Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Dieting with Diabetes -- Summer 2008

Well . . . Good Morning . . . looks like things are stable around here this morning. I was going to wait until the first day of Summer to start a new thread for the hot and humid season; but yesterday's meltdown seems like an appropriate place to close up the Spring version, somehow . . . so . . . here we are . . .

to the dieting with Diabetes seasonal support/chat thread! This is the place to check in regularly, share and receive support, and get to know one another. Lets encourage one another all we can as we live day to day with this disease.

We are glad you are here! If you are a newbie, please feel free to join right in! And don't forget to go an add a bio in the Getting to Know You thread up in the Sticky area.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Just a couple of things I noticed . . .

If you've joined the group since the end of April, I'm afraid your bio information has gone; so when you get a chance, maybe you could post another entry in the Getting to Know You Sticky.

Seems that the tickers got set back to the May 23 level as well so you might need to update yours -- I know I did.

Okay -- yesterday was a beautiful and sunny day in northern Nova Scotia and I spent most of it at the car doctor getting my Subaru's annual physical. Today, unfortunately, doesn't look quite so nice and bright. BGL nor great shakes either yesterday or this morning, but the weight blip has dropped back down again so everything isn't bad.

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking day today and I'll see you later.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Height: 5'1"

So glad to see the new Summer title and I hope all goes well from here. Yesterday was a bit stressful...LOL, to say the least? I am going to look at the sticky you mentioned. Hope things are better for you Meowee.

Last edited by PeggyJ; 06-07-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #4  

I've started reading the Insulin Resistance Diet. Anyone
doing this program here?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome, frogponder! I don't know, but fill me in on the details so I can look it up. I think that is where I started this Type 2 journey a few years ago, before I was diagnosed 20 months ago. Insulin resistance, I think I figured it out too late. Looking forward to getting to know you. It's a good group. Kathy

Okay, all the rest of you. I still must be on that 30 day "waiting period", unless I am just a nit wit--I can't seem to get a tracker onto the bottom. Will they let me know when I can do that, or will the one I made just pop up one day? I have enough posts, with the crash adjustment.

Am on call tomorow. Talk to you all in the evening.

Last edited by TappingPeony; 06-07-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Another question, which I already deleted once because I forgot which thread I was on. Do I have to re-subscribe to this thread? I keep having to jump off the Spring one to get here. Or what do I need to do? Just say it, if I am being a nit wit, It's okay.

Thanks, Kathy
Old 06-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Yes KATHY . . . the subscriptions list reset to May 23 also -- basically it's just like the last couple of weeks never even happened around here . . . so the system doesn't know that you've already done your 30 days and 30 posts, either. What can I say . . . life just stinks sometimes. Keep an eye on your post count under your avatar and it will tell you when you get over 30 again.

Hi FROGPONDER . . . that's not a plan I'm personally familiar with although it must be in the GI/GL family from the sound of the title. I'm also the Mod over in Sugar Shakers which is becoming a home for all of the controlled GI plans (except South Beach which is sooooo popular it has its own forum). You might want to ask your question over there and/or in General Diet Plans -- both are in the Diet Central area.

Turned almost hot yesterday after the sun decided to shine. Today, it's dull again and, although fairly cool, it feels 'muggy' somehow. Guess we are jumping right into summer without a passing thought to Spring. At least it isn't snowing. BGL bipped up to 7.9 (142) this morning and weight blipped down to 220. Wish I could get them both going down and consistently.

Okay gang . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of Sunday and I';; see you all later . . .

Last edited by meowee; 06-08-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: TYPING ERRORS
Old 06-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #8  

Morning everyone,
Nothing much going on here today but the phone has not rang yet...that is usually when I look at my husband and say "Let the Race begin" LOL My bs was 220 this morning! Geesh! I guess it was the cooked baby carrots I ate four bites of last night...give me a break! Weight is stuck forever at 175 I think.
I hope today improves for me and it is a happy one for the rest of you!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #9  

Haven't done the intro yet - am type 2 and have been for
a couple of years. I'd looooove to lose weight. I have good
eating habits - I think my biggest challenges is probably fat-
peanut butter (sugar free) and nuts. Exercise is my other
challenge (with school out soon and college daughter home
we are planning on walking in the morning).

From the first skimming - the crux of the Insulin Resistance
diet is to keep carbs at 30, or below, for each meal or snack
and pair it with protein. So if you have 30 grams protein you
balance it with 14 grams protein. Serving sizes are portioned
into 15 and 7 grams increments. This makes it smaller than my
45 to 60 grams carbs allowed for meals from nutritionist from
my 'how to be type 2' classes.

My dad is showing some numbers, 6.6, that his doctor didn't like
so he tried the program and has lost 6 pounds in two weeks
(sigh..... men......).

I think I've lost my ability to do links... but the book is on the
Barnes and Noble website and is by Cheryle R. Hart and
Mary Kay Grossman. I'll noodle around the other sites and look
when I have time (three more days of school - yipppeeee!)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Peggy . . . a few carrots shouldn't hurt you at all . . . carrots originally got a bad rap in the GI world because 50 useable grams of carb from carrots does have a pretty high GI but that is about 16 large carrots and nobody (not named "Bugs") would eat that many. When you consider serving size (that's what GL is all about) carrots come out to be a pretty healthy vegetable for anyone. I'll explain the differences in more detail when I get time to putt back the GI/GL explanation on the Sugar Shakers FAQ board. My guess wouyld be that you went hypo in the night sometime and your liver kicked out too much glycogen to compensate.

That sounds pretty much like the general guidelines for most of the low GI plans, FrogPounder except perhaps a bit more strict regarding the exact gram counts for carbs and protein. Glad it's working for your Dad so well. Oh my Peanut Butter definitely one of my triggers so I avoid it most of the time. :
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #11  

Good info Meowee...I knew this but had forgotten it! And I bet the carrots I ate equaled 1/4 cup and no more. I am telling you the tiniest baby carrots you have ever seen to not be slivers or shreds! With that I had stewed yellow squash with just a bit of onion, and what I called "fried" Sweet Potatoes, I cooked them in a skillet of water until tender and then pour the water off completely and put 1 tsp Omega 3 smart balance spread in the hot skillet and "fry" them until brown. I thought it was a healthly supper! How do I check to see if I am bottoming out during the night? Wake hourly and check my BS level? I have got to figure this out b/c I have a GD who is not quite 4 that I need to be here for b/c .....well, let me just say for MANY reasons! Still trying to just get a grip here! Any info will be appreciated! I am not so much worried about weight : as I am health! Night all!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

Good Monday Morning . . .

PEGGY . . . do you get up in the night to use the bathroom? . . . that would be a good time to check your BGL . . . otherwise doing one check around 2 to 3 am (about 6 to 8 hours after your last meal or snack) for a few nights might tell you something.

Speaking of BFL . . . mine was 6.9 / 124 this morning and the weight was down to 219.4 as well. Amazing when both come out fairly decent at the same time.

Looks like a and pleasantly warm (mid 70's) kind of day around here. I definitely want to thank everyone for keeping all the hot and sticky stuff to themselves so far and I truly hope that pattern continues, too.

Nothing too exciting on my real-world agenda. Got a few things to get done around 3FC still this morning and then hopefully I'll be able to get out and play.

Hope everybody else has a great day . . . see you later . . .
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #13  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi boy was it hard getting back to the new site,,but am here now after trying forever to find my password,,ha,,good for you Meowee,,bs and wt loss..(:
Hi to everyone else not really sure what I have missed in a few days,,has Rosey posted ?,,,and didn't see Rosetta either,,my bs was 145 this a.m. not good but had hubby bd party down at the kids yesterday and the pizza always runs it up,,plus a small piece of cake,,a good time was had by all,,today is really his bd so will cook a nice meal for him tonight,,

Kinda cloudy,,am wondering where summer is ,,,then I can complain about the heat,,ha ha,,have a great day all,,Jeanne
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #14  

Cool

Hi, all. Hot here today. I guess summer has arrived. Our office landlord will probably be sending us some ice cream to make up for the lack of air conditioning in our building. Just what I need. BGL was 133 this a.m. which is good for me. Was 119 on Friday. Doing poorly in the eating department.
Welcome Frogponder - look forward to reading your posts.
Meowee - thanks for setting up the new thread. I think it was about time.
Peggy - If your bgl continues to be high you should probably check with your doctor to adjust your meds.
Jeanne - I tried several times on Friday to get on the site. By the time it was finally up and running I didn't have time to post. Actually 145 bgl isn't bad for pizza and cake. Hope your dh enjoys his dinner tonight.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hello, everyone! I was diagnosed Type 2 less than 3 weeks ago. I had a fasting glucose of 214 and an A1C of 9.1 (if memory serves). My doc put me on Metformin even though I reeeeeeally didn't want to take it--low dose, though, of 500mg twice a day. I check my glucose twice daily now and have been doing a lot of reading.

Low carb, I believe, is what will work best for me, both mentally and physically. My goal is 50g or less carbs per day. I know that's lower than most would recommend (my doc suggested 150g per day), but from what I've been reading, it just makes sense. That's not to say I sit around and eat bacon fat all day--I'm also limiting my saturated fat intake, eliminating trans fats, and reducing sodium (also have high blood pressure that doesn't seem to want to budge despite consistent exercise and low sodium for more than a month).

I've been losing weight pretty consistently for a while now, and the recent increase in weekly losses I attribute to the Metformin since I was already eating very healthy before the diagnosis.

In less than 3 weeks, I've gotten my glucose levels to be pretty consistently below 150. My doc told me to test it before breakfast and before dinner, but I'm going to ask her about this next week because what I've read leads me to believe it makes more sense to test after eating (60-90 minutes after you begin your meal) to see if you're controlling any post-meal spikes.

Okay, I think I've babbled enough So anyway, that's me and my plan of attack
Closed Thread