Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #136  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Morning all...in 2 weeks at this time I will be by my brother's house and I am really excited . We only get to see each other once a year. We do talk alot on the phone and that is great, but seeing each other is wonderful. My bl was 98 today. Great.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #137  

Morning everyone..another rainy day here..it seems to be a cloudy,rainy summer here..my sl was 132 this am..it seems to me i had better control on the pills..now i take a fast acting insulin befor every meal and a longer lasting one at 5pm..my diet was very controlled in the hosp..lo carb,lo fat,sf..its easy to loose when someone brings you your meals and there is no access to any extra..l ots of lean protein,vegies and salads,and fruit and sf things for deseart..only limited carbs..like 1/2 cup od potatoes,or 1 slice of toast..i have to say at first i was to sick to care about food and later in rehab i burned up what i ate..the wound vac is a life saver..diabetics heal slow and my wound opened a week after surg and had another surg..then it got infected(long story) the vac is attached by tubes to my back with the speciall tape called tagaderm..then hooked to a machine which shrink wraps whole thing and provides suction which forces the wound to heal from the inside out..it saved my life but that doesnt mean i have to like it..the home health nurses change the whole thing every 3 days..i carry the machine and tubes with me every where..its healing and i should be done with it in a month or so..sry maybe more info than u wanted but it deals with an aspect of this disease we dont often think about..moder medicine has lots of new things..i have been trying to settle into a routine..of exercise and basic functions..and trying to become as independent as i can..every day i learn to do things that are normal but it takes me longer..its so frustrating..but im home so its all good..i did some crafting yesterday and that felt good.. we had the mil for dinner and my daughter and here family came to help for the weekend to give my dh a break..its nice to be with family..hope u are all having a great weekend..mewoee thats some scary looking eye and looks sore..hope the kitty's ok..nice to meet the new folks and for all rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 07-06-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #138  
Hunger-not an emergency!

Rosey...I hope that all goes well for you. You are in my prayers and thoughts.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #139  
Hunger-not an emergency!

Good morning...my bgl was 84 this am. Did good yesterday...had cereal and milk for breakfast, a buritto for lunch. Peach for snack and another buritto. For dinner we had chicken marinated with light zesty italian dressing, augratin potatoes, green beans and salad. After one serving of the potatoes I thought that I wanted more, but said to myself that salad was better and that is what I had. After dinner I cut up the meat and did lunches for dh. That felt really good. Yeah for me. Have a great day.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #140  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Goodness, it's quiet in here today? I know I've had a very busy one and guess most others are in the same boat. Hopefully we'll all be able to get chattier tomorrow . . .
Old 07-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Height: 5'1"

Sorry I did not post today until late either! Today has just been busy the whole day! I can't tell I got much done but I was not still a moment...go figure! I did go to Emily's a go through her closet to see what we needed for her and straightened all her drawers. I loved being in her Tinkerbell Room too! Best get going here I have a ton to still do!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #142  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hey Rosey so glad to see you back and read your post,,am glad to hear you are on the mend,,sounds like you really had a time of it girl,,hope you continue to get better,,,
Hi to everyone else sounds like everyone is doing pretty good,,glad to hear that,,,my foot is better,,not healed all the way but much better,,thanks all for the concern,,looks like I am going to have to break down and go in and get my tendons on the back of my feet done,,I will know more after I see a specialest,,just can't hardly do the pain anymore with them and doing a shift is a nightmare,,bs are not real high but still running high this am 149,,I still am taking my regular meds,,later all and have a great evening,,,Jeanne
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #143  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

So, here I am, sown about 30 pounds so far, and now I'm considering gastric bypass. Just like I was diagnosed with my diabetes after I had started eating healthier and exercising regularly. Yeah, I like to do things backwards

Anyway, I'm considering the surgery now not because of my weight, but rather because it is more than 80% effective in sending type 2 diabetes into full remission, and longer-term studies have shown that the diabetes remains in remission for at least 10-15 years (so far--time will tell how much longer the effects will last).

And it's not just as a result of the weight loss, as the remission can occur in as little as about 3 days from surgery, sometimes even less (immediately). Studies have linked the remission of the diabetes to the disconnecting of the duodenum from the bottom of the stomach.

For obesity alone, I did not want to consider surgery, but if it can send my diabetes into remission, it is worth a second glance. Most important to me right now is have healthy pregnancies in the future, and having a lower weight and no diabetes symptoms will greatly reduce my risks of complications during pregnancy.

Anyway, that's what's been on my mind. I already called my insurance company, and they cover it 100% with proof of medical necessity and when performed at an in-network hospital. My doc had already brought up the topic of lab band, so I know she would support me in providing proof of medical necessity. Now it's just up to me to weigh my options and the risks/benefits...
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #144  
Onward and Downward

I think I'm just misreading your post a bit . . . you do know that it has to be gastric bypass not lap-banding to achieve the almost immediate diabetes remission effect.

I read the same article (or similar) with great interest and then discovered that it is not recommended for those of us over age 65. If I were your age, I'd be considering it very strongly myself.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Height: 5'1"

That is a hUge step tp take Jilly Bean! I have no knowledge of it but PLEASE research research research BEFORE you do it ok? You can educate all the rest of us on it as you do your research! I AM NOT trying to disuade you I just want you tio know ALL IT ENTAILS! Keep us posted as well?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #146  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I think I'm just misreading your post a bit . . . you do know that it has to be gastric bypass not lap-banding to achieve the almost immediate diabetes remission effect.
Yes, it has to be a procedure where the duodenum is actually bypassed, not just a band. There are a few surgeries that do this--the duodenal switch, the typical (roux-en-y) gastric bypass, the mini gastric bypass...but yeah, it has to be a full surgery, not just a band. They can do the surgeries laparoscopically for most people now, but I'm not sure if that is possible for me since I have had open abdominal surgery in the past. That will have to be for the surgeon to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJ View Post
That is a hUge step tp take Jilly Bean! I have no knowledge of it but PLEASE research research research BEFORE you do it ok? You can educate all the rest of us on it as you do your research! I AM NOT trying to disuade you I just want you tio know ALL IT ENTAILS! Keep us posted as well?
Of course! I've been doing a lot of reading already, including first-hand accounts from people who have had the various procedures done. I've also not only been reading random experiences and biased articles or sources, but also actual published medical studies. I will discuss it with my doctor at my next appointment in August.

Based on my reading, the mini gastric bypass might be a good option. The duodenal switch is typically recommended for the super obese, so I don't really qualify since my BMI is below 50. The mini gastric bypass has an operation time of only 30-60 minutes, and you're typically out of the hospital within 24 hours. It doesn't make the stomach as tiny as in the roux-en-y gastric bypass, but it still makes it smaller and bypasses the duodenum. Studies have shown it to be just as effective as the regular gastric bypass with fewer occurences of complications, plus it is reversible should you have problems with it.

You're absolutely right, meowee, that one of the reasons I'm seriously considering it is my age. Being 25, I can control my diabetes with diet, exercise, and medication as well as I possibly can, but it's pretty much inevitable that the disease will progress as I get older. It will take its toll on my organs, my nerves, my eyes, etc., and taking medications for the rest of my life will strain my liver and kidneys.

From a very basic standpoint, here's how I see it: I'm going to need close medical follow-up for the rest of my life either way. I'm going to have to carefully restrict what I eat for the rest of my life either way (as very low carb works best for me to control my glucose). I'm going to have to take pills for the rest of my life either way, and I believe those pills being supplements instead of medication would be easier on my body. For me having another 50-60 years of life remaining (God willing!), I'm going to have to deal with risks either way. I think the potential to have my diabetes go into full remission outweighs the risks of surgery for me at this time. It might be different if I already had kids, but I don't right now, and I've been under anesthesia for major surgery before without complication (not that that's a guarantee of safety, I know, but previous experience is helpful in knowing what to expect and look for).

Sorry to blab so much about it...I just don't want anyone to think I'm making a rash decision! And this is all just based on my own thoughts and research--I will still be having in-depth discussions with my doctor and any potential surgeons, as well as likely a counselor and nutritionist with bariatric surgery expertise.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #147  
Hunger-not an emergency!

Hi all..just marking my spot and saying hi.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #148  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Oh JILL . . . I really like your thought patterns girl. definitely sounds like your ducks (chickens ) are lined up correctly and if I was your age, I'd be thinking exactly the same way. This is a progressive disease and the longer you have it, the worse the odds of complications.

Well, I got up before 4 am this morning and that definitely resulted in a better BGL reading at 5.4 / 97 . . . but the scale- is up a pound again so I guess he wanted a little longer to sleep. Would be nice if I could get them both to be low at the same time.

I've spent the morning cleaning closets (one of those things I have to be 'in the mood' for). I was ruthless about it -- eight big bags of garbage and three big bags for the SallyAnne. I'm proud of myself. If it wasn't so h**lishly hot and sticky I'd go tackle the garage next, but it is just too hot out there.

Speaking of lower-carb eating for Diabetes, apparently the ADA has finally decided to get on board (somwehat) . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...arb_diets.html

Okay everybody, see you later . . .
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #149  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all beautiful day,,bs at 125 this am..have a great day all,,jeanne
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #150  
Eating for two!

Thanks for that link, meowee!

In related news, it appears the best bread fodiabetics may NOT be whole grain bread, but sourdough!
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...707?hub=Health
Which is awesome because I LOVE sourdough bread
Closed Thread