Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #151  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Maybe we should make a conversation thread of what makes you spike. Jane, I thought beef was on the Atkins / low carb plan because there are little to no carbs in it. Could it be how it was prepared?

I thought exercise was supposed to drop your points. Now I read what Georgia said and it makes me wonder.

Hmmm.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #152  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Mare: exercise causes temporary spikes, as we release glucose to feed the working muscles, and it takes a while to go down. Generally, it is back to normal within 2 hours, though we must be careful to just have water and a healthy snack after ward, no gatorades etc.
The high protein meal doesn't cause a spike, but over night, the liver will dump a lot of glucose into the system, (dawn effect) for many if we don't have a little carby snack before bed. It doesn't have to be large, or lots of carbs, but does make a difference. Even with metformin, I had trouble with fasting sugars on atkins.
Georgia, be patient about the weight loss with atkins. It will happen and you will feel better, you sure had unusual side effects, so hope you are back to normal soon.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

Mare - I too have been craving salty foods, but I retain fluid and really shouldn't eat a lot of salt. I don't raise any foods. My 2nd hubby loved raising our food and we had a place in the country when he was living and we raise our own veggies, chickens, turkey, and ducks. I loved having fresh eggs and veggies. I really miss that but my present hubby isn't into that and I don't think he has the stamina to do it any way.

Rie - Sorry about the internet problems. Hope the problem is straightened out. Sorry you didn't win the tourney but glad you enjoy it.

Mad - I'm so sorry about the problems with your job that is bringing you such stress. I will be praying for you that you will find something better. You are so good at what you do and you are one of those nurses that we really need because you love what you do. I do pray that you will find the place where your abilities will be much appreciated and things won't be so stressed out. Good thoughts and vibes coming your way

Georgia - I really don't want to go as low as Atkins Induction on my carbs, but I think I'm learning that I need to keep them rather low. I really do not
want to count anything, but I do see how so many of us even on other threads here on 3fc not just diabetics seems to have to eat so much less carbs. I have found myself craving sweets especially chocolates. Last night I felt a craving of salty foods coming on. You know like one of those times when you alternately crave sweets and the salt. Thank goodness I didn't give into it. So I've decided that for a while, I am going to do a low carb way of eating and get my carbs only from the veggies that I eat and very little fruit.

Jane - In the beginning after diagnosed T-2, I checked bg after most of the foods or meals that I ate. I was amazed to learn what made my bg rise. There were foods like oatmeal that we are told diabetics can eat and it is good for them to eat made my bg skyrocket. Even my dr was surprised, but he said "the numbers don't lie". This is a journey of learning what works for each of us individually. I am confident you will find yours.

I've learned that there are some things I just can't do even occasionally. I think the low carb kind of takes care of the fluid retention another reason why I need to do low carb, because if I don't do low carb, I can't eat any salt at all because I can gain as much as 6 lbs by eating salty/carby foods just in one day... I'm that sensitive to them. I gained 2 lbs in one day. Why I'm having to get strict right now. So as I said above, I am going to have to limit my carbs to just the veggies and a very limited amount of fruit. Fruit will be mostly berries and maybe an apple and now that I'm not taking Metformin I can have grapefruit which is my favorite.

Here's hoping that we all have a great week.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-22-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #154  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all,

I will be in a rush tomorrow morning so I thought that I would drop in a post here tonight. I had a day of rest. I am retaining fluids and it is not a comfortable feeling. The plan is lots of water tomorrow, and a good workout in the morning.

I am not aware that beef can spike bs but I know that if I don't have a small (15 grams) carby snack with a little protein at night, I have higher fasting numbers. As Mad explained, my bs spikes immediately after exercise and then becomes more stable with regular exercise.

As to things that spike us.... bread - even high fiber bread is a problem for me. It always spikes me and makes me hungry. I do well with small amounts of dark chocolate and high fiber fruits like apples.

Trish, I can't eat oatmeal, either. I miss it. I don't miss having chickens and such around anymore. We get great fresh eggs from the local huderite colonies in the area. Great produce.

Mare, every bit of info I have found is that even small amounts of working out will stabilize bs over time.

Jane, did you have a small snack at night? Or was there a sauce on the beef with sugar?

Georgia, I hope that you find some balance that works for you.

Mad, did you sweat that virus out? I hope so.

Ruth, I hope that the festival went smoothly and that you enjoyed yourself.

Later Gators!

Rie
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #155  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yet another quick check-in after a terrifically busy few days. Our Maple Syrup festival went well and I resisted MOST of the temptations. BGL is the usual 4.3 this morning but weight is up to 181 again - some of it is water retention but the rest may be real as I did give in to some carby temptations.

I am considering going back to using Fitday again to track my carbs. My problem is that I need lots of fibre - bowel cancer in my family - and it's hard to get the fibre without adding more carbs. I aim for 25 - 30 grams of fibre but ... I guess it's time to go back to constant meal planning AND sticking to the plan! (The planning part is easy!)

Anyhow, I'm off to the gym very shortly and will try not to feel too guilty about the weekend deviations.

Edited to Add: My gym buddies wimped out this morning as we got a dump of snow last night! The scheduled driver decided she just couldn't brush the snow off her car because she'd "put away the snowbrush"! I'm going on my own, just a bit later so I can hit the bank when it opens.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #156  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Jane, when it comes to eating beef, well, I LOVE it. But I've had to adjust when and how much. My numbers tend to be lowest around midday, so I like to eat a small filet mignon or NYstrip with salad and avocado for lunch, then go really veggie with some fish at dinner. My bg responds just fine with that. I just can't have beef at dinner or breakfast. (Yes, already tested for steak and eggs, one of my favorite, but can't do that in the morning.)

Mare, it really depends on what exercise I'm doing. Anything more than walking makes it go up and any time of the day, but about an hour after that, depending on how hard the workout was, it can drop down into the low 70s and then stay below 100 for a few hours, even when I eat. Like last week, I went for my training session and my trainer had me doing HIIT and squats, pushups, plus weights. I had gone in at 116, and right after was at 124, but a couple hours later, after I ate a good lunch, 84. But the effect doesn't seem to carry into the next day, because I didn't do much of anything that day and all my daytime numbers when back into the 110s.

I spike on steel cut oats and every kind of whole grain and legume, despite what we've all been told. Even if there's fiber involved. I spike a little in the evenings on beef and pork, unless it's really fatty bacon. I don't seem to spike on poultry, eggs, lamb or fish. Or bison. Haven't tested any shellfish yet. As I understand it, if we have not eaten carbs, our body will use protein to make glycogen. When I totally overeat beef, that's what's happening.

Trish, I get my chocolate fix from munching on a tablespoon of roasted cocoa nibs every day. No sugar or fats added, a little fiber, and very good roasty chocolate flavor. I put on little nib in my mouth and nibble on it and let the cocoa flavor entertain me. At first, it's very disappointing not to get the rich taste and the sweetness, but I got used to it and now I love them!

I like your decision about how you want to eat, lots of veg and a little fruit. I'm going to be doing that as soon as my weight drops low enough so that it no longer impacts my fbg.

By the way, this morning my fbg was 125. I overindulged last night, on almonds! Could not stop myself! This morning I have a very small breakfast and took Ms. Daisy out for a half hour walk, and two hours after breakfast bg was down to 105. I just got all Hobbit-like and had second breakfast (kale and a poached egg). Later today I'm going to lunch with my godmother, so I'm going to try to steer her towards my favorite place to eat that serves lovely salads and a nice small portion of salmon.

As long as I get on top of things in the morning, when my ambition for the day is high, I think I can find balance throughout the day, Rie. I feel a lot less panic than I did two months ago. Still have to bring my appetite into submission in the evenings. Really, what's it gonna take for me to get over that?!

Ruth, that's my fiber goal too and it is hard to achieve when keeping carbs low. I took something called Super Colon Cleanse last week. It has psyllium as well as senna in it. It REALLY cleaned me out the first day, within an hour! The next day, a good clean out too, but it took two hours to achieve. Then I skipped two days. I took it again last evening because I hadn't had a BM in a couple days. It didn't work till this morning. I think it's because since I'm on induction and I'm not eating that much volume, I don't have much to pass along. The higher fats on Atkins seems to be getting used up, as is the protein. Before I ever considered cutting grains and legumes, I was having a lot more BM. I read some book that suggest 50 gm of fiber, but it was something to work up to. I have eaten as much as 45 gm in a day, but if it was all from veggies, I wouldn't have a BM for a couple days. Very odd!

Okay, I think I touched base with everyone! Hope you all have a great day!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #157  

Happy to say that ticker is accurate again today. Eating went very well yesterday as I went back on my 6 hr eating window. A lot of those doing the Fast-5 on 3fc seem to lean more toward the Paleo woe. I'm reading up on it as that woe makes since to me. I'm not sure I can do 100% Paleo, but I also read where some people do 80/20% Paleo. I really believe that I might be able to do that 80 to 90% Paleo. I guess I never really understood how Paleo works. After being on WW, I like the idea of eating a lot of fresh fruit and veggies along with protein. I love salads and I do eat a whole lot of salads and I think I'm mostly eating that way most of the time now so I'm going to just go for it.

I break my 18 hr fast each day with fruit and then eat 2 meals during my 6 hr eating window. I eat pretty much a balanced meal for my main meal and then eat a huge salad with protein of fish, beef or chicken and fat at my second meal. I drink lots of water and green/oolong tea during my fast and that keeps me satisfied.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #158  
I wanna be a loser, too

I want to thank all of you for having patience with me and working with me on this new journey. You would think that diabetes would treat each body the same but it is amazing how differently we all respond to different things.

I keep a log of my numbers. For some reason I am missing the 15th and 16th numbers. Even boobalah was surprised. He remarked that I'm obsessive about writing them down. I must have written them on a different hunk of paper and not the little strips I keep in the back pocket of my kit thingy. Oh well.

Liver and onions didn't do me much harm last night. Boobalah carmelized the onions which really brings out the sugar. He used some of his bacon that he cured. This one was a sweeter cure than the others. I also had a bit of mashed potato. Of course, 2+ cups of salad before dinner. My number before dinner was 95 and 126 afterwards. However, it didn't go down much over night. It was 115 this AM.

Patty - I take it you've been widowed as well. My 2nd hubby passed away in 1980. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him. He, too, loved to grow things. Fortunately, boobalah does as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #159  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
IPatty - I take it you've been widowed as well. My 2nd hubby passed away in 1980. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him. He, too, loved to grow things. Fortunately, boobalah does as well.
Yes, I have been a widow twice. Tony is my 3rd hubby. 1st time I was 22 when my guy passed away. We were married 1 1/2 yrs. 2nd time we were married 31 yrs. He was the love of my life and I think of him everyday and still miss him. However, I am thankful to have Tony in my life and we've been married 9 yrs.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #160  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Yes, I have been a widow twice. Tony is my 3rd hubby. 1st time I was 22 when my guy passed away. We were married 1 1/2 yrs. 2nd time we were married 31 yrs. He was the love of my life and I think of him everyday and still miss him. However, I am thankful to have Tony in my life and we've been married 9 yrs.
I'm sorry for your losses. I, too, was under 30. This is a whole different set of emotions. I've lost both parents and I've lost friends. The love of your life is another matter. I just hope and pray I NEVER experience the loss of a child. I can't fathom that type of grief.

I don't know what happened with my first husband. I don't care. I left him for the joys of a battered women's shelter. I left with the clothes on mine and my daughter's backs and never looked back.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #161  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

cruising on by....haven't read the posts, so i hope everyone is doing good. scale has been stuck at a stop sign and creeping through it. inch by little 1/4, 1/2 pound inch. started my spring cleaning. living room this week. i am sore from moving furniture yesterday. hope to get it somewhat together today. shampooed carpets, washed windows, blinds. now to get it back together.
have a great week.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #162  

Hi all,

Much to do today, so this will be short. Like many of you, I thought it was strange that beef would be the culprit of elevated FBS. But, my meals are so routine, with usually chicken or fish, lots of veggies, and a complex carb. I limit fruit to twice a day and call it dessert. Both times that my sugar was up, I had had beef the night before. Like goeblewis, I guess I will have to limit beef to lunchtime. Thanks for that tip, since my numbers are smaller in the midday, too.

The sun is shining, and I have lots to do. Better get at it! Have a good day.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #163  
I am the mirror!

S/C/G: 292.5 / Goal 135

Height: 5'7"

Exercise is off for a while...I killed my foot. slid on some water my daughter spilled now i am sitting here saying OWE! everytime I move my bruised foot.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #164  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

BBM! Hope the pain goes away soon!

I had some light bulb moments today. Went to my private training, did some reading about losing weight, or rather, not gaining weight while taking insulin. Since the meds don't make me feel good at all and I've stopped taking them, I've been wondering what's next for me. The Atkins is going well and my morning numbers are looking pretty good (for me) and my daytime numbers are looking even better, like almost normal!

I read something on a different forum about how people on insulin succeeded to lose weight. They all said the same sort of thing, that they decided how much insulin to take and ate the amount of carbs that correlated to that, and not the opposite. They didn't take insulin to deal with all the carbs they wanted to eat. It started a thought in my head...maybe if I were accomodating my pancreas in the state she were in, is that what eating low carb is all about?

Do I just need to find the level of carbs my pancreas can actually handle and then stick to that? Because it's not zero carbs. And it's not 50 carbs, or 40 carbs. It's getting closer to 30 carbs or even 20 carbs. And it's not overeating at any meal but keeping them small, like under 500 calories. And to not do anything more than walking in the mornings, then I can do Pilates and weight training later in the day when my blood sugar can handle it. And going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time.

So that's what I'm doing now, living to accomodate my pancreas and other related organs. Still eating lots of veggies to accomodate my liver. Still drinking lots of water to accomodate my kidneys. Still exercising to accomodate my heart and lungs. I really hope this is the answer for me.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Fbs at 89 this morning and I went on a 3.5 mile walk at a really good pace. It was a lovely spring morning and I enjoyed the fresh air. The grain and sugar beets are both up in the fields and it is nice to see that sign of the season.

I am having a stressful work week and I will be glad when I get past these things. Only a couple more days now. I am starting to believe that stress can really raise my bs, as I have been up a few points for no apparent reason.

Georgia, I really like the idea of eating at the level that your body can handle. Whatever works.

BBM, so sorry about your injury. I hope you get better soon.

Jane, good for you! This is all about figuring out how your own body reacts.

Chipper, would you like to come to Montana and clean my house? I sure need to do it.... Unfortunately, I'd rather clean my boat.

Mare and Trish, I am amazed that you both have suffered the loss of spouses. So sorry. that is really hard.

Mad and Ruth, I hope everything is going well for you this week.

Rie

Closed Thread