Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #76  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

FBG was 112 this morning. Loving these numbers!

Bonnie, I had a long talk with a good friend yesterday about the state of my relationship with both my teenage sons. She gave me some good advice. Whatever the kids say, don't take it personally. It's hard to accept that all the angry words coming out of their mouths isn't personal, but they really are too young to come to grips with accepting their own responsibility in what they do. Heck, even the X-husband had problems with that and he said some really hateful things to me which were really not about me at all. I hope the venting helped you. I sure find benefit from it and appreciate when I can go somewhere, like here, to get some support without so much judgement.

I'm still struggling with losing weight. I had great blood sugar numbers for the last three days. I even got to wisely eat some whole grains yesterday and they didn't do evil things to my readings. But I just can't cut back on portions. Tomorrow is my follow-up with the doctor. I'll let you know what transpires.

Have a lovely day, everyone!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #77  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks Trish , Rie , geoblewis I know this is trying times here and Thanks to everyone for letting me vent.

Trish I know what you are saying I have told my Daughter that she is 17 and if something happens and she is arrested she will stay their I wont help her I have already gotten herself out of two situations one was jest community service and the other we had to pay to get her out she is on her won. I have told my son the same thing he has gotten into trouble and went to jail for two month cause I couldnt afford to post bail. They have to grow up sometimes.

Rie She knows but she don't care I tell her all the time that I am not responsible and even her therapist told her but she don't care it is much easier for her to blame me then to say its her fault.

Geoblewis I know what you are saying too. But the things they say hurt so much when they say them it is hard to forget that they said it .

Looks like the trip maybe cancelled cause they wont give the baby her meds like they should and she isn't feeling well still and we were to leave on Monday. I have been told several times by the aunt we probley wont be going so will have to wait and see.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #78  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Hello. Its been forever.

I've got to get back onto this entire board. I took a break because I felt I was spending too much time on the web. Well, to anti-heaven with that notion. I need you people.

I haven't lost any weight. I'm keeping my calories low and seldom hit the 145 gm of carbs for a day. In fact, if I look at my FitDay avg for the month, I'm normally under 100. It isn't a challenge. I just don't want anymore than I'm eating. With my A Fib, I can't exercise. I hate walking. My feet hurt because of the plantar F. Enough witching with a "b".

I changed meters. I like the pokey thing from the One Touch and will probably go back to that when I finish the lancets with this Freestyle meter. I haven't gotten any errors with the Freestyle. It takes a mere pin head size amt of blood. I had the One Touch set on artery severing to get enough blood for that monster meter. I hated it. Besides, the test strips were $75 for 100 strips! That's after insurance. This new one is $15. What a racket!

My FBS this AM was 112. That is a bit high but not like it was just 1 1/2 months ago.

Have any of you found that eating leafy greens really helps stop spikes?

Last edited by cbmare; 04-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Mare - Welcome back. It does help to have support to do what we know we must do. I guess it helps to see what others are doing and how it is working for them.

Rie - Glad to have you back. I've been missing you.

Bonnie - I forgot to tell you that although our kids put us through a lot, I think it is because they are dealing with a lot too. As for the oldest son I don't hear from any more, he used to call me all the time before he married this last girl. The last time I heard from him it was Mother's day about 7 or 8 years ago and she caught him sneaking. He had sneaked out to call me. I told him that he needed to try to save his marriage and if that meant he couldn't call me that I understand. Told him that I know he loves me and always will and I love him too. This is his 3rd marriage and he is working at getting his kids back into a relationship with him. I know he would call if he could.

Georgia Hi
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #80  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Bonnie: a couple of years ago I almost rented an apartment to move my daughter into, it was so bad between us. It took a lot of work from both of us to improve things. Now that she is at university it is really good. But she is not moving home for the summer. The space is really a good thing.
I hope and pray things will get better for you and your daughter. I agree with our friends here that self care will help, so even if you can't go on your trip, treat yourself to something. It doesn't have to be expensive. But packing a lunch and going away for a day, eating in a park etc and just getting away from family stress might be a good way to do it. If you have an old friend or even DH to do that with might be good too.

THe mediation I had with my co-worker is having good effects. We all worked through a hiring procedure this week and came to good consensus on our first choice. And after our weekly group meeting she and I had a good private session going over some concerns and it was fine and felt good. So we are on a better footing at least, and that is good for everyone. But when it was stressful, it was bad.

Everyone thinks I am looking better, and although the weight is dropping and I am more fit than I have been in years, I also think the stress reduction is helping. I still can't go off the allergy meds, if I miss a dose the hives are back, but at least i FEEL better.

So my only advice is for folks to keep doing the work, mentally, physically and emotionally to take good care of themselves, since the diet is only part of it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #81  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
FBG was 112 this morning. Loving these numbers!

I'm still struggling with losing weight. I had great blood sugar numbers for the last three days. I even got to wisely eat some whole grains yesterday and they didn't do evil things to my readings. But I just can't cut back on portions. Tomorrow is my follow-up with the doctor. I'll let you know what transpires.

Have a lovely day, everyone!
Georgia: I wonder if a switch to atkins for a while would help. You have lost a lot already, and it might help kick start you again, and it is very good for blood sugars too. You don't have to worry about portions, but the hard part is getting used to increasing the fat in your diet, since it doesn't work with low fat! (and yes, it is hard to get used to it!)
Even though I have switched to ww for now, it really helped me to get my sugars into good control, and I do ww much differently now, with very reduced carbs
just my 2 cents worth!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #82  
Renaissance Woman

Madeleine, I appreciate your two cents. I've done Atkins before and it really did help me to lose weight, as long as I stuck to induction levels of carbs. Today I ate a net of 53 carbs. I'm trying to get consistently closer to the Atkins induction level and I start the day off pretty well, but then closer to the afternoon, my appetite gets the better of me.

I eat a lot of vegetables, but I do indulge in a serving of very high fiber bread or tortilla. I find it actually helps my digestion more. I make a big effort to keep net carbs below 60 gm. Sometimes I get down to 25 gm, but that means I eat too much protein. The added protein always makes my bg rise too high. So does extra fat. I can't seem to get the right balance that's creates the magic bg levels.

Well, except that tonight, I ate a dinner of 735 calories. And afterward, at one, two and three hours, my bg level hovered around 105. I really think the small glass of wine is doing that. I think for snack I'm going to have celery and French goat cheese.

Mare, I recall seeing you on the boards. Welcome back! You asked about a positive effect of eating greens on bg spikes. I don't have an answer, but I eat greens every day. I LOVE them! Just had chard with my lamb chops for dinner and am really wishing I cooked more!

Over the last couple months my fbg has gone from a high in the 180s to a steady level in the mid 110s. I am really happy with that! But not going to settle for it. My next goal is to get it consistently under 100. I know it's only going to happen with a bigger cut in carbs and evening meal portions. Second to that, I want to lose 15 lbs in the next 7 weeks before my summer trip. Theoretically it's possible, but I've not lost weight at that rate since I first started on this weight loss trek five years ago. It means I have to cut calories more as well as keep a lid on the carbs. I have to be focused to achieve that. You may be hearing from me a lot as I'm trying to work through my cravings and weak moments!

Last edited by geoblewis; 04-12-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello friends

fbs at 75 today. I woke very early with upper left abdominal pain and it is still pretty bad. If it doesn't abate soon, I will go in...

I have been interested in the discussions about carb levels. As I lost weight and my bs came under control, I was able to increase high fiber carbs. I currently eat about 100 carbs per day. My weight loss has stalled, so maybe I need to re-evaluate that.

Mare, welcome back. I am a strong believer in this forum for support and guidance. It keeps me on track. Glad to hear that your bs control is good.

Mad, I am so happy to hear about your mediation results. That is wonderful. Work is stressful enough without added pressures.

Bonnie, hows it going? I was thinking about you this morning as I scanned the posts. You may know, that I work with delinquent and troubled kids. I always tell parents this: "you have no idea how bad I was! I am always surprised that my parents still like me!" That is the truth. Hang in there.

Ruth, how's it going at the gym? I hope you are doing well.

Trish, I totally agree with you that sometimes kids are going through stuff that is really hard. It doesn't excuse the hurt they put on others, but it isn't necessarily out of mean spiritedness.

Ok, just not feeling well. Gotta go rest.

Rie
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #84  
Renaissance Woman

So, yesterday was a lower carb day for me, I didn't eat a lot of carbs at dinner, but my protein was kinda high. I quit eating by 7, went to bed by 10:30. Took my Janumet at bedtime and my bg was 106.

This morning, fbg was 127! I ate just two eggs scrambled in a very scant amount of fat, calories 155, no carbs. Two hours after breakfast bg was 136.

Oh, and I gained three pounds since yesterday. And had gained two the day before.

I really am confused. I just want to go EAT without stress or having to overthink things!!!!

I'm seeing my doctor today. I really felt just fine before taking meds and was controlling my diet, plus exercising. When I'm eating and medicating to control blood sugar, I don't seem to be doing very well at all.

I wish there was someplace I could go to get my body all figured out.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #85  
I wanna be a loser, too

GM E1. I must have had sweet dreams last night. My reading was 98 2 hrs after dinner and 112 this AM. Don't know what I did over night to run it up. Oh well.

I took my reading before dinner and it was 68. I knew I was tired but I attributed that to the boring work I did yesterday afternoon. I decided to have a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. We have some very nice cheese. There were just a few small chunks of it left from my last trip to Whole Foods. Yes, I went there. They have a great cheese section and will let me taste them before buying and I can get small quantities. Anyway, I grated them all together. I took 2 oz and sprinkled it over some bread that I'd pan toasted in Smart Balance. That and a salad with Light Champagne Vinaigrette was very tasty and didn't spike me.

Georgia, I, too love greens. In fact, I've been loving the farmer's markets around here right now. We are getting some really nice ones coming in now. I think you are on the coast around here, right? You should have some nices ones over there. The artichokes are frost damaged but they still taste good. I'm loving those as well. I've found that my numbers are higher if I don't have greens. I proved that by having the same dinner 2 nights in a row and my numbers before dinner were within 1 or 2 digits. Afterwards, almost 80 points different without the greens and only about 10 or 15 with them.

Let's see what today brings.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #86  
I wanna be a loser, too

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't want to eat 145 gm of carbs per day. I'm not going back to the classes. Not only do I have to pay $45 per class, there is an additional $5 food charge and I don't like what they prepare. I won't eat most of it.

They were insistent that we follow the new plate thing from the FDA. 1/2 greens, no problem for me, 1/4 protein, again, no problem and 1/4 carbs.

I don't necessarily want the carbs in every meal. I can't believe some people had trouble getting their carb levels down to 145 for women and 165 for men. What are they eating? Oh, nevermind. When we told what we had for lunch, I was chastised for having a shrimp louie and no bread or other carbs. The guy who had a whopper, milkshake and fries was merely told to cut out the milkshake to bring the calorie count down to start his weight loss.

Besides, every class had the same lectures. Eat carbs - we don't have to do without them. I really wanted to learn more about which foods and combinations of foods would make my numbers spike and which ones play nicely together. I guess I'll keep finding out on my own.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #87  
I wanna be a loser, too

Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear about your trip. That is too bad. Are there any other chickies on here that live near you? If so, you might want to get to know them personally. It does help. I have someone from here that has become a good friend. In fact, she is moving to a larger place in a few weeks. She has set aside 1 of the bedrooms to become her sewing room and she is getting back into this addiction otherwise known as quilting. I'll be helping her set it up.

I count on her friendship and it is all because of 3FC.

The only caution I make is to meet in public for the first time or two. You'll know within 2 or 3 lunches if this is a friendship you want to continue.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Didn't feel good when I went to bed. Had bad cough for 2 days. DSIL was off today so I took Nyquil when I went to bed and took it again when I started coughing during the night. I think it set me off because my eating has been really crazy but today, but I did keep them within WWP+. Couldn't seem to get satisfied today when I ate. I was going to take it again tonight, but I'm afraid to as I might lose complete control of my eating. So I guess I will just ride it out.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Trish,

Try theraflu instead of nyquil. It has the same effect but Nyquil sends my bs soaring...

Feel better
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #90  
Renaissance Woman

Just checking before the weekend. Tomorrow is spa day for me. Getting hair, nails and makeup done, just because I want to. No place special to go, except get my new passport pics done.

I went to the doctor today. Here's my results:

Today's blood pressure was 126/69.
HDL - 41, LDL-101 One has to go up 19 points, the other has to come down at least 11 points.
Triglycerides - 83
A1c - 6.08% That one hardly budged at all. Which is good since I was very afraid it had gone up. Four years ago it was at 6.1%
TSH - 2.96 My doctor said that's in the normal range for thyroid function, but I've been reading that 3 was the new upper limit and that probably 2.5 is closer to a normal reading. I have to talk to her a bit more about that one.
My vit D levels were too low. I definitely need to supplement.

There were some things that indicated that my liver and kidneys aren't as healthy as they could be.

We talked about how I'm feeling on my medication. Since being on metformin and janumet, I haven't been able to exercise like I once was and neither of us is happy with that.The wooziness really is debilitating at times. So as of tonight, I'm off those meds and she's just putting me on the januvia, a lower dose of 50 once a day. I really need to keep an eye on how I'm feeling and to insist we take regualr blood tests while I'm on that because it can affect the kidneys adversely.

In the meantime, I'm going totally Atkins induction phase until further notice, and I'm going to eat as many vegetables as I can squeeze into those 20 gm of carbs a day. The greens are what will help my kidneys and liver the most. Lots of water, and vitamins/minerals/fish oils and the like.

I indulged in carbs at dinner. Not wicked bad ones, but a bit more than I usually eat. I'm "testing" sprouted wheat spaghetti with sauce and cheese. Meh...it didn't taste as good as I wanted it to taste. I overate. Three hours after that meal bg was 158.

So, I'm not at death's door, I'm not a full-blown diabetic. But I have type 2 diabetes issues that continue and I have to stay on top of things. I'll be testing a lot this coming week to see how the januvia is working and then I have to call my doctor to report before we decide which direction I should go next.

Hmph, I dreading my morning numbers!
Closed Thread