Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #136  

FBS was 123 this morning. Maybe lowering my carbs will help. I do eat only complex carbs.

Georgia - thanks for the info. My carbs have been a little on the high side, I think, hovering between 25-30%. I hope you feel better soon.

Trish - I'm glad you got out for some "me" time. I need to go get my nails done professionally, too. I can't ever get my cuticles to look as good as they do. I've got one of those little snipper thingies, but I'm afraid to cut too close, lol.

Ruth - try and take some breaks in-between all the busyness.

Two of my granddaughters are staying over tomorrow night, so that will be fun. Other than that, I have no where I have to be. YAY!!

Have a good one.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #137  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

What a relief! I got home and took by reading. As I reported, it was 165 this AM. It was 85 when I got home. I guess my lettuce, spinach and other greens did it for me at lunch. Dang! I just remembered that I left a half artichoke at work! Oh well, snack on Monday.

Safeway had the $5 Friday today. It is a whole roasted chicken. They are actually juicy and taste quite good. That $5 chicken will make 3 meals for the 2 of us. So it is roasted chicken and kale tonight. I may forego the carb tonight and have smashed celeriac tomorrow with veal chops.

I LOVE my greens.

Don't know if I'll make it in over the weekend. I'm going to take another machine embroidery class tomorrow and then get back to reorganizing my craft room. It is due to throw up.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
What a relief! I got home and took by reading. As I reported, it was 165 this AM. It was 85 when I got home. I guess my lettuce, spinach and other greens did it for me at lunch. Dang! I just remembered that I left a half artichoke at work! Oh well, snack on Monday.

Safeway had the $5 Friday today. It is a whole roasted chicken. They are actually juicy and taste quite good. That $5 chicken will make 3 meals for the 2 of us. So it is roasted chicken and kale tonight. I may forego the carb tonight and have smashed celeriac tomorrow with veal chops.

I LOVE my greens.

Don't know if I'll make it in over the weekend. I'm going to take another machine embroidery class tomorrow and then get back to reorganizing my craft room. It is due to throw up.
You are the one who mentioned the greens. I am eating greens since you mentioned it. Do you eat the raw spinach in your salads. I used to do that and I need to start doing that again. Seems I remember my fbs being really good when I ate raw spinach. I love greens too so won't be difficult to add them.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Remembered to check my fbs today and it was 127 which was good since I took it earlier than usual because I was eating earlier also I have not been able to take the Metformin any more because of the leg cramps. So the 127 is done just from diet and being more active. So I am very pleased. I don't know if I told y'all earlier or not but I dropped another lb. Need to lose 3 more before I get back to new territory.

Hey chickies, I drink a lot of green tea and also drink oolong tea. I decided to research the benefits. These 2 teas help lose weight. It said 2 lbs a week. It lowers cholesterol, triglycerides, prevents blood clots and is good for diabetics and so many other things I can't name it all. And green tea hydrates as good as water with benefits we don't get from water. I've decided that since I don't drink sodas any more, I am going to make these 2 teas my new regular daily drinks. I realized today that when I eat the greens and drink the green tea that my fbs is lower. I think eating healthy has to be done with it.

Jane - I don't eat breakfast. I am doing Intermittent Fasting also called Intermittent Feeding. I eat everyday within a 5 hr to 8 hr window and fast the rest of the time. Try to make most days 5 hr eating window. How long the feeding window is depends on what is going on that day. So I check my fbs just before I eat my first meal of the day.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #140  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Good morning chicks! I'm off to plant a vegetable garden this morning, but just here to report fbs of 112.

See ya later!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #141  
I wanna be a loser, too

I had sweet dreams again last night. Don't know why considering I woke up twice and was so scared I couldn't scream. I don't often have those terrifying dreams any longer but last night I had 2! Anyway, FBS was 127. It was 115 after dinner. Go figure.

Trish, yes, I'm the greens-a-holic. I don't care and I'm not going to change. I'm a waterholic, too. Have been all my life. Yes, they were raw spinach leaves in my salad. I love those things. Good luck with that garden. You're on the coast, right? You should have some perfect weather for planting things like kale. I can't on this side because our summer is warm/hot and yours is much cooler if not cold at times.

Well, off to class. We're making photo wallets today. Never done that before.

Last edited by cbmare; 04-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #142  
Renaissance Woman

Since switching to an Atkins-like diet (I'm not completely compliant on induction), I had a lot of cravings for grains, starchy veg, and sugar. But in the last couple days, I increased my non-starchy veg intake and noticed the cravings are almost gone. And today, I've been craving kale all day.

I just made myself a big glass of juiced veggies. Lots of spinach, parsley, cucumber, celery, a lime and ginger. Yesterday I made one of these but with an apple in it. The carbs were too high, but it tasted better. Still, this wasn't bad at all, kinda spicy and refreshing.

I'm at 50 gm net carbs for today. I still have dinner ahead of me. I have lots of available protein, so I'm going to have a bison filet mignon, but I really want some kale! That will add five more net grams of carbs. I can live with that!

Tomorrow is weigh in day! I'm hopeful!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #143  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Well friends, haven't been on much for a bit, coming down with a cold or something, sore throat, headache that won't go away, and and tired and generally feeling crummy. I didn't test today, and ate low carb all day today and yesterday. Not much appetite generally.
also got some difficult news on Thursday. and have been bummed out since.
As some may remember, my previous way of working was to do visits with my clients a couple of full days per week, and new baby and mama visits others days as needed, and was on call for deliveries of my clients all but about 5-6 days per month. Last fall one of my colleagues and I decided to make a change in this, and we started an arrangement that one of us saw clients of both for visits during the week, while the other was on call, and then the next week we switched positions. We decided to try this for a year.
Since then, I have lost 10 pounds, been sleeping better, (my insomnia really hasn't plagued me since the fall when we decided this) my stress levels are down, and life in general has been better. Sugars are stable, and it is much easier to plan my meds.
On Thursday, she told me she won't be continuing the arrangement. She states it is a job satisfaction issue, which I accept and can't change. Privately, I would say she is a bit whiny. We heard no end of the difficulties she had with the previous way of working, and how hard it was on her family. She has complained a bit, but hasn't been good about problem-solving any difficulties we have had. She doesn't always communicate well, and I am a bit worried that those issues are also part of her decision.
However, I am feeling pretty strongly that I can't return to the old way. I am gonna hold her to the whole year of the plan, and for now, will not book clients for January and beyond until I have found a new partner in my care sharing plan. Its not worth the stress. But you may have guessed I am already stressed. I have already been talking to people about other ways of working, doing Locums for other practices etc. and talking to my DH about leaving the practice, at least temporarily.
Fortunately, I had some pampering booked for the weekend. I had a massage yesterday and mani-pedi today. TOmorrow I am going to a yoga workshop, I hope it is good and hot, (its at the hot yoga studio) so sweat out this virus. I had a hot tub tonight to try to sweat the cold away.
So if I am a little off my game for a few days, I know you will all understand.
Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All,

Sorry that I have been MIA for a couple days. I had internet problems and I have been playing in the state pool tourney the last couple of days. I didn't make the finals but I had a good time.

Mad, it sounds like you need to consider other possibilities for your practice, if possible. Your health is important!

Georgia, it sounds like you are doing well hitting the lean protein and limits on carbs. Good for you!

Mare, LOL the greens girl! I like them too. I don't think they limit my bs but they fill me up without a lot of carbs.

Hi Trish! You are doing great!

Jane, I don't look at a percentage. I just count carbs and limit calories. I try to limit carbs to no more than 20 per meal, and no more than 20 carbs for extras like snacks. (I hardly ever eat snacks) I use livestrong to calculate my calories. I also try to get about 20gms of fiber every day.

Ruth, I hope that your busy weekend passes with you as easily as possible.

Sorry for missing anyone, I am really tired. Later!

Rie
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #145  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Thanks for the hugs Rie. Feeling better today, not so tired, and sore throat is better, but I have lots of stomach cramps, woke with them in the night, as if there is a lot of gas in the bowel, or I had taken a harsh laxative, which I haven't. Back to regular ww today, off the atkins, and just a ww lower carb lifestyle. Just planning a quiet few days coming up, and regular exercise. I have a yoga workshop this afternoon, and will take the dog for a walk this morning too.
I am liking the discussion of greens, I have always been a greens person. DH grew up not having much in the way of veggies, (potatoes, corn, peas + carrots, in summer just sliced tomato and cucumber) and over the years has done well to learn to eat a good variety of veggies. He still doesn't like cauliflower and brussels sprouts, but otherwise eats everything now. And is willing to try new stuff.
Georgia, where does the bison come from? The only time I see those kind of meats here is in specialty restaurants or occasionally at native gatherings. I like it, but never see it to buy.
Anyway chickies, ttfn, have a lovely Sunday
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #146  
Renaissance Woman

Mad, I can get ground bison at my supermarket all the time here in Central CA. Safeway always carries it. But Costco does too, along with the steaks at times. They had a brand called Great Plains Bison a few months back and I bought several boxes. But they've never stocked it since and I'm almost out! It is sold online too. I do know of one bison rancher in Northern California who will sell a whole or half bison. I don't have that much freezer space!

Rie, Internet problems...

Well, while on the meds my weight had crept up to 300 lbs, but since quitting them and going Atkins for one week, I'm down 4 lbs. My fbg this morning was 127, highest it's been in a week. But my period started yesterday, for the first time in three months. So that probably added to my manic carb cravings over the last few days, and especially my appetite. This morning I'm ravenous, still, and I already ate a big breakfast. Had to leave the kitchen so I wouldn't keep stuffing my face. Just waiting it out for another hour (already been an hour) to see what my bg will be and then I'm having an Atkins bar and a cup of coffee.

I've been trying smaller meals every two to three hours. I find my bg is much more steady that way. All my daytime 2-hr pp bg have been under 110 since doing this. I still like a bigger meal at dinner, but bg has been better then as well. This week I'm hoping to find better control for my Atkins induction groove.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #147  
I wanna be a loser, too

My FBS was 126 this AM. I was kinda disappointed considering it was 155 after dinner last night. I didn't have greens with dinner other than a salad. I don't consider lettuce greens.

We'll see what today brings. I'm about ready to head out to the Campbell farmer's market and see what kind of green heaven I can get into. Besides, I want some off the farm fresh artichokes & asparagus to take for my snacks this week.

Trish, do you have a vita mix? I can't afford one right now but would love to try and figure out a way to make some greens smoothie type things. Smoothie without the added dairy or carby/calorie ridden stuff people usually add.

I hope everyone will have a good week this week. Feel better, get solutions for work issues, lose those blasted 2 lbs that found me yet again and not get salt cravings. I don't get sugar ones but my taste buds just love salt.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #148  
I wanna be a loser, too

Now a question. Forgive me if I asked before. In my old age, my brain doesn't recall stuff I need but remembers stuff like the names of the pets on The Brady Bunch. WHY? LOL.

What types of numbers do you like for your carb intake? When I started this journey in Dec., my dr and the class people told me to inject 145 gm/day. I don't want that many carbs. I try and keep them around 100 or less. If kale and things like that put me over, I don't care because the fiber and other benefits of the greens are worth it. I wasn't told to follow Atkins. I'm supposed to follow the USDA plate thing of 1/2 plate greens type foods, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs.

I know some of you do the Atkins thing but I don't want to follow a structured eating program. I start wanting foods I can't have. So, I try and calorie count and just keep my carbs under 100. Maybe that is why I can't lose those 2 lbs and move on. Oh, I can't do physical exercise because I used Icy Hot Patches and developed AFib. My heart won't let me. Don't every use those pain patches. They mess with your heart.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #149  
Renaissance Woman

Mare, I can't eat that many carbs. It keeps my general daytime levels over 120s and fbg over 140s. When I'm under 60 gm, daytime levels seem to hover in the 110s and fbg in the 120s. And if I muscle them down to a consistent 20 gm, then daytimes are under 100 and fbg is close to 100. When I'm down that low, it's safe for me to go to my Pilates class because I always spike 20 points when I exercise, then drop 30 or more for the rest of the day.

But I also have to be careful with how much protein I eat, especially later in the day. Can't really eat more than 30gm at dinner or fbg will go up.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #150  

Rie - thanks for the info. Makes sense. Yay for having fun in the pool tourney!

FBS was high after including beef in my meal last night. I'm starting to see a pattern with that, so I'll eat it very sparingly from now on.

Have a good Sunday.
Closed Thread