felt fine.

Now I'm on Janumet. I spent the last two days experiencing chills all day. I have been woozy and foggy for three days. I feel very unstable on my feet. I can't exercise right now, and I really miss my Pilates class! I can't walk my dog. I can't get work done as quickly and I'm really behind on my tasks. But, my blood sugar numbers are looking better and better, almost normal. And I'm not hungry all day (because I'm kinda queasy), and the weight I was struggling to lose is finally coming off without having to drop carbs below 50 gm and protein below 80 gm and calories below 1400.

If I could lose weight at a steady rate until I reach goal, I think I could give up a year of clarity for that. I really believe that at some point, I will be able to manage the blood sugar without meds. I wasn't seeing blood sugar levels over 200 before, so at a healthy weight with regular exercise and reasonable carb/protein management, I will be able to control it. Someday, when I'm much older, I'll probably have to go back on medication. But if I can avoid the side effects I'm experiencing now, well, that's something I'm willing to work hard for.

I once had a talk with a pharmacist who was my neighbor when I first was diagnosed with type 2. She told me to stay off medication as long as possible because the side effects do make an impact on quality of life. That's what I've been basing my aversion to pills on. I worked really hard to get my A1c down initially and did a lot to stay on track for six years. I was really shocked at my most recent period of bg testing. The wild numbers and the really high morning readings and how sensitive I seemed to be when I ate anything or exercised at the wrong times. I'm upset that I have to be on meds. It feels like I'm losing a battle of control.

I know.... I want to be in control of how I feel! Of how healthy I am! I don't do anything that contributes to my ill health. I initially gained weight because I had to take meds for respiratory issues, then depression, and that set off a chain of events that pulled the trigger on my genetic predispositions and led me to my current state of health. I'm really angry about that, and I've been scared of taking meds for anything ever since.

I'm fixed on my goal to lose weight and get back to a state of health I can maintain drug-free. If I had serious issues that required a lifetime of being on medications, then I'd work through the control issues and I'd learn to accept the situation and take back my life. It might be what I need to do now, but I'm opting to float on denial/hope for a bit longer, until I hear otherwise.

Today, this morning, I feel woozy, but I got life to live, kids to feed, dog to walk to the doggie spa, work to get done. I'm going to my private training session in an hour to see what I can do for exercise now. I'm going to be in a fog the entire day. I might trip over the dog on the way to the spa appointment. I'm hope to have a good day despite my challenges. I usually do. Hope you all do too!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #25  
Madeleine

Georgia: it is too bad to have been turned off the med by a pharmacist. Yes there can be side effects. FOr metformin at least, they are usually temporary and dose related. I hope the Janumet will be similar for you and that you will be able to get stable sugars that way.
Reading the Janumet literature, it would seem this is not a common or normal side effect. Have you checked with your doctor? Please call right away and let your caregivers check it out!

I think you are doing amazing, and it IS really hard when you are woozy etc. So keep up the good work. It IS worth it.

Last edited by fatmad; 04-03-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: new info
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #26  
Come on Spring!

Fly-by post with a warning. Do NOT eat a package of No Sugar Added Easter candies that are sweetened with Malitol. I may have to take a porta-potty to the gym this morning.

Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #27  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Fly-by post with a warning. Do NOT eat a package of No Sugar Added Easter candies that are sweetened with Malitol. I may have to take a porta-potty to the gym this morning.

Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.
Ruth, maybe thats what I NEED to do. Took restoralax last night, (same as miralax) and no effect this morning. I always have this problem as I approach weigh-in day, no matter how much fibre I am eating. Getting frustrating. So maybe maltilol is the answer.

fbs 4.8 this am. weight at 170. Have a work dinner the next two nights as we wine and dine potential new midwives and their life partners. Being rural, its hard to attract applicants sometimes, so we are going to work it.

DD goes back to residence for a couple of days for exams. Has been nice having her here, and she is doing better at being a good roommate. SHe picked up after herself and cooked a bit for the family. Made me think of Trish, and how maddening it can be to be having to take care of adults who still think that they don't need to do these things. I told her right out how I appreciated that she was doing these things and that it made it a joy to have her here. (no mincing words, I want her to know how important it is!)

ksails welcome back, and hope the carb cravings don't do you in!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #28  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

morning....

C25K day 2 week 5
Just completed a 2.14 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:32:58 | Calories Burned 220
Average Pace 15:24 / mi | Average Speed 3.89 mph | Elevation Climb 85 ft

i am getting too high on exercise lately. i find myself wanting that high all the time. but, too much (like food, alcohol, cigarettes) can hurt you. so i have to find a happy medium...it'a always something to figure out.

off to shower and get the day going. WW weigh in tonight.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #29  
1 Goal 240 2nd Goal 195

S/C/G: 334.6/262.6/240

Height: 5'9"

im good with the carb cravings, lol i was having chocolate isues, and i ate it ALLLL so, yk im good now that its out of the darn house. Kids will have milk chocolate from easter, but i dont like milk chocolate, only like dark so as long as the dark choc stays gone, im good LOL.

Georgia i hope you feel better! it takes me about a month to adjust to new meds, and im tired and cranky and nauseated the whole darn time!! lol

Ruth HAAHAAHAAA.. I always tell the kids clench and do not let anything escape and RUN for the bathroom. hehe

Fasting bs was 109 this morning, went to gym at 5:30am and did the treadmill n everything (batwings ect.. lol)
My weight has been going up and down and up and down but im hoping for a few pound loss by the weekend!!

Last edited by ksails; 04-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.
I quit buying that stuff long time and swore to never buy it ever again for the same reason. I pass it in the store and I don't even think about buying it any more. One of the things that doesn't tempt me.
Closed Thread